• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Summer 2013 Anime |OT3| only manly sports allowed

Status
Not open for further replies.

Soma

Man KyoAni really can't draw guys to save their lives can they?
njmMzlM.png
Say that to this sexy motherfucker's face and watch him do not a whole lot about it.

Aria the Natural 2

This episode had our main cast do some exploring around town for the most :firehawk of reasons and it was absolutely wonderful. It was also pretty damn hilarious too, since the wonderful deformed faces go hand in hand with the cast's dialogue with each other. Strange, considering I don't ever remember laughing as much at the deformed faces as I do now. Also I think I'm officially in love with Ishizuka Unsho's voice, it's so god damn suave and manly.

CorvoSol

Project X Zone 1-41 (END)

So I spent a better part of 50 hours doing the same thing over and over again, which was doing super neato combos and whatnot. It eventually drove me crazy because the battles in like 3/4 of the game are TOO FUCKING LONG and I never want to play them ever again. There were lots of cute girls and gratuitous butts and boobs so it wasn't a complete waste.

SUPER OFFICIAL BEST GIRL LIST:

Xiaomu = Erica > Saya > Kaguya > Neneko > KOS-MOS = T-elos > Estelle > Tron Bonne > Devilotte > everyone else from games I haven't played or don't really care about

I got this game for my birthday and am enjoying it so far. It's like Super Robot Wars except not quite. That said, how you gonna leave MORRIGAN off your list, man? I mean MORRIGAN. Her entire character is like one long excuse to draw the cheese-cakiest possible woman in the most lewd possible positions with the most "don't let mom look at my screen right now" dialogue.

Right now Morrigan is top of the list for me. Sorta wish X and Zero would show up already. I don't give a damn about playing using some bizarre, obscure Sega or Namco characters, but give me my goddamn Mega Men!

cajunator

Banned
I got this game for my birthday and am enjoying it so far. It's like Super Robot Wars except not quite. That said, how you gonna leave MORRIGAN off your list, man? I mean MORRIGAN. Her entire character is like one long excuse to draw the cheese-cakiest possible woman in the most lewd possible positions with the most "don't let mom look at my screen right now" dialogue.

Right now Morrigan is top of the list for me. Sorta wish X and Zero would show up already. I don't give a damn about playing using some bizarre, obscure Sega or Namco characters, but give me my goddamn Mega Men!

but...Erica, Corvy-kun. ERICA. SQUEE.

I always hated using her and Chun-li because it was always a bitch getting the right support unit to go with them. She's great in the sexual sense but they could have given her a butt shot or two in that tight succubus nonsense she always wears.

Erica/Gemini + Neneko is THE ONLY WAY TO PLAY.

Jex

The fanservice really is the one thing that stands at as unnecessary. But, that's how you make anime for a 2013 audience I suppose.
(The less said about the OP they use for the TV broadcast, the better.)

But yeah, it's really perfect because it has classic science fiction stories like the one you mentioned that are somewhat episodic, but has a throughline that is actually interesting and serialized without relying on TWEEEEEESTS. The fact that the one "big" twist is something that all the old fans would have known anyway - and ends up being fairly downplayed - is great. The fact that the humans aren't all perfect is great too... in fact, Shawn Ryan tried to do that exact same premise in a TV show last year and failed miserably at it, and he's one of the "auteurs" of television!

In an age where reboot typically means shit (thanks JJ Abrams), Yamato really becomes something special with this update.
I really need to put some time aside to write up a post promoting Yamato 2199 as it really feels like one of the most underrated and under-watched shows of recent times purely as a result of not running on TV. I guess it doesn't help that nearly all the Yamato reboots/sequels/remakes in in the last few decades have been rubbish.

Hell, nearly all the combat is in CG and I actually think it looks kind of okay, and I nearly never say that! Truly the show can do no wrong.

In terms of general fandom it seems about as well known as a Yuasa production. I feel like there's "zero hype" for the series as a whole which I know is a somewhat subjective measure of a shows popularity.

Heck, if there wasn't any fanservice shit in it or ridiculous costumes (I suppose those are often one and the same) it would probably be even more buried than it is now.

cajunator

Banned
Think Ill watch Interstella 5555 tomorrow morning since I havent seen it in ages. Never had it on DVD before either so happyjoycakes.

firehawk12

Subete no aware
I really need to put some time aside to write up a post promoting Yamato 2199 as it really feels like one of the most underrated and under-watched shows of recent times purely as a result of not running on TV. I guess it doesn't help that nearly all the Yamato reboots/sequels/remakes in in the last few decades have been rubbish.
Yeah, by having a weird release, they cater perfectly to the hardcore Japanese fan but essentially killed American hype. If it's not on Crunchyroll or whatever, it becomes a niche of a niche here.

Aria the Natural 2

This episode had our main cast do some exploring around town for the most :firehawk of reasons and it was absolutely wonderful. It was also pretty damn hilarious too, since the wonderful deformed faces go hand in hand with the cast's dialogue with each other. Strange, considering I don't ever remember laughing as much at the deformed faces as I do now. Also I think I'm officially in love with Ishizuka Unsho's voice, it's so god damn suave and manly.
Hooheee~~~~~

It's funny though, this is based on the real cafe in Venice where they move the tables around based on the time of day... which sort of let me get over the idea of "cultural appropriation" and just enjoy when someone plucks something from a particular culture and use it for their own sakes.

Of course, it's much easier to fetishize Italy/Venice than it is to, say, fetishize Native Americans in Avatar.

cajunator

Banned
Yeah, by having a weird release, they cater perfectly to the hardcore Japanese fan but essentially killed American hype. If it's not on Crunchyroll or whatever, it becomes a niche of a niche here.

Hooheee~~~~~

It's funny though, this is based on the real cafe in Venice where they move the tables around based on the time of day... which sort of let me get over the idea of "cultural appropriation" and just enjoy when someone plucks something from a particular culture and use it for their own sakes.

Of course, it's much easier to fetishize Italy/Venice than it is to, say, fetishize Native Americans in Avatar.

Dont they have to move tables or else they will float away? Cause Venice floods at some point every day.

Hooheee~~~~~

That's one thing I love about Sora no Woto, although I think they just recreated the town in Spain (?) and didn't do much with taking anything specific from it to put in the show.

Jex

Right, for good or ill Crunchyroll has become the de facto way to view anime (I guess Netflix/other streaming services count too but I'm specifically referring to new anime) so if it's not there it's not anywhere unless it's really huge.

Before the rise of cheap, legal streaming of new properties anime fans certainly had to do a lot more research to find out what's new/hot and as a result of this they probably came across non-mainstream works along with all the major stuff. Once you remove the necessity for such researching and hunting fans no longer need to develop those skill and as a result there less likely to stumble across the non-major releases.

Theonik

Cardcaptore Sakura 43
Another episode another cute card!
Meilin nooooooo.
Quite a touching little episode this was.

cnet128

Banned
Suisei no Gargantia 14 (OVA)

Well, it's called Episode 14 but clearly not actually set after the series, since
Chambro is still alive T_T

Anyway, this was a sweet and fun little story. I was surprised by how natural it felt to be back watching this series - it wasn't even nostalgic or anything, more like it had never gone away. (If only that were actually the case!) I guess it was still less than a season ago that it ended, but still. I think the most jarring thing about it was that there was no episode preview after the credits(!)

Oh, and the girl from Ridget's flashback had Hanekawa's voice. That was a little distracting.

CorvoSol

but...Erica, Corvy-kun. ERICA. SQUEE.

I'm sorta ambivalent toward Erica so far. Maybe 'cuz I don't know who she is other than some girl with a shotgun.

I always hated using her and Chun-li because it was always a bitch getting the right support unit to go with them. She's great in the sexual sense but they could have given her a butt shot or two in that tight succubus nonsense she always wears.

Erica/Gemini + Neneko is THE ONLY WAY TO PLAY.

They do give Morrigan a butt shot, though, during her super attack or whatever that is. Better than Tron Bonne, though, who is like nothing but weird butt shots.

I dunno, Chun Li and Morrigan is probably my favorite pair of girls thus far. Just sort of funny seeing the straight-laced Chun Li and the goofy succubus Morrigan forced together.

Syrinx

Love Lab 4

I don't really know or care where they're going with this "Riko is lying about having dated many boys" thing. Not like it matters; she's still the most knowledgeable one, if only by default. Also she looked better before she put all that crap on her.

Lol that song Maki's dad was singing. That was interesting. "My brain is a g-string" "My kidneys are lace". Must make for an interesting home life.

I dunno, Chun Li and Morrigan is probably my favorite pair of girls thus far. Just sort of funny seeing the straight-laced Chun Li and the goofy succubus Morrigan forced together.

I'm not faulting them for that, I think a lot of pairs in this game are hilarious, my favorite being Frank West being paired with Zomboobs.

firehawk12

Subete no aware
Dont they have to move tables or else they will float away? Cause Venice floods at some point every day.
Naw, in this case, it's specifically to chase the shade.

That's one thing I love about Sora no Woto, although I think they just recreated the town in Spain (?) and didn't do much with taking anything specific from it to put in the show.
Yeah, it's set in a small village in Spain and the fortress that they are in is actually a hotel in real life. lol
I keep forgetting the person here who knows all about it - I want to say it was Erigu or /XX/, who posted a newspaper article from Spain about Sora no Woto - I can't remember who it was though, so apologies in advance. :(

And of course, the fantasy version of England in Kiniro Mosaic is based on a real bed and breakfast in some sleepy English town. I'm all for it, because... well, why not? lol

There were crude pantyshots in the original TV series.
Yeah, but this is all skin tight uniforms featuring "dat ass" and so forth. Well, that and one of the characters likes to cosplay.

Right, for good or ill Crunchyroll has become the de facto way to view anime (I guess Netflix/other streaming services count too but I'm specifically referring to new anime) so if it's not there it's not anywhere unless it's really huge.

Before the rise of cheap, legal streaming of new properties anime fans certainly had to do a lot more research to find out what's new/hot and as a result of this they probably came across non-mainstream works along with all the major stuff. Once you remove the necessity for such researching and hunting fans no longer need to develop those skill and as a result there less likely to stumble across the non-major releases.
Yep. And if no one decides to... cover a show, it typically disappears completely. Case in point, the Glass Mask "reboot/remake" that happened last season.

Kuroko no Basket: Oshaberi Shiyokka (Fandisk)

Team Kurobas never told me this was engtranslated, or either I missed it back in 2012, regardless, was pretty funny and crazy, still gets me every time when no one notices Kuroko.

Speaking of Kuroko, I really want that figure.

BGBW

Maturity, bitches.
You birthed best sport and then rejected it? That's like growing a plant that grows beer and sticking it in the bathroom.
I'm honestly failing to see the downside of having a beer growing plant in the bathroom. Good way to start the day.

you're waiting for megaman ?

Do you think tehy'll give you such powerfull character right off away .. no you'll have to crave for them.. you'll have to desire them..
And then you'll get them ...

It is coming over. They're just taking their damn time for whatever reason. Maybe they have to digitally remove every mention of Yamato in the show and replace it with Star Blazers.

Gintama Episode 21 – If You Go to Sleep With the Fan On, You’ll Get a Stomachache, So Be Careful

The Kappas one was awful and terrible, why even write that. The second one with the Fan was pretty hilarious and entertaining, kind of reminded me of no AC summer this year. Regardless, I think Gintama would be a stronger series if it had been set in school and at least had some checkpoints for story and progress. Often it just captures the things wrong with skit based stories in that, in the first minute or two one could tell if it will be bad or not, which unfortunately, most of these 21 episodes have followed the same line of thinking.

Star Blazers 2199 Egnlish Trailer Digest (sub)

If they are seriously calling Yamato...Argo then....I think Ill definitely look into fervently praying that a JPN BD box is released by IG and such.

cnet128

Banned
Yes! Precure 5 GoGo! 1

Paku Romi? What are you doing here. You just played the villain in the movie, remember?! Ah well. Syrup seems like a pretty cool guy. He leaps around on top of buildings and turns into penguin aeroplanes and doesn't afraid of anything. What a charmer.

...Takehito Koyasu?! What the heck are you doing here?! "Being incredibly fabulous like I do in all the things", you say? Psch, you can't fool me. I remember you were Nagisa's dad in the first Precure. He was a pretty all right guy, but I wouldn't call him "incredibly fabulous". That said, this time you're a slick-looking villain with a cool scarf who turns half-scorpion. Okay, I guess you've just about earned your fabulous quotient for this outing. I will commemorate this by never learning your character's name and calling him by yours instead.

Oh hey, Coco and Nuts. You just descended from the sky on a beam of light from a giant magical butterfly, dressed in royal garb. Stop that, you're out-fabulousing the King of Fabulous.

And you, Toei! I have a bone to pick with you. Where did Cure Dream's midriff go? Is this a thing now? Every time you have a second series with the same characters you make the outfits more prudish? Don't think I didn't notice you do exactly the same thing to Nagisa! She had her midriff out in the first series and you sneakily covered it up in Max Heart! For shame, Toei, for shame!

While I'm nitpicking the costume changes, you also gave Cure Lemonade spats. She was the only Cure who wasn't wearing spats last series. WHY YOU DO THIS.

New stock footage thoughts: now we have generic mobile phones for transforming, which are less classy than classy wristbands. Also means the Cures don't get to do the cool draw-a-circle-in-the-air thing when they shout "METAMORPHOSE" any more either. In fact, the METAMORPHOSE cry itself looks awkwardly static in these new transformation sequences. The remainder of the sequences is super-dynamic to make up for it, though. And much more unique for each character than the rather uniform sequences from last series. You win some, you lose some, I guess.

As for the new themes...the OP doesn't sound catchy at all, but that was my reaction to the previous series' OP as well, and it really grew on me after a while, so I'm expecting (hoping?) the same thing will happen here. The ED is nice and lively with lots of cute animation, so I daresay it'll grow on me too. It also has lots of Kurumi. Which would be kind of spoilery if I wasn't already plenty aware of her existence. But credit where it's due: neither the OP or the ED or even the eyecatches give away her *ahem* identity, so I guess I should consider that some impressive restraint by Toei's standards!

I did catch a glimpse of Bunbee in the OP though. Hah! I knew he wouldn't go down that easily!

To be fair, Cure Dream's outfit is better though.

Upotte!! 7

It's winter fun land with the guns, and the teacher brought up her thong (it's not a thong for a humanized gun, silly!)

Actually I don't remember his name either.

Crocodile

God Uniform: Senketsu
-When Ryuuko's body and mind is pushed to its limits and her blood burns hotter than fire itself, the true power of the living uniform is awakened. Ryuuko and Senketsu's bodies become one and inmesurable power starts flowing through their veins. With the God Cloth Senketsu, Ryuuko is able to change reality and alter the destiny of the world.

-Even if the appearance of the God Cloth Senketsu is embarassing, its power is unmatched. Ryuuko can't control the power by herself so Senketsu acts as her precision support.

God Uniforms:
God-like powers (Satsuki, she lives in the highest tower of the city)
Three Star Uniforms: Reality bending powers (The Four Devas; they live in the tower of the student council, they have absolute freedom to do whatever they want as long as they don't go against Satsuki's ideals)
Two Star Uniforms: Super powers (they work directly under the three star uniforms in accordance to their skills and personalities, they live in the dormitories)
One Star Uniform: Augmented abilities (the "stormtroopers", they're student council members, they live in the training headquarters)
No Star Uniforms: No powers (Mako, the other loser kids without "talents" according to Satsuki, they live in the shitty slums and are basically the "prey" for the stronger students)

Ryuuko only needs the God Uniform Super form to fight Satsuki and the Four Kings.

The ED theme is called "Sorry, I'm not going to be a Good Girl".

Not sure of the source though, I'm guessing the latest Newtype? If true:

tHw0b.gif

Syrinx

Man, this is like, the first time I've been hyped for an upcoming show instead of looking in my backlog. Can't fucking wait.

e_i

Stella Women’s Academy, High School Division Class C3 episode 10

Wow...talk about a downward spiral for the MC and the show in general. Even Dog & Scissors is better than this.

Quasar

I'd kind of like to compare crunchyroll streams to torrents to see if thats in any way true. I expect torrents to be higher than crunchyroll streams.

cnet128

Banned
Stella Women’s Academy, High School Division Class C3 episode 10

Wow...talk about a downward spiral for the MC and the show in general. Even Dog & Scissors is better than this.

A downward spiral for Yura? You could certainly call it that.

For the show, though? Hells naw. This show has only been getting better and better with time (and I thought it started out pretty nice!)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom