• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Summer 2013 Anime |10th Dimensional OT| the first ignoble truth: all of life is anime

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jex

Anne of Green Gables 1-20

This is just too good. From the outside, it might be strange that such level of minute realism can be achieved in animation, and the idea itself can even sound pointless. Why use drawings to present down to earth events involving layered characters, when you can do it live-action?

I'd like to echo most of your thoughts about the series but in a manner that doesn't make me sound like a parrot, which may take some doing. Takahata is one of my all time favourite directors and the amount of work he has put into, and still puts into, the industry is remarkable. I'd say that he's survived so long as a director because of his 'sloth-like' approach to creating work but considering that Miyazaki is still around perhaps that's not the reason.

Regardless, with Anne of Green Gables I feel that we have a perfect meeting of Takahata's style of storytelling and a source material which revels in that which Takahata finds so important - the magic that can be found in the lives of everyday people. It also certainly helps that a number of talented people worked on the show and Miyazaki himself did the storyboards for the first 15 episodes (or so the Internet tells me).

It's pretty lucky that Takahata was working at a time when so many talented people were available to produce animation for TV because a lot of of what sells his works is people being animated in a natural and realistic, rather than an exaggerated and energetic manner. Really well animated natural facial expressions, for example, are certainly rarer than really well animated exaggerated facial expressions and Takahata is generally interested in grounding his works to reality.

One interesting thing that Anne of Green Gables highlighted to me was how well Takahata works as a long form storyteller and as a short form storyteller. While I enjoy both his movies and his TV shows I feel like the added length and depth that a TV series brings really gives him a great chance to build mood, place and tone. He's never in a rush to get you from place to place on some adventure like you might find in a Miyazaki work, instead he languishes around in small, personal locations.

I could go on, but this is already an unfocused ramble so curtailing it would be for the best.

Jex

Gatchman Crowds - 3

Uh, I barely noticed any problems about the production values. I suppose when I'm entertained they are harder to see. The series goes still in a good direction, going deep in the galax evolution, the changes has done in society, and what it still can be considered issues or obstacles for it. We also see the creator perspective, we learn some more info about his relation with aliens and the crowds appear at the end.
The guy (uhhh what was his name... the trap) is a interesting character, they haven't painted him as a bad guy but more as a neutral force with his own agenda and interests, though maybe under a bad influence.

I'm not really one to notice off-model character work, or revel in it's discovery, but that episode was pretty bad:

gatchacrap3_zpsb86005aa.jpg~original

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

[On Rebuild of Evangelion 2.0]

Shinji standing up for what he wanted was pretty cool.
You've just described someone who isn't Shinji!

cajunator

Banned
I'm not really one to notice off-model character work, or revel in it's discovery, but that episode was pretty bad:

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I love the little random highlight dots in the hair.

Lurky

Love Lab: Episode 4

My heart truly is about g-strings~
Haha what an awesome episode. I hope these girls continue to explore love together forever!

CorvoSol

That actually makes sense and you will see why.

Right now I'm just kinda stuck trying to figure out why Lord Guin can't be consistent about whether he wants to call Loran a girl or not.

I 'think' that the implication is that, of course, they could easily lay waste to the Earth but they don't want to take that approach for political reasons.

Which is pretty impressive, but what confuses me is if they want to live on an entirely different continent, why are they bargaining with the people here for it? Shouldn't they bargain with the people there?

Well, I mean, there was this brief moment at the end of 2.0 where Shinji's character could've gone in a new and interesting direction. Then we got 3.0 and well, we all know what happened to everybody's character there.

Lafiel

と呼ぶがよい
Anne of Green Gables 1-20

This is just too good. From the outside, it might be strange that such level of minute realism can be achieved in animation, and the idea itself can even sound pointless. Why use drawings to present down to earth events involving layered characters, when you can do it live-action?
You know despite the fact it can be argued that EVERYTHING takahata does could've been done in a live-action medium. I believe he's one of the best examples of "justified animation" due to the extra layer of expression that he sends off in his work, most notably how he portrays the transition between reality and imagination in Anne of Green Gables and Only Yesterday. Those kind of transitions simply won't work as well in a live-action format.

Hitokage

Setec Astronomer
Ojamajo Doremi Naisho 6
g8Z7k8w.jpg

Nostalgia and mono no aware need not be enemies.

Ojamajo Doremi Naisho 7
tVxUdXJ.jpg

Taiyaki is definitely serious business.

Ojamajo Doremi Naisho 8
ofzBOR7.jpg

That icy stare.

Ojamajo Doremi Naisho 9
FNa2FbC.jpg

This episode was amazing.

Ojamajo Doremi Naisho 10
SDfPTNw.jpg

At this point I realize that this was actually made after the TV show, despite covering the span of time during the third season. Oh well.

Ojamajo Doremi Naisho 11
24Agp28.jpg

This episode blended romanticism with just the right amount of cynicism.

Ojamajo Doremi Naisho 12
SxFhb0C.jpg

Haha, kinda... sorta...

Ojamajo Doremi Naisho 13
Hd7ExeM.jpg

It's a cat.

Excellent OVA. I kind of had the feeling that Doremi as a show could sit around more and have more character antics/drama with the cast it has, and this delivered on it.

Shergal

I could go on, but this is already an unfocused ramble so curtailing it would be for the best.
It's always good when talented people get some love!
If I'm remembering correctly, Miyazaki did layouts and "scene design" (a credit specific for him, because he contributed a lot of ideas) for every episode of both Heidi and Marco, and left at 15 in Anne to go direct Cagliostro. I'm not well-read nor observant enough to pinpoint what contributions he might have made, but I think he probably played a huge part in these shows (only early for Anne, though).

Completely agree with your comment about animators, and at risk of being repetitive, I'll again say that Kondo's style shines through every movement. I think he was very in touch with Takahata and the style of film he likes to make. I hope he has found another suitable partner in Kenichi Konishi, because my hype for Kaguya-hime is already too high to be healthy.

You know despite the fact it can be argued that EVERYTHING takahata does could've been done in a live-action medium. I believe he's one of the best examples of "justified animation" due to the extra layer of expression that he sends off in his work, most notably how he portrays the transition between reality and imagination in Anne of Green Gables and Only Yesterday. Those kind of transitions simply won't work as well in a live-action format.
Agreed, the man knows how to exploit animation.
In a more general sense, I never understood the notion some people have expressed of animation having to be "justified" by possessing some sort of element that shouldn't be able to be replicated in live-action, or something. Generally it boils down to flashy scenes with fantastical creatures or flat-out abstract works, and I think that's a pretty limited mindset. I don't think artforms should be "justified" to separate themselves from each other, their intrinsic differences are more than enough in terms of different creative processes, results and a different experience for the viewer. Certainly some types of works might be easier to produce in one medium or other, but that shouldn't become a discouragement or a rule to follow blindly, and Takahata taking supposedly "live-action suited" material and making such animated masterpieces out of it has more than proved that.

Syrinx

Cardcaptor Sakura 64

Why is Sakura still scared of scary stories? She's faced waaaaaay worse. A snow fairy? Really? You're scared of a snow fairy? You and your cards could wallop the shit out of a snow fairy while you were eating a sandwich, for fuck's sake. No reason to be scared of some punk-ass snow fairy.

cajunator

Banned
Cardcaptor Sakura 64

Why is Sakura still scared of scary stories? She's faced waaaaaay worse. A snow fairy? Really? You're scared of a snow fairy? You and your cards could wallop the shit out of a snow fairy while you were eating a sandwich, for fuck's sake. No reason to be scared of some punk-ass snow fairy.

like why is she scared of ghosts?

Theonik

Right now I'm just kinda stuck trying to figure out why Lord Guin can't be consistent about whether he wants to call Loran a girl or not.

Which is pretty impressive, but what confuses me is if they want to live on an entirely different continent, why are they bargaining with the people here for it? Shouldn't they bargain with the people there?
Rumour is that Tomino initially wanted Loran to be a girl but Sunrise executives mendled fearing they'd lose their audience if they had a woman MC. So Tomino took his vengeance by abusing Loran every chance he got.

The place they wanted to live in is actually an uninhabited region. They still had to negotiate with the people of the planet as they'd need to be in good terms with them and by the time they landed they thought there would be no resistance or need for war courtesy of Guin's negotiation. As the story progresses you will also get more reasons for all this.

Air is a good insulator.
Though I have no idea how that would work on a skirt.

cnet128

Banned
So, starting today I'm on a family trip to grandparents' house for a week (returning next Monday). This means NO INTERNETS FOR A WEEK AAAAAAAHHHHHHH.

Thankfully I still have 3G on mah iPad, so I can still keep up with this thread, but I can't really obtain new animes in this situation. So I guess I'm going to have like 20 episodes to catch up on when I get back >.> That will be an interesting challenge...

Good thing I still have my Precure backlog to watch at my leisure (and a couple of episodes from Saturday I haven't got around to watching yet). Heck, who knows? I might even use this opportunity to watch some K-ON!! or Hidamari.

uo7wdov.png

how big is acceptable to you?

All are acceptable on some level. 5 is probably best. 1 makes me think of Nakamura, so I guess Aku no Hana must have taken over real-life proportions in my head o_O

cajunator

Banned
So, starting today I'm on a family trip to grandparents' house for a week (returning next Monday). This means NO INTERNETS FOR A WEEK AAAAAAAHHHHHHH.

Thankfully I still have 3G on mah iPad, so I can still keep up with this thread, but I can't really obtain new animes in this situation. So I guess I'm going to have like 20 episodes to catch up on when I get back >.> That will be an interesting challenge...

Good thing I still have my Precure backlog to watch at my leisure (and a couple of episodes from Saturday I haven't got around to watching yet). Heck, who knows? I might even use this opportunity to watch some K-ON!! or Hidamari.

All are acceptable on some level. 5 is probably best. 1 makes me think of Nakamura, so I guess Aku no Hana must have taken over real-life proportions in my head o_O

You dont have crunchyroll app?

Metrotab

Banned
Full Metal Panic!: Fumoffu - 2

That third PE routine reminds me of the dance lessons we had for the senior festival.

One thing this show is so good at is the comedic timing of both Sousuke's dry lines and the physical gags that surround them. It doesn't feel forced at all.

Chidori's voice actress is what makes the show though. Lovable enough for romance scenes, but also aggressive enough to play the part. Good stuff.

AND WHERES BARBAROSSA MY WHITEHAIRED QUEEN

cnet128

Banned
You dont have crunchyroll app?

Never used Crunchyroll. No idea if it even has any good content here in the UK (much less in Germany where I usually reside). Also I prefer to watch my animes without subs. Not sure if Crunchyroll would accommodate that.

...At any rate, streaming large videos over 3G would just make me uncomfortable in general even if it was possible ~.~ I feel pressure to keep my data usage relatively looooow on mobile internet. And I don't like sacrificing any video quality either. Best to wait until I'm back in a comfortable high-speed Wi-Fi environment.

cajunator

Banned
Never used Crunchyroll. No idea if it even has any good content here in the UK (much less in Germany where I usually reside). Also I prefer to watch my animes without subs. Not sure if Crunchyroll would accommodate that.

...At any rate, streaming large videos over 3G would just make me uncomfortable in general even if it was possible ~.~ I feel pressure to keep my data usage relatively looooow on mobile internet. And I don't like sacrificing any video quality either. Best to wait until I'm back in a comfortable high-speed Wi-Fi environment.

Understandable. Quality anime viewing is serious shit.

Caesnd

Macross Zero - 01
The CG are fucking damn ugly ugh.. its make me wish they not showing any mech because the show are actually looks great beside that. Even today the CG not very good, imagine CG from 2002.. oh god.

Btw its pretty charming first episode.

You'll be eating those words.

Jarmel

Banned
Full Metal Panic!: Fumoffu - 2

That third PE routine reminds me of the dance lessons we had for the senior festival.

One thing this show is so good at is the comedic timing of both Sousuke's dry lines and the physical gags that surround them. It doesn't feel forced at all.

Chidori's voice actress is what makes the show though. Lovable enough for romance scenes, but also aggressive enough to play the part. Good stuff.

AND WHERES BARBAROSSA MY WHITEHAIRED QUEEN

You are watching the dub right?

BluWacky

Cowboy Bebop 2

It's not just the music that's great in Bebop, it's also how it's deployed. The two big chase sequences in this episode aren't just excitingly animated (it's cheesy, but I love how in the first chase sequence everyone is "filmed" in the same way...) but the Mai Yamane track that accompanies the first one in particular really accentuates the "coolness" of the show.

A light-hearted "caper" episode really, given its focus on Ein, who is immediately endearing - and not just because he's a cute breed of dog, but a pretty badass one at that.

BD videophiles, there was a brief glitch in this episode when I watched it in the second chase scene with some big macroblocks (if that's the right term) showing up for half a second or so, but this may be my PS3 rather than anything wrong with the Blurays themselves.

cnet128

Banned
Haven't watched anime in quite some time but I'm curious, did Gatchaman redeem itself or get any better?

Redeem? Better? Your phrasing seems to imply that it didn't start out well. IMO Crowds has been good stuff right from the first episode. It's certainly been getting into its stride as the series progresses, though.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom