• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Summer 2013 Anime |OT3| only manly sports allowed

Status
Not open for further replies.

Haly

One day I realized that sadness is just another word for not enough coffee.
Why bother with people when you have anime?

Theonik

Anime isn't people, people are anime.
image.php

Haly

Are we going back to cluttering the thread with useless shit?

Westlo

Edit 2: Saw the promo for the next arc; So they're doing a recap after every single arc? Why? Who thought this was a good idea? Bahhh. At least they've split them up...I guess...

We're getting 4 recap episodes this season, one after every arc, SHAFT being SHAFT. And to think when Hana was pushed back a lot of fans where excited because it meant every novel getting adapted this season was going to get 5 episodes.... LOL @ that.

Hopefully Kizu finally comes out after this season and Oishi (Director for Bake & Kizu) takes over from Itamura (Director for Nise, Neko, Mono 2nd) for the final season. Which @ this stage is also going to need to be two cours, so more recaps in the future!

RurouniZel

Asks questions so Ezalc doesn't have to
So apparently I missed the news that Tamako Market is getting some sort of continuation (it just says "project" so that could mean anything) in the future.

This news pleases me.

Haly

Like complaint posts?

Seriously, spend two minutes for a frivolous exchange and you feel violated?

What gave you the impression that I didn't enjoy filling the thread with junk?

What gave you the impression that I didn't enjoy filling the thread with junk?

But you called that joking tangent 'useless shit'!! Come on dude this is like when Kanye says "I'm not sayin she's a gold digger" when of course he is. He named the song freaking "Gold Digger" after all. What else could he possibly be implying?

Do you mean the animation? if you do then the magic of Naotoshi Shida has never left us since the 80s(veteran toei key animator who animated that scene in your gif).

Naotoshi shida scene in dragon ball goku vs krillen

His style just changed around the start of thriller bark arc in one piece.

naotoshi sakuga video

his most recent work was on this weeks episode of one piece 611 in the smoker vs
vergo fight
short cut I hear but his planing to do long one in a few episodes, he also did the op movie strong world flying fight between luffy & shiki.

Goku, Luffy & Toriko team up sakuga

neat. it's not really an unique style that one can catch, but looks nice.

I just wish there was more shounen fighters that are... airborne. devil is part timer had some good ones too.

I just like people volleyballing people around :)

Hayate no Gotoku! Heaven is a Place on Earth

Q7V8yVn.jpg

So, first things first, woo, another animation studio change! This one is definitely more noticeable than the switch between the first two seasons especially since we're getting more gags and comedy now that wasn't seen in the first two seasons.

Another thing is the sudden disregard to anyone that hasn't read the manga yet. I guess the sudden introduction of characters never seen before and pretty much the setting. It's quite a stretch to go from the end of season two to this.

Well besides that, the movie was ok. The plot was ok, there was just not much urgency with it though. It just feels like stuff happens and yeah, sure, that's out it. This could be easily just a two partner episode of the regular show and it would just fit right in. It doesn't really look any prettier than the seasons before this and doesn't have the whole big movie feel. I mean it wasn't boring (since it was only 60ish minutes) but it wasn't all that funny either.

Quasar

A Town Where You Live #10 - I continue to enjoy this show quite a lot. Love the look of it, like the voice acting as well as the story and pace it has going. But the fact that I'm getting at best 13 episodes of a mammoth story-line that's into the hundreds of manga chapters really burns me. Yeah...its basically a big advert for the manga. Still I so wish given what I'm getting, that I could get at least a much bigger chunk of the manga in this nice anime form.

*grumble*

jbug617

Banned
Don't know if it was posted but Aniplex announced release dates for Oreshura and Vividred Operation. Both will be available 12/17
Oreshura

Product details
■Episode 1-13 on 3 DVDs
■Original Japanese Audio
■English Subtitles

Special Package & Bonus Materials
■Textless Opening
■Textless Endings
■Special Booklet
■O-Sleeve with Key Visual Art
■2-Sided Reversible Cover
Vividred Operation

Product details
■Episode 1-12 on 3 DVDs
■Original Japanese Audio
■English Subtitles

Special Package & Bonus Materials
■Textless Opening
■Textless Endings
■5 Postcard Set
■O-Sleeve with Key Visual Art
■2-Sided Reversible Cover
■Web Version Previews

Seraphis Cain

bad gameplay lol
Daybreak Illusion 11

Man. This episode just reminded me how much I hate the whole "naive hero who honestly thinks the villain will keep up their side of the bargain" thing. NEVER TRUST A VILLAIN YOU MORON(S).

Jex

Monogatari Letdown #2

Eleven episodes in and there have been two recap episodes; What in the actual fuck is going on over there? Will they go an additional two episodes to compensate, or is this the classic "Oh shit we're out of time..better throw up a recap episode"?

SHAFT needs to do as little work as possible, that's why. I'm sure it was part of their schedule from the beginning.

JCG

Is this why episode 2 has taken so long? Did they decide that episode 1 wasn't selling very well and this is how they're going to rectify it?

I'd say you're probably wrong on both counts. Sales were pretty good and the delay has been linked to the external studio in charge of the 3D working on other projects.

Apparently the character in question only has a small role in episode 2, and his presence is compatible with previously known information. It's unexpected but not too hard to explain away.

Of course, this will naturally multiply the hype for the next entries. Which is fine, but I can only hope they somehow manage to finish working on them within 2014.

Jex

Well you, see,
When Frau Bow played the Zaku of Time at the end of Zeta Gundam it created several split timelines. In the one where she turned Amuro into a bigger douche Wing happened. In the one where she made everything so damn awesome G happened. In the one where I dunno X happened. In the one where her yaoi fanfiction with self-insert oc do not steal almost happened, SEED happened. In the one where she kinda missed the point of FMP, 00 happened. AGE didn't happen. FUCK AGE.

And yet, some how
both timelines happened in the Turn A universe but no one knows how!
Turn A Gundam 50 and Final
So much sexy Gundam on Gundam action. The final battle in this show really, really delivered. So good. Butterfly wings and beam sabers EVERYWHERE. Glorious. Lily Borjano delivered the greatest put-down to Guin ever with her " 'Laura' is a BOY, you know. If you really love HIM so much, maybe YOU should put a skirt on!" and of course, after Guin tries to slick out of it with "the ones in skirts will someday rule the world" she adds "Since I'm in a skirt today, you won't mind leaving Ameria to me, will you?" GOT DAYUM, SON.

SOCHIE GOT FUCKING ROBBED. Like seriously, Loran gets the Queen he's wanted (but apparently is not yet sleeping with), Dianna got Loran, Kihel got the entire Lunar Kingdom and Harry, Harry got Kihel, Miasshei got dude introduced in the last ten seconds, Fran and Joseph had a babby, Keith and Baker's daughter, too, and what about Sochie?

Let me tell you about Sochie Heim. Her father is dead. She had no real revenge. The man she was going to marry died. In a nuclear holocaust. The other man she's had feelings for the entire series kisses her, then leaves to fuck her sister's identical not twin for the rest of his life. Hell, even her MECH is gone. Sochie got NOTHING. What the fuck, Tomino? How you do this?
If there's one thing we can take away form the series is that it really sucks to be Sochie.

LordCanti

We're getting 4 recap episodes this season, one after every arc, SHAFT being SHAFT. And to think when Hana was pushed back a lot of fans where excited because it meant every novel getting adapted this season was going to get 5 episodes.... LOL @ that.

Hopefully Kizu finally comes out after this season and Oishi (Director for Bake & Kizu) takes over from Itamura (Director for Nise, Neko, Mono 2nd) for the final season. Which @ this stage is also going to need to be two cours, so more recaps in the future!

Dejavuonogatari.

Was it known beforehand that they were going to do this? If not, they've got all the material written for them and all they have to really do is storyboard it and animate it. If they can't get that done on schedule and get it on the air week to week, something has gone sideways. If they planned to do it this way....whyyyy.

SHAFT needs to do as little work as possible, that's why. I'm sure it was part of their schedule from the beginning.

Being based is hard work dammit.

JCG

Turn A Gundam 50 and Final

Holy crap, man. Where does one begin? This was a wonderful, lovely Gundam series, and most certainly one I have enjoyed every step of the way.

It's been a lovely, wonderful ride and I'm glad I went on it.

And it still breaks my heart to know that such an excellent series is unlikely to get another shot at an official English language release anytime soon.

Dresden

rozen maiden - 04~05

Humor keeps things humming along as Jun's life continues to change for the better. Bookstore girl falls for him even harder, as Shinku looks on with suspicion or worry. And Suigintou makes her appearance at last, her quibbles with Shinku bookending one of the stronger scenes in the show - the flashback with Megu. It's told with an assured pace, limited to a rather small period of time, but as with the room in which this takes place - a small cell-like place, where the window dominates the framing - the direction makes good use of that limitation, showing and filling in the details without relying on narration.

I wonder if those petals Shinku produces are edible.

LordCanti

Genshiken Nidaime 11

It's obvious to me now; Madarame has to
kill Kousaka

Dragonball Z Battle of the Gods

At first it was like

MEcX6AG.gif
-SAMAAAAAAAAA

and then I was all

ZZZzzzzZZZZZZZzzzzzzzzzZZZZZZ

Dresden

rozen maiden - 06

That shower battle was so good. I chuckled heartily as fuck, yo.

The manager's jackass commentary cut Jun deep - it's not entirely true, but it's not entirely false either, and the bit of truth it has lends it the kind of credence that makes it impossible to ignore. It's an episode where the possible changes he was so looking forward to didn't pan out the way he'd wanted (the theater, his own doll), and it ends with him forcibly carving away to craft a new future for himself.

---

rozen maiden - 07

As sad as Jun's breakdown was, it had a cathartic feel to it, the way it winds back to the flashback of his middle school trauma and how that loop is resolved in the end with a phonecall from his sister. He's a different character than the mook in episode two, and even as he struggles with his self-esteem issues and depression, the feeling is that of hope, that he'll find a way out. Another strong episode - there's a feeling of impending doom, although it's one that runs counter to the personal revelations regarding his character, relating instead to a more existential plight than an emotional one. Even the bgm in the introduction and beyond had the feel of a dirge to it, and this continues to the end with the pit of accumulated desktops that the Jun-who-wound-the-key finds himself in.

Also Kanaria is moe.

Westlo

Inu to Hasami wa Tsukaiyou 02

"I don't want revenge, yeah he killed me but he loves your books too!" Wtf am I watching.

Dresden

rozen maiden - 08

Basically the only thing I knew about Rozen Maiden prior to watching this new series was DESU, and it looks like DESU is back next episode. Not too worried - I'm sure it'll be handled well, just like the show itself.

Watching Jun own the manager only to slip back into his wounded shell was kinda painful, but as the show - that is, Shinku - explicitly points out, he's a different man now and he just needs to realize it at this point. It was nice seeing the culmination of his efforts and how he takes another step towards normalcy via apologizing to Saito, whose costume will always remain silly.

Going through these episodes, I get this random thought about the purpose of stories-within-stories, how they can often serve to highlight or reflect about the story they're contained within, and how the story of the book Jun gifts to Shinku should have been a running commentary rather than a set of hints/foreshadowing. They'd be better as paralogues rather than analogues, or something.

BluWacky

Going through these episodes, I get this random thought about the purpose of stories-within-stories, how they can often serve to highlight or reflect about the story they're contained within, and how the story of the book Jun gifts to Shinku should have been a running commentary rather than a set of hints/foreshadowing. They'd be better as paralogues rather than analogues, or something.

The phrase I think you want is mise en abyme - a story within a story that reflects what is happening or has happened, like the Players in Hamlet where they are revealing that Hamlet knows what Laertes has done, or the Shield of Achilles sequence in the Iliad.

(or, most obviously from an anime perspective, the Shadow Girls in Utena)

I agree that the Russian doll story is a bit of a wasted opportunity. Tonally it doesn't really complement what's been going on in the rest of the series because this version of Rozen Maiden, far more so than the previous series, is tightly focused on Jun. Maybe this is a strange reaction to have, and it's probably born out of my familiarity with the franchise more than anything else, but as the show has returned to focus more on the dolls again it's become a bit less interesting.

The Russian dolls story suggests to me that (spoilers for speculation that may be irritating for those not caught up on the show - definite spoilers for episode 10)
the "moral" of the story is that none of them are complete without each other - each of the Maidens is but a part of a complete being that will be "Alice", which is why Shinku's preference for keeping the others alive rather than destroying their Rosa Mysticas is so significant. Shinku will eventually be the "victor" in the Alice Game, but presumably there will be an element of the other Maidens being absorbed into her doll body (as Kirakishou did with Souseiseki's body) so that one complete doll can "meet Father", whatever that ends up meaning
. This is far less interesting - and far more obvious - to me than Jun's eventual opening up and finding something to do with his life that makes him happy. His quasi-obsessive relationship with the dolls contrasts awkwardly with said character development, and I'm not sure how the series will resolve that in a satisfactory way.

Westlo

Inu to Hasami wa Tsukaiyou 03

Shining! Maxi-sama!

Her editor and his sister are absolutely bonkers, but at least the show was somewhat entertaining instead of just plain bad like the first two episodes.

mahouka.jp registered . . . Official announcement next month, maybe?

Based A-1 gotta be doing this. Imagine if they anounce SAO's Gun Gale Online Arc and Mahouka at the same time, megatons.
rejoice.png

Dejavuonogatari.

Was it known beforehand that they were going to do this? If not, they've got all the material written for them and all they have to really do is storyboard it and animate it. If they can't get that done on schedule and get it on the air week to week, something has gone sideways. If they planned to do it this way....whyyyy.

Well at the start it seemed like two cour for 6 LNs, so a rate of 4 episodes each if we got 24 episodes. Than in the lead up to it airing they announced that Hana was going to be aired later so we all thought, "Based shaft, now we get 5 episodes each!" especially since Neko White was confirmed for 5 episodes. And than yeah the first recap happened... and the last arc got 4 eps and we got another recap...

I bet Hana is also only 4 episodes and the reason for it being pushed back and replaced by recaps is just more shaft incompetence. Wonder how they'll mess up Nisekoi and Kagerou Days (which going by LN sales and the songs for it is going to be another massive hit for them).

BGBW

Maturity, bitches.
lol what house?
chav --------> council house and violent

Here it's only the upper class twats that do that.
Well technically it's more a general council estate thing but for the universal audience that is GAF I though they'd understand the word chav better.

But yeah, covering your houses in a lot of christmas tat is seen as something that those on the lower social ladder do.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom