• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Summer 2012 Anime |OT2| Of Suspended Anime Due To Olympics

Status
Not open for further replies.

firehawk12

Subete no aware
That's not much worse than Gintama's laziness->character development->plot advancement->back to status quo formula.

And it will probably change in a few weeks when Ranmaru gets introduced.
The difference being that Gintama has a giant cast to draw on to switch it up whereas Binbougami seems to be stuck with the two.

The difference being that Gintama has a giant cast to draw on to switch it up whereas Binbougami seems to be stuck with the two.

Kind of hard for a monthly series that hasn't been going on for at least a decade to compete with a massive WSJ series.

Give it time though. The world of gods is humongous. Comparing the whole of Gintama to 5 episodes of another show isn't really fair. It's not like Gintama had 8 billion characters from the very beginning (the first 2 filler eps don't count because they sucked).

While Ichiko and Momiji are the main focus of Binbougami, it is building a wider cast.

Episode 2: Introduces and focuses on Bobby.
Episode 3: Introduces and focuses on Keita.
Episode 4: Introduces and focuses on Momou.
Episode 5: Further development of Keita and his family, introduction of Taro.

And of course, Gintama didn't exactly start with hundreds of characters.

firehawk12

Subete no aware
Kind of hard for a monthly series that hasn't been going on for at least a decade to compete with a massive WSJ series.

Give it time though. The world of gods is humongous. Comparing the whole of Gintama to 5 episodes of another show isn't really fair. It's not like Gintama had 8 billion characters from the very beginning (the first 2 filler eps don't count because they sucked).
You brought up Gintama though. lol
I don't mind the "Give it time" approach... except that, as they've said in the show themselves, it's a 1 cour show. It just seems like after a couple of premise episodes, there should be some kind of evolution so that half the series isn't the characters at a weird standstill.

While Ichiko and Momiji are the main focus of Binbougami, it is building a wider cast.

Episode 2: Introduces and focuses on Bobby.
Episode 3: Introduces and focuses on Keita.
Episode 4: Introduces and focuses on Momou.
Episode 5: Further development of Keita and his family.

And of course, Gintama didn't exact start with hundreds of characters.
The thing with Gintama is that they could always do a show about Kagura or Shinpachi if they had to (not to mention the Shinsengumi characters), so even if they're just doing the same thing over and over again (Gorilla wants to date Shinpachi's sister yet again) at least they can cycle through the cast so there's some variation between episodes.

Envelope

sealed with a kiss
Kuromajo 01

Ok this is completely adorable. I will continue watching.

Now you can upgrade to one of the best short shows, Morita-san wa Mukuchi!

OyMhh.jpg

featuring an MC voiced by Hanazawa!

I don't mind the "Give it time" approach... except that, as they've said in the show themselves, it's a 1 cour show. It just seems like after a couple of premise episodes, there should be some kind of evolution so that half the series isn't the characters at a weird standstill.

That's Sunrise's fault, not the series'. The manga is at 13 volumes and will probably continue for a long time. And there's also a lot more plot progression and character development in only a few volumes than the whole of Gintama.

cajunator

Banned
Now you can upgrade to one of the best short shows, Morita-san wa Mukuchi!

OyMhh.jpg

featuring an MC voiced by Hanazawa!

Yes I saw the name and immediately added this to the list.
Plus they are all doing the nyaa pose. I don't know why and I don't care why. but I like it.

Ultimadrago

Gunslinger Girl 4

Triela seems to envy Henrietta's relationship with her "brother." It's a given that the girls would be observant upon the matching relationships, since they are all in the same boat and don't have much else to go on about.

"Brother"
"Tool"

Different connotations for the same job, that could switch over to either Giuse or Jean. "An older figure to who you need to follow killing or apprehending orders from" is a circle from where both men exist despite their methods in leading their respective soldier.

On Triela's mission, funny thing, I had just watched Godfather Part I and II recently. Therefore, the whole business on mafia and witness protection shot to mind in an instant. In any case, it seems to be connected to some of Hirscher's story before he joined Social Welfare. A small remark also brings to light the trying relationship with this particular duo. If Giuse's chemistry is seen as positive while Jean's as negative, Hirscher's is on a balance beam leaning on the desire to join Giuse. THis applies to both Triela and Hirscher and it's a solid addition to have with the big picture. It comes off a bit unnatural to have it set in such a "tidy" fashion, but I would rather that than redundant perspectives. To see Triela and Hirscher make awkward attempts at becoming closer near
the end when Christmas time came around
was a solid way to end the episode.

As for visual direction, there was nothing too striking in this episode. A couple of dynamics for intimate discussion was all of the notable marks this time around. It was pretty standard with that aside. Nonetheless, I like the format of these episodes thus far. They are greatly episodic, but entertaining while offering character building.

firehawk12

Subete no aware
That's Sunrise's fault, not the series'. The manga is at 13 volumes and will probably continue for a long time. And there's also a lot more plot progression and character development in only a few volumes than the whole of Gintama.
Well, not in the first volume of the manga at least. :p

Sengoku Collection 18

To sum up this episode in one neat little sentence:

Unlucky bandaged moe girl starts writing letters.

This episode did have really nice background, much nicer than other episodes. Took me like half the episode to realized that this wasn't in Japan but in some country that used the Euro. But, really nice backgrounds at least.

Next week we finally get Mitsuhide Akechi!

And it doesn't look like there'll be any actual plot related things happening.

The thing with Gintama is that they could always do a show about Kagura or Shinpachi if they had to (not to mention the Shinsengumi characters), so even if they're just doing the same thing over and over again (Gorilla wants to date Shinpachi's sister yet again) at least they can cycle through the cast so there's some variation between episodes.

Of course Gintama is the better and more varied series, but at the same time it took a lot longer than 5 episodes/manga chapters for it to get there. It is unfortunate that Binbougami is only 1-cour, as I'd like to see later manga material adapted. But a split-cour is certainly still a possibility, like Medaka Box whose timeslot it took over.

I do think the current Binbougami arc has potential to change the character dynamics a bit, though not having read this far into the manga I can't if it will for sure.

Articalys

It's interesting to note that, despite the full top 100/50 DVD/BD lists being released, we still have this:

**,*** *0 Medaka Box [DVD+BD]: 2012/07/25
**,*** *0 Shining Hearts ~Shiawase no Pan~ [DVD+BD]: 2012/07/27

meaning those two were ultra-bombas.

Also, the BD for the Working!! concert event sold 2,965 and the DVD sold 3,534.

survivor

Banned
It's interesting to note that, despite the full top 100/50 DVD/BD lists being released, we still have this:

What's the lowest known sales figure on the list?

Also, the BD for the Working!! concert event sold 3,534.

Kinda amazed that Medaka Box is still getting a second season.

At least Japan knows better than to buy Shining Hearts.

Articalys

What's the lowest known sales figure on the list?
823 for DVD, 1,470 for BD

Here's the stuff that was outside the normal Tuesday rankings:

BD
-- (21) -- *3,404 **3,404 *1 Senki Zesshou Symphogear v5
-- (22) -- *3,365 **3,365 *1 Jormungand v2
-- (23) -- *3,274 **3,274 *1 Mardock Scramble Nenshou
-- (24) -- *3,239 **3,239 *1 AKB0048 v2
-- (28) -- *2,628 **2,628 *1 Uchuu Senkan Yamato BD Box
-- (29) -- *2,576 **2,576 *1 Shakugan no Shana III -Final- v8
-- (30) -- *2,554 **2,554 *1 Nazo no Kanojo X v2
-- (33) -- *2,435 **2,435 *1 Rinne no Lagrange v4
-- (34) -- *2,432 **2,432 *1 Last Exile -Ginyoku no Fam- v7
-- (35) -- *2,405 **2,405 *1 Queen's Blade Rebellion v2
-- (37) -- *2,148 **2,148 *1 OVA ToHeart2 Dungeon Travelers v2
-- (38) -- *2,086 **2,086 *1 Kore wa Zombie Desu ka? Of the Dead v3
-- (40) -- *2,067 **2,067 *1 Tsuritama v2
-- (41) -- *2,037 **2,037 *1 Sakamichi no Apollon v1
-- (42) -- *2,018 **2,018 *1 Natsu-iro Kiseki v2
-- (44) -- *1,889 **1,889 *1 Another v5
-- (45) -- *1,880 **1,880 *1 Tasogare Otome x Amnesia v2
-- (47) -- *1,636 **1,636 *1 Zero no Tsukaima F v6
-- (48) -- *1,534 **1,534 *1 Mirai Nikki v8
-- (49) -- *1,523 **1,523 *1 Kidou Senshi Gundam AGE v6
DVD
-- (*76) --- *1,096 *,**1,096 **1 Hyouka v2
-- (*78) --- *1,086 *,**1,086 **1 AKB0048 v2
-- (*80) --- *1,077 *,**1,077 **1 Queen's Blade Rebellion v2
-- (*83) --- *1,018 *,**1,018 **1 Shakugan no Shana III -Final- v8
-- (*89) --- **,939 *,**2,958 **3 Toki wo Kakeru Shoujo (7/2012 rel.)
-- (*96) --- **,839 *,***,839 **1 Beelzebub v14
-- (*98) --- **,823 *,*35,385 **6 Kokurikozaka Kara LE

Man, I really hope Medaka s2 doesn't bomb. If it follows the manga sales, it would do exponentially better as the genre shift has occurred. Will probably still bomb though :(

Of course Gintama is the better and more varied series, but at the same time it took a lot longer than 5 episodes/manga chapters for it to get there. It is unfortunate that Binbougami is only 1-cour, as I'd like to see later manga material adapted. But a split-cour is certainly still a possibility, like Medaka Box whose timeslot it took over.

I do think the current Binbougami arc has potential to change the character dynamics a bit, though not having read this far into the manga I can't if it will for sure.

The character dynamics will gradually change from this arc on until a certain arc that I'm hoping ends the season, where the dynamics change drastically.

Dresden

Sengoku Collection 18

Next week we finally get Mitsuhide Akechi!

My sudden interest in Akechi (not related to oda nobuna no yabou's akechi ofc) + Kaneko means I might actually watch this.

cosmicblizzard said:
Man, I really hope Medaka s2 doesn't bomb. If it follows the manga sales, it would do exponentially better as the genre shift has occurred. Will probably still bomb though :(
Bottom of the barrel like the manga, can't be helped.

It's almost like Zenikichi and Medaka are horribly boring characters that no one cares about. Should've started straight up from the end of the flask arc.

firehawk12

Subete no aware

If it's a split-cour, then maybe they'll be ready to change it up in the second half. Otherwise, they might have just considered skipping to the more interesting parts of the manga.

I'm with you on this. It's still a lot of fun, though.
Waiting for the #gamechanger!

Bottom of the barrel like the manga, can't be helped.

It's almost like Zenikichi and Medaka are horribly boring characters that no one cares about. Should've started straight up from the end of the flask arc.

Best case scenario, season 2 ends with
Kumagawa holding the blood covered screws saying "I know what you're thinking, but it wasn't me." followed by a "To Be Continued!" showing up on the screen.
Surely Japan will buy it then, won't they!?

cajunator

Banned

They should just give Hansode Shiranui her own show, like how Komugi from Soultaker got a fucking awesome little spinoff OVA series. At least cull the wheat from the chaff. Hansode deserved better.

They could have ditched some of the stuff in the beginning of Medaka box as the swimming episodes and then the Unzen episodes were really where the anime took off for me.

And Poor Rick, though I imagine that was made more to sell games than to sell bd discs.

If it's a split-cour, then maybe they'll be ready to change it up in the second half. Otherwise, they might have just considered skipping to the more interesting parts of the manga.

Well they're already skipping around, but they can't skip important character development arcs or later stuff would make no sense.

Envelope

sealed with a kiss

TkrST.gif

tumblr_m5vaefEsLt1rp65oto1_400.gif

Dresden

That second gif is going to give me a seizure.
Best case scenario, season 2 ends with
Kumagawa holding the blood covered screws saying "I know what you're thinking, but it wasn't me." followed by a "To Be Continued!" showing up on the screen.
Surely Japan will buy it then, won't they!?

That . . . that sounds like extortion, man. :(

Envelope

sealed with a kiss
Ending with a shot of the worst character seems like a bad idea to me!

dresden (or anyone else): I can take it out if it's really bothering you.

madp

The Light of El Cantare
Youre so lucky they make figurines of your characters :(

One thing that I think we can agree on is that the selection of figurines from shounen series is generally pretty poor, with the exception of One Piece. 90% of my anime figurines are One Piece, actually, hahahah.

Have I ever shown you guys a photo of my Tower of Shounen Power? It sits in a corner of my room as a testament to the kind of anime fan I used to be.

cajunator

Banned
One thing that I think we can agree on is that the selection of figurines from shounen series is generally pretty poor, with the exception of One Piece. 90% of my anime figurines are One Piece, actually, hahahah.

Have I ever shown you guys a photo of my Tower of Shounen Power? It sits in a corner of my room as a testament to the kind of anime fan I used to be.

post it.

survivor

Banned

The only OP figurine I wanna get the post timeskip Robin one.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom