• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Summer 2013 Anime |OT3| only manly sports allowed

Status
Not open for further replies.

Soma

People who dropped gatchaman crowds are missing out on this seasons best anime

I've got this on hold for the time being but I'm not really sure if I ever will catch up on it any time soon. The show is so damn ugly sometimes and the flow of conversations felt so... off. What I've heard of the OST is amazing though, so I dunno. I might pick it back up eventually.

faridmon

I've got this on hold for the time being but I'm not really sure if I ever will catch up on it any time soon. The show is so damn ugly sometimes and the flow of conversations felt so... off. What I've heard of the OST is amazing though, so I dunno. I might pick it back up eventually.

Strangely enough, I like the colour palette. Its so colourful and reminds of Kuchu Buranko with that Purple and green clash.

cajunator

Banned
Don't know man. That first Episode was weird, almost too pretentious with its cross dressing, family feud, animal transformation and people who are scared of a woman who is a femdom and being worshipped by that dude, and all of those elements are introduced without any context, explanation or any kind logical story progression.

I know its 1 episode, but again, the whole thing didn't feel coherent.

Those characters really annoyed the hell out of me. Gatchman that is.

I think Gatchaman's characters are quite fun and the reason to watch it, but I can also see why people wouldnt. Its kind of silly and nonsensical but so is my brain.

I haven't really been feeling Gatchaman for like, 6-7 weeks. None of the characters in the show seem to play off of each other that well and the pacing has just been kind of all over the place. This particular "over the top"-ness is just kind of tiring to watch and I'm pretty sure the only reason I haven't dropped it now is because I'm too far in.

faridmon

I think Gatchaman's characters are quite fun and the reason to watch it, but I can also see why people wouldnt. Its kind of silly and nonsensical but so is my brain.

Fair enough. I just think that some of the reaction towards things in that show (at least in that first Episode) is just nonsensical and doesn't make sense. That character got her heart ripped off and she is still as genki as ususal.

You know what? I'll give Eccentric another chance. If it remains how it is, then bye to it.

cajunator

Banned
I haven't really been feeling Gatchaman for like, 6-7 weeks. None of the characters in the show seem to play off of each other that well and the pacing has just been kind of all over the place. This particular "over the top"-ness is just kind of tiring to watch and I'm pretty sure the only reason I haven't dropped it now is because I'm too far in.

I watch a little of the show at a time so it works for me. Its kind of a fun distraction and I honestly dont remember parts of it lol.

pants

the flow of conversations felt so... off.
I'm okay with weird conversations, I like Monogatari after all. but It's this right here that totally puts me off. Nothing anyone is saying registers in the leading lady's mind and she just spouts whatever the fuck she wants. She has 'conversations' in ether.

santeesioux

Yeah, this is one of those shows i just about dropped every week, but now i'm at the point that i may as well just finish it.

fertygo

Don't know man. That first Episode was weird, almost too pretentious with its cross dressing, family feud, animal transformation and people who are scared of a woman who is a femdom and being worshipped by that dude, and all of those elements are introduced without any context, explanation or any kind logical story progression.

That's the point, later on if you got it.. you gonna enjoy it because its unique supernatural atmosphere.

Things are introduced without context and explanation because the characters have a long history with each other and know the context of what they're talking about. They are deliberately not cluing the viewer in because things will be elaborated on and fleshed out as the show goes on. Its a far better way to write dialogue instead of having the characters expostion-ing at each other over things both already know just for the benefit of the audience.

Wolf's Rain - End

So that's what the OP was about. I couldn't imagine a better way to go out.

Wolf's Rain is a real masterpiece. These last four episodes in particular have done a masterful job of closing off the various character journeys and contextualizing the narrative thematically. They were painful to watch but so satisfying. Keiko Nobumoto delivered excellent scripts and the directors and animators were up to the challenge of visually realizing them. So many striking images. For the moment I'd rather just bask in the afterglow instead of attempting any more detailed analysis.

I will say one thing:
In the end, this was essentially a creation myth. Or perhaps I should say reincarnation myth, since the cosmology is cyclical instead of linear.

dimb

Bjergsen is the greatest midlane in the world
askoxford.com

duckroll

Wolf's Rain - End

Wolf's Rain is a real masterpiece. These last four episodes in particular have done a masterful job of closing off the various character journeys and contextualizing the narrative thematically. They were painful to watch but so satisfying. Keiko Nobumoto delivered excellent scripts and the directors and animators were up to the challenge of visually realizing them. So many striking images. For the moment I'd rather just bask in the afterglow instead of attempting any more detailed analysis.

I will say one thing:
In the end, this was essentially a creation myth. Or perhaps I should say reincarnation myth, since the cosmology is cyclical instead of linear.

Welcome to the club. There are those who see and accept Wolf's Rain for what it is, and those who wanted something different out of it. I can't ever fault people who just can't find a way to appreciate the show, because it definitely tells a story on its own terms without compromise, but the way it ends is just so amazingly beautiful to me. Watching how the climax unfolds, going through the actual climax, and seeing how it ends and brings new meaning to the entire story is a really great experience.

The narrative of the series being a road movie is ultimately only a vehicle for the story to tell what it really wants to - a first hand account of one end cycle of a fable which has been told over and over, and will continue to be told. Making the characters involved in the fable so personal and so developed only makes it more painful at the end, but it is extremely effective in evoking the emotions needed for the message to work - change is hard, remaking a world is painful, and losing everything to make something better is something which sounds great and probably is great but only for those who are watching or reading in a totally detached manner concerned only with the outcome.

Aside from just the writing though, visually the show pulls off the "full circle" ending so effectively, it's really breathtaking. Having the show start with Kiba in the snow all alone, and ending it the same way, and then closing it off with the OP... soooo good.

I really wish Keiko Nobumoto can find the interest and time to return to creating more stories like this. I'm glad she's writing some of Space Dandy, but I don't think it'll be quite the same as having an entire series with her stamp on it, like Cowboy Bebop and Wolf's Rain. :(

Jex

Wolf's Rain - End

I will say one thing:
Ah, so you fall on the side that finds the ending of Wolf's Rain to be sublime and masterful (a side which I find myself allied with) where as others seem to feel it's rather weak. Those people, however, are crazy.

duckroll

Ah, so you fall on the side that finds the ending of Wolf's Rain to be sublime and masterful (a side which I find myself allied with) where as others seem to feel it's rather weak. Those people, however, are crazy.

Crazy is the wrong word. We should not insult their unique taste. We should pity them instead. Many were called, but few are chosen. :(

faridmon

Things are introduced without context and explanation because the characters have a long history with each other and know the context of what they're talking about. They are deliberately not cluing the viewer in because things will be elaborated on and fleshed out as the show goes on. Its a far better way to write dialogue instead of having the characters expostion-ing at each other over things both already know just for the benefit of the audience.

Look, I don't like your typical unneeded exposition in my anime like anybody else, but if things are introduced in middle of a story or a happening, things have to be in orderly fashion. Also, I don't like the fact that flashbacks have been over-utilised when exposition is not used at all. The characters ay have a long history behind them, but I really didn't like the interaction between the cross dressing guy and the female especially since he came from having a great chemistry with the old man.

Also, isn't the dude under-age? Whats up with the kiss?

That's the point, later on if you got it.. you gonna enjoy it because its unique supernatural atmosphere.

I do like great atmosphere in my Animes, so I'll give it another shot. After all, Ghost Hound is one of my favourite Animes last decade and that one had a shitty pace.

dimb

to say that eccentric family lacks context or exposition in its opener is simply false. it begins by laying out the setting and establishing the three parties involved: humans, tengu, and tanuki. on top of that the traits inherent to each are tagged appropriately up front.

cajunator

Banned
Fantasista Dolls 01

byeds9Y.jpg

Ok I looooove this. Very cute character designs and art style. A bit iffy on production and animation but some fun character expressions. Love the doll designs. But wtf is up with that one dolls hair? Thats some Shiki levels of wrong. I also like the little phone/card/plastic shit thing. It would be right at home in Precure. also the way dolls initially look like their clothes are bodypainted on is interesting. Overall a fun first episode that cut right to the chase. I like the protagonist girl although its yet another school setting and I could take that or leave it really.
Interested in squeeing more. That will have to come at a later date though :(

Free! 10

gnl5YN6l.jpg

All this Rin drama better lead up to the grand reveal that's he actually dead.

The hot pot moment was the most enjoyable part of this episode and the sensei mystery gets solved!

It's easy to see why people have problems with the ending of Wolf's Rain.
You spend all this time getting attached to the characters and instead of them getting a happy ending they're killed off one by one. Plus it ends with a whimper instead of some
explosive climax like the TV ending. (By the way, I like the TV ending much better now that the OVA episodes contextualized it as a false, artificial solution.)
It's a harsh ending to accept. That doesn't make it bad though.

The narrative of the series being a road movie is ultimately only a vehicle for the story to tell what it really wants to - a first hand account of one end cycle of a fable which has been told over and over, and will continue to be told. Making the characters involved in the fable so personal and so developed only makes it more painful at the end, but it is extremely effective in evoking the emotions needed for the message to work - change is hard, remaking a world is painful, and losing everything to make something better is something which sounds great and probably is great but only for those who are watching or reading in a totally detached manner concerned only with the outcome.

The themes of a post-apocalyptic world struggling to hold on and competing desires to wipe the slate clean and remake the world remind me of Shin Megami Tensei IV. Especially in how the person remaking the world doesn't get to enjoy the fruits of his labors.

Aside from just the writing though, visually the show pulls off the "full circle" ending so effectively, it's really breathtaking. Having the show start with Kiba in the snow all alone, and ending it the same way, and then closing it off with the OP... soooo good.

Indeed, when the rain puddles that open the OP appeared it was a revelation to me. It at once closes the circle and promises that the story goes on.

I really wish Keiko Nobumoto can find the interest and time to return to creating more stories like this. I'm glad she's writing some of Space Dandy, but I don't think it'll be quite the same as having an entire series with her stamp on it, like Cowboy Bebop and Wolf's Rain. :(

Yeah, I'm sure her Space Dandy episodes will be good, but especially considering the comedic tone of the series there's no way they'll match up to her past work. Still, for years it would have been impossible to suspect that she would ever return to anime writing at all, so I have hope that she'll do a whole show again. Maybe Watanabe's show at MAPPA...?

Gintama Episode 22 – Marriage Is Prolonging an Illusion for Your Whole Life

Sachan is annoying and the worst character, I hope she doesnt return or else Ill skip the episode. Though I did laugh when she met the landlord lady.
gintama commentary and the dodging was funny

Kiniro Mosaic 11

Christmas and New Years fun times, and more yuri pandering. There was a spring graduation, I'm sure firehawk would like that.

Anyway there was some "drama", that happened due to Alice having a nightmare.... so she spoke in English out of fear of becoming too Japanese.

Karen on the other hand wants to become a samurai by becoming too japanese.

This is ending next week...

jediyoshi

Sakura Trick Kiniro Mosaic 11

yUz67ny.png

Gah, the MCs are so weird. Why are they so weird. I blame Shino. They need to shoehorn more Karen in even if the story isn't focusing on her to wash away the weirdness.

Jex

For reals. Sometimes a work will end in a manner that reveals that it's part of a greater cycle but few shows have the circle developed so fully as Wolf's Rain with the opening of the series, the opening credits and even the ending credits all tying together perfectly as everything comes to a close (although of course there is no end to this story).

Westlo

Recent chapters in the manga are sadder. Shit got really real.

Damn... don't know whether to catch up or not now.

I'm almost wondering if it got cancelled because of poor film sales or whatever. That was announced back in January of 2012 and we've heard nothing since. If it was a game, I wouldn't bat an eye, but that seems rarer for anime.

Going by your above quote is the manga nearing or already in endgame? Maybe they're waiting for the manga to finish before releasing a final season?

Jex

Aoi Bungaku - In the Woods Beneath the Cherry Blossoms in Full Bloom 1

This was really interesting. It could hardly be more different from the story that came before it, both in tone and in style.

[...]

It's hard to compare to "No Longer Human", but this is far more fun to watch.
You're doing god's work.
Thanks for the fascinating review and your continuing run of Aoi Bungaku posts. I've only watched the Run Melos episodes so far but I am now much more curious about the rest of the series (which for some reason I have in my head as being not very good).
The rest of the works certainly aren't as consistent or as beautiful as Run, Melos!
but they're all interesting in their own way. As each segment has a different director and a different art style and as they're all adaptations of different works the work as a whole is very rich and interesting.

Danganronpa The Animation 11

That wasn't a bad episode. Though I guess using that clock split screen wasn't exactly the clearest way to rely information.

Tenumi

Banned
So what the hell is RWBY? It keeps popping up on crunchyroll, for some reason, apparently produced by "Rooster Teeth" and directed by "Monty Oum."

Looks a bit Kingdom.

Its a CG, "anime-inspired" show created, yes, by Rooster Teach and Monty Oum. Its not a series for everyone. I personally like it, but seems like I'm the only one in AnimeGAF that does. Basically, Magical School.

cajunator

Banned
Its a CG, "anime-inspired" show created, yes, by Rooster Teach and Monty Oum. Its not a series for everyone. I personally like it, but seems like I'm the only one in AnimeGAF that does. Basically, Magical School.

I havent watched it yet lol.
Will probably like it since I already like the girls in it.

Railgun S - 22

I know this isn't cannon and that they are pushing the most they can for putting more characters on screens but still , some of those dialog could have been much better.

The highlight of this episode was without a doubt frenda in a red swimsuit...

CorvoSol

The G Gundam stuff derives from
remember when they showed that dark history plan montage? One of the Gundam they showed was a horse Gundam.
as to how much sense it makes the timeframe possibly being 10k years after the events of those shows kinda justifies it to me. I mean it should be 1k years plus after the Moonlight Butterfly stuff at least, and that's already several millennia after any Gundam show.
The other point as to why you need to be aware of is that Turn A was conceived as an aniversary show celebrating the 20th anniversary of the original Mobile Suit Gundam and so was made to include almost everything Gundam at that point as fanservice.

Basically everything is true, and the timeline be damned, I'm just going to assume that SEED and 00 happened, too.

Not AGE, though. Fuck not AGE.

It's like a cool strong piece of mint at the center of a huge pile of shit: Sure the mint taste great until you remember you remember what you had to eat to get to it.

Catharsis don't work unless you suffer first.

Syrinx

Ojamajo Doremi # 4

...Is that really what you do with a baby with a stuffy nose from a cold? Sick. Oh well, Doremi deserved it for being such a dumbass.

Crazy is the wrong word. We should not insult their unique taste. We should pity them instead. Many were called, but few are chosen. :(

Haven't seen Wolf's Rain yet, but seeing as you haven't led me astray yet (see: Fantastic Children) I'll be getting around to that very soon.

KimiNewt

Scored 3/100 on an Exam
Genshiken Niidaime 11
Woo, finally, a great episode. Almost touching. Watched that together with 9 & 10, so it's nice seeing some of the old gang again.

The whole bit really resonated with me as I (probably like many others) had that talk with someone (after liking them for a long time) and getting the expected rejection. I did not have the exact same response as Madarame though.

We did go out after she broke up with her bf some six months later. PERSISTENCE!

Got dumped two months later

cajunator

Banned
Genshiken Niidaime 11
Woo, finally, a great episode. Almost touching. Watched that together with 9 & 10, so it's nice seeing some of the old gang again.

The whole bit really resonated with me as I (probably like many others) had that talk with someone (after liking them for a long time) and getting the expected rejection. I did not have the exact same response as Madarame though.

We did go out after she broke up with her bf some six months later. PERSISTENCE!

Got dumped two months later

Genshiken has several neat moments. I dunno if Id say any of it was great but I havent seen this episode yet. Im on the 6th. Hato really makes the show though.

dimb

So what the hell is RWBY? It keeps popping up on crunchyroll, for some reason, apparently produced by "Rooster Teeth" and directed by "Monty Oum."

Looks a bit Kingdom.
rooster teeth is a group of people based in austin, texas. their success is primarily derived from their fan series "red vs. blue", a halo machinima. with a large following they were able to start up a company, which led to them hiring more people and growing their brand to include lots of video game internet coverage. to improve red vs. blue they hired monty oum, an animator most well known for taking models from video games and creating slash fiction slap fights between characters from different franchises. rwby is an effort by rooster teeth to create an original work that monty oum is leading up that happens to be some weird take on magical girls/harry potter/who cares.

firehawk12

Subete no aware
I'm not sure if Erigu is, haven't seen evidence of it.

Of those tourists shown, probably the vast majority came because of the series as there was an increase of 48,3% in the number of visitors from Japan the following year of its airing... many brought with them albums of printed freeze frames of the series' backgrounds to ask 'in situ' for the monuments featured on them, and in the same year of its emission the city council had to edit and release a paper guide for tourists in Japanese to cope with the demand.

And my comment was tongue-in-cheek, really, Cuenca (as in the urban zone) is pretty small... it's true, there is no way to spin it otherwise! ;-)
Well, that report had girls and old people and, as much as I like Sora no Woto, that just doesn't seem like the audience for the show. But what do I know. lol

I must admit, between Cuenca and Venice... It'd be a toss up between which I'd want to visit if I were to ever make an anime-related trip. Maybe the winner would be the B&B from Kiniro Mosaic. lol
Cuenca does look pretty though, and probably less crowded and expensive than Venice.

---

Laws of Genshiken:
ffkMkp7l.png

How many of you can confidently say this without lying!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom