• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Summer 2013 Anime Thread Zero: grown men playing with dolls/who but WB Masochism

Status
Not open for further replies.

RurouniZel

Asks questions so Ezalc doesn't have to
I'm not a M.

D355991F-124C-4B2B-8EC2-4BE462D0386D-245-0000003ADA70DE14_zps812eebfd.jpg

madp

The Light of El Cantare
The only really tough season I think is Max Heart. Other than that, the other seasons really aren't hard to get through. Granted it may just be because I never saw it as a slog. More like a magical adventure up a magical mountain with magic.

I despised both Yes seasons and Futari wa went downhill post-Porun so that's coloring my attitude here.

AHA

:KG should stand for Under the bus, because I can't stop fucking saying it. And it's not limited!

No way. :kg = eternally stuck in second place!

firehawk12

Subete no aware
I only really mentioned it because it was shown at the same film festival I saw NeraGaku. I went into it completely blind and I loved it for it's comedy. As DiGiKerot and yourself have pointed out, it's not one for overly complex setup or anything deep and meaningful but it's just a lot of fun!

I can't remember the exact scene but somewhere definitely near the end I was laughing so hard I felt I was going to be sick. If a comedy movie is doing that, it's moving in the right direction at least. Perhaps I'm just too easily pleased. For a movie that was pushed out purely so newly built cinemas would have something to show in them, it's still fairly great.

Still 15 or so pages on this damn thread but when you see a name check well....

I feel like I have to remember you if only because of your Akari/Aria-sachou avatar. lol
The movie didn't crack me up, but I thought it was cute. With a bigger budget, you could probably dub it and release alongside one of those random Dreamworks cartoons and no one would really notice a difference.

Well, except for that HP plug. lol

---

Yuyushiki fin
e7MXNsBl.jpg

I don't want to live in a world without this show. :(

You know, it's funny, this is the first time I really noticed the soundtrack... it's really nice and breezy. Otherwise, I'll miss Google: The Show.. It was so irreverent and random, but somehow reserved because it wasn't trying to pop off a new joke or set up every minute. The fact that the trio are fun together helps as well, of course.

I suppose there's more "girls sitting around" shows airing next season though, so we'll see if any of them will replace this one.

Andrew J.

Definitely
Free!
Monogatari
Silver Spoon
Symphogear G
Watamote

Maybe
C3-bu
Gatchaman Crowds

Also, I might backlog Fresh Precure for the best reason possible: To spite a juggalo.

Sort of find it funny that I don't really despise Yes Seasons despite the fact that it broke my :SDBurton goggles and did horrible things to it. It sort of made up for it with relationships with fairies being weird in a childrens show.

Theonik

マン・オブ・スティール
This was pretty terrible. Some of the action sakuga wasn't bad but I want anyone involved with the editing and the writing to be sentenced to 200 cycles of space rehabilitation. There were so many things wrong with it it's hard to begin. From the disjointed time-skips back and forth to some flatout stupid moments.
Why did they have to bring Lois on-board? Why did the old man have to die? Why is no-one on this film questioning anything that is happening?
It also seemed to drag for much of its duration and huge parts of the effort it put into world-building were largely detrimental to the whole movie's pacing than anything else. While I think the whole way they tried to establish crypton's civilisation didn't answer any real questions and raised a set of its own.

How could I forget scissors, especially after watching Mysterious Girlfriend X?
That's OK. I forgot staplers. How could I forget staplers?

madp

The Light of El Cantare
Also, I might backlog Fresh Precure for the best reason possible: To spite a juggalo.

Fresh is one of the seasons that I actually like though :p

I know that I have some seriously misplaced guilt and I've been throwing things that I don't really hate under the bus because of it. I genuinely don't regret recommending something that other people enjoyed even if it's somewhat soured in my memory in the interim.

Hyped for Gatchaman Crowds and Silver Spoon. I'll probably check out Free. Not sure about anything else.

Come to think of it, since I have OT2 duties and I don't just want to rip Mandoric's OP as well-put-together as it is, I'm probably going to have to watch at least a little bit of every show to be able to have a quippy opinion on each. Fuck.

It's okay. You can just make fun of them all based on the premise and artwork.

Mushibugyou - Episode 2

Just started this up and it's actually pretty good so far. I kinda hate that some action scenes are blacked out (for example slashing the sword on something and just showing a black screen with a cut instead of them actually cutting the thing) but it's fine I guess. I really dislike how high and mighty they're holding Mugai and talking like they know him personally. They say he's kind and everything and want to be just like him but all that's shown is that he's strong... and that's it. Pretty hard to look up to someone with strength alone.

Will keep watching but I hope the action scenes get better. Also this show makes me want to know more about Mugai.

Regulus Tera

Romanes Eunt Domus
[Pretty Soldier Sailor Moon SuperS] 132
Is it me or is Usagi somewhat precocious? And while we are on that issue, I am very disappointed that they brushed off the issue of the disparity between Usagi and Mamoru's ages with just some awkward silence. Lame.

The sudden focus on Chibiusa has its upsides, too. I appreciate the insight she offers on such ADULT AND PROFOUND MATTERS like true love
and being erased from the time continuum
. She's so cute.
they aren't even being subtle about this
This is some Precure levels of monster design atrocity.

Articalys

Okay, fine. Summer thread is in full use now, season's less than a week away.

Definite
Monogatari 2nd Season
Silver Spoon
Tamayura ~More Aggressive~
Watamote

Try
C3-Bu
Love Lab
Servant x Service
Genei wo Kakeru Taiyou
Genshiken Nidaime
Kami-sama no Inai Nichiyoubi

Consider
Kitakubu Katsudou Kiroku
Kimi no Iru Machi
Kiniro Mosaic
Neptunia

Ongoing
Titan
Space Brothers

...fuck, that's more than I thought.

Yui's little sister can't possibly be this polite and mature - 3

That opening scene before the OP was like something I would see in someone's abridged series.

Yes girls, her little sister is very polite and mature. I think the audience got it the first time.

Might as well rank the characters at this point.

1.Mio
2.Ritsu
3.Yui
4.Mugi

That opening scene before the OP was like something I would see in someone's abridged series.

Yes girls, her little sister is very polite and mature. I think the audience got it the first time.

1.Mio
2.Ritsu
3.Yui
4.Mugi

The wording makes me think... this is the dub?

1.Mio
2.Ritsu
3.Yui
4.Mugi
The joke about Ui is how amazing she is in every way, and the further and further the show goes, the more ridiculous her amazing achievements become.

I will accept these rankings.
The wording makes me think... this is the dub?
He said so as much in an earlier post...

Madao

[Pretty Soldier Sailor Moon SuperS] 132

Is it me or is Usagi somewhat precocious? And while we are on that issue, I am very disappointed that they brushed off the issue of the disparity between Usagi and Mamoru's ages with just some awkward silence. Lame.

considering that
Mamoru is in high school and just about 3 years older than Usagi in the manga,
this is pretty much the anime staff sweeping under the rug their initial mistake imo.

cnet128

Banned
So hey, I'm kinda interested in seeing what shows everyone is watching this season, specifically which shows are the most/least anticipated among AnimeGAF. So for that reason, I've thrown together this poll (quote to view):

So yeah, go there and check the box for every show you plan on watching. Or something. I left out the stuff like Titan that's just continuing on from this season, because of reasons.

I tried to select those shows that I thought I would probably end up properly watching and not dropping...

...I ended up with 21 shows total. This season might kill me.

(Also, you have Gifuu Doudou on there twice... Once under the full title, once under the subtitle alone.)

Seraphis Cain

bad gameplay lol
I tried to select those shows that I thought I would probably end up properly watching and not dropping...

...I ended up with 21 shows total. This season might kill me.

(Also, you have Gifuu Doudou on there twice... Once under the full title, once under the subtitle alone.)

Oops. I'll fix that. That's what I get for using two sources for the titles, heh.

EDIT: Oh, I can't fix it without making a new poll. Oh well. Just ignore the duplicate entry then.

Mushibugyou - Episode 2

Just started this up and it's actually pretty good so far. I kinda hate that some action scenes are blacked out (for example slashing the sword on something and just showing a black screen with a cut instead of them actually cutting the thing) but it's fine I guess. I really dislike how high and mighty they're holding Mugai and talking like they know him personally. They say he's kind and everything and want to be just like him but all that's shown is that he's strong... and that's it. Pretty hard to look up to someone with strength alone.

Will keep watching but I hope the action scenes get better. Also this show makes me want to know more about Mugai.

I thought its actually supposed to be the style, as the black stuff when they do the sword slashing in the episodes is actually in motion.

cajunator

Banned
Does that mean Kurita can never change his avatar?

I hope not. That one goes with everything.

I would be all for new ones added to the list. As long as they have a clear definition of perosnality.

Thanks to anime gaf and Toonami gaf my list of anime I watch has grown exponentially from the same time last year.

We're here for you! We will help you get through the worst of shows!

Seraphis Cain

bad gameplay lol
You also have Silver Spoon on it twice. One as Silver Spoon and the other as Gin no Saji.

Aaaaaagh, goddamnit. Okay. I'm gonna have to make a new poll to fix this. It's because I was using both AniChart and TVTropes' lists, and one romanizes their titles while the other doesn't. Anyway, I'll post the new poll at the top of the next page, so if you've voted on it, you'll have to do it again.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom