• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Summer 2013 Anime |OT3| only manly sports allowed

Status
Not open for further replies.

cajunator

Banned
So I was thinking about the blazblue anime and the likelihood of Makoto being in it with her fuwafuwa tail and I want to nuzzle her tail and squee.
I guess im saying I look forward to the show.

LordCanti

Monogatari Letdown #2

Eleven episodes in and there have been two recap episodes; What in the actual fuck is going on over there? Will they go an additional two episodes to compensate, or is this the classic "Oh shit we're out of time..better throw up a recap episode"?

MIaZASA.gif

Edit: Skipped through it...it mentions a THIRD recap episode. Fuuuuuuckkk youuuuuuuuuuuu Shafffffffffffffffttttttttttttttttttt.

Doubly so if it's next week. Regain your based status as quickly as you possibly can.

Edit 2: Saw the promo for the next arc; So they're doing a recap after every single arc? Why? Who thought this was a good idea? Bahhh. At least they've split them up...I guess...

So I was thinking about the blazblue anime and the likelihood of Makoto being in it with her fuwafuwa tail and I want to nuzzle her tail and squee.
I guess im saying I look forward to the show.

I too am looking forward to her appearance, as her fuwafuwa tail is impressive and I want to stick my face in it.

Also her lewd outfit is super interesting.

hipbabboom

Huh? What did I say? Did I screw up again? :(
I dont like literal translations, because Im not Japanese. what makes sense in one language must be carefully reworked with english meanings and structure to make sense for english speakers. This misses some of the japanese nuances, and thus some in-jokes and subtleties that only a direct translation could present, but those instances are rare and normally have some sort of english equivalent that can get the message across. It is challenging to do within the context of dialogue, but possible with a skilled translation crew/dubbers. Only lazy translators or stubborn purists will simply translate word for word, and that is against the whole point of a translation in the first place.

It really is an art. I'm often reminded about even a simple error in dry emotionless international news items can undermine a message. Even our close neigbors (the gaming side) risk drawn-out arguments and bans to argue over the semantics of a Germen article run through Google translator. Amazingly enough, even these technical messages are much easier to understand when taken off of the hands of the Googles and Fox Newses of the world and placed in the hands of a skilled translator. It definitely makes the argument against either extreme if a literal (mechanical) translation and someone who takes liberties without context and introduces pure inaccuracies.

I often find that I have a secondary language toolset that I had to develop to be able to enjoy anime and that's a familiarity with human expression. It's one of those things that's a little more abstract and intuitive than structured language. It's what helps us understand inflection in speech and in the hands of master animators, we can use it to tell character emotion from facial expression and body langue. It has to be developed with some level of cultural awareness though similar to the rules of spoken language but just not as in-depth. I think good translators are experts at this and take them into account when writing a subbed or directing a dubbed line.

Im reminded of hos disney translated a phrase in Princess Mononoke. When the monk says "this soup tastes like water" thats a direct affront to the soup quality. but to an american it doesnt mean anything really. To convey the monks displeasure with the soup it was translated to "this soup tastes like donkey piss" so american audience understood that the soup was awful. small changes like that can often bridge the cultural gaps and help the english audience understand whats meant more than a direct translat

I didn't know this since I never watched the Japanese version of the movie. Being one of the best voice work I've ever heard in an anime dub, I felt satisfied (i.e. I didn't cringe). Interestingly enough, It feels, to me at least, that an implication effect happened there where a simple simile was taken and turned into a hyperbole. I could totally be off base but it sounds like comparing soup to water was calling it "bland" but comparing soup to donkey piss feels more like saying its inedible. If the character where to then (I don't recall the scene) spit it out or throw the bowl down then I would totally get the need to accentuate the translation with the action.

CorvoSol

Turn A Gundam 49

CORRIN NANDER SAW THE WING ZERO WITH HIS OWN EYES. This would be useful in gauging how old he is if, you know, THAT DIDN'T HAPPEN IN A COMPLETELY DIFFERENT TIMELINE. Oh, and the Turn A Gundam and Turn X Gundam have Psycommu systems. I already knew Loran was a Newtype from that weird scene back in Adeska, but Gym . . . dude had some kind of demon eyes I haven't seen since Haman Khan and Judau Ashta first stared one another down. Fraking crazy. Oh, and Joseph is a doof who should've let Loran pilot the Gundam from the get go. Anyway, things are now moving to the final battle.

MOONLIGHT DEEEEEEESTINY. Er, Butterfly.

Narag

Turn A Gundam 49

CORRIN NANDER SAW THE WING ZERO WITH HIS OWN EYES. This would be useful in gauging how old he is if, you know, THAT DIDN'T HAPPEN IN A COMPLETELY DIFFERENT TIMELINE.

MOONLIGHT DEEEEEEESTINY. Er, Butterfly.

IIRC the mplication there is it's all one timeline that's been reset multiple times by things.

CorvoSol

IIRC the mplication there is it's all one timeline that's been reset multiple times by things.

Well you, see,
When Frau Bow played the Zaku of Time at the end of Zeta Gundam it created several split timelines. In the one where she turned Amuro into a bigger douche Wing happened. In the one where she made everything so damn awesome G happened. In the one where I dunno X happened. In the one where her yaoi fanfiction with self-insert oc do not steal almost happened, SEED happened. In the one where she kinda missed the point of FMP, 00 happened. AGE didn't happen. FUCK AGE.

Syrinx

Ojamajo Doremi # 5

Oh God I hope Oyajide returns just so Hana can see him again.

Still, felt like they remembered that this Cursed Card arc was there and just had all of the five remaining ones in the bell at the academy just so they didn't have to continue the arc any further. Shame, cause this time they didn't make it obvious from the very beginning what the cursed item was, though I had a hunch.

Ojamajo Doremi # 5

Oh God I hope Oyajide returns just so Hana can see him again.

Still, felt like they remembered that this Cursed Card arc was there and just had all of the five remaining ones in the bell at the academy just so they didn't have to continue the arc any further. Shame, cause this time they didn't make it obvious from the very beginning what the cursed item was, though I had a hunch.

Wish granted.

Cwarrior

you know... i really do wish there was more dbz... you just don't see this kinda of shit in 2013 shounen.

iq6yYfvHSPb8E.gif

Do you mean the animation? if you do then the magic of Naotoshi Shida has never left us since the 80s(veteran toei key animator who animated that scene in your gif).

Naotoshi shida scene in dragon ball goku vs krillen

His style just changed around the start of thriller bark arc in one piece.

naotoshi sakuga video

his most recent work was on this weeks episode of one piece 611 in the smoker vs
vergo fight
short cut I hear but his planing to do long one in a few episodes, he also did the op movie strong world flying fight between luffy & shiki.

Goku, Luffy & Toriko team up sakuga

firehawk12

Subete no aware
I'm still trying to figure out what would qualify as hentai that I wouldn't be embarrassed to show anywhere. Cream Lemon's pretty classy I guess, but I still wouldn't show it to my mom.
In the context of this particular Genshiken episode, apparently BDSM is "too far". lol

hipbabboom

Huh? What did I say? Did I screw up again? :(
Catharsis don't work unless you suffer first.

That's just it though. It wasn't enough. I honestly wished I never watched it. I honestly have never wished this with any other anime and I've watched a lot of awful series (that I didn't enjoy over all or for the most part). Knowing that I made it five episodes in (before skipping to the ending months after I stopped just to try to experience that catharsis which didn't help) is a shame I live with till this day.

Chuck

Still without luck
For what it's worth, I still use mine.

add me, my name is Chuck. I'm just getting all my numbers in order to add

I didn't. Its just updating for me is a pain in the ass since it's laggy (what with my computer hating how its set up), so I only really update once a week now.

That's fine, but some people haven't updated in months. What they need is a mobile app which makes it super easy to update..

Dragon Ball Z: Battle of Gods

So I thoroughly enjoyed this movie.

Every thing just felt so fun and lighthearted. Even during the serious moments with Bills wanting planning to destroy Earth, that feeling never really left me.

The movie itself did a incredibly great job of portraying the new characters, Bills and Whis. Both had their own unique personality and had their genuine funny moments, which is a nice change from the usual norm of a DBZ villain (even if they're not really villains), making me quite the fan of the two. I still detest that Bills looks like a purple, emaciated cat but that's a minor complaint now.

The action scenes were both great and disappointing. I'm a huge sucker for when the music picks up dramatically during a battle, so that moment really kicked the fight up a notch. The end of the battle itself was really satisfying; seeing Goku lose was a nice change of pace and Bills revealing himself not to have use all his power, even admitting to being weaker than Whis, was a good moment. Sadly, the use of CGI was legit shit. Really hope the next DBZ movie stays far away from it.

On a more personal level, I loved that the mythos of DBZ has expanded. Would very much like to hope that they don't squander this opportunity now with the existence of the other Gods of Destruction. SSJG still looks incredibly lame, even if I am a fan of Kaoi-Ken. Absolutely hate GT, but Toriyama should have taken some cue's from SSJ4, since that form actually looks impressive.

Also, I'm really happy to see Vegata actually having an awesome moment against Bills, which didn't consist of him jobbing (that hard). His dance routine was easily one of the best moments of the film as well. And on a smaller note, I might be shipping Trunks x Mai now. Don't care how wrong it seems because of the age thing, those scenes with the two of them together were really cute.

8/10. Would place it below Wrath of Dragon, but alongside or slightly higher than Broly and Fusion Reborn, as one of the better DBZ movies.

add me, my name is Chuck. I'm just getting all my numbers in order to add

That's fine, but some people haven't updated in months. What they need is a mobile app which makes it super easy to update..

Either that or just an application for me to update without having to go to the site like MAL. Probably the main reason I still update on MAL since it takes no extra effort

CorvoSol

Turn A Gundam 50 and Final

Holy crap, man. Where does one begin? This was a wonderful, lovely Gundam series, and most certainly one I have enjoyed every step of the way. Before that, though, the final episode.

So much sexy Gundam on Gundam action. The final battle in this show really, really delivered. So good. Butterfly wings and beam sabers EVERYWHERE. Glorious. Lily Borjano delivered the greatest put-down to Guin ever with her " 'Laura' is a BOY, you know. If you really love HIM so much, maybe YOU should put a skirt on!" and of course, after Guin tries to slick out of it with "the ones in skirts will someday rule the world" she adds "Since I'm in a skirt today, you won't mind leaving Ameria to me, will you?" GOT DAYUM, SON.

SOCHIE GOT FUCKING ROBBED. Like seriously, Loran gets the Queen he's wanted (but apparently is not yet sleeping with), Dianna got Loran, Kihel got the entire Lunar Kingdom and Harry, Harry got Kihel, Miasshei got dude introduced in the last ten seconds, Fran and Joseph had a babby, Keith and Baker's daughter, too, and what about Sochie?

Let me tell you about Sochie Heim. Her father is dead. She had no real revenge. The man she was going to marry died. In a nuclear holocaust. The other man she's had feelings for the entire series kisses her, then leaves to fuck her sister's identical not twin for the rest of his life. Hell, even her MECH is gone. Sochie got NOTHING. What the fuck, Tomino? How you do this?

In any case, the series really was quite wonderful and definitely a new favorite Gundam and mecha anime in general. The setting, the music, the characters, the lore and the unusual mechanical designs really make Turn A Gundam a thing of its own, and it is quite the wonderful experience. I love the Civil War era styles, the harvest themed sound-track, Loran and Dianna are to me what I suppose Kira and Lacus are to thirteen year old Japanese kids who are polled in Newtype magazine. Beyond them, though, the cast just really has some great characters. And the mechs. The mecha are all weird and geometric, but that same angular and curved geometry is what really makes them stand out and gives them their own appeal.

It's been a lovely, wonderful ride and I'm glad I went on it.

Hyperdimension Neptunia The animation - 10

This was actually very nice way to end this arc .
Hyperdimension%20Neptunia%20The%20Animation%20-%2010.jpg

Trully the best character when it comes to move other characters around.

Despite some light shortcomings i liked this arc more than i thought i would.

R-18 island was unexpected ... the finale too .. but it was a good moment all around... i'm surprised that i cared.

Neptunia Anime is actually a very good game to anime adaptation...

Why did everyone abandon their Hummingbirds? :/

Still using it

Narag

Turn A Gundam 50 and Final
SOCHIE GOT FUCKING ROBBED. Like seriously, Loran gets the Queen he's wanted (but apparently is not yet sleeping with), Dianna got Loran, Kihel got the entire Lunar Kingdom and Harry, Harry got Kihel, Miasshei got dude introduced in the last ten seconds, Fran and Joseph had a babby, Keith and Baker's daughter, too, and what about Sochie?

Let me tell you about Sochie Heim. Her father is dead. She had no real revenge. The man she was going to marry died. In a nuclear holocaust. The other man she's had feelings for the entire series kisses her, then leaves to fuck her sister's identical not twin for the rest of his life. Hell, even her MECH is gone. Sochie got NOTHING. What the fuck, Tomino? How you do this?

It's crazy how the most optimistic Gundam ending I've seen is still the saddest given Sochie's end. Tsuki no Mayu playing while she's screaming on the bike? Gets me every fucking time.

CorvoSol

It's crazy how the most optimistic Gundam ending I've seen is still the saddest given Sochie's end. Tsuki no Mayu playing while she's screaming on the bike? Gets me every fucking time.

Cajun confirmed to hate Turn A till the end of time.

PaniPoni Dash 1

This first episode was sort of all over the place, more so than most Shaft comedies. I'm incredibly disappointed that the Miyukichi character with HAIR EARS and spats isn't part of the main cast, but I guess I'll stick with this for a while because Becky's adorable.

Narag

Hyouge Mono 7

Haven't watched one of these in a while. Seems like it's better directed than I recall. Ep lacked a lot of the silliness I'd seen earlier on as Nobunaga's eccentricity continues to alienate his followers.

I don't want to say the episode dragged either but it sure seemed dense enough to last a while.

firehawk12

Subete no aware
Hyouge Mono 7

Haven't watched one of these in a while. Seems like it's better directed than I recall. Ep lacked a lot of the silliness I'd seen earlier on as Nobunaga's eccentricity continues to alienate his followers.

I don't want to say the episode dragged either but it sure seemed dense enough to last a while.
I watched the last episode of this just because it was such a production on the "American side".

I wonder if madp ever finished it!

dimb

Bjergsen is the greatest midlane in the world
Love Live! School Idol Project Wrap-up

While idol culture can often feel exploitative and kind of gross Love Live! does an excellent job of feeling very earnest with its intentions. Even if what is trying to be achieved is often something very rudimentary (i.e. save the school, qualify for the contest, etc.) it sews a good-hearted philosophy into the series that shines through and binds the cast together. That cast is ultimately what carries the show, and each character manages to stand out and hold a presence without being overbearing and taking over scenes that they shouldn't.

Even with the group dynamic working well enough it seems like the show is at its best when it scales the scope down. The episodes that left the greatest impression were the ones that focused on a single character like Kotori and her life outside idol work as a maid. Having that stuff eventually intersect with singing/dancing felt the most natural, and it tended to create a space where the personalities of the characters could be expanded on in a way that let them distinguish themselves. After the assembly of the group Love Live! increasingly shied away from that in favor of sort of showcasing the whole cast, but stuff like the beach episode just felt really dry when it came to interactions between characters.

I wound up really enjoying how the goal posts were moved around regularly, and while I expected conflict late in the series to come from other school idol groups the show took me by surprise and held its shake ups to internal problems that let the series hone back in on specific characters.
Even if the ending is kind of emotionally overblown it feels a little more earned when its entirely between the idol group and not some mustache twirling loli idol villain from a rival group, though I guess that might be saved for season two. When their chance to get into the Love Live event is shut down it's just kind of straightforward and to the point, which the show is really good about. Those kind of events keep the absurdity of the show in check and create the appropriate boundaries that isolate the purpose of this season and the message of Love Live!

Top Three: Maki, Kotori, Umi
The Worst: That one girl with the cat characteristics.

firehawk12

Subete no aware
rip madp. You should watch the Blue Exorcist movie to coax him back. Or 200 episodes of Inu-Yasha.
Oh right, I keep forgetting about that movie. lol

we miss u madp if ur watching this from the beyond place please come back

btw I always associated u not with Precure but Sengoku Collection, which is a million times better
Man, that Bowling for Columbine parody... that was certainly out there.

Dresden

rozen maiden - 03

The worst thing about the show are the fugly backgrounds. Visually that's about the extent of my complaint, though - the show retains the same keen eye for interesting composition and layouts from the previous episodes.

The middle of the episode was difficult to watch, because I felt for the character and what he was going through, what he'd gone through; it's not difficult to empathize with his plight, even if the emotion elicited isn't necessarily pure pity. I'm fond of how the show frames his recovery as a stilted introspection of sorts, the advice and impetus coming from himself, but as a self removed from the present Jun Sakurada.

Chuckled at the end. Hope I can catch up before episode 12.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom