• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Summer 2013 Anime |10th Dimensional OT| the first ignoble truth: all of life is anime

Status
Not open for further replies.

Syrinx

Steins;Gate 5

They're really setting the pieces here, aren't they?

I wonder how all of the characters are ultimately going to connect to each other, because there really don't seem to be any "irrelevant" characters so far other than maybe the landlord. Even his part-timer got all freaked out and shit when she saw Kurisu, and said later that "she doesn't know the truth" and to "be careful of her". And it's weird how many people are familiar with and seem to know the capabilities of the IBN 5100.

So they basically confirmed that SERN has indeed been conducting time-travel experiments, ultimately ending in the fatalities of participants. But their jellyfied corpses were found in the past, and each file contained a newspaper article from that time. They've got it down. Now they just need to find a way to make it usable for people to go through. Okabe is going to try to beat them to it.

zeroshiki

Tonight, roughly 11-12 hours from now will be the 14th showing of Laputa: Castle in the Sky on Japanese TV. During the last showing 2 years ago, it set the record for the most number of tweets in a second (25,000) only to be beaten by Obama winning the election a year later :(

They're doing a Nico douga "livewatch" tonight as well (no videos, just the comments streaming :lol) and 2ch-ers are girding up for a fun time.

trejo

Sailor Moon SuperS Plus Ami's First Love!

Our studious heroine Ami-chan develops a crush on an anonymous intellectual rival against her own wishes and then studies a lot. Luckily the rest of the gang protect their lovestruck friend by concealing the horrifying revelation that the elusive Mercurius is, in fact, not a delicious bishie. Ami vows to keep doing her best. The end.

And this was supposed to make Ami's character more sympathetic to me... how? Regulus I demand a refund!

No but seriously, I suppose it was a neat little sidestory and it had some pretty nifty sakuga, plus it's more Sailor moon that I'd never watched before, so I can't really complain all that much. I had fun. Ami is still the worst, though.

Revised rankings are as follows:

Minako > Makoto > Rei >>> Usagi >>> Ami.

zeroshiki

Not old news at all; I saw the story earlier but neglected to post it. Also says the Captain Harlock CG film will be there out of competition.

Lucky folks.

Trying to remember if any previous Ghibli films were screened overseas this quickly before.

Ponyo screened in the Venice Film Festival too and it also had a July opening. I'm not sure what was the timeframe of the festival that year though.

Gintama Episode 13 – If You’re Going to Cosplay, Go All Out
tumblr_mqiqo5cZKk1qbxqfpo1_500.png
tumblr_mqiqo5cZKk1qbxqfpo2_500.png

Well I thought they only liked Bleach, but I guess they reference other jump stuff? Nice. I think this easily rises so far to the best episode yet. Gintama really can do some type of serious story and still get some bit of comedy mixed in there and even emotional sentimental values of things I like.
Why so dark with the capturing friends and really negative mean antagonist, even worst the sword to the chest and broken arm.

Katsura must stick around as the left arm for Gintoki, and he gave me a much better impression than the movie did.

Hitokage

Setec Astronomer
Mo~tto! Ojamjo Doremi 36

fhg4L3t.jpg

This was pretty adorable.

Mo~tto! Ojamjo Doremi 37

Things start getting out of hand...

xzxHeww.jpg

...then the unforgivable happens.

B98Nbo6.jpg

Momoko is also starting to turn into Minako with her word and quote misuse and messups. I wholeheartedly approve. Aiko was especially on point as well.

Mo~tto! Ojamjo Doremi 38

Haha, classic Magical Stage response.

8SqK977.jpg

Meanwhile, steak finds a way.

CorvoSol

Last post on the page; I'm a hypocrite.

Y'always seem so down on yourself, Articalys. Gotta puff yourself up full of pomp and circumstance! That's the way!

Speed Grapher 1

The premise to this show sounded pretty interesting. The execution left much to be desired. While I cannot judge for certain whether the show explores the power of a camera granting people's desires with maturity, I can say that this episode, which was to set that premise up, spent most of its time showcasing the kind of "maturity" one sees in a plot written by a horny 15 year old. It's "dark," "edgy," "sexy," and "mature."

Note that this isn't really meant to be a slam on the show, just that this show really didn't suit my tastes. Either way, for those wondering what its about, the premise is a sort of post-modern Tokyo full of rich folk and poor and a lot of vice and debauchery. Enter the protagonist, a photographer who is, erm, stimulated by his work. Eventually a chance encounter grants him a camera which, as laid out above, fulfills the desires of anyone he photographs. Or something.

Definitely wasn't the kind of show I was looking for, though.

Hattori

Banned
I tried listening to it last night, I'm not sure we sold it properly because I was the only one who saw it and I couldn't describe it that well :lol

I've absolutely no idea what the movie was about prior to listening to the podcast, but after listening the premise of the movie really got me interested in it.
I'm a sucker for biographical and historical films.

Branduil

Y'always seem so down on yourself, Articalys. Gotta puff yourself up full of pomp and circumstance! That's the way!

Speed Grapher 1

The premise to this show sounded pretty interesting. The execution left much to be desired. While I cannot judge for certain whether the show explores the power of a camera granting people's desires with maturity, I can say that this episode, which was to set that premise up, spent most of its time showcasing the kind of "maturity" one sees in a plot written by a horny 15 year old. It's "dark," "edgy," "sexy," and "mature."

Note that this isn't really meant to be a slam on the show, just that this show really didn't suit my tastes. Either way, for those wondering what its about, the premise is a sort of post-modern Tokyo full of rich folk and poor and a lot of vice and debauchery. Enter the protagonist, a photographer who is, erm, stimulated by his work. Eventually a chance encounter grants him a camera which, as laid out above, fulfills the desires of anyone he photographs. Or something.

Definitely wasn't the kind of show I was looking for, though.

You dropped Glass Fleet for this?

CorvoSol

You dropped Glass Fleet for this?

No I dropped Glass Fleet for Casshern Sins, which seems to be a wise choice so far. I might go back to finish Glass Fleet some time, but it was pretty boring.

This was supposed to follow up Maou-Sama, but it wasn't really what I was looking for, so I'm thinking Time of EVE will do instead.

dimb

Bjergsen is the greatest midlane in the world
This was supposed to follow up Maou-Sama, but it wasn't really what I was looking for, so I'm thinking Time of EVE will do instead.
One bad show following up another...I'm not quite sure what you were looking for.

Sailor Moon Rough 58

That is hilarious. Funniest thing of the episode.

Also shit gets real with nature yo. The aliens discovered warm feelings, but didn't realize what it was before shit got real with nature yo.

Narag

But she doesn't appear happy about it - writing on a Facebook page set up to look for her that she felt like she had been caught.
"I was happy where I was. I was safe. Had food, clothes, everything. Had a wonderful 14th birthday," she posted.
And when questioned about her family and friends being worried about her, she replied: "I planned to come back in like a year or two."
She later added: "My life was epic XD."

lmao

A true anime fan needs no 3D woman.

But she doesn't appear happy about it - writing on a Facebook page set up to look for her that she felt like she had been caught.
"I was happy where I was. I was safe. Had food, clothes, everything. Had a wonderful 14th birthday," she posted.
And when questioned about her family and friends being worried about her, she replied: "I planned to come back in like a year or two."
She later added: "My life was epic XD."
lmao

Oh my gooooooooooooood.

SDBurton

World's #1 Cosmonaut Enthusiast
So I stumbled across the TokuGaf OT and saw the trailer for Power Rangers Mega Force.. and now I kinda wanna watch it. Anyone a regular over there? If so any shows I should try? I already saw some of them listed but I wanted to get an honest impression from a fellow anime gaffer first.

cajunator

Banned
Not old news at all; I saw the story earlier but neglected to post it. Also says the Captain Harlock CG film will be there out of competition.

Lucky folks.

Trying to remember if any previous Ghibli films were screened overseas this quickly before.

I havent even seen From Up On Poppy hill yet!
(or Dog Children for that matter)

Steins;Gate 5

They're really setting the pieces here, aren't they?

I wonder how all of the characters are ultimately going to connect to each other, because there really don't seem to be any "irrelevant" characters so far other than maybe the landlord. Even his part-timer got all freaked out and shit when she saw Kurisu, and said later that "she doesn't know the truth" and to "be careful of her". And it's weird how many people are familiar with and seem to know the capabilities of the IBN 5100.

So they basically confirmed that SERN has indeed been conducting time-travel experiments, ultimately ending in the fatalities of participants. But their jellyfied corpses were found in the past, and each file contained a newspaper article from that time. They've got it down. Now they just need to find a way to make it usable for people to go through. Okabe is going to try to beat them to it.

Now its getting interesting :D

Sailor Moon SuperS Plus Ami's First Love!

Our studious heroine Ami-chan develops a crush on an anonymous intellectual rival against her own wishes and then studies a lot. Luckily the rest of the gang protect their lovestruck friend by concealing the horrifying revelation that the elusive Mercurius is, in fact, not a delicious bishie. Ami vows to keep doing her best. The end.

And this was supposed to make Ami's character more sympathetic to me... how? Regulus I demand a refund!

No but seriously, I suppose it was a neat little sidestory and it had some pretty nifty sakuga, plus it's more Sailor moon that I'd never watched before, so I can't really complain all that much. I had fun. Ami is still the worst, though.

Revised rankings are as follows:

Minako > Makoto > Rei >>> Usagi >>> Ami.

These ranking are acceptable I guess.
Minako is in the right place.

Tenumi

Banned
So I stumbled across the TokuGaf OT and saw the trailer for Power Rangers Mega Force.. and now I kinda wanna watch it. Anyone a regular over there? If so any shows I should try? I already saw some of them listed but I wanted to get an honest impression from a fellow anime gaffer first.

If you want something Japanese, I'd recommend Gokaiger. Its an anniversary season for Super Sentai, but you don't really need to know the rest of the seasons find it entertaining. There's also Kyoryuger, the currently running series, which is really good and funny. Other recommendations would be Jetman and Go-Busters (Since those are the only other ones I've watched).

American wise, can't go wrong with the first Power Rangers. Other good seasons would be In Space, Time Force, SPD, and RPM. RPM gets special mention because its actually rather mature and different from your average Power Rangers series.

Comedy options would be the two Akibaranger seasons. I can't really say much without giving stuff away.

As for Megaforce.... I really like it, even if that isn't the popular opinion. I'm hyped for Super Megaforce, which will be using elements from Gokaiger.

...That's as much as I can think of off the top of my head.

Kazzy

Ok, skimming your impressions there seems to be more to the show than just robots fighting aliens. Added to the watching list. I will try to get around it after I finish with Dennou Coil.

Yeah, it's certainly more than meets the eye (Transformers be damned), and it'd probably be best to watch it as unspoiled as you can.

Definitely recommended.

survivor

Banned
Why did I only learn about the movie, Hal just now?
A romance story with character designs by Io Sakisaka, this has good potentials. With this, Garden of Words and later Anohana, this will be a great year for movies.

Now that I can't watch Omega anymore, I need something gratifying to fill a 30-minute break slot for my Fridays.

SDBurton, cajun, I need your help!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom