• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Summer 2013 Anime |OT3| only manly sports allowed

Status
Not open for further replies.

jediyoshi

I wonder what they will even continue with in Tamako Market. The plotline was effectively resolved.

Choi hooks up with prince, mochi hooks up with tamako, shiori gets more air time. It's like they practically, deliberately
left Dera behind at the end
just so there'd still be something tying both places together.

Or they could turn it into a kanna/choi buddy cop spin off.

/XX/

I wonder what they will even continue with in Tamako Market. The plotline was effectively resolved.
That's better, because maybe now we can get a look into the happenings of the market residents in a slice-of-life manner. That cast and their interactions seemed, in my opinion, to be one of the things most interesting of the series and something I found disappointing we didn't get a better focus on!

Jintor

Kids on the Slope 11

It took three mini-arcs worth of bullshit drama but we're finally down to some good feel-happy jazz! \o/

Ritsuko's VA doesn't have bad english lol

Okay now for some duraaaama that will disrupt the good times i bet

/edit WHELP I WAS RIGHT

Lurky

silly Lurky. It was obvious from the very start how the show would end up. I am kinda amazed Kyousuke would pass up awesomeness like Kuroneko or Ayase in favor of the dumb angry bitch, but thats how it goes.

I knew it would happen but I didn't want to believe. Kuroneko was just too awesome for me to give up hope.

Jintor

What? But... why was Sachiko... what

/edit man, I don't get any of this really. Like, life sucks and bad things happen, sure, I get that. And it... makes a kind of dramatic story sense. But at the same time, it kind of just comes out of nowhere at the last minute to punch out a bunch of emotions.

Ah, I don't know. Well, on to the finale I guess.

BluWacky

What? But... why was Sachiko... what

/edit man, I don't get any of this really. Like, life sucks and bad things happen, sure, I get that. And it... makes a kind of dramatic story sense. But at the same time, it kind of just comes out of nowhere at the last minute to punch out a bunch of emotions.

Ah, I don't know. Well, on to the finale I guess.

Stuff happens without warning. It's only in books/on stage/on screen that Chekhov's Gun really comes into play.

With that said, KotS is so massively compressed to fit into its short run that it can feel like you're being blindsided by unexpected drama.

Jintor

Kids on the Slope 12 - END-

Kaoru's relentless self-destructive behaviour is grating, but at least he recognises it's going on. Even if he's... somewhat powerless to stop it.

The scene in Ritsu's room was incredibly powerful and well-directed. Expert use of sound (or lack thereof) and camerawork.

So, basically: how we got here is needlessly and shittily contrived, but what's actually occurring is delievered in a really quite powerful and poignant fashion.

Also apparently all the preview images were from the first half of the episode, which bodes well.

//edit WOAH
TIMESKIP

WOAH MAJOR TIMESKIP

Jesus. Wasn't expecting this at all.

Well, that's Kids on the Slope I guess. Every time it flags they just toss in the jazz and everything gets better again. I mean, seriously. All this rotoscoped instrument playing. It's like animation fanservice for us music-makers out there.

PS fuck you Crunchyroll. Even on 720p it can't keep a decent connection to watch this without mysteriously and pointlessly stopping and buffering every minute after about halfway. Seriously among the worst video players I've ever had to use. The android app is shit, too. You can't skip ahead before the buffer without the damn thing hanging and crashing, and the buffer doesn't even display where it's actually up to - you need to scrub manually to get to that point. No error message, nothing. You try and go legit and you get a worse experience than if you'd just taken the thing off the net! What the fuck. Novid redeemed.

Railgun 22
This filler arc is so boring. Of all the people in this crazy setting they could have chosen to base a bunch of episodes around, why did they have to choose
dull disgruntled scientists
?

sonicmj1

Aoi Bungaku - In the Woods Beneath the Cherry Blossoms in Full Bloom 1

This was really interesting. It could hardly be more different from the story that came before it, both in tone and in style.

The introduction narrator places this story in context. Written immediately after the war, Ango Sakaguchi called for the Japanese people to make a break with their suffocating traditions of respect and humility that had led them obediently down the path to conquest. This story, "In the Woods Beneath the Cherry Blossoms in Full Bloom," is a way of explicating those ideas, partially by subverting the placid, beautiful image of the sakura that had flourished in Japan for generations. Our animated adaptation wastes no time in foreshadowing how that subversion will take place.

ibi7wreuWqW5n0.jpg

I'm not sure what it's trying to tell us, though.

Our director for this tale is everyone's favorite anime maestro, Attack on Titan's Tetsuro Araki. While the director of "No Longer Human", Morio Asaka, tends towards naturalism, Araki loves melodrama. No flourish is too big, no zoom-in too intense, no cry of anguish too loud. With character design duties taken by Bleach mangaka Kubo Tite, Araki turns this dark fairy tale on its head, into a brazen farce. I haven't seen Michael Bay's "Pain and Gain", but I imagine it might be something like this.

ibgUkb4FqYkCSN.jpg

Our protagonist is so frightened, the camera doesn't just tilt; it turns upside down as he runs away. As we'd expect from the master, Araki.

The camera swoops and soars as it follows chases. The main character, grizzled mountain bandit Shigemaru, runs screaming in fright from a blooming cherry tree. Kubo goes all out in designing a varied harem for our protagonist, including a ditsy kid in glasses and a blond American speaking English. The boar he catches can talk. It seems anime as hell... until Shigemaru encounters a beautiful maiden traveling from the city. And as the blood begins to flow and the mood turns grim, Araki follows his most theatrical instincts.

iboyaoO5QY0nnL.jpg
ibhyuBmkV57WX9.jpg

ibrWUCj0j5AnkQ.jpg

Yes, Shigemaru wears a fur hoodie and listens to music on iPod earbuds. Kubo's anachronisms make this story's twists feel even more unexpected.

As an allegorical story so far, it feels like Sakaguchi applied Nietzsche's "Geneaology of Morals" to traditional Japan. The noble, primitive man, doing as he likes to fulfill his own desires, is subsumed by the will of modern civilization, living for the whim of another's weakness, denying himself for a taste of the divine. I'm not sure how it'll end. Probably badly for him.

As a work of animation, this is Araki at his most inventive, and it's pretty fascinating to watch. His brand of melodrama can be fun in an environment that seems to accommodate it, but he's so much more interesting to watch working in a story that forces him to get creative in order to hit the emotional notes he wants. Death Note felt like that to me, and this kind of subverted traditional folktale is even farther from what you'd traditionally expect. It's great.

ibt9iOpeXYCdl7.jpg

While Anno was content to use the same "classical music over suffering" trick over and over in Rebuild, Araki looked for new ways to fuck with the audience as innocent people died. What better method than the medium of the stage musical?

It's hard to compare to "No Longer Human", but this is far more fun to watch.

Railgun 22
This filler arc is so boring. Of all the people in this crazy setting they could have chosen to base a bunch of episodes around, why did they have to choose
dull disgruntled scientists
?

Because railgun exist only to show everyone how messed-up every scientist in academy city is aside from 2 people ?

Expect every filler to be either that or saten being saten...

BluWacky

Aoi Bungaku - In the Woods Beneath the Cherry Blossoms in Full Bloom 1

Thanks for the fascinating review and your continuing run of Aoi Bungaku posts. I've only watched the Run Melos episodes so far but I am now much more curious about the rest of the series (which for some reason I have in my head as being not very good).

Narag

Aoi Bungaku looks so neat.

Thanks for the fascinating review and your continuing run of Aoi Bungaku posts. I've only watched the Run Melos episodes so far but I am now much more curious about the rest of the series (which for some reason I have in my head as being not very good).

Is there a reason Run Melos gets constant treatment in anime?

BluWacky

Is there a reason Run Melos gets constant treatment in anime?

Wiki tells me it's a set book in Japanese schools, but I have no way of verifying this claim. I guess it's short and by a famous author which helps.

Worth noting, of course, that Aoi Bungaku's adaptation of Run Melos is incredibly meta; it's not like the earlier anime version at all.

Majestic Prince Episode 23 – Alea Iacta Est
tumblr_mt1fynkx8K1scr8d9o4_500.gif
tumblr_mt1fynkx8K1scr8d9o3_500.gif

I want a Red5 so much and everyone had such good artillery. First thirteen minutes went by so slow but then things really picked up all over. Good episode and good prelude to the conclusion. Still they have to have something more after this though
unless it will end in a total peaceful resolution between everyone, otherwise just ending because the gate is destroyed is a bit too low key and kind of dull, especially with the Wulguru not really changing their viewpoint and scheme of targeting worlds to take their genes, etc not being addressed.

hipbabboom

Huh? What did I say? Did I screw up again? :(
Sorry in advance for the random "whys."

Fate Prisma 10

While watching the beginning of this, I thought about how things are translated for English-sub viewers (a.k.a. Me). First let me say that I don't claim to know Japanese nor have I had the opportunity to flunk out of formal education in which case I would have claimed expert-level insight into the language
[sarcasm]

So take the sentence "You are my very important friend" but the why it in Japanese with a literal word-for-word translation (as I hear it... mind you... I'm full of shit so take it with an ocean of salt) is, as the translator properly translated, "To me, toy are a very important friend". I guess this was in order to preserve the dramatic tension incase the character speaking at the last second decided to flip the script with something like "To me, you are such a slut" or something to that effect.

Personally, I like this manner of translation but I don't see it too often and you can forget hearing it in dubs; they'd sooner just drop the audio all together than preserve the flow of the dialog. Would Japanese sound too much like Yoda-speak if this was done more often?

Am I alone in this?
Do you think language loses meaning if not artistically reworked during translation?
What should I review next week?
This is Anthony Fantano. Language... forever.

Sorry :( I don't know what happened there at the end. It felt oddly inappropriate so I did it o_O

hipbabboom

Huh? What did I say? Did I screw up again? :(
Majestic Prince Episode 23 – Alea Iacta Est
*pewpewblades.gif*

I want a Red5 so much and everyone had such good artillery. First thirteen minutes went by so slow but then things really picked up all over. Good episode and good prelude to the conclusion. Still they have to have something more after this though
unless it will end in a total peaceful resolution between everyone, otherwise just ending because the gate is destroyed is a bit too low key and kind of dull, especially with the Wulguru not really changing their viewpoint and scheme of targeting worlds to take their genes, etc not being addressed.

These look like Gundam characters so its FOR CERTAIN at least 2 main characters will die.
If they explain what you mentioned at the end of your post before this series ends, I will be pleasantly suppressed.

sonicmj1

Wiki tells me it's a set book in Japanese schools, but I have no way of verifying this claim. I guess it's short and by a famous author which helps.

Worth noting, of course, that Aoi Bungaku's adaptation of Run Melos is incredibly meta; it's not like the earlier anime version at all.

I know that the eighth-graders I teach read Run Melos for school last year. So there's some anecdotal support, whatever that's worth.

These look like Gundam characters so its FOR CERTAIN at least 2 main characters will die.
If they explain what you mentioned at the end of your post before this series ends, I will be pleasantly suppressed.

How do you define main character?
I doubt any of the 4 main pilots die, maybe one at most.

Defuser

A Tamako market season 2? Will Mochizou ever get out of the friendzone? Will Midori ever get out of the friendzone? Will Tamako ever realized how clueless she is?

Tenumi

Banned
Yes! Pretty Cure 5: 11

I like this season. It feels 'simpler' than the other seasons I've watched, but its just as, if not more entertaining to watch. Also, Fairy/Human romance? Well....

cnet128

Banned
obvious conclusion: Mochizu x Midori ^_^ Tamako to remain clueless.

That should be "blissfully clueless" I think, because being Tamako is happiness.

I can definitely get behind this idea though. The scenes in the first series of Mochizou and Midori awkwardly bonding over their shared interest in Tamako were adorable to the max.

Yes! Pretty Cure 5: 11

I like this season. It feels 'simpler' than the other seasons I've watched, but its just as, if not more entertaining to watch. Also, Fairy/Human romance? Well....

Nozomi x Coco is love.

(Also, why are you acting surprised considering how they met in the first episode? =p)

fertygo

Run Melos was my favorite in Aoi Bungaku, the one before it (the one hour special iirc) was pretty good too..

cajunator

Banned
I knew it would happen but I didn't want to believe. Kuroneko was just too awesome for me to give up hope.

While thats very true, it was written right into the title what fate would befall the side characters Im afraid. No matter what the optimists wanted to think.

Sorry in advance for the random "whys."

Fate Prisma 10

While watching the beginning of this, I thought about how things are translated for English-sub viewers (a.k.a. Me). First let me say that I don't claim to know Japanese nor have I had the opportunity to flunk out of formal education in which case I would have claimed expert-level insight into the language
[sarcasm]

So take the sentence "You are my very important friend" but the why it in Japanese with a literal word-for-word translation (as I hear it... mind you... I'm full of shit so take it with an ocean of salt) is, as the translator properly translated, "To me, toy are a very important friend". I guess this was in order to preserve the dramatic tension incase the character speaking at the last second decided to flip the script with something like "To me, you are such a slut" or something to that effect.

Personally, I like this manner of translation but I don't see it too often and you can forget hearing it in dubs; they'd sooner just drop the audio all together than preserve the flow of the dialog. Would Japanese sound too much like Yoda-speak if this was done more often?

Am I alone in this?
Do you think language loses meaning if not artistically reworked during translation?
What should I review next week?
This is Anthony Fantano. Language... forever.

Sorry :( I don't know what happened there at the end. It felt oddly inappropriate so I did it o_O

I dont like literal translations, because Im not Japanese. what makes sense in one language must be carefully reworked with english meanings and structure to make sense for english speakers. This misses some of the japanese nuances, and thus some in-jokes and subtleties that only a direct translation could present, but those instances are rare and normally have some sort of english equivalent that can get the message across. It is challenging to do within the context of dialogue, but possible with a skilled translation crew/dubbers. Only lazy translators or stubborn purists will simply translate word for word, and that is against the whole point of a translation in the first place.
Im reminded of hos disney translated a phrase in Princess Mononoke. When the monk says "this soup tastes like water" thats a direct affront to the soup quality. but to an american it doesnt mean anything really. To convey the monks displeasure with the soup it was translated to "this soup tastes like donkey piss" so american audience understood that the soup was awful. small changes like that can often bridge the cultural gaps and help the english audience understand whats meant more than a direct translation does.

Just a wild guess lol. Nymph was pretty cute though. I must admit that.

s0yf.jpg

Yeah I guess its obvious cause she is very :cajun. Nymph is a funny, adorable brat.

Narag

Gifu Dodo!! Kanetsugu & Keiji 11

JCodHGNl.jpg

Best secret bromance of the season.

CvvnPM4l.jpg

When writing and art doesn't quite intersect?

NARjjkYl.jpg

And for Sengokubros keeps score at home. One day I'd like to make some huge chart of the different designs of characters in these various shows. Like that one that had all the girl Nobunaga shows with Sengoku Basara but more complete.

Nothing but posturing this episode and it was so damn manly. I do think I'm missing out on a tiny bit of intrigue though seeing as I'm not entirely knowledgeable on the status of top knots during this time but I think I'm filling in the blanks well enough.
I think I get why Keiji becomes a monk now too lol

Theonik

Strike Witches 2 02
Oh so the events of the start of the first episode were actually in median res, and the events from the second half of that episode lead up to them in this episode. As a result this means that part of the footage this episode is also re-used but it doesn't really hurt it imo.
Some nice :SDBurton this episode too. Really warming up to Mio x Miyafuji. Though Suomus x Orussia still remains the OTP of sorts. Naturally the episode ends with the team being assembled once more finally!
Still nothing too special but, this will probably change with these introductory episodes out of the way. The battle was cool anyway.
Dat Mio.

A very respectable albeit partially recycled amount of [REDACTED]

Strike Witches 2 02

Oh so the events of the start of the first episode were actually in median res, and the events from the second half of that episode lead up to them in this episode. As a result this means that part of the footage this episode is also re-used but it doesn't really hurt it imo.
Some nice :SDBurton this episode too. Really warming up to Mio x Miyafuji. Though Suomus x Orussia still remains the OTP of sorts. Naturally the episode ends with the team being assembled once more finally!
Still nothing too special but, this will probably change with these introductory episodes out of the way.

A very respectable albeit partially recycled amount of [REDACTED]

It gets back into the swing of things immediately after episode 2, there's lots of Perinne next episode~

Also Mio's white swimsuit is DA BES.

Nafe

Free! - Iwatobi Swim Club

Episode 10

When hearing younger Rin talk to start with I thought your voice is really, REALLY familiar. After it was, Oh, you're being voiced by your sister Gou! That's why!

A few of the female seiyuu are doing a couple characters. Satsuki Yukino is doing the voice of Ama-chan, the guys teacher and club adviser, (which also had an entertaining bit about her past this episode), as well as doing the voice for younger Makoto. Satomi Satou does the voice for younger Nagisa as well as Gou's friend Hana-something. That's at least three KyoAni shows she's been in now then.
I wasn't sure who the girl was doing the voice for younger Haru though. I don't know if I've watched any of the other shows she's been in or it was a bit part and I can't remember it.

It's kind of funny watching this and Gatchaman Crowds in the same season as Mamoru Miyano is doing the voice for older Rin in Free! and his character is kind of moody and super serious, where in Crowds he's doing the voice for Berg Katze who's this really hyper super spaz of a character. I wonder what the recording sessions are like there,haha.

Along with that reveal about Ama-chan, the next best part was that overdone Engrish next episode preview. That was pretty funny. With it being Mamoru Miyano again, I couldn't help but think of his role as Okabe in Steins;Gate and the line "I am mado scientist. It's so cool." Haha.

Day Break Illusion Episode 11
tumblr_mt4kkriPUW1qbxqfpo2_500.png

Cerebrum telling Seira the harsh truth was intense, really memorable scene. Though on Cerebrum
did the Leguzario scene imply that the leader is working with Cerebrum as well. Kind of makes it seem like the subordinates are all being deceived. Also was hoping so hard that Akari would say yes to Cerebrum.

Theonik

It gets back into the swing of things immediately after episode 2, there's lots of Perinne next episode~

Also Mio's white swimsuit is DA BES.
Mio's white swimsuit is indeed the best!
And I sort of figured considering a certain scene I remember seeing that got me to watch SW in the first place, that is on the next episode iirc.

Shard

XBLAnnoyance
Genei wo Kakeru Taiyou/Day Break Illusion Episode 11: Well, certainly a better episode then the last couple of weeks, though this series isn't very good.
Indeed, shock upon shock The Leguzario turned out to be not only evil but maybe, kind of in league with Cerebrum. It is kind of obvious since we know there are other Tarot Users and yet The Leguzario doesn't seem to concerned with the fact that CEREBRM DESTROYED AN ENTIRE BRANCH AND AS RENDERED MOST OF THE HEROES USELESS, SERIOUSLY, WHY ELSE WOULD YOU NOT BE SENDING IN YOUR MYSTICAL ARMY TO PUT DOWN THIS ASSHOLE???? Yea, not shocked to see Cerebrum winning since he is the only one here with more the two brain cells.

faridmon

Gatchman ep1

Sucked. Dropped it.

Eccentric Family ep1

Sucked. Dropped it.

I think I'll stick with Love Lab, Watamote, HxH and Shingeki no Kyojin

Day Break Illusion 11

This had to be the most cliche filled episode of the entire season, yeah I said season not series. I dunno which was worse
Seira deciding not to kill Luna only to get attacked by her in the morning
or
The main character being the child of a tarot users and a daemonia

Theonik said:
Ojamajo Doremi 24

And I guess that's the end of that.
They could have ended it sooner if they just asked for the mahou dou in the first place but I suppose the battle was a better way to end it.
So it happens now too. I was spoiled about this from the Umakoshi artbook but...
Ojamajo Pop!

This artbook is gorgeous! I love Onpu-chan smug face.

Now back to MH4!

*By fuck I'm mean love.

ohaio gosaimasu. Not sure if I'll post here much but I wanted to give a shout out to Brandy "The Ban Man" Branduil and Hosanna "Jazz Hands" Excelsior for promoting Rozen Maiden since I'm watching that and its turning out good! Much love

cajunator

Banned
Gatchman ep1

Sucked. Dropped it.

Eccentric Family ep1

Sucked. Dropped it.

I think I'll stick with Love Lab, Watamote, HxH and Shingeki no Kyojin

Disappointing to see you dropping two series that have a decent reception, but understandable. Hajime is a bit genki for some people. Eccentric family, well that also has its audience.
Otherwise, those shows are nice choices.

faridmon

You sucked.

j/k, at least watch eps 2 first.

Don't know man. That first Episode was weird, almost too pretentious with its cross dressing, family feud, animal transformation and people who are scared of a woman who is a femdom and being worshipped by that dude, and all of those elements are introduced without any context, explanation or any kind logical story progression.

I know its 1 episode, but again, the whole thing didn't feel coherent.

Disappointing to see you dropping two series that have a decent reception, but understandable. Hajime is a bit genki for some people. Eccentric family, well that also has its audience.
Otherwise, those shows are nice choices.

Those characters really annoyed the hell out of me. Gatchman that is.

Shard

XBLAnnoyance
Day Break Illusion 11

This had to be the most cliche filled episode of the entire season, yeah I said season not series. I dunno which was worse
Seira deciding not to kill Luna only to get attacked by her in the morning
or
The main character being the child of a tarot users and a daemonia

I am still trying to figure out why Etia and Ariel are so god damned useless, did they lose their powers, why are they not on the front lines at this point?

I am still trying to figure out why Etia and Ariel are so god damned useless, did they lose their powers, why are they not on the front lines at this point?

Better yet for a series about tarot card users we haven't even seen half of them

With those charcters? yikes, no.

GATCH, GATCH, GATCH, GATCH, GATCH, GATCH, GATCH, GATCH, GATCH, GATCH, GATCH, GATCH,

SHUT UP!!!!

Those characters are what make it so great

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom