• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Summer 2012 Anime |OT3| Where All the Waifus Are Made Up and the Points Don't Matter

Status
Not open for further replies.
LOGH 26
GOD DAMN!

HOLY SHIT.

That symbolism, with the fleets.

And dude been sitting in that room for like a month lol!

god damn... show is like only 1/4 done.

Goddamn.

Nothing to lose.

Nothing to lose.

But why did the art change? New staff?

at least wenli still looks the same.

The end of season 1 was awesome. Shit happens that you would not expect, and this happens in every season so its very unpredictable. :)

Hazaro

relies on auto-aim
LOGH 26
GOD DAMN!

HOLY SHIT.

That symbolism, with the fleets.

And dude been sitting in that room for like a month lol!

god damn... show is like only 1/4 done.

Goddamn.

Nothing to lose.

Nothing to lose.
You are getting me so excited I went and rewatched 22 and 23 to figure out where I was.
I forgot how fast it moves in Season 1.

LOGH 23
Yeaaaaaaaaaah

LOGH 24
AW YEAH

LOGH 25
Blonde's support group ep

LOGH 26
Aw shit it's this ep

cajunator

Banned
Space Brothers 23

Another great episode.

It turns out that
Yuuri withdrew from the Astronaut selection program in order to pursue a dream of discovering extraterrestrial life on europa.
That left room for Makabe to become the ninth person chosen.
Makabe and Mutta wish each other luck as they head to Houston to complete the exams and enter the program.
Also, Serika is really really really really really really really ADORABLE.

Hyouka Fin

What a fascinating and beautiful little series.

There are a few KyoAni shows that I'm totally in love with (FMP TSR, Nichijou), but most other stuff I've either outright disliked or simply didn't care about.

I'm not sure what it is about Hyouka that drew me in and compelled me to watch to the end, but there's no doubting that on a visual level it went above and beyond the TV standard. There was an incredible consistency in the art and animation throughout all 22 episodes that truly blew my mind.

The direction was subtle and nuanced, with each shot choice meant to reflect something beyond "this is pretty." It's an absolute shame that the novels are progressing so slowly, as I'm invested enough in these characters and relationships that I'd go out right now and pick up where the show left off.

Thoraxes

Moyashimon Returns - 05-06

Yes. YES. YEEEEESSSSSS.

LISTEN UP YOU CHICKEN SHITS. TODAY WE MAKE MISO.

Amazing stuff. The festivals have been awesome in this show.
Oikawa in dat bunny suit! Those pervert fans! The professor's political pull!

I can't wait to see how they get Haruka back, and what the whole deal with inviting her dad to the bar was.

Moms out here are fucking nuts.

Rgzru.jpg
RGeFS.jpg

nz28M.jpg
kntl7.jpg

Branduil

Stupidity Art Online 2

ibv3EzVr3jM8Nb.jpg

Ah, memories...

Why is everybody in this show so flipping stupid?
Why does he just let him die?
Why does everyone go along with the stupidity of blaming
the guy who just saved them?
Why does Kirito go full retard
and pretend to be a douchebag for no reason?
This all seems terribly contrived for the sole purpose of "explaining" why Kirito is a solo player.

This scene was insufferable. "Put cream on bread! I'm a genius." "I want to stay me, because me is who I am and if I'm not me I won't be myself any more." What am I supposed to be feeling during this scene? Is her vague and insipid statement supposed to be some kind of motivation?

It's easy to see why people are watching this show, because the art and animation are really quite pleasing and well-produced. On a writing level, however, this leaves much to be desired. The few with coherent motivations act like self-destructive idiots for no discernible reason. The only likable characters so far are Klein and Token Awesome Anime Black Guy.

cajunator

Banned
Space Brothers 24

Mutta is put on lawn mowing duty. It was interesting to see
how his approach to learning and solving problems is incredibly similar to how hibito does. The comparison between the Mutta operating the lawnmower and Hibito piloting a Moon vehicle was a neat touch.
Also there's this asshole
named Azuma who is angry because Hibito was chosen above him for the moon landing.
And worse, Mutta
has to take the final exam given by Azuma.

Stupidity Art Online 2

Why is everybody in this show so flipping stupid?
Why does he just let him die?
Why does everyone go along with the stupidity of blaming
the guy who just saved them?
Why does Kirito go full retard
and pretend to be a douchebag for no reason?
This all seems terribly contrived for the sole purpose of "explaining" why Kirito is a solo player.

This scene was insufferable. "Put cream on bread! I'm a genius." "I want to stay me, because me is who I am and if I'm not me I won't be myself any more." What am I supposed to be feeling during this scene? Is her vague and insipid statement supposed to be some kind of motivation?

It's easy to see why people are watching this show, because the art and animation are really quite pleasing and well-produced. On a writing level, however, this leaves much to be desired. The few with coherent motivations act like self-destructive idiots for no discernible reason. The only likable characters so far are Klein and Token Awesome Anime Black Guy.

Asuna definitely doesnt get more interesting.
The show is pretty much like you see here. Entertaining but pretty stupid. MMORPG animes tend to be fun.

Jarmel

Banned
So I decided to look at the Blood+ OP3 since I pretty much forgot how it looked. I'm mainly interested in figuring out some of Shiotani's directing style, not that you can tell much in a minute and a half.

Right off the bat, the colors and shading really jump out. It fits pretty well with the name of the Uverworld song, "Colors of the Heart". Going through the song I was very impressed by some of the angles such as this one:

Shiotani also loves his symbolism as there are a multitude of shots that are primarily symbolic in nature. I would say it focuses less on the physical components of the characters and rather the mentalities of them. There are tons of quick cuts as well but I can't really blame him as he has less than two minutes.

There were a couple of generic shots thrown in but I liked the way they were framed.

ibdHFYY360vMgY.jpg

This one being the usual, chase after the lead or heroine shot.

ihpZIgzRmg5Bd.jpg

This one being the usual height differential shot to represent the power difference between the two characters.

In the second screencap, I liked the way that the angle rotated to display behind Saya. Her positioning is also great in that it reflects the beast in her.

He does a great job of summing up what the show is about in a quick manner, all the while doing it stylishly.

I also looked at the fourth OP for a sense of comparison and holy shit is it flat. It definitely jumps less and has more 'action' shots but as a whole, it's much less impressive. People who were praising Shiotani's work for this OP were right in that he does use pretty creative visual angles. I'm really hoping Shiotani storyboards the Psycho-Pass OP as that would be a real treat to watch.

I feel like this is a Japanese thing. Enough scenes with dialogue like that exists for it to not just be a single moment of shoddy writing.

Branduil

Could it be that there simply isn't much good fantasy anime around in the last decade or so? The production values and designs of SAO seems to be unusual for the sort of setting it portrays in animation these days. Due to the "generic" MMO setting, the characters actually look like knights, warriors, wanderers, etc, and everyone carries swords. There are dungeons and fields, as well as towns and castles, etc. The bosses are relatively cool looking monsters, and I think there's a lot of nostalgia in terms of "hey we used to have shows like this when Lodoss War, Slayers, and Rune Soldier Louie were around!"

It's certainly an underserved genre these days, much like interplanetary sci-fi.

I feel like this is a Japanese thing. Enough scenes with dialogue like that exists for it to not just be a single moment of shoddy writing.

I've had similar stuff said to me by real people, so it really doesn't bug me much in animation.

It's certainly true to reality here for me, though I can see why other folks would be confused.

Jarmel

Banned
Maybe you'll be able to do more with this eight and a half minute chunk of Blood-C: The Last Dark.

Yea I've actually seen that clip already. His use of first-person around the 1:02 mark is fairly interesting although it seems kinda heavy on the CG. I do think the swaying depicts a good job of how unstable the guy is. He also likes to do camera sways in this way, as it's especially prevalent on the subway car sequence. Another particular unique shot is at the 3:04 mark where it zooms in at an angle instead of just doing a quick cut, it creates a more natural scene and also gives a good depiction of how small the subway car is. The shot at 6:49 is somewhat interesting as well, although I'm not sure what the point of this angle was. There's also some fairly good use of glares from lights, such as at 4:58 and 7:57, that I hope he uses in Psycho-Pass.

I also thought this was a good use of the top-down perspective as a way of creating verticality.

There are a couple of questionable stuff from the scenes such as the heavy use of CG in that it looks pretty unnatural and also why did Saya stop after getting off the subway car
it seems like she forgot that there was a monster on the loose until she heard the scream.

Branduil

I think it's pretty funny that Kirito is known as The Black Swordsmen, which is the same title that Gut's from Berserk shoulders. There's even a Kirito/Asuna and Guts/Causca thing going on, except that the characters in Bersek are far more interesting. It's certainly an unfavourable comparison. At least SAO has 2D armour.

I think what it shows is that the author is kind of uncreative with names.

Boy-howdy will you enjoy the second season!

What second season?

You know how Jexhius likes to make things up sometimes.

Theonik

I have access to all sorts of cuisine. McDonald's, Burger King, Subway, Domino's, gas station hot dogs. Diversity!
image.php

this can't be happening
Glad I dropped it after the first episode it seems I should keep it that way.

Actually, you reminded me that, amidst all the visual splendor, there was one rather bad-looking CG umbrella in the final episode.

Not only does it look bad, I was at a loss for why they did it. The umbrella remains static in this shot, and the handle itself is hand-drawn. I'm curious as to why they used CGI here when it added nothing.
To make you talk about it of course!

BGBW

Maturity, bitches.
Sword Oh cajunator's heart Online

Glad to see this show is really pushing the boundaries of this medium by introducing a new character by the name of Yui.

Branduil

That's weird. I would think something like that would stay in people's memories. If you may remember, it's a little bit different from the first season of Darker than Black because they changed the protagonist to:

suou3b.jpg
to:

Remember? It's pretty kawaii.

What was great about the first season is that even if a character like this existed, they would always end up
dead
by the end of the 2-episode arc.

Okay, since I haven't seen anyone complaint and cry about this yet, and there's no article on ANN, I shall have to make this post. I'm sorry.

http://www.oreshura.net/

The official site for the Ore no Kanojo to Osananajimi ga Shuraba Sugiru anime has been updated. As the title suggests, this is an adaptation of one of the 50,000 different Ore<something> Light Novel variants flooding the Japanese otaku market. This time it is about how the guy's girlfriend and his childhood friend fight all the time, or something.

The update states that the A-1 Pictures adaptation will start broadcasting in the upcoming Winter season, in January. The staff have also been announced:

Director: Kanta Kamei (Bunny Drop)
Series Composition: Tatsuhiko Urahata (Natsuiro Kiseki)
Character Design: Mai Otsuka (Astarotte's Toy)
Music: Masatomo Ota
Production: A-1 Pictures

Yup, the director of Bunny Drop is doing this next:

Gotta pay the bills somehow I guess.

Too bad the "retina" screen can't fix the art too.

That will be in the next-generation Macbook. All images of faces are automatically replaces with the face of Steve Jobs.

So maybe we can conclude with the general assessment that SAO is extremely popular because it is:

- a relatively serious take on what it would be like to be trapped in a VRMMORPG with perm death, complete with working game mechanics and various gameplay systems explained.

- a pure fantasy setting with attractive visuals both in the environments and the character and monster designs.

- a wish fulfillment fantasy where the main character is popular, capable, and cool, while the other characters play pre-defined roles intended to boost the ego and dependability of the main character.

- A relatively entertaining popcorn action adventure narrative which generally doesn't offend, and offers solid narrative beats along the way for the lowest common denominator in terms of comfort food.

That sounds about right.

The story in SAO is pretty fucking dumb though

Series Spoiler!

*no*

BGBW

Maturity, bitches.
I've just finished listening to the first Manga UK podcast and I can safely that it contains very little information that anyone in this thread would care about. Rather than being, say, a news or review show it skewers extremely heavily towards information about publishing anime, specifically publishing anime in the UK. This will be of interest to very few people.
So I guess it was a rather short podcast then.

The status of the people outside of the SAO world is pretty much meaningless. Yeah a line or two maybe explaining what happened might have worked but why they're still alive isn't particularly important right now.
You're not interested in the mental breakdowns of the nurse who just saw 20 patients all flatline at once? The stench of death lingering in the air? The grief of the families as they watch their children waste their lives away playing a videogame? The police investigating a crime with no leads? Whatever happened to that pizza?

found a list with all confirmed TV animes for 2013

Winter Season
New
Da Capo III
Chihayafuru S2
Boku wa Tomodachi ga Sukunai S2
Minamike S4
Sasami-san@Ganbaranai
GJ-bu
Sen Isamu
My Girlfriend and Childhood Friend Fight Too Much
Vividred Operation

from the fall season
(JoJo's Bizarre Adventure)
Zetsuen no Tempest
Robotics;Notes
Sakura-s&#333; no Pet na Kanojo
Psycho-Pass
Little Busters!
Bakuman
Shirokuma Cafe
Gintama
Magi

not confirmed
Oreimo S2
AKB0048 S2
Fate/kaleid liner Prisma Illya
Love Live!
(Blood Lad)

What a fantastic lineup for 2013.

Kazzy

Dem Hyouka impressions! It's one of the few shows where I'm interested to read everyone's opinion on, so I will be skimming through those shortly.

As for now, I need to go and watch it myself.

Branduil

Hyouka - Episode 22 (END)

Wow, what a visual masterpiece this show was. It's too bad it's over, and there probably won't be any continuation for quite a while. I ended up really enjoying it. Dat ending.
I almost believed. Lol. :(

I think we all did. The power of TrollAni.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom