• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Summer 2012 Anime |OT3| Where All the Waifus Are Made Up and the Points Don't Matter

Status
Not open for further replies.

madp

The Light of El Cantare
And I can't believe that the show pulled out from it's death spiral and actually became good again. I can't really think of any other examples that I've seen where a show has gone completely off the rails but then, miraculously, righted itself again. Then again that might just be because I tend to drop most of those shows when they start to decline in quality.

I think that at its worst, Jinrui was still fairly enjoyable--much of the upset came from the fact that it wasn't living up to its own standards rather than it actually being bad. I know that's the reason that I continued to stick with it through my disappointment, unlike Sankarea, where the material didn't simply become less stellar than it had been but descended into outright unenjoyability. I'm pleased to say that Jinrui has returned to being one of my favorite series of the year.

Oh god damn it. Commentary subs. If only it was 2 cents more expensive, I could buy it with free shipping.

Filler item! Surely they have individual Kurau: Phantom Memory volumes for like a dollar each on Rightstuf or something, hahah.

Envelope

sealed with a kiss
It sounds like you can speak with about as much authority on what ZKC is actually like as you can Gothicmade.

Methinks you misunderstood my meaning. Starting off with such a bad first episode gives a really poor impression of the series, which isn't a good thing for such a long series.

firehawk12

Subete no aware
hum kinda intrested , but the price seems weird ?
My real problem is : will be able to import one of these sets ?
The price is cheap, considering the F/Z sets. lol

And it looks like this one doesn't have import restrictions... probably because it is so old.

Filler item! Surely they have individual Kurau: Phantom Memory volumes for like a dollar each on Rightstuf or something, hahah.
My OCD won't let me have a random volume in a series unless I complete it. :(
I was planning on another 150 dollar order (Gotta support a GCCX release among other things)... but 300 bucks on anime yet again... ugh.

Gundam 0083 episode 12

horrible episode, I would have definitely bailed now if there wasn't only one episode left.
this has quickly fallen to worst Gundam territory, G finally getting some competition.

madp

The Light of El Cantare
My OCD won't let me have a random volume in a series unless I complete it. :(
I was planning on another 150 dollar order (Gotta support a GCCX release among other things)... but 300 bucks on anime yet again... ugh.

They sell anime paraphernalia. Just get keychain or something :p

cajunator

Banned
Undersea idols
Wild West idols
Sengoku idols
Time Travelling idols
Magical Girl idols
Futanari idols
My Little Idoru Can't Be This Cute
Etc etc

For about two whole episodes. lol.

Haven't we all suffered enough?

late 80s - early 90s anime got away with some of the most risqué things I've ever seen like that. I think ninja resurection had one of the most shocking scenes I've seen to date in any anime.

I dont like Ninja Scroll/ninja Resurrection for precisely that reason. It always kind of disturbed me how far they went in those movies.

Jex

Gundam 0083 episode 12

horrible episode, I would have definitely bailed now if there wasn't only one episode left.
this has quickly fallen to worst Gundam territory, G finally getting some competition.

715keq.gif

I just can't be hearing people diss G Gundam.

Ezalc

Gundam 0083 episode 12

OH FUCK NO. Wait, Wing avatar. Frysquint.gif, you're one of those. Nevermind, heathen.

Ultimadrago

Haibane Renmei 10

Sweet, more story on Reki. Her sisterly/motherly relationship with Rakka in the beginning could be explained by their similarities in life.
The path of a loner
is one in which they've both had a fair share.

The elder
lays out the basis for the Day of Flight
and the speculated wishes of those born under its principles. I was impressed with how the show transitioned from Reki speaking with the elder about
how she was not jealous of Rakka moving forward to her trying to keep Rakka from the responsibilities of a Haibane (going to the temple as punishment for touching the wall).

More amusing yet, is that it ends up being a
job
for Rakka! Even stronger a case for her moving forward as a Haibane.

SX1gl.png

Separation of Haibane

In any case, good episode with a direction I can get behind. I know that this episode largely focused on Reki, but I wouldn't mind a little more info in regards to her past with the Abandoned Factory in the next episode. Even if this isn't the case, I'm hopeful that the last few episodes will utilize their concentration effectively.

dimb

Bjergsen is the greatest midlane in the world
Hells
I definitely was not into this as much as some of the other people in this thread, which is a little unexpected in all honesty because I get the feeling I'm more into Dead Leaves and Redline than the people who really sunk into this.

I was into stuff when it was moving at a mile a minute without ever stopping to really explain itself, and things were generally more entertaining in those situations, but after some time it didn't really seem like the movie knew what it wanted to do with itself. Than the plodding explanations came out and I was just sort of bored of the whole affair. In the last half a lot of the impalpable ideas just didn't really translate well into scenes that were powerful, moving, or even very meaningful.

Oh, and the design work here definitely isn't up to par. It excels in the important areas and stuff but the periphery takes up a lot of space in this movie, and most of that looks extremely undercooked.

Still some cool stuff in the movie, but it seems more like unrealized potential than anything else.

715keq.gif

I just can't be hearing people diss G Gundam.
well, after the ending to 83 its looking a hell of alot better at least.

OH FUCK NO. Wait, Wing avatar. Frysquint.gif, you're one of those. Nevermind, heathen.
I just switched back to a Heero Yuy yesterday, the 0080 avatar I made yesterday didn't stand out enough.
but yeah im Wing biased.

G gave us the Nether Gundam. That alone elevates its status to being far from the worst.
gf13-050nsw.jpg

I actually like Nobel Gundam

cajunator

Banned
I will never forget episode 6. I guess you can call it PTSD.

That is the only really damaging episode. A couple episodes are just boring but not really bad. episode 6 is the only abysmal one and by anime standards it isnt ACTUALLY abysmal.

Those must be some commentaries if they're worth $200!
I watched a few episodes last night (6-8) and they really weren't bad at all. I think some are overestimating the decline in quality that occurred in the middle of the series.

Bakemonogatari is well worth what they're asking for it.
If companies have to raise prices to $100/boxset to stay in business so be it.

jman2050

Yuru Yuri S2 11

Hosada ain't got nothing on Toshino Kyouko.

Best episode since first of this season.
Being Akari is suffering ;_;

Articalys

$150

TQZdG.gif

And they know they can do it too, especially with pizzaroll's earlier revelation that they're hitting us with an $70 surcharge for English subs/commentary. Goddamn fuckers.

DiGiKerot

Hells

I definitely was not into this as much as some of the other people in this thread, which is a little unexpected in all honesty because I get the feeling I'm more into Dead Leaves and Redline than the people who really sunk into this.

Nah, I just think the people who it really resonated with are really vocal about the fact. I thought Hells was merely OK, but I really adore Redline.

I've yet to subject myself to Dead Leaves.

Dead

well not really...yet
$150 doesn't seem that unreasonable. You're at least getting a product put together with some semblance of care and regard for design quality unlike something put out by Funimation or Sentai.

Jex

I think that at its worst, Jinrui was still fairly enjoyable--much of the upset came from the fact that it wasn't living up to its own standards rather than it actually being bad. I know that's the reason that I continued to stick with it through my disappointment, unlike Sankarea, where the material didn't simply become less stellar than it had been but descended into outright unenjoyability. I'm pleased to say that Jinrui has returned to being one of my favorite series of the year.

I don't. Just so that my opinion on the show is clearly defined:

I found episode 3 & 4 to be rather average affairs that didn't interest me in the slightest. Episode 5 was pretty flat and episode 6 was a genuine mess that I disliked right up until the final scene. I didn't really mind episodes 7 & 8 but they had pretty awful pacing and I don't think they needed to be two separate episodes.

All the rest is good.

Mandoric

Banned
Those must be some commentaries if they're worth $200!

They're not!
At least, I didn't think they were special when I got stuck doing a bespoke version.

Can we discuss this tomorrow rather than today? I had it penciled in for a big trolling initiative, but I have a rush project about road maintenance that's due tomorrow morning.

Jex

G gave us the Nether Gundam. That alone elevates its status to being far from the worst.

I think it's important to quote from the character bio:

For the 13th Gundam Fight, Neo Holland takes an unconventional strategic approach to get to the Finals: not participating at all in the Gundam Fight. To accomplish this, the Nether Gundam is designed as a transforming mobile fighter that can become a windmill, which is what it does for 11 months. By hiding out and not fighting anyone, pilot Paul Bauhoben technically qualifies for the Finals. However, this devious tactic can't make up for his poor skills as a fighter. Though the Nether Gundam is armed with mega beam cannons and possesses the ultimate attack Nether Typhoon, it's simply inferior to everything else in the Finals. In every match he fights, Paul is quickly and easily defeated by his opponents.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom