• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Summer 2013 Anime |OT3| only manly sports allowed

Status
Not open for further replies.
Wolf's Rain 24

This was a pretty slow episode, and nothing much happened nor did we learn anything
except that, as expected, wolves did not destroy Quint's home and family
. This would probably have been less than a full episode if SARS had not intervened. That said, what it did do very well is build up an atmosphere of dread surrounding Jaguara and the abnormal city she has created for herself. Hige's scenes were especially good at this, with their constant motif of the security camera. The clean, modern look of the city, with its industrial design and maze-like alleyways, is unlike anything we've seen in the show up to this point, so it stands out as strangely out of place.

Looking forward to hopefully getting some answers in the next episode.

Shard

XBLAnnoyance
Love Lab Episode 11: Yea, I am agreeing with the crowd here, this was a rather uneven episode. I think this has to due with with the fact that Love Lab at the end of the day isn't really good with the love part. Indeed, this is not a romantic comedy but a comedy built around the warped notions of love by five lovable nut jobs. Indeed even the interactions with the male 'suitors" Nagi and Yan are mostly played off for laughs because they are generic and unimportant to the actual proceedings. Yan and Maki's interactions are kind of amusing at best but what really drags this episode and indeed this series down a notch is when Riko and Nagi roll out their stupid fucking generic tsudndere shit. Anyway, it is very telling that the most credible romantic relationship at this point is Riko and Maki. Though that does bring up another irk of mine, I really wish this show would decide if it wants to be Het or Yuri because it keeps straddling that line and is just really unsure which path to take.

Jex

If you're unfortunate enough to live in the Attack on Titan universe than you have every right to go around wailing like a lunatic. That place sucks.

What I find to be a bigger problem is the characters who act like they've only just realised that they live in a waking hell. I mean, it's been shit for a while, stop acting like it's suddenly all gone wrong!

jediyoshi

Maki and Riko are the glue of Love Lab. In a way I kind of wish the show would just focus on them.
The show revolving around maki/riko/eno would be unstoppable. And maybe if they talked about their napes more.
Up5fmIO.gif

If you're unfortunate enough to live in the Attack on Titan universe than you have every right to go around wailing like a lunatic. That place sucks.

What I find to be a bigger problem is the characters who act like they've only just realised that they live in a waking hell. I mean, it's been shit for a while, stop acting like it's suddenly all gone wrong!

To be fair, people living in the inner walls didn't really consider how bad it was. 1st world problems basically.

Love Lab Episode 11:

Though that does bring up another irk of mine, I really wish this show would decide if it wants to be Het or Yuri because it keeps straddling that line and is just really unsure which path to take.

It's only yuri in the fantasies and doujins of yuri fans. The characters have been clearly and explicitly heterosexual from the start.

Love Lab Episode 11: Yea, I am agreeing with the crowd here, this was a rather uneven episode. I think this has to due with with the fact that Love Lab at the end of the day isn't really good with the love part. Indeed, this is not a romantic comedy but a comedy built around the warped notions of love by five lovable nut jobs. Indeed even the interactions with the male 'suitors" Nagi and Yan are mostly played off for laughs because they are generic and unimportant to the actual proceedings. Yan and Maki's interactions are kind of amusing at best but what really drags this episode and indeed this series down a notch is when Riko and Nagi roll out their stupid fucking generic tsudndere shit. Anyway, it is very telling that the most credible romantic relationship at this point is Riko and Maki. Though that does bring up another irk of mine, I really wish this show would decide if it wants to be Het or Yuri because it keeps straddling that line and is just really unsure which path to take.

Sounds about right. Not too fond at the double tsundere thing, and part of me wonders if its done because it's a one cour show, so fuck actually developing it. Not sure how the manga does it, but that's how it appears to me right now.

Middling on dimb's comment about the newspaper club, considering they were resolved for the most part, and yet... looking at it, we could be developing the dudes more instead.

I mean, the show is funny and all, and it does comedy well, but the underlying plot lines.... needs more work.

Shard

XBLAnnoyance
It's only yuri in the fantasies and doujins of yuri fans. The characters have been clearly and explicitly heterosexual from the start.

Well, no, that isn't true either, intentional or not, the chemistry and framing between Riko and Maki is such where I have seen non-yuri fans call out and expected the two leads to hook up. Indeed this would be a much better romance anime if that occurred but I don't think this show would be nearly as funny either. It really is a grand paradox.

cajunator

Banned
Well, no, that isn't true either, intentional or not, the chemistry and framing between Riko and Maki is such where I have seen non-yuri fans call out and expected the two leads to hook up. Indeed this would be a much better romance anime if that occurred but I don't think this show would be nearly as funny either. It really is a grand paradox.

The two main leads do have some yuritastic moments but thats probably more like a sister bonding type of thing. Where they arent actually sisters.

Theonik

I agree 100% though the actual romance comedic parts are the weakest so I think it wouldn't lose much of its humour.

Shard

XBLAnnoyance
The two main leads do have some yuritastic moments but thats probably more like a sister bonding type of thing. Where they arent actually sisters.

Perhaps, but the ultimate point still stands, their relationship is the most defined. Also, having the entire academy swoon over these two does not help things.

dimb

Bjergsen is the greatest midlane in the world
Middling on dimb's comment about the newspaper club, considering they were resolved for the most part, and yet... looking at it, we could be developing the dudes more instead.
To me the relationship the student council has with the newspaper club just seems open ended. The newspaper stuff is still lingering around...did they get what they wanted? What did they want anyways? It seems like the outcome is for them to distribute relationship advice with their underground newspaper or whatever but I really don't think it adds anything to the story to have these abstract questions come in from anonymous parties. I'm not really sure what the end game for that is...particularly when the main cast is constantly portrayed as inept when it comes to the questions they are answering.

BluWacky

A page or so late to the party but I don't think the Kill La Kill PV is bad per se - it looks pretty much as I expected it to. It's vibrant and interestingly animated - but I'm not sure if the plot's going to be that exciting after all.

However, Satsuki... I like Satsuki. Can she win? I don't care about the hotblooded pervert talking uniform heroine, but icy tea-drinking oujo-sama student council presidents are right up my Jury Arisugawa-style street.

Don't get me wrong - I'm still more hyped about Galileidonna, of which we have seen nothing, than Kill La Kill by a long way. But I think I may be more resigned to shrugging my shoulders at Imaishi's excesses now - I know they're not really my "kind of thing", and kind of just let them wash over me as his style is so easily identifiable.

To me the relationship the student council has with the newspaper club just seems open ended. The newspaper stuff is still lingering around...did they get what they wanted? What did they want anyways? It seems like the outcome is for them to distribute relationship advice with their underground newspaper or whatever but I really don't think it adds anything to the story to have these abstract questions come in from anonymous parties. I'm not really sure what the end game for that is...particularly when the main cast is constantly portrayed as inept when it comes to the questions they are answering.

I mean they made it look like they had a goal, to get reinstated or whatever, but the way it ended was practically a "I don't give a shit, as long as I have fun with my buddy here", and like you said, basically became a distributor for "Love Lab", where this will go? Who knows. It does seem like to me, that these things will probably be put off until later if it can secure a second season in order to spend more time developing the boys and whatnot, but at the same time, what's to stop them?

I think for the last one, only 2 of them have any form of boy experience, and one is just lying about being a high roller whose gonna get her ass revealed next week anyway.

I wasn't going into Love Lab expecting a romance show. That's not going to happen in a 4koma adaptation, nor would I want any serious romance to develop, because the serious parts of Love Lab are always the worst. As long as the comedy is there does the "plot" really matter? Not for me.

Not feeling that Kill La Kill PV. backlog season confirmed.

Watch Kyousogiga or be square. (This goes for all of you!)

Soma

However, Satsuki... I like Satsuki. Can she win? I don't care about the hotblooded pervert talking uniform heroine, but icy tea-drinking oujo-sama student council presidents are right up my Jury Arisugawa-style street.
Agreed.

#TeamDOMINATION

firehawk12

Subete no aware
Yeah, much of the setting was straight up lifted and re-assembled without further modifications (they re-organized some parts, like the 'Torre de Mangana', which isn't actually inside the 'Convento e Iglesia de San Pablo' building complex as it is presented on the series). Nervertheless, their scouting work (you can see them at it here; http://www.sorawoto.com/special/sp0301.html & http://www.sorawoto.com/special/sp0302.html) was very good seeing the kind of nice layouts and backgrounds someone like Tomoyuki "Alarcón" Aoki was able to produce, and that he himself uploaded for a nice video compilation available at YouTube:

ソ・ラ・ノ・ヲ・ト sora no wo to TV animation - YouTube
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xYOybU3UCGE

Hey, "small village" you say? Cuenca is the full-fledged capital city of a whole province... well, the less populated capital city of the whole country, but well... there it is! :p

What you habitually see represented about it is the old part of the town, the 'casco histórico', the new part of the city to the south of the old one is much more bigger in comparison.

And I think the one who posted about that newspaper article you mention was probably Erigu, yeah. I only remember talking specifically in here about this video about the matter from our reporter's agency EFE and perhaps some other TV report as well, because after the sudden spike of Japanese tourists coming in droves to the city, many national TV stations found it amusing enough to feature it on their daily news programmes.

You know, maybe I should have put this together, but are you and Erigu both Spaniards? lol

And yeah, I suppose I think of it as a small village based only on what we see in the anime. It certainly looks like a cozy place anyway (With no roads for cars!).

I wonder how many of those tourists came specifically because of Sora no Woto though. I mean, apparently Japanese people have went to Venice specifically because of Aria I suppose, but it's still late night anime after all!

dimb

Bjergsen is the greatest midlane in the world
Who knows. It does seem like to me, that these things will probably be put off until later if it can secure a second season in order to spend more time developing the boys and whatnot, but at the same time, what's to stop them?
even as someone who thinks love lab is kinda okay a second season seems sort of inconceivably trite.
I wasn't going into Love Lab expecting a romance show. That's not going to happen in a 4koma adaptation, nor would I want any serious romance to develop, because the serious parts of Love Lab are always the worst. As long as the comedy is there does the "plot" really matter? Not for me.
regardless of it's origin the anime version is still structured and tailored to a long form story with plots that sometimes span multiple episodes. there is definitive progression and "serious" stuff...but relationship stuff between the main cast and men is constantly pushed off to the side while being teased. it's kind of just a drag.

Wolf's Rain 25-26

This was certainly an exciting, visceral climax. However, it didn't entirely work for me, and I think Jaguara is the main cause. She's been kept mysterious for so long that even though her past and motivations have suddenly been revealed (though clunky exposition of the "Let's tell each other what we already know" type), I can't comprehend her or grasp her desires. Darcia I could understand, but not this woman. Especially with the confusing nature of the Nobles and the way it pushed into the fantastical apocalyptic, I was left somewhat cold. It doesn't feel entirely consistent in tone with the rest of the series, which is I suppose due to Dai Sato driving this plot arc instead of Nobumoto.

The character moments with the wolves and the other main cast I still enjoyed.
Blue's reunion and reconciliation with Quent
was my favorite moment; that was a well done and moving scene. I'm looking forward to putting this behind me and moving on with the wolves to the OVA episodes, which should bring me more of what I'm looking for from this show.

Toriko Episode 117 Save Humankind With Miraculous Gourmet Luck!

How does Komatsu make all these dishes requiring special preparation dishes and is still unranked for the top chefs? He ought to be in the top 100 after this arc

Weak action.

Metrotab

Banned
I just came back from my holiday, and finally managed to import my MAL library into my Hummingbird account. THE HEART

Probably still gonna update both to satisfy my inner demons about letting that list wither.

cnet128

Banned
Love Lab 11

Since everyone seemed to be talking about it I decided to make this my first episode of the evening!

Butyeah, I think Yan's mistake was perfectly understandable. In fact, I was just thinking earlier in the episode (thanks to Maki's mother calling her by her name) that "Natsuo" as a given name doesn't really suit her very well and it would actually feel more natural if "Maki" was her given name instead.

It made me really happy to see
Maki going to the same cram school as Riko. I really enjoy their interactions with the boys, so hopefully this means we get to see more of that!
It's a shame there are only two episodes left. Fingers crossed for a second season!

...Also I agree with others' opinions that Riko and her osananajimi should quit tsundereing it up and admit they like each other. Less empty antagonism and more blushing, please!

Brothers Conflict Episode 11 Love-Hate
BUFF-QRCIAA4Ukq.png

Futo is so thoughtful. The Natsu-nii and Subaru thing was really good but I want it to be resolved somewhat soon hopefully.
That Yusuke scene at the end was great

Gatchaman Crowds 10

GATCHAMAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAN!
GATCHAMAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAN!
GATCHAMAN!

If you dropped this show, now is the time to pick it back up

We see the team shot all the time in these types of shows, but I don't think we've seen a show build up to it as well as this one. Seeing even Pai and Jou realize what they must do truly got me pumped

Lafiel

と呼ぶがよい
Don't get the lukewarm reaction to the Kill La Kill PV.. it looks fucking awesome. Great art direction + awesome imaishit style.

Can't wait to finally get back into watching animu week-by-week when it starts airing.

sonicmj1

The Kill la Kill PV is pretty all over the place, but besides the eh music, I'm definitely on board. Even with Ryuuko's outfit, this still feels like more of the right kind of Imaishi (subjective, I guess), not the "piss shit fuck" Imaishi.

I mean Yoko's GL outfit is actually tasteful by comparison.

who are you to tell ryuuko what she can or cannot wear you puritan

i'm sure there's a perfectly valid in-story reason for her wearing that outfit won't you feel stupid once it's explained

stop trying to censor trigger's artistic vision if you don't like it don't watch it

I'm just here for Aoi Bungaku and Turn A Gundam impressions!

I guess I'm at a really good stopping point for Gifuu Doudou, so I'll go back to Aoi Bungaku and watch a few more stories over the next couple of days.

I thought I wasn't watching much anime, but since there are a bunch of shows I'm behind on that I want to catch up with (still thinking about starting Rozen Maiden), I may just have to watch more than one episode of anime a day somehow if I want to finish up most things before the new season starts.

Theonik

Rabu Rabu 11
Not much that's not already said, seeing Maki's dad composing his next masterpiece put a smile on my face though.

Branduil

i'm sure there's a perfectly valid in-story reason for her wearing that outfit won't you feel stupid once it's explained

stop trying to censor trigger's artistic vision if you don't like it don't watch it

i3fBv7aTK3upb.PNG

You will feel ashamed of your words and deeds.

Don't get the lukewarm reaction to the Kill La Kill PV.. it looks fucking awesome. Great art direction + awesome imaishit style.

Can't wait to finally get back into watching animu week-by-week when it starts airing.

I'm with you on that. I'm super excite.

Though I do think it was a weirdly cut PV at points, but it hasn't made me any less hyped.

Sora no Otoshimono S1+S2+Movie
Sora+no+Otoshimono+Forte+-+03+-+Large+Snapshot+03.jpg

Well that was a lot of panties and boobs. I must say I had fun. Some great comedy episodes. Movie was kinda weird though. Maybe the most sudden change in tone I have seen in a while. It was actually pretty damn sad.

Sora no Otoshimono S1+S2+Movie
Sora+no+Otoshimono+Forte+-+03+-+Large+Snapshot+03.jpg

Well that was a lot of panties and boobs. I must say I had fun. Some great comedy episodes. Movie was kinda weird though. Maybe the most sudden change in tone I have seen in a while. It was actually pretty damn sad.

Recent chapters in the manga are sadder. Shit got really real.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom