• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Summer 2013 Anime Thread Zero: grown men playing with dolls/who but WB Masochism

Status
Not open for further replies.

cajunator

Banned
il sole penetra le illusioni ~ Day Break Illusion 1

So um...holy shit. I was not expecting this at all. Amazing OP, great animation, great music, just generally high production values everywhere...wow. And the story wasted no time getting dark as shit. Honestly I'm kinda blown away. I don't know if they can keep this level of quality up for the whole series, but I certainly hope they do. I know I had my reservations about this show, but this first episode was so good that that's all been nullified. Can't wait for next week now.

Ok I really need to see this too!
Especially if its THAT kind of show.

HEY GUYS LOOK, SOMEONE JUST THREW ANOTHER SHOW FOR KIRBYGUY TO WATCH

And here I thought Summer was going to be shit. Summer is working its magic for me

This is why you dont listen to the animegaf collective about a season until youve experienced it yourself. Its a bunch of honking geese until well over half the season.

Because Upper Body and dreams. Also Fujoshi money.

Summer was thrown under a bus too soon.

Of course it was, like all other seasons. Unless they get overhyped and disappoint.

I'm on the third chapter of the VN myself and I feel like it's definitely something rather aimed at those who have played it and not for those jumping fresh in. Stuff moved at a bit too dizzying pace perhaps. But yeah, seems like a good adaptation and there's nothing to complain about. There's a lot of stuff to go through with just these 12 episodes.

Back to Spice and Wolf for now.

cajunator

Banned
Oh Kayos, your super moe avatar is killing me

Now say oniiiiii- chan

image.php

Dawwww!

Fucking. No.

You are sooooo cute! *glomps Kayo-s~

*Looks at anime out today*

Hoooolllyyyy shiiiit

Yea no shit. EVERYTHING else came out today. Gonna keep me busy on vacation in three days!

Remember when shaft shows had good openings? Not only is Soredemo the best show out of them, it also had the last good opening.

STILL THE BEST

Daybreak Illusion 1

Who thought it was a good idea to use a bunch of broken CRT effects in 2013? I get that they needed something to show the breaking continuity or descents into "darkness" but it just didn't seem effective. A little music or at least some sound effects to act as stingers would've gone a long way to make all the unfortunate stuff feel a little less cheap. Hopefully they either expand it further into the grand scheme of things or just drop the TV effects entirely.

I also wish there was some more cohesion in this episode, either focus on the cousin's envy or the "creepy" long hair dude's desire to bring back his wife. As it is both situations felt toothless and awkwardly mixed so far. More of a show don't tell philosophy would've been great too, the fast growing plants creeping into the cousin's room could've been really unsettling or the long hair guy could've been eerie at just a glance but instead we were mostly told about them.

This may seem a little harsh but that's because I want this show to be good, all the pieces are there and just with a few tweaks it could be so much more. This could either turn into my surprise hit of the season or a disappointing case of wasted potential.

sagat2036

Only think i hate about the daisuki player is that you cant pause it with space bar.

Other than that, Tsubasa Tiger part 1 so gooooood!

Mayoi arc gonna be sad =/

cajunator

Banned
As long as there's Hidamari, Shaft will live on!

Fucking right!!!
But my love for studio SHAFT is eternal

Man with all the shine from the shows I'm getting from Summer, Doki Doki feels like bleh even more.

Its shiny new toys and we are all ADD.

Glory on the field of battle.

Kayos I really like this avatar. You chose wisely :D

Genshiken: TNG
bjwqyWFl.jpg

I feel like this was a wasted opportunity to use some of the old shots, because there's absolutely no nostalgia in how the show opens. That CG hall and CG door... combined with an all new voice cast (I can't get over the new Madarame... which is so broken because unlike the other guys or even Ogiue, he is basically a main character), and it feels like I'm watching an entirely different franchise.

But, it was nice to meet the people again. They really just said fuck it to the volume 8 and 9 stories and just assume that you know what's going on, and that's fine. Nerds are still going to nerd, and references will still be made. Although, I'm not sure how I feel about them being able to use "real anime" now:
1SOPvrEl.jpg

Also, there's more gender identity issues in one episode than in all of Wandering Son!
NzQaCNrl.jpg

Well, not really, but given where this show will go, it's kind of funny to revisit how the series started in the beginning.

I just need to get over the new cast... yikes.

Mixed feelings about this. Will have to watch it but it looks sooooooo different!

Colored eyelashes in Genshiken? fuck i don't have time to marathon S1 to get to this :(

Did you watch Mondaiji? Because Shiroyasha is not only amazing and cute but she has colored lashes!

LordCanti

Daybreak Illusion 1

....What? Did
her cousin get blinked out of existence or....what? I don't even.

Ready to see where this one goes.

Articalys

Tidbits from Sunrise's AX panel:

- on how they ended up being chosen for Daily Lives of High School Boys: "When they first sent it to Sunrise asking for it to be made, I said no. Why, you ask? Because it was so stupid. When they first came to us, it was like 'Come on, Sunrise makes Gundam', but I thought that if the Gintama director, Mr. Takamatsu does it, he would do a good job. So when I went to Takamatsu and asked him if he would be interested, he said "Wow, it's so stupid, let's do it.' Since you guys just cheered for it so much, I guess it was a good decision."

- work was only just finished on the Gintama Kanketsu-hen movie one week ago

- Gundam ZZ will be streamed on Daisuki in the near future.

- Still no further updates on former Bandai Ent. shows besides "talking with Funi and Sentai about them"

cajunator

Banned
Hi guys. This is going to be my first post here*.

Monogatari Second Season - 1

What to say about the awaited continuation? Wait, it's easy. Composed of

Moe opening
Tits
Asses
'Curious' dialogue (I was about to say smart, then but I thought twice)
Spirits / ghosts
Modernist design with a tendency to use white + a strong color as palette
Lots and lots of short cuts
Short haircuts (ugh, they were better with long hair)
a few funny moments

In other words, nothing new. Or, the expected, if you want want to see the glass half full.

I also have been watching HxH 2011 (best shonen series.... actually, it's basically the only shonen I like) and Shingeki no Kyojin.

From the past season, I watched
Valvrave (just for laughs, it doesn't reach Code Geass, even if I look at it from the trainwerk angle)
Chihayafuru (good, of course, though I joke with friends that Chihaya is not heterosexual or homosexual, but kuratasexual and we will never ever see any romantic relationship)
Yahari (meh)
Hataraku Maou-sama (good first five episodes, then it went meh)
Gargantia (I should have left the damn series after the third episode)

Right now I'm watching a series recommended by a friend, Kemono no Souja Erin. Manga wise, I read a ton of Seinen, in the hundreds range, though in the last years I slowed down a lot.

In this season, I expect to watch Silver Spoon, and maybe check Gatchman Crowds, just for Kenji Nakamura, Monogatari though quality of past series has been a bit uneven and there is some inertia.

*: though I have been lurking, reading you for years. I know all your secrets...

Welcome to the thread!
Glad you have found several series to latch onto. Chihayafuru is definitely one of my favorites.

thisismadp'sfetish.jpg

Its a great fetish to have. Them eyelashes are the real stuff.

Articalys

Genei wo Kakeru Taiyou ep 1

Well that was a thing. I see they've chosen to go the "what the hell is going on" route for the first episode and explain things later.

Also, laughing at Eri Kitamura getting cast again as the blue color-themed character in a grimdark magical girl show.

Regulus Tera

Romanes Eunt Domus
[MegaMan Maverick Hunter X: The Day of ∑]
I always knew Chill Penguin was a Nazi.

A 30-minute XEBEC OVA that came out with the release of the MegaMan X remake for PSP, and it's about as unremarkable as it could be. They decided to go for a mystery atmosphere with this, which is pretty stupid because 1) this is a prequel to MMX, and 2) you unlock the OVA after you finish the game. Great job, Capcom?

It's just weird to watch an OVA of MMX like this and see little to no action whatsoever. You know, the things MMX is known for! Plus, ugly-arse CGI mechas. You get to see some familiar faces, but in all honesty this is kinda boring. I would rather watch a MegaMan Zero adaptation in the style of those commercials from back in the day.

cajunator

Banned
Genshiken S3

I'm really liking how the show looks now, since the first two seasons (or maybe it was just the first) looked kinda butt. Only problem I have is that I kind of don't remember what happened in the story other than a few of the main cast graduating, though that's more than likely due to my awful memory. Also the new voice cast is weird and scary, it'll take some getting used to. Hopefully the new cast of characters will bring enough entertainment to replace the not so prevalent former main cast.

Please tell me they didnt change Ohno too much!

Bimbougami ga!
Element Hunters
Jormungand
OniAi
Penguindrum

Sakura's in Binbougami Ga are by far the best.

Sure, but what makes the lashes special other than their color? lol

They are so goddamned beautiful. You wouldnt understand.

Heh, if I make a list of series that I consider good and other with series I consider bad, I doubt anyone would coincide with me 100%. That would be too much to expect.

But I will put some of the series that I liked in the last years, to give some orientation:

Chihayafuru
Shingeki no Kyojin
Hunter x Hunter
Moyashimon Returns
Shinsekai Yori
Kyousogiga
Sakamichi no Apollon
Tsuritama
Fate Zero
Steins Gate
Mawaru Penguindrum
Ookiku Furikabutte
Madoka
Level E
Ghost Hound
Haruhi Suzumiya (first season)
The Tatami Galaxy
The Book of Bantorra
Bakemonogatari
Mouryou no Hako
House of Five Leaves

Ok we can get along pretty well.

I feel like that's going a little far >.>

It was a good first episode, to be sure, but I don't think there's any indication of it reaching those heights just yet.

Dark imagery? Cute innocent protagonist? Creepy vibes?

It's certainly heading down the same path. But who knows. The show has yet to take a turn down SAO Street or Valvrave Boulevard.

Something nonsense Something - Day Break Illusion 1

Decent first episode, will continue watching for a few more episodes to see where this show goes. I also really enjoy Mai Kadowaki because her voice is adorable.

cajunator

Banned
You should. We may very well be getting the next Madoka Magica with this opening episode.

That is high high HIGH praise. the likes of which I'm not prepared to accept for this show unless it continues like this for the duration. Madoka Magica is one of the best animes of any genre ever so it will be very difficult for this to live up to it.

cajunator

Banned
Dark imagery? Cute innocent protagonist? Creepy vibes?

It's certainly heading down the same path. But who knows. The show has yet to take a turn down SAO Street or Valvrave Boulevard.

Thats a good start, but it will take more than that.
Madoka was a perfect storm of design and ideas that came together at the right moment, and was further escalated by rampant discussion of symbolism from how weird it looks and then blown into the stratosphere with hype by the delay.

Hidamari Sketch x 365 episode 2

Ah, back to the pleasant pacing and one day at a time format. And looks like this season will feature more Chika! I'd say this brought me back to a good mood after Daybreak Illusion but new Monogatari has pretty much made my day already.

Today's best outfit goes to Sae! She didn't have much competition but girls in ties or tie like things are always a plus.

jgminto

Monogatari is Shaft's greatest work of Shaft-ness ever. It's glorious. I love Madoka more, but it doesn't feel nearly as SHAFT as Monogatari does. Shaft x Nisio Isin is a match made in heaven. If you want to watch the series, just start at the beginning with Bakemonogatari (15 episodes), follow that up with Nisemonogatari (11 episodes), and finally watch the brief Nekomonogatari (Kuro) (4 episodes). Then you'll be fully prepared for the new series which starts airing today.

The one thing that may confuse you is that there's a separate anime called Katanagatari, which is also an adaptation of a novel series by Nisio Isin and is similarly titled, so it's often mentioned in conjunction with the Monogatari series. It's also very good, but it's not a Shaft series and it's completely unconnected to the Monogatari saga, so there's no need to look into that one if you don't want to.
Thanks. Might check them out as backlog this season with the way it's going.
So any of these new season anime OP's or ED's stick out to anyone yet? I personally see 2 so far, which is ok I guess.
The Servant X Service OP is pretty good. Really dig the visual style, wish the whole show looked like it. And the Free ED is awesome. The Gifu Dodo OP has a sweet song. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Vl86zunSk0c

cajunator

Banned
I think the show looks better in all aspects but you be the judge:

Hmm. Acceptable. Will have to see. They kept her beauty mark although her hair looks rather tidy. It should be in her eyes because hnnnnngh.

Me either. It's obnoxiously boring in a lot of ways.

I wont disagree. The amount of exposition is exhausting. If you can make it through though the characters are really quite likeable and interesting. Plus Senjougahara is a straight up goddess so theres always that. I find I dont like the monagatari series as much when shes not as involved though.

Articalys

So Neko White ep 1 worked okay as standalone given my mostly intact memories of the other TV series, but by next Saturday I think I'm going to have to:

- finally get around to reading Kizu
- rewatch Neko Black
- rewatch Bake
- rewatch Nise (probably skip over brushy brushy though)

Busy busy!

cajunator

Banned
So Neko White ep 1 worked okay as standalone given my mostly intact memories of the other TV series, but by next Saturday I think I'm going to have to:

- rewatch Neko Black
- rewatch Bake

Busy busy!

That is a LOT of words you are gonna be sifting through!

Hattori

Banned
Genshiken Nidaime First Impressions:

...slightly disappointed, hearing the old cast with new VAs is kind of jarring. It's especially more pronounced with Ogiue, Ohno, and Madarame, they don't even feel like the same characters anymore. The episode itself wasn't all that bad, Sue is very entertaining and Yoshitake is a fun character and quite likable. And Hato-chan, certainly makes for a very entertaining new member. Other than my VA gripes, it wasn't bad. However, it definitely falls short of my expectations.

pXwmkhX.png

597A6Vi.png

New Members

cajunator

Banned
Genshiken Nidaime First Impressions:

...slightly disappointed, hearing the old cast with new VAs is kind of jarring. It's especially more pronounced with Ogiue, Ohno, and Madarame, they don't even feel like the same characters anymore. The episode itself wasn't all that bad, Sue is very entertaining and Yoshitake is a fun character and quite likable. And Hato-chan, certainly makes for a very entertaining new member. Other than my VA gripes, it wasn't bad. However, it definitely falls short of my expectations.

Ok this is worrying. I got quite attached to the old ones :(
Is there any appearance of Kujibiki Unbalance?

Thanks. Might check them out as backlog this season with the way it's going.

Don't forget that reading Kizumonogatari would be a good idea after Bakemonogatari. It's not strictly required for nise or neko (black) but it helps flesh things out and that's the order it was written in. It's either that or continue waiting years for the movie.

not even katanagatari ?

I love all the monogataris (well not so much Nise) but Katanagatari is definitely the most guilty of exposition dumping. Still amazing though.

cnet128

Banned

Hmm. That's an interesting idea, and I'm tempted to do the same. I've heard vague suggestions in the past that knowledge of Kizu is almost a prerequisite for appreciating Monogatari Second Season, but does anyone know how accurate that really is?

My only worry is that I'd feel too awkward jumping straight in to the novel series with Kizu, so I'd probably have to read the two volumes of Bake first, and reading through three whole light novels would be a fairly big time sink >.>

But...why would you skip the best part??

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom