• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Summer 2013 Anime Thread Zero: grown men playing with dolls/who but WB Masochism

Status
Not open for further replies.

wsippel

Banned
Servant x Service was surprisingly enjoyable. Fun characters with nice chemistry. And Symphogear G is, well, more Symphogear. Which is a definitely a good thing, in a trainwreck-in-slow-motion kinda way. Can't wait for the show of the season (High School DxD New of course) to start in a couple of hours - hope AT-X doesn't decide to randomly censor it, after they left the first season untouched.

Oh, and happy birthday RurouniZel!

Monogatari second season - 01

It wasn't bad, i think it was ok , it seems that they started a bunch of sub plots and plan to solve them once at a time or at once for a finale. it would be intresting to see everyone viewpoint of the events to get the full picture later.

so far so good i guess ?

Monogatari%20Series%20Second%20Season%20-%2001.jpg

Pleeeaasse

Ps: hanekawa familly situation sucks and i don't even begin to understand how she manages to keep her sanity in check

Articalys

Okay, I found a second source that says "Psycho-Pass S2 or OVA accidentally announced at Production IG Panel!" (emphasis mine)

So keep your expectations in check until this gets officially confirmed one way or the other.

edit: handful of other Twitter reports from the I.G panel -- one just says "More Psycho-Pass confirmed by production IG"; another notes that Ishikawa said S2 "hadn't been announced" and then later simply reported "Psycho Pass 2 confirmed."

New simulcast announcement from Crunchyroll: Makai Ouji: Devils and Realist.

Oh awesome, and with that all the shows that I was hyped for and had interest in buying are being streamed.
Free!
Hakkenden 2 (and licensed by Sentai)
Blood Lad (and Viz)
Makai Ouji: Devils and Realist

And then The Eccentric Family, Brother's Conflict, Dangan Ronpa, Senyuu2, and il sole penetra le illusioni ~ Day Break Illusion.

Good season.

duckroll

Okay, I found a second source that says "Psycho-Pass S2 or OVA accidentally announced at Production IG Panel!" (emphasis mine)

So keep your expectations in check until this gets officially confirmed one way or the other.

It probably won't be "officially confirmed" until September. They're hyping up a "major announcement" for the event on Sept 6. I -think- it's the same event which they'll be including tickets for in the final volume of the BD.

Articalys

It probably won't be "officially confirmed" until September. They're hyping up a "major announcement" for the event on Sept 6. I -think- it's the same event which they'll be including tickets for in the final volume of the BD.
I was just playing it safe with the clarification in case it did turn out to be errant reporting. But the first guy was a Funi brand manager so I'd hope he'd be accurate lolol.

Anyway, the extra reports in the previous post mean it probably is S2 and not just an OVA or movie, so we'll see in a couple months.

edit: and now ANN's running with the second season news as well, noting that "according to Ishikawa, script development and production are underway."

They're not really even trying to make it seem like a secret what the event is for, are they?

cajunator

Banned
Monogatari second season - 01

It wasn't bad, i think it was ok , it seems that they started a bunch of sub plots and plan to solve them once at a time or at once for a finale. it would be intresting to see everyone viewpoint of the events to get the full picture later.

so far so good i guess ?

Ps: hanekawa familly situation sucks and i don't even begin to understand how she manages to keep her sanity in check

Senjou what have they done? WHAT HAVE THEY DONE ;_;

Theonik

PP2? I never asked for this.

really how they got this greenlit? it was a total failure.
Maybe it will be like Lightning being shoved in every game and they'll just keep trying till either PP is an IP as strong as GiTS or they go bankrupt.

Pooya

Maybe it will be like Lightning being shoved in every game and they'll just keep trying till either PP is an IP as strong as GiTS or they go bankrupt.

Kogami Returns: Akane's face

yeah, I remember before release they were talking too big about this, it sure bombed in their face instead.

last episode spoiler
hopefully that new girl is protag instead of what her face >.<

The first part was like the most succesful noitaminA anime for a very long time.

really? though I guess that's not saying much.

Midonin

Doki Doki Precure 23

Ace is not Regina. Ace is not Marie Ange. She's not even Ai. She's Iori Minase. (The credits still list her name as "Cure Ace", and she looks and speaks exactly like Iori. Until Toei gives me a reason to otherwise, that's what I'm calling her.) Her transformation sequence was super flashy, and for a magical girl who uses magical lipstick, she kicks some serious ass. I think she drove Regina to orgasm there. The two new generals - Gluttony (Gula) and Clown Hobo (I didn't catch his name) - I'm not sure what they'll add, but we now have five generals and five Cures for future battles.

This is the first time Mana actually looked defeated. And much like the Kyoryu Grey story, she went without power and realized that she needs some weaknesses in order to get stronger. She still loves Regina. All of her wives really. But I don't care about any of that, because 1/3rd of Ryuuguu Komachi is in Precure, taunting me. Who are you, Iori, and what are you doing in my magical girl show?

Jarmel

Banned
Apparently Psycho-Pass S2 just got confirmed at Anime Expo by Mitsuhisa Ishikawa. Or something.

edit: despite the source, might be safest to chalk this up as a rumor for now until something gets formally announced.

Hold up what the fuck. What????

They definitely left it open for a sequel but I didn't expect them to follow through.

FelixOrion

Poet Centuriate
Le Chevalier D'Eon 8

So in two episodes our crew has made it from Versailles to Cologne to our destination, St. Petersburg.

Pretty simple episode so far, showing the dynamics of the Russian court and some new characters. The Russian Empress seems like a bitch, but they may be able to twist her to their side. As well as this Katerina woman, whose husband is a total slime ball.

Ok this show really likes to push the whole crossdressing thing. Like, a lot.

So another
assassination attempt in the works? They really are retreading Lia's steps. But this time there's more than just Lia.

CorvoSol

Love Lab is apparently pretty good.
No mecha though.
did you ever finish Kiddy Grade?

I finished Kiddy Grade like, early last month, hahaha. It was pretty good, although wideface and constant upskirts aren't my thing. I still really enjoyed the sci fi elements, and Donner Schlag was a bro.

Taruranto

..What screen time? She barely got any in the first season. :lol

Aside from that one random episode of course.

Yes, that's the point. She got one whole episode despite being pretty much useless. Akira Ishida or Gino's dad could have used that screen time.

cnet128

Banned
*reading Bakemonogatari novel*

lol Araragi got
his cheek stapled
. I had forgotten she actually went through with that. Didn't even know
he's part vampire
at that point. Senjougahara you so psycho.

The description of Araragi
reaching in and pulling the staple out afterwards
was pretty cringe-inducing too >.>

Zettai bouei Leviathan - 13

Let's adapt a rpg narrative in anime but stop at the first arc !!!

it is such a shame, ZBL is a nice anime, but it was obvious that they were ignoring the big plot almost on purpose to make the cast better, now i have to admit that seeing the cast in this episode was fun to see , i can't help but have this hollow feelign because it's over...

Zettai%20Bouei%20Leviathan%20-%2013_01.jpg
Zettai%20Bouei%20Leviathan%20-%2013_02.jpg

Ah ah ah even in the last episode.

Now i should go and get intrested in the game, but i can't because it's on that stupid platform... so i'll just hope that we'll see more adventure of the cast because it was fun to watch.

ZBL was a nice distraction , it could have been much better while keeping the cast intact if they had more time and more money. I'll wait ....wait for a season 2, and for more cuteness.

Leviathan : Good character in the end , it's a shame that anything that drive her actions is her brother, she would have been much better if she wasn't that one sided.

Bahamut : Excellent oujo-sama character , she managed to have a decent time interracting with the cast , to the point that she feel like she is the one who grew up the most , when in fact it's the opposite. The last subplot with her father was a nice way to let her travel in peace. i hope she doesn't change , now.

Jorm : When i doubt , use your axe ! No seriously , her easy going attitude and her 3 sister made her a nice character to follow , she is clearly the one who need an upgrade next , and i hope she gets one.

Syrop : Best character , no contest ... that fairy had the rihgt mindset , the right attitude , wasn't afraid to talk and was finally a nice assist when needed ( be it just cheer , or anything else ). Most of her running gags were spot-on ...can't wait to know more about her, should another season be made.

Note : 7.4/10

cajunator

Banned
I finished Kiddy Grade like, early last month, hahaha. It was pretty good, although wideface and constant upskirts aren't my thing. I still really enjoyed the sci fi elements, and Donner Schlag was a bro.

Yeah its a lot of fun. Didnt remember you finishing it or not.
glad you liked it.

CorvoSol

Regulus you need to stop having Utena avatars now. I spent the whole camp out thinking about that show. I mean, not the WHOLE camp out, but it did pop into my brain sort of frequently. Which was okay because if a show has me reflecting positively on it afterward then well, that's a good mark for it in my book.

Like: "The Second Raid" Good. "Revolutionary Girl Utena" Good. "G and ZZ Gundam." Good.

"00 and AGE" Fuck. "Sword Art Online" NEVER AGAIN. and such as examples of shows that left really bad tastes in my mouth.

Gonna start watching the movie tonight. Figured I'd watch a few movies in my mix. Got Utena, then I'll watch the Gurren Lagann ones, then maybe the E7 one. I dunno.

Yeah its a lot of fun. Didnt remember you finishing it or not.
glad you liked it.

I was pleasantly surprised. When I first looked at the character designs, I didn't expect much, but the characters of Eclair and Lumiere were pretty well done.

Tenumi

Banned
Doki Doki Precure 23

Ace is not Regina. Ace is not Marie Ange. She's not even Ai. She's Iori Minase. (The credits still list her name as "Cure Ace", and she looks and speaks exactly like Iori. Until Toei gives me a reason to otherwise, that's what I'm calling her.) Her transformation sequence was super flashy, and for a magical girl who uses magical lipstick, she kicks some serious ass. I think she drove Regina to orgasm there. The two new generals - Gluttony (Gula) and Clown Hobo (I didn't catch his name) - I'm not sure what they'll add, but we now have five generals and five Cures for future battles.

This is the first time Mana actually looked defeated. And much like the Kyoryu Grey story, she went without power and realized that she needs some weaknesses in order to get stronger. She still loves Regina. All of her wives really. But I don't care about any of that, because 1/3rd of Ryuuguu Komachi is in Precure, taunting me. Who are you, Iori, and what are you doing in my magical girl show?

So wait a second, am I watching the same show twice, since I'm watching Kyoryuger and DokiDoki Precure?

Also, feels like a missed a lot today....

PsionBolt

Precure of the North Star - 23

!!!
ACE! That fucking transformation sequence, Jesus. Way too strong. Forget Sunshine, GoGo Lemonade, and the Suites. Ace is the new standard for Precure transformations. It's amazing. Dat everything. Classy silhouettes, Heartcatch or Symphogear-style. Burning body, Sunny or GoGo Rouge-style. So good.
Her beamspam stock footage is still as great as the preview indicated, as well.

In other news, the Sailor Stars similarities keep coming.
Ai-chan brainwashed her way into the Aida household just like Chibichibi before her. There were also some minor things that seemed reminiscent, but they're probably just coincidences.

Mana's
breakdown should please the Mana Sue complainers a bit, as if her nearly-fatal failure in the last episode wasn't enough. Regina's arc ultimately not being about Mana's perfect justice, but rather her naivety leading to failure, is a really nice setup that leads perfectly into the current Ace-centric training arc. Haters begone, Dokidoki writing is best Precure writing.

Those who fancy fisticuffs should enjoy this episode as well. It contained more than many other Dokidoki episodes combined.
Untransformed Mana fighting anyway really touched my heart. That's the true spirit of a Kamen Rider, right there! It's not about the mask or the kick - the defining trait of a Kamen Rider is his heart full of justice, and the courage to stand up to evil no matter the odds. I would have liked to see Mana's cybernetic enhancements applied more directly in this episode, but I'll take this and be satisfied.

The new
generals were mildly interesting, but greatly overshadowed by Ace and Mana. They do get some points for attacking themselves instead of relying on their MotWs exclusively, but Ira and Mammo did the same in the first episode, so I somewhat doubt they'll continue.

Preview this time finally lacks game-changing details. I still look forward to next episode, but there's no speculation to be had. Oh, actually, about last episode's preview -
I recall a shot that made it look like Mana was in the Trump Kingdom untransformed, but nothing of the sort occurred in this episode. I might be misremembering, though.

2013 is the Year of the Magical Girl. Summer 2013 is the Season of the Magical Girl. Dokidoki Precure is the Great Leader of the Magical Girl Revolution.
In short, go and watch it immediately! And I mean it this time!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom