• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Summer 2013 Anime |OT3| only manly sports allowed

Status
Not open for further replies.

Theonik

I rewatched Andromeda Stories recently.
http://i.minus.com/iZVM0BQgNEqNl.gifhttp://i.minus.com/iEcg9Py8RZtY6.gif
I was about 5 the first time I watched it (゚ロ゚ノ)ノ
And unsurprisingly no subs. This is joining Dream Hunter REM I suppose on my list of things I'll never watch because no-one cares to translate them :(

Strike Witches 1
Don't forget:
i12NtG862u1HZ.png

iqstl4mJA5b7r.jpg
ii5Tk7ycmXsGd.jpg
iRtR5pHdIILgJ.jpg
Also congratulations. Now get to episode 7.

Hey look, I drew something that's not lewd!
Fancy that!
Great work!

CorvoSol

Turn A Gundam 42

WHAT

THE

FUCK.

HOLY SHIT

WHAT THE FUCK

I don't know what I saw.

I mean that was DEFINITELY the Endless Waltz Sandrock Custom, and that was DEFINITELY the X Gundam and that was DEFINITELY the colony drop from the beginning of MSG. How? How are Endless Waltz and X canon to Universal Century? HOW IS THIS POSSIBLE?

I mean let's set aside what we've known all along, that this show is the end of the Universal Century. Let's put aside the fairly easy to guess, that the colonies have indeed left the Earth, and that the Earth and Moon fell into ruin. Let's forget all that for a minute.

WHY DID IS SEE LEOS AND SANDROCK SLICING SERPENTS? How is that possible AT ALL? How is After Colony part of this time line? How does that world even fit this? I got nothing for you folks. Other than that apparently everything is true and that all Gundam series take place at once now. So basically Kira and Amuro just sort of lived hilariously parallel lives that no one ever commented on. This is the Super Robot Wars of Gundam shows. The fuck.

And now that I've said that: FUCKING BUTTERFLY INDUCED APOCALYPSE. This entire scenario was devised by Iron Butterfly while on the MADDEST of acid trips. I mean what in the fuck? How can ANYONE say ANYTHING about S. Freedom's Light Wings or Wing Zero C.'s Angel Wings when the Turn A Gundam has NANOMACHINE INDUCED APOCALYPSES!?

I was so wrong. Everyone else was right. My theory about this show was never going to be crazy enough. I mean, how could it? How could anyone foresee this, even twenty episodes in? "Shocking!" Dark History indeed!

Theonik

Upotte!! OVA
If this OVA managed to do anything it convinced me that Ichiroku is the best girl in a swimsuit. Elle too :chet. Quite a few [REDACTED] moments this episode too, wanted to GIF one of them but I feared for my safety after the latest developments with the Google overlords. So yeah, bunch of fanservice, bunch of humour, and a lot of SD antics as well as some :SDBurton. I've wasted 25 minutes on a lot more mundane ways that this before.

Turn A Gundam 42
SEED at least is separate timeline wise. Pretty much everything else though co-exists with Turn A

cnet128

Banned
I'm going to unsubscribe and slowly back out then :'(

My favorite two this season so far:
Uchouten Kazoku <3 <3
Monogatari <3 <3 <3

EDIT: Also watching:
Gin no Saji
Kimi no Iru Machi (read the manga so why not)
Hunter x Hunter (if you cant tell from my last two avatars)
Watamote
Mushibugyo
Blood Lad
Yami Shibai
Genshiken

I approve of your favourites, but there is a disturbing lack of Gatchaman Crowds and Servant x Service on this list.

CorvoSol

Upotte!! OVA
If this OVA managed to do anything it convinced me that Ichiroku is the best girl in a swimsuit. Elle too :chet. Quite a few [REDACTED] moments this episode too, wanted to GIF one of them but I feared for my safety after the latest developments with the Google overlords. So yeah, bunch of fanservice, bunch of humour, and a lot of SD antics as well as some :SDBurton. I've wasted 25 minutes on a lot more mundane ways that this before.

SEED at least is separate timeline wise. Pretty much everything else though co-exists with Turn A

How does that even work for G Gundam? The setting of G Gundam is like the inversion of UC, in that G has the colonies as the oppressors. And this is before asking how the giant DEVIL NEO JAPAN COLONY would go completely unnoticed in UC.

This is like if one day Aonuma came out and said that all Zelda games took place in the same timeline, no splits, and within 25 years of each other. Except fucking crazier.

Theonik

How does that even work for G Gundam? The setting of G Gundam is like the inversion of UC, in that G has the colonies as the oppressors. And this is before asking how the giant DEVIL NEO JAPAN COLONY would go completely unnoticed in UC.

This is like if one day Aonuma came out and said that all Zelda games took place in the same timeline, no splits, and within 25 years of each other. Except fucking crazier.
The G Gundam stuff derives from
remember when they showed that dark history plan montage? One of the Gundam they showed was a horse Gundam.
as to how much sense it makes the timeframe possibly being 10k years after the events of those shows kinda justifies it to me. I mean it should be 1k years plus after the Moonlight Butterfly stuff at least, and that's already several millennia after any Gundam show.
The other point as to why you need to be aware of is that Turn A was conceived as an aniversary show celebrating the 20th anniversary of the original Mobile Suit Gundam and so was made to include almost everything Gundam at that point as fanservice.

cnet128

Banned
I watched Gatchaman 1 and apart from the art it was absolute trash lol I dunno with S x S the name puts me off.

Calling one of the best shows of the season trash? For shame.

You're not the first person who's mentioned passing on Servant x Service because of the name, though. Try reading a basic show description, people! It's about public servants, not creepy servants! It's a slice-of-life comedy set in an office!

pants

Calling one of the best shows of the season trash? For shame.
Nope. Seems plot light and everything that happened in ep 1 happened out of ether, the lead lady acts insane/on lsd, nothing bothers her. wtf.

You're not the first person who's mentioned passing on Servant x Service because of the name, though. Try reading a basic show description, people! It's about public servants, not creepy servants! It's a slice-of-life comedy set in an office!
I did read the description and it does sound like something I want, the name has waaay too much negative stigma, it's like a cloud of social failure follows it :(

hipbabboom

Huh? What did I say? Did I screw up again? :(
Watamote [episode]10's take on the anime-equivalent of a rolling start was pretty badass. Anime needs to do this more!

hat_hair

I did read the description and it does sound like something I want, the name has waaay too much negative stigma, it's like a cloud of social failure follows it :(

Is it the x? It's the x, isn't it?
It's a good show. Not the best ever, but a perfectly watchable Japanese sitcom. After watching any anime at all, you quickly realise that plenty of shows have completely ridiculous names, especially when they use english words.

Also, as a local government worker myself, your post makes me sad.

It would. For one thing, no one here thinks Attack on Titan is the greatest anime ever.

Look at the AOTY threads for reference :p

Eh. Just go to Attack on Titan thread. A lot of people love it (me included). It's gonna be high on AOTY list this year. Something like SAO was way different as people hated it even in the official thread.

hipbabboom

Huh? What did I say? Did I screw up again? :(
"School Days has one of the most cathartic moments of any anime I have ever seen."

It's like a cool strong piece of mint at the center of a huge pile of shit: Sure the mint taste great until you remember you remember what you had to eat to get to it.

Eh. Just go to Attack on Titan thread. A lot of people love it (me included). It's gonna be high on AOTY list this year. Something like SAO was way different as people hated it even in the official thread.

The AoT treatment is being very very curious.

When it was a small manga that it was winning some popularity mouth-to-mouth thanks to a novel story with mystery, action and a bleak atmosphere it was cool to like it.

Now that it's a uber popular anime, it's treated as the CoD of anime, the new Naruto, and it's cool to hate it.

When it was a small manga that it was winning some popularity mouth-to-mouth thanks to a novel story with mystery, action and a bleak atmosphere it was cool to like it.
But the anime never achieved any of that. It was a bad, poorly directed show from the very first episode even before the production issues and slow pacing became a problem.

Kurita

Now that it's a uber popular anime, it's treated as the CoD of anime, the new Naruto, and it's cool to hate it.
The manga still was popular before the anime (but yeah, it got a HUGE boost with the anime).

Theonik

But the anime never achieved any of that. It was a bad, poorly directed show from the very first episode even before the production issues and slow pacing became a problem.
That and I'd argue that the increase of its popularity lead to more critical people reading the manga too. Not to mention the novelty eventually wore off.

faridmon

i really don't think that is the case. Popularity have nothing to do with. Its one of those shows/series that have big flaws which might turn one off, but at the same time can understand why someone would like; it has enough "cool" thing going on which might win over the averege joe and people who aren't who aren't sucstablevto those flaws.

wonzo

Banned
Episode 10 of Silver Spoon was by far and away one the of the best episodes of the year.

That and I'd argue that the increase of its popularity lead to more critical people reading the manga too. Not to mention the novelty eventually wore off.
p. much

zeroshiki

Yeah, no. Alot of people "hating" on it dislike it for very valid reasons and not because its cool to hate it whatever that means. I had no idea what the series was and came into it with no expectations either way. The shitty production values turned me way off. If the creators don't bother to produce their work properly then I'm not gonna waste my time watching it.

fertygo

Getter Robo Armageddon 1

I feel like I should have watched like 5 other series before starting this. Some confusing stuff going on and I barely remember anything from Shin Getter Robo.

Still fun though, as expected. Art looks great too. They're making good use of the spiral eyes.

Doesn't matter, its standalone despite looked like sequel from first glance. Watching previous incarnation not gonna get you anything beside nostalgic feels.

Rozen Maiden 11

LhX2b35.jpg

This is an amazing background.

The events of the last half were handled perfectly. Kirakishou was creepier than ever (spoilers),
and her death cry was intensely raw. I had to feel some pity for her utter despair at hearing Jun reject her. There was a real tragedy in the way her hand reached forward towards him, only to reluctantly pull back. Shinku's collapse was another expressively animated moment. Seeing her crumble before Jun's eyes, just as he thought it was all over, really got to me. The decision to overlay Jun's dumb, disbelieving stare at her scattered parts with Suiseiseki's agonized cry at Souseiseki being taken from her yet again was clever and effective; Suiseiseki not only cried for herself and her twin, but also gave expression to what Jun was unable to get out.

This episode gave me even more respect for the ED sequence than I already had. In the past couple episodes, I've realized the relevance of the spotlights and moon phases that light up above Shinku's sleeping body in it, and now the connection has been made between the pendulum that opens the ED and the prop clock that has been central to the climax. The way the last shot of the episode faded out with the same effect used to fade in to the ED, and the narrative connection that was drawn between the ending events of the episode and the opening of the ED, made this the strongest transition into the ED yet. It seamlessly carried through the mood so that I could reflect on what just happened.

With 5 animation directors and 2 episode directors, one of them Hatakeyama himself, this episode must have had a rougher production than the rest, which is evidenced by some inconsistency in the drawings. Nothing major though.

The final two episodes should be great.

cajunator

Banned

This gif makes my head hurt.

CG never really bothered me until people started pointing them out. Now I see it everywhere and get really upset.

I still think the CG in Last Exile was pretty good for its time. Other shows not so much.
Simoun is a pretty interesting show but the CG in it is the epitome of awful for example.

I usually watch a lot of shows from every season but have never participated here, gonna change that today. Been watching anime since 1989, hello.

Hello and welcome! Watch Yami to Boshi!

cajunator

Banned
Hey look, I drew something that's not lewd!

Fancy that!

Seen this in various stages of progress and I love it. Best girl doing monocle things.

Didn't see if this got posted, Dareka no Manazashi (Makoto Shinkai short) got an english sub up
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mpwoGkKQDik&hd=1

6WcNntH.png

Thanks for this!

Watamote [episode]10's take on the anime-equivalent of a rolling start was pretty badass. Anime needs to do this more!

It was a really fun effect and lead in. I cant remember the last time an anime tried that.

sonicmj1

Gifuu Doudou 5

In which the villains send hapless old men to their deaths for no reason, and our heroes turn their enemies' scheming against them.

iPhktaP7x1070.jpg

This guy is such a caricature. He's steaming mad!

Even with some liberal use of CG models to fill out the armies, it hit some nice moments to signify the turning points of the battle, focusing (naturally) on the leaders of the respective armies. One thing that kind of struck me was how the episode portrayed the space they were fighting in. It felt a little inconsistent. The two armies are arrayed on opposite sides of a valley, and it alternately seemed like a vast distance and a narrow chasm from which enemy generals could shout at each other. I guess the latter was more for effect than anything else.

iwscwYMfseQKZ.jpg

I also figured this giant water dragon was for effect too. That or our characters have magic dragon summoning powers, which I guess is within the realm of possibility.

I wonder what crazy adventures our heroes will get up to next episode!

Shard

XBLAnnoyance
Attack on Titan would probably be my number four pick right now, but it really is too early since we still have the mighty Fall Season (I think at a glance I have spied at least three AOTY candidates) to see where things lie.

Shard

XBLAnnoyance
Watamote is the best anime this year.

I will fight anybody and everybody on this point, Watamote, my own personal hatred aside has gotten too repetitive and Tomoko lacks and real change or growth, she is still the same horrible and shallow shut-in from episode one. Oh, yes, the pain of her isolation is a point I get but god damn, it has almost put me to sleep on more then one occasion. Better comedies that emerged this season are Servant x Service and Love Lab.

hat_hair

AOTY doesn't air until November, otherwise it's still the Nanoha A's movie.

That was nice eye-candy, but really it was a horribly rushed story that failed to foster any attachment to the characters or give weight to anyone's actions.
If you haven't seen the original A's, you shouldn't watch it, and if you have then you've already seen the same story told but better.

That was nice eye-candy, but really it was a horribly rushed story that failed to foster any attachment to the characters or give weight to anyone's actions.
If you haven't seen the original A's, you shouldn't watch it, and if you have then you've already seen the same story told but better.

I wouldn't say it was "horribly rushed" for what was essentially an all-out fanservice movie, and I feel that they did a great job with cutting/changing things to still keep the overall feel of the show, and we still got plenty of screen time of the Belkan Knights to learn their motivations for what they did in A's. I certainly agree it shouldn't be a substitute for the show (the first movie too) as it cuts out a decent sized chunk of character interaction and even a major plot point, but it did what it meant to do extremely well: HDDDDDDDDDDDDDDD NANOHA.

zeroshiki

Rozen Maiden (2013) - 11

That was a depressing episode. Aside from the overuse of SD (this episode probably had the most number of SD sequences in the series by a factor of 2) I really didn't find anything objectionable with this episode animation/art wise. The direction was still pretty tight and it made for an enjoyable experience.

One complaint though, this probably fits more in a season review, is I really could have done without the multiple timelines and alternate worlds. I would have more than enjoyed a simple "what-if" scenario of the Jun who did not wind.
Introducing alternate branches and the original Jun only serves to confuse the story.
The story is and always has been about the grown up Jun finding his way in life. They could have easily kept to that without introducing confusing alternate reality stuff.

hat_hair

I wouldn't say it was "horribly rushed" for what was essentially an all-out fanservice movie, and I feel that they did a great job with cutting/changing things to still keep the overall feel of the show, and we still got plenty of screen time of the Belkan Knights to learn their motivations for what they did in A's. I certainly agree it shouldn't be a substitute for the show (the first movie too) as it cuts out a decent sized chunk of character interaction and even a major plot point, but it did what it meant to do extremely well: HDDDDDDDDDDDDDDD NANOHA.

Yeah, I was being a bit hyperbolic there. I did enjoy it, even if I felt the pacing was bad and the movie as a whole a little insubstantial. They definitely did a better job of condensing the plot into a movie than I expected, especially with all the crazy fights, but I still can't consider it anywhere near AOTY level.

Amazing Twins PV

Original Work/Director: Junichi Sato (Princess Tutu, Kaleido Star)
Script/Story Cooperation: Mari Okada (Hanasaku Iroha, Ano Hana)
Character Design: Takehito Harada (Disgaea)
Animation Character Design/Unit Director: Fumitoshi Oizaki (Kaleido Star)
Chief Animation Director: Ikuko Ito (Princess Tutu)
Color Design: Kunio Tsujita (Kaleido Star)
Art Director: Shigeru Morimoto (Before Green Gables)
Director of Photography: Takeo Ogiwara (Princess Tutu)
Editing: Aya Hida (Kaleido Star)
Music: Conisch (Mardock Scramble)
Animation Production: Encourage Films

firehawk12

Subete no aware
Amazing Twins PV

Original Work/Director: Junichi Sato (Princess Tutu, Kaleido Star)
Script/Story Cooperation: Mari Okada (Hanasaku Iroha, Ano Hana)

Character Design: Takehito Harada (Disgaea)
Animation Character Design/Unit Director: Fumitoshi Oizaki (Kaleido Star)
Chief Animation Director: Ikuko Ito (Princess Tutu)
Color Design: Kunio Tsujita (Kaleido Star)
Art Director: Shigeru Morimoto (Before Green Gables)
Director of Photography: Takeo Ogiwara (Princess Tutu)
Editing: Aya Hida (Kaleido Star)
Music: Conisch (Mardock Scramble)

God damn it Japan. I have no fucking idea how I'm supposed to feel about this project now.

I'm finally done with The Phantom Troupe Arc in Hunter X Hunter 2011. Overall I liked the arc. Lot's of action, blood, and interesting characters. I have to applaud the writer of HxH because the character designs that I saw were amazing. They were so diverse and almost no character looked the same. The bad would probably be the same things happening over and over again. Like Gon and Killua
being caught twice
, everyone with the same line of "if you move one step I kill you," the gambling, and the whole answer my question stuff. Just lots of the same old repetitive stuff kept happening.

Getting into the spoiler territory about the arc.
I really hate that Kurapika is still filled with hate all the time, I was starting to think he was going to have a change around once the Troupe's deaths were faked but I guess not. Also I can't believe Kurapika sealed the main antagonist of the arc's power and that's how it ended.

Also I took that suggestion and read that special chapter for Kurapika.
I wish they would have shown what happened so I could feel bad. It was more like an explanation instead of solid imagery that would make you feel bad for looking at it. The eye gouging and killing kids to make the parent's eyes red was a little much though. After knowing what happened, I still wish Kurapika wasn't so filled with rage. I've seen the my clan was killed story line for characters so much that it just doesn't seem that bad to me anymore I guess.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom