• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Summer 2013 Anime |OT3| only manly sports allowed

Status
Not open for further replies.
Actually it is cannon, regarding the freaking rules of the fate Multiverse..it's just in an alternate dimension where things didn't happen in the "common" timeline.
You can't make non-canon stuff when you have broken the rules of space time from the start.

And yes all of the Fate works are linked to each other in some way ( crazy i know ) ... Even the FATE/EXTRA games are linked to the original fate/stay night yet they are in a totally different setting.

Figured it was something like this.

faridmon

Actually it is cannon, regarding the freaking rules of the fate Multiverse..it's just in an alternate dimension where things didn't happen in the "common" timeline.
You can't make non-canon stuff when you have broken the rules of space time from the start.

And yes all of the Fate works are linked to each other in some way ( crazy i know ) ... Even the FATE/EXTRA games are linked to the original fate/stay night yet they are in a totally different setting.

Figures. Thanks!

Hurray! More reason for me to buy the game!

Yes! Pretty Cure 5: 10

Merchandising, Merchandising, Merchandising! All about the sales and the advertising so that their hideout/shop gets customers.

It's probably one of the most meta things to come out of PRecure.

Yes , it's the same city and characters in an alternate universe..

To get the setting : the events of fate/zero never happenned ( thus the events of fate stay night never happenned ) , Illya is now a magical girl and the heroine.

It's heavily based on comedy with serious moments here and there.

I actually like it better than Fate/Stay Night (anime-wise). But that isn't really saying much.

Shergal

That outfit...

Looks good, great at times, kinda eh at others (Satsuki's presentation was oversaturated). The show will obviously have much better looking and animated moments so it's not really a problem.

Not enough monocle for me to be fully certain it is fancy.
I was advised not to upon request.
Nice try!

But I can tell by the position of her legs vs how far back her skirt goes that she has a big butt.

You can't fault a girl for having a big butt.

Well, I suppose you could, but it wouldn't be very nice.
Great work!

Seen this in various stages of progress and I love it. Best girl doing monocle things.

This is pretty neat.

Thanks!

Branduil

I'd feel a lot better about the PV if not for that awful outfit. Is she seriously going to wear that for all of the fight scenes?

All right, i've watched Kuroko's Basketball and Little Busters in anticipation of the new seasons, should i try Valvrave next?

I endorse Valvrave. Good, crazy, hilarious fun.

I'd feel a lot better about the PV if not for that awful outfit. Is she seriously going to wear that for all of the fight scenes?

Perhaps she'll get a uniform power-up later on.
With even more skin showing.

illya s2 title reminds me... what ever happened to mai otome? They churned out a few ova series... then they just stopped?

I recall the guy went off to do some other pseudo magic/mecha girl show.

Not feeling Kill la Kill after that trailer, I'm sure it'll still be a good show but my hype has been reduced. I'll still watch it but the trailer seemed all over the place.

Not really feeling most of the cast. One did seem cool in action (though he was just leaning back on the chair) but other wise everything else feels been there done that. Thought it would be a fresh entry in anime. Good music.

All right, i've watched Kuroko's Basketball and Little Busters in anticipation of the new seasons, should i try Valvrave next?

Try Valvrave and Phi Brain (franchise)! Valvrave is most worthwhile and good choices on KuroBas.

Kill La Kill 3min PV http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f5LVNrZqvuw !!!!1
region locked fuuuuu

edit: downloading!

MC looks like a badass hell yeah this is looking awesome......till I saw that transformation. That costume is so ridiculous and out of place, even more stupider looking than Yoko's outfit. Truly embarrassing costume design for the people watching and character. Why Gainax, WHY?

I was actually getting hyped but now all I expect is ass and tits angles during fight scenes.

Midonin

Fate/kaleid liner Prisma☆Illya
Easy to Understand Ancient Magic

I've never actually seen anything in the Fate series. Never played the VNs, watched any of the anime, or things like that. My exposure has been entirely through memes. I know what an Unlimited Blade Works is, I just don't know the context of it. What I do know and love is magical girls. So I went into Illya blind, knowing there might be a few things I'd not get, and, with it being the first summer show to wrap, also the first to review.

Not the first time I've gone into an anime backwards. I saw Mai-Otome before Mai-HiME, and care more about what goes on with Kujibiki Unbalance than Genshiken. Not to mention knowing the world of Xenoglossia before seeing any of the mainline iM@S series. The relationship between Illya and Stay/Night is tighter than any of those, so it may give me a clearer picture of what to expect.

I caught a fair bit of the references, such as Rin's scene in the first episode propositioning Illya being a mirror of Saber's scene, but the specific names of spells might be lost on me. I can't judge it as an entry in the Fate franchise, because I have no point of reference to do that. I can, however, judge it as a magical girl series. And as one of those, it succeeded wonderfully.

The series, I thought, achieved a nice balance between light jabs at magical girl series (like Illya and Miyu using them as a reference point for what a magical girl should be), while at the same time embracing its nature as a magical girl series to the fullest. The non-magical girl magic seen, mostly coming from Rin and Luvia, looks like it involves a lot of chants and magical artifacts. Both feel theatrical, epic. Fitting for a franchise involving legends.

The fight scenes were really good. The Parallel Include at the end with the theme song playing gave me chills, and Illyarcher's duel against Saber had a lot of dynamic movement and striking visuals. For a show with a lot of nighttime scenes, it nonetheless kept a light color palette and atmosphere the whole time. Many magical girl fights take place in broad daylight or in magical barriers, so it's a little different.

When it comes to the characters, I, again, don't know how close they are to their Stay/Night versions, but I'll assume "close enough". Illya's classmates (Tatsuko especially) never felt like they were unimportant, and her family/servants the same. Plus, the character dynamics allowed for some great comedy. Miyu's exaggerated skills in the classroom come to mind, as does the entire breasts conversation. Not to mention Illya having a Yoshika Miyafuji-like perverted side.

And oh my goodness, the yuri. Iliya/Miyu have one of the strongest bonds of the many that I've seen this season. It's a common magical girl thing, but making declarations like Miyu did after "friendship" takes it to a higher plane. A little bit of yuri can get me to like any series, and if we're judging Illya on yuri level, it's S-class. (Pun intended?)

Then there's the wands. Magical Ruby strikes me as "Raising Heart if Raising Heart was charmingly dickish". That's the first time I've seen a magical girl get cajoled into the role by her own weapon. Though there's definitely a hint of Nanoha/Cardcaptor to the whole thing, a lot of this magic feels unique to the series. Mostly in how Ruby has FaceTime installed.

Illya's transformation sequence can't compete with some of the other shows this season, but it was nicely animated. Having Ruby narrate it while she was in the bath was also a nice touch, for all the two times it was used. Hoping that Miyu gets one next season.

I've always liked the idea of predecessor heroes, so Rin and Luvia were a welcome presence. Not just for their hilarious banter, but also for having some (slightly) older magical girls around. They even got their moment to shine in the Saber fight. It's not possible for there to be four magical girls around in this show, but it's a possibility I can entertain for fanfic and such.

Not that it couldn't have some gravitas to it. The fight with Saber where Illya believed everyone was dead carried some real emotional weight to it, and the repercussions were felt throughout the rest of the series. Friendship power won in the end, but it's a magical girl series. I'd be more disappointed if it didn't. The emotional beats were hit, and I believe in Illya and Miyu's friendship.

On the subject of music - I adore the opening theme. It sounds very similar to one of Nana Mizuki's Nanoha OPs, and ChouCho is a rising vocalist. The new StylipS ED didn't make as much of an impact, but it's a nice song nonetheless. Looking forward to the character song album coming out in a month or two.

One of the most important parts of any series is to get someone interested in more of it, and now I do want to see Fate/stay night (and the Unlimited Blade Works movie.) I know reviews on both of those are mixed, but I'm usually an anime guy. Most of the VNs I play aren't adapted to anime anyhow. Telling me that it's bad and I should stay away will only make me want to watch it more. Even if it's imperfect, I want to explore more of these characters. Which is why if I do watch it, Zero is lower priority. It doesn't involve a lot of the cast that I got to know here, and I've heard it's more Urobuchi-depressing. Which is fine once in a while, just not the mood I'm seeking from my anime.

Looking forward to the OVA and the sequel.

Final Thoughts: Pure and sparkly magical girl series with an interesting magic system, that makes me want to see more of the franchise it was derived from. Enjoyable!

Jarmel

Banned
That Kill La Kill music is awful. Come on Sawano. First half sounds like something I would find in Pirates of the Carrribean and the second half is just meh.

I'm sure most don't need my stance on fanservice, but I have hope that KLK will be wonderfully absurd and lewd and I'm very much looking forward to it.

PsionBolt

[...]
now I do want to see Fate/stay night (and the Unlimited Blade Works movie.) I know reviews on both of those are mixed, but I'm usually an anime guy. Most of the VNs I play aren't adapted to anime anyhow. Telling me that it's bad and I should stay away will only make me want to watch it more. Even if it's imperfect, I want to explore more of these characters.
I'm glad someone enjoyed this show. I personally thought it was a pretty disappointing adaptation, but liking this season means you'll likely watch the next, which should be much better.

Just to make one thing clear - until 2wei airs, the only other anime you can find these characters in would be maybe Carnival Phantasm. Their versions from the Fate and UBW anime really only share a name and face (and for Illya, not even a face).

Uchouten Kazoku 4 & 5

Family fueds are quite the bitch, especially when it fucks you over to the point of life and death.

Getting a lot of backstory fleshing out the events of the world, and what's weird is how things are just dropped into conversation without a care in the world. I'm not really saying that as a negative, per say, but it's kinda odd nonetheless.

On the backstory again, everyone seems to interconnected like... one big family (but not really), or rather, a world that just consists of them primarily is rather neat
I mean shit, 2 of the Friday Fellows have connections to the mythicals here, Benten and the Professor, who saved the MC who I won't bother memorizing's mother. Either way, thanks to entertaining the Friday Fellows, he's apparently part of them now

In some ways though... it feels like a weird romance when Benten appears.

Midonin

I wouldn't have minded if it (Illya) was the standard 12 episodes instead of 10, but even in that slightly abbreviated span of time, it had enough action and character investment for me to find it time well spent.

As my reviews continue coming in, you'll find that I can enjoy almost anything. I'll never hate a series, and my standards aren't that high, if a bit esoteric.

/XX/

That's one thing I love about Sora no Woto, although I think they just recreated the town in Spain (?) and didn't do much with taking anything specific from it to put in the show.
Yeah, much of the setting was straight up lifted and re-assembled without further modifications (they re-organized some parts, like the 'Torre de Mangana', which isn't actually inside the 'Convento e Iglesia de San Pablo' building complex as it is presented on the series). Nervertheless, their scouting work (you can see them at it here; http://www.sorawoto.com/special/sp0301.html & http://www.sorawoto.com/special/sp0302.html) was very good seeing the kind of nice layouts and backgrounds someone like Tomoyuki "Alarcón" Aoki was able to produce, and that he himself uploaded for a nice video compilation available at YouTube:

ソ・ラ・ノ・ヲ・ト sora no wo to TV animation - YouTube
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xYOybU3UCGE

Yeah, it's set in a small village in Spain and the fortress that they are in is actually a hotel in real life. lol
I keep forgetting the person here who knows all about it - I want to say it was Erigu or /XX/, who posted a newspaper article from Spain about Sora no Woto - I can't remember who it was though, so apologies in advance. :(
Hey, "small village" you say? Cuenca is the full-fledged capital city of a whole province... well, the less populated capital city of the whole country, but well... there it is! :p

What you habitually see represented about it is the old part of the town, the 'casco histórico', the new part of the city to the south of the old one is much more bigger in comparison.

And I think the one who posted about that newspaper article you mention was probably Erigu, yeah. I only remember talking specifically in here about this video about the matter from our reporter's agency EFE and perhaps some other TV report as well, because after the sudden spike of Japanese tourists coming in droves to the city, many national TV stations found it amusing enough to feature it on their daily news programmes.

Jex

[Blue Exorcist - The Movie] really was pretty good. I'm not quite sure why there's a petition to get firehawk12 to watch it though. Is it to tickle his shounen hearto?

JCG

In the end it will be something fun to watch as their other jobs, but the feeling I had while watching it was how derivative was of their own past works.

That would be a problem for me...if it weren't for the fact that many of Gainax's past works were themselves highly derivative (including those involving Trigger people).

This fact alone doesn't really say anything about the quality of the final product, for better or for worse, much less its entertainment value.

In any case, I'm still looking forward to Kill la Kill after that trailer. Very much so.

I wouldn't have minded if it (Illya) was the standard 12 episodes instead of 10, but even in that slightly abbreviated span of time, it had enough action and character investment for me to find it time well spent.

As my reviews continue coming in, you'll find that I can enjoy almost anything. I'll never hate a series, and my standards aren't that high, if a bit esoteric.
In this case this is probably for the better because the first part ( that was adapted in the first season was incredibly short in manga ) i was honnestly wondering what kind of filler they would add in the story until someone told me it was 10 eps . Second season has way more material to cover.

Easy to Understand Ancient Magic

I've never actually seen anything in the Fate series. Never played the VNs, watched any of the anime, or things like that. My exposure has been entirely through memes. I know what an Unlimited Blade Works is, I just don't know the context of it. What I do know and love is magical girls. So I went into Illya blind, knowing there might be a few things I'd not get, and, with it being the first summer show to wrap, also the first to review.

Not the first time I've gone into an anime backwards. I saw Mai-Otome before Mai-HiME, and care more about what goes on with Kujibiki Unbalance than Genshiken. Not to mention knowing the world of Xenoglossia before seeing any of the mainline iM@S series. The relationship between Illya and Stay/Night is tighter than any of those, so it may give me a clearer picture of what to expect.

I caught a fair bit of the references, such as Rin's scene in the first episode propositioning Illya being a mirror of Saber's scene, but the specific names of spells might be lost on me. I can't judge it as an entry in the Fate franchise, because I have no point of reference to do that. I can, however, judge it as a magical girl series. And as one of those, it succeeded wonderfully.

The series, I thought, achieved a nice balance between light jabs at magical girl series (like Illya and Miyu using them as a reference point for what a magical girl should be), while at the same time embracing its nature as a magical girl series to the fullest. The non-magical girl magic seen, mostly coming from Rin and Luvia, looks like it involves a lot of chants and magical artifacts. Both feel theatrical, epic. Fitting for a franchise involving legends.

The fight scenes were really good. The Parallel Include at the end with the theme song playing gave me chills, and Illyarcher's duel against Saber had a lot of dynamic movement and striking visuals. For a show with a lot of nighttime scenes, it nonetheless kept a light color palette and atmosphere the whole time. Many magical girl fights take place in broad daylight or in magical barriers, so it's a little different.

When it comes to the characters, I, again, don't know how close they are to their Stay/Night versions, but I'll assume "close enough". Illya's classmates (Tatsuko especially) never felt like they were unimportant, and her family/servants the same. Plus, the character dynamics allowed for some great comedy. Miyu's exaggerated skills in the classroom come to mind, as does the entire breasts conversation. Not to mention Illya having a Yoshika Miyafuji-like perverted side.

And oh my goodness, the yuri. Iliya/Miyu have one of the strongest bonds of the many that I've seen this season. It's a common magical girl thing, but making declarations like Miyu did after "friendship" takes it to a higher plane. A little bit of yuri can get me to like any series, and if we're judging Illya on yuri level, it's S-class. (Pun intended?)

Then there's the wands. Magical Ruby strikes me as "Raising Heart if Raising Heart was charmingly dickish". That's the first time I've seen a magical girl get cajoled into the role by her own weapon. Though there's definitely a hint of Nanoha/Cardcaptor to the whole thing, a lot of this magic feels unique to the series. Mostly in how Ruby has FaceTime installed.

Illya's transformation sequence can't compete with some of the other shows this season, but it was nicely animated. Having Ruby narrate it while she was in the bath was also a nice touch, for all the two times it was used. Hoping that Miyu gets one next season.

I've always liked the idea of predecessor heroes, so Rin and Luvia were a welcome presence. Not just for their hilarious banter, but also for having some (slightly) older magical girls around. They even got their moment to shine in the Saber fight. It's not possible for there to be four magical girls around in this show, but it's a possibility I can entertain for fanfic and such.

Not that it couldn't have some gravitas to it. The fight with Saber where Illya believed everyone was dead carried some real emotional weight to it, and the repercussions were felt throughout the rest of the series. Friendship power won in the end, but it's a magical girl series. I'd be more disappointed if it didn't. The emotional beats were hit, and I believe in Illya and Miyu's friendship.

On the subject of music - I adore the opening theme. It sounds very similar to one of Nana Mizuki's Nanoha OPs, and ChouCho is a rising vocalist. The new StylipS ED didn't make as much of an impact, but it's a nice song nonetheless. Looking forward to the character song album coming out in a month or two.

One of the most important parts of any series is to get someone interested in more of it, and now I do want to see Fate/stay night (and the Unlimited Blade Works movie.) I know reviews on both of those are mixed, but I'm usually an anime guy. Most of the VNs I play aren't adapted to anime anyhow. Telling me that it's bad and I should stay away will only make me want to watch it more. Even if it's imperfect, I want to explore more of these characters. Which is why if I do watch it, Zero is lower priority. It doesn't involve a lot of the cast that I got to know here, and I've heard it's more Urobuchi-depressing. Which is fine once in a while, just not the mood I'm seeking from my anime.

Looking forward to the OVA and the sequel.

Final Thoughts: Pure and sparkly magical girl series with an interesting magic system, that makes me want to see more of the franchise it was derived from. Enjoyable!
You're right as a magicla girl serie , it's different and very good. it lacks in the transformation scene , but has much better characters ... the wands being characters that also drive the show forward is a good thing since ruby was a great asset.

Same with the rin & luvia clashes ... they were a good way to spend time.

Overall i like the season but i also know it's only a prologue and that the main fun is for season 2 so if you like S1 , be sure to check for S2 because it has everything you liked but better.

I'm glad someone enjoyed this show. I personally thought it was a pretty disappointing adaptation, but liking this season means you'll likely watch the next, which should be much better.
i think it was a great adaptation ( picture & link related ) besides some of teh character design and even then it wasn't that bad in motion.
Just to make one thing clear - until 2wei airs, the only other anime you can find these characters in would be maybe Carnival Phantasm. Their versions from the Fate and UBW anime really only share a name and face (and for Illya, not even a face).

At this point there is no real need to point to the original material, it's just that different.

Midonin

In this case this is probably for the better because the first part ( that was adapted in the first season was incredibly short in manga ) i was honnestly wondering what kind of filler they would add in the story until someone told me it was 10 eps . Second season has way more material to cover.
A few one-off episodes don't hurt. They're a chance to experiment and expand on lesser-seen characters and worldbuild. Though this length was fine for its material. I have also heard that stories should be exactly as long as they need to be.

At this point there is no real need to point to the original material, it's just that different.
But it will provide something valuable - context.

And I know, lots of people saying S2 will be better, but season one told a story of its own that I found quite enjoyable. Thinking it of something to get through just to get to the "good part" always strikes me as odd. Would the good part be as good if it the parts proceeding it weren't also good, and gave it the foundation to build on? Holism, yo.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom