• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Summer 2013 Anime |10th Dimensional OT| the first ignoble truth: all of life is anime

Status
Not open for further replies.

BGBW

Maturity, bitches.
Time to pull out Peaceiscloser's image for the show, yet?
Image reminds me of one of the earliest questions to be had of this show that was never properly answered. What really does stop someone pulling the helmet off someone else really quickly and chucking it across the room? Does it magically send electric bolts from the helmet across the room into the person brain.

CorvoSol

Image reminds me of one of the earliest questions to be had of this show that was never properly answered. What really does stop someone pulling the helmet off someone else really quickly and chucking it across the room? Does it magically send electric bolts from the helmet across the room into the person brain.

I thought that was precisely what it did?

BGBW

Maturity, bitches.
I thought that was precisely what it did?
I thought perhaps the light novel, home to all the answers the show refused to give, may have dedicated a chapter explaining how the helmet can grow legs and walk back to the user's cranium and latch itself back on.

zeroshiki

Not to you, you unfortunate souls. No, I just realized at one point that I was for the first time actually aware of feeling strong vibes of particular mixed emotions that could be called mono no aware and that this was a remark-able phenomenon. (As in, worth remarking, not otherwise exceptional.)

Did the song from Anohana start playing in your head? These are important details you're leaving out!

So for those who use Crunchyroll, is there any way to choose a dub other a subtitled show? I've gotten very used to the Bleach dub, and I pretty much subbed to Chrunchyroll soley for it, only to find out if seems to be subbed-only.

If I can't get a dubbed version, I'm just gonna cancel my account.

Note: I really don't want to hear about how I'm an anime noob for watching a dubbed version and "OMG, the Japanese voice acting is so much better!"

cajunator

Banned
Not to you, you unfortunate souls. No, I just realized at one point that I was for the first time actually aware of feeling strong vibes of particular mixed emotions that could be called mono no aware and that this was a remark-able phenomenon. (As in, worth remarking, not otherwise exceptional.)

How very ephemeral.

CorvoSol

I thought perhaps the light novel, home to all the answers the show refused to give, may have dedicated a chapter explaining how the helmet can grow legs and walk back to the user's cranium and latch itself back on.

I dunno, I thought the point was it just zapped you as someone tried to pull it off? Like with laser beams to the brains. Who knows? We're talking about a world where the best programmers in all the world's governments cannot hack into an MMO, but at the same time, some guy who happens to be an employee of the company that no longer has legal rights to its assets can take those assets, build a new game out of them, hack into the unhackable, siphon 301 minds into a secure server and keep them without getting caught.

Nevermind that to do this he needed to know when SAO was going down, which information he could only have gotten from the ever-praised mass murderer Kayaba, with whom he apparently was not in contact and was not in collusion.

The more you think about the show, the less you should think about the show.

Narag

Also, you guys are terrible. The Simpsons?

VNZTZ0W.jpg

I thought they were trolling.

Edit: Ah, specific gag.

BGBW

Maturity, bitches.
I dunno, I thought the point was it just zapped you as someone tried to pull it off? Like with laser beams to the brains. Who knows? We're talking about a world where the best programmers in all the world's governments cannot hack into an MMO, but at the same time, some guy who happens to be an employee of the company that no longer has legal rights to its assets can take those assets, build a new game out of them, hack into the unhackable, siphon 301 minds into a secure server and keep them without getting caught.

Nevermind that to do this he needed to know when SAO was going down, which information he could only have gotten from the ever-praised mass murderer Kayaba, with whom he apparently was not in contact and was not in collusion.

The more you think about the show, the less you should think about the show.
I thought it was microwaves which is why a quick enough pull should basically be enough. It's not like the user is actually wired into the device. I think the only credit we can give this story is that it makes a good point that no one ever looks at all the weird logos on the back of packaging like the CE mark (no idea what the Japanese equivalent is) because I'm pretty sure a death helmet wouldn't have passed any of the regulations.

Putting thought into this show is the only way to derive fun from it. It also means you are doing what the author failed to do.

iavi

So for those who use Crunchyroll, is there any way to choose a dub other a subtitled show? I've gotten very used to the Bleach dub, and I pretty much subbed to Chrunchyroll soley for it, only to find out if seems to be subbed-only.

Note: I really don't want to hear about how I'm an anime noob for watching a dubbed version and "OMG, the Japanese voice acting is so much better!"

I don't think Crunchyroll does anything dubbed. Bleach is on Hulu dubbed, though.

God, I hope so. She's so similar to her that it makes me really wonder what's going on in the Araragi household
especially with the comments Karen and Tsukihi made about specifically getting boyfriends that were like him, plus his whole siscon thing he's got going on anyway

Also, dat Araragi family ahoge.

I bet it's maintained by
generations of inbreeding

Isin's crazy, but not that crazy.

Pretty sure you can only get the Bleach dub on Adult Swim and on DVD, sorry.

The only dubbed series I ever remember being on Crunchyroll were Gundam and Zeta Gundam. Possibly Gundam 00? But they're all long gone now that Bandai Entertainment closed up shop in the US.

EDIT: Okay, so you can apparently get Bleach dubbed on Hulu. I stand corrected.

iavi

Monogatari 5
---

Was that supposed to be us seeing Araragi from Hanekawa's perspective? Cause that bronze god isn't the Araragi I know.

Anyway, now, I feel like I played my cards too early when signing on to Team Senjo way back when. Her character was destroyed in Nise, and Hanekawa's just got a solid +7 all across the board. I bought into the idea that these types would stay types, and not be deconstructed--making me feel all silly. Tis is life, folks. Don't pick teams till all hands have been played.

Looks like it isn't anymore:

Weird. I wonder why.

CorvoSol

I thought it was microwaves which is why a quick enough pull should basically be enough. It's not like the user is actually wired into the device. I think the only credit we can give this story is that it makes a good point that no one ever looks at all the weird logos on the back of packaging like the CE mark (no idea what the Japanese equivalent is) because I'm pretty sure a death helmet wouldn't have passed any of the regulations.

Putting thought into this show is the only way to derive fun from it. It also means you are doing what the author failed to do.

Right, but I'm pretty sure that microwaves, like the Earth's Magnetic poles and fields, are just sciency sounding things that an author pulls out of his ass for the sake of sciencing magic when he needs to magic up a plot-hole he is aware of but either doesn't care to spend the time writing out some long ass explanation or doesn't think his audience will care enough for it to matter.

In other words, those microwaves are being fired by a tiny wizard inside the helmet who will launch them into the skull of whoever isn't logged out.

Turn A Gundam 10

The A is still for Ambiguous, although this time it is ambiguous identity. Diana Soreil and Kihel Heim swap places for the day, and at first it is just hijinks. However, when the trip detours them to Kihel's home, where her mother, who lays ill and out of her mind, and her father, who lies beneath six feet of earth, await, the experience becomes a more humanizing one for Diana, who is guilt-ridden by the fact that she is waging war against people like Kihel and her family, and who, wracked with this guilt, throws herself upon Kihel's father's grave and weeps, in part for herself and in part for Kihel, who, playing the role of Diana, cannot express her feelings openly.

It was a good episode, in spite of the lack of actual giant robots fighting.

Monogatari 5
---

Was that supposed to be us seeing Araragi from Hanekawa's perspective? Cause that bronze god isn't the Araragi I know.

Anyway, now, I feel like I played my cards too early when signing on to Team Senjo way back when. Her character was destroyed in Nise, and Hanekawa's just got a solid +7 all across the board. I bought into the idea that these types would stay types, and not be deconstructed--making me feel all silly. Tis is life, folks. Don't pick teams till all hands have been played.

Team Kanbaru is clearly the correct choice.

That said, this arc's made me like Hanekawa a lot more, now that I've seen things from her perspective.

Turn A Gundam 10

The A is still for Ambiguous, although this time it is ambiguous identity. Diana Soreil and Kihel Heim swap places for the day, and at first it is just hijinks. However, when the trip detours them to Kihel's home, where her mother, who lays ill and out of her mind, and her father, who lies beneath six feet of earth, await, the experience becomes a more humanizing one for Diana, who is guilt-ridden by the fact that she is waging war against people like Kihel and her family, and who, wracked with this guilt, throws herself upon Kihel's father's grave and weeps, in part for herself and in part for Kihel, who, playing the role of Diana, cannot express her feelings openly.

It was a good episode, in spite of the lack of actual giant robots fighting.

I actually think Turn A is at its best when giant robots aren't fighting. >.>

Pooya

Attack on Titan - 17

oh that was pretty good.

so a yellow haired girl that knows Armin? identity of the female titan seems rather obvious.

CorvoSol

I actually think Turn A is at its best when giant robots aren't fighting. >.>

I'm not far enough in the series to say either way.

All the memorable stuff happens then!

Well if you guys say so.

Dai-Guard 3

A rocket punch straight out of Kamina's playbook. This episode is largely about how Aoyama doesn't want to do the whole SR thing cuz he isn't hot blooded enough. But no human being can truly resist their inner hot blood when they see giant robots pummeling the shit out of inexplicable giant monsters. Meanwhile basically nobody gets a bonus this year because the cost of repairing the Dai-Guard between fights is astronomical.

cnet128

Banned
Attack on Titan - 17
so a yellow haired girl that knows Armin? identity of the female titan seems rather obvious.

I have to wonder, did people also consider this obvious in the manga? Because I didn't realise the truth until the actual reveal, and thought it was a pretty awesomely executed twist. But that could just have been me being dense. It probably helped that I was marathoning the manga and didn't stop to speculate about anything.

Pooya

I have to wonder, did people also consider this obvious in the manga? Because I didn't realise the truth until the actual reveal, and thought it was a pretty awesomely executed twist. But that could just have been me being dense. It probably helped that I was marathoning the manga and didn't stop to speculate about anything.

dunno about the manga though without colors it's probably not as obvious :b

I'm six episodes behind in Attack on Titan (not counting the recap episode, which I'm certainly not).

I'm gonna try to knock out an episode or two before I go to bed.

At least it's not as bad as how far behind I am in Hunter x Hunter, but I also did that intentionally, so I could marathon ten or so episodes, and also because I got a little bit burnt out on it getting current with the manga.

CorvoSol

Considering I just thought it was
blonde titan Mikasa and completely forgot that blonde Mikasa is allegedly a different character
I wouldn't beat myself up too hard if I were you.

Kurita

Even without marathoning I never speculated and let the twists blow my mind everytime.

iavi

Isn't that happening at Otakon?

Rumored to be, ya. But, a man has needs. And I need some substance.

Speaking of Otakon, I chose the wrong expo to spend all my vacation on this year. That event is STACKED with must-see guests: Shinichiro Watanabe, Yoko Kanno, T.M Revolution, etc. I mad. I had a ton of fun at AX, but I mad.

Jintor

The two factor that could lead someone to hoping for yuri in it is that
  1. It's a school that prohibits boyfriends.
  2. The idea they will be practising love techniques on each other.

Of course that's all countered by the fact the whole premise of the show is to get boyfriends and the techniques are about gaining someone's attention rather than making love by the fire.

When has a little thing like facts ever stopped the gardeners

BGBW

Maturity, bitches.
I've noticed a lot of mentions of the latest Attack on Titan. Did it suddenly become good or something?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom