• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Summer 2013 Anime Thread Zero: grown men playing with dolls/who but WB Masochism

Status
Not open for further replies.

Shergal

Lovelab
sakuga overload

Il sole etc etc
The character designs are still horrible, but the art direction is surprisingly competent. Maybe it will be entertaining through its run. I just hope it's fast paced, otherwise I'd start noticing the bad designs and lackluster animation and get bummed.

Genei wo Kakeru Taiyou 1

There sure are a lot of despair-filled magical girl series lately. That's a trend I'm totally cool with.

There's a pretty clear attempt at art style dissonance here. The proportions make everyone appear pretty much the same height, like they're going partially SD or something. Then there's the designs themselves, which are reminiscent of kid shows (not just magical girl). However, the content and atmosphere are definitely darker than the appearance would suggest. It's like something halfway between Precure and Madoka. At least that's what the pretty decent despair eyes suggests to me.

ydEciig.jpg

Not much coherent setup here for the overarching plot, but there definitely seems to be some mindfuck stuff going on here. Saying it's trying to emulate Madoka might be reaching a bit, but there's definitely some kind of darker mystery.

As classical elements are at play here, there's some potential for visually impressive and mildly strategic battles. Definitely looking forward to that. Hopefully the animation and choreography stays good.

cnet128

Banned
Uh, he just finished Utena and is going to watch the movie. Also I remember him saying he'd watch Madoka when he finished Utena, so it's not like he always hurts himself.

This is also a thing I am waiting with bated breath for.

(Honestly, the "OMG CORVO IS WATCHING SOMETHING GOOD" was just a kneejerk reaction based on the sheer contrast between that and the fact that he just started subjecting himself to Eureka fucking Seven fucking A fucking O. I don't actually think he's only capable of watching things that are made of pain and suffering.)

Genei wo Kakeru Taiyou 1

There sure are a lot of despair-filled magical girl series lately. That's a trend I'm totally cool with.

This is honestly what gets to me about most magical girl shows. I find that little girls with magical powers and slice-of-life drama just doesn't mix very well. There should be something big going on, and some element of risk for me to care for what these characters are going through. This new show should certainly provide me with that kind of drama.

His reactions to Madoka are going to be some of the greatest moments in this thread. Honestly, anyone's first impressions of Madoka are fun to read.

It makes me feel bad that I didn't post my impressions in this thread. Back then I thought this thread was for the discussion of currently airing anime only, but I sadly was proven wrong the more I went in here.

Articalys

A couple tidbits from the audience Q&A portion of the Production I.G panel earlier:
Your animation is extremely good, but I've seen occasional "blips" like in Episode 13 of Attack on Titan. What are some of the constraints that affect Production I.G's quality; is it cost or time?

[Mitsuhisa] Ishikawa: Both.

What were your feelings about the ending of Guilty Crown?

[Kazuchika] Kise: I didn't see it, so I don't know.
Ishikawa: I have seen it, but I don't know either.

CorvoSol

Uh, he just finished Utena and is going to watch the movie. Also I remember him saying he'd watch Madoka when he finished Utena, so it's not like he always hurts himself.

Oh crap I'd better queue that now. Totes forgot.

Oh fuck, Corvo's watching Glass Fleet now? Dammit, now I'm gonna have to get into some sort of rhythm with this piece of crap to stay ahead of him.

In my defense, I stopped watching anime altogether for like, three days just to give you that bonus boost.

(Honestly, the "OMG CORVO IS WATCHING SOMETHING GOOD" was just a kneejerk reaction based on the sheer contrast between that and the fact that he just started subjecting himself to Eureka fucking Seven fucking A fucking O. I don't actually think he's only capable of watching things that are made of pain and suffering.)

I am the Medieval Priest of AnimeGAF. Only through pain can I be made clean.

Krogan

Welcome to the NHK end

Started the series this morning and just got done finishing it. What a depressingly great show, by far the saddest Anime I have seen(not a whole lot). I definitely have to buy the DVD set (only $14 on Amazon) even though I might not have the heart to rewatch it.
Holy fuck at the "Off" Meeting episodes going into the series knowing nothing about it other than conspiracy stuff and I was completely shocked.
Going to make sure the next Anime I watch is happy go lucky.

survivor

Banned
Welcome to the NHK end

Started the series this morning and just got done finishing it. What a depressingly great show, by far the saddest Anime I have seen(not a whole lot). I definitely have to buy the DVD set (only $14 on Amazon) even though I might not have the heart to rewatch it.
Holy fuck at the "Off" Meeting episodes going into the series knowing nothing about it other than conspiracy stuff and I was completely shocked.
Usagi Drop will do wonders in lifting your spirit up.

cajunator

Banned
Welcome to the NHK end

Yeah this show was waaaaaaaaay darker than I expected. Its one of my favorites. Ive rewatched it so many times.
Misaki is a sweetheart so it rips your heart out sometimes.

Probably little squee things.

Ill check when I get home.

jbug617

Banned
I just realized that no one has picked up Kuroko no Basket yet. Sort of shocked by it because it sold pretty well in Japan

CorvoSol

Revolutionary Girl Utena: Episodes 2-6
What kind of school are these people running?!

But seriously, the music and presentation are still fantastic. Enjoying it so far.

That Kangaroo goes on to have a successful career in copies of Zelda games owned by people that know better than to choose that fucking bear.

Pooya

A couple tidbits from the audience Q&A portion of the Production I.G panel earlier:

GC ending bit is gold.

How much does it cost to produce a 26-episode anime?

Ishikawa: For something like Ghost in the Shell: Stand Alone Complex, which was 26 episodes, the cost was 8 million dollars.

that's cheap

Now that you've produced Chaos;HEAd, Steins;Gate and Robotics;Notes, will you plan to continue with the [Nitroplus] "super science" series?

Ishikawa: Absolutely.

cool.

What's more important to you, a high-quality product, or having a good story?

Kise: You will probably get the answer when you watch the premiere of Ghost in the Shell Arise tonight

Interesting.

I just realized that no one has picked up Kuroko no Basket yet. Sort of shocked by it because it sold pretty well in Japan

Sports anime have never really done well in the US. Even stuff that's really popular like Prince of Tennis and Hajime no Ippo never really lived up to expectations in the US. The same is true for most sports manga, as well.

Kuroko would be a risky pickup for release on DVD/Bluray, and it would probably also be fairly expensive to license due to how popular it is in Japan. I don't expect to see it for years, if ever.

Quasar

Its like that the whole entire way. Enjoy
Also watch Aishiteruze baby for more dawww aand onigiri.

Yeah. After watching those I desperately want to recapture that feeling. Sadly there doesn't seem much more for me.

Got warned off Usagi Drop manga. Maybe Aishiteruze Baby manga would be OK.

Jarmel

Banned
Oh fuck, Corvo's watching Glass Fleet now? Dammit, now I'm gonna have to get into some sort of rhythm with this piece of crap to stay ahead of him.

I had to bail out of Glass Fleet. I knew the road it was heading down towards and I could not follow. :(

jbug617

Banned
Sports anime have never really done well in the US. Even stuff that's really popular like Prince of Tennis and Hajime no Ippo never really lived up to expectations in the US. The same is true for most sports manga, as well.

Kuroko would be a risky pickup for release on DVD/Bluray, and it would probably also be fairly expensive to license due to how popular it is in Japan. I don't expect to see it for years, if ever.

I'm sad. Guess that would explain the reason for the incomplete sets of Prince of Tennis and Eyeshield 21

Tenumi

Banned
I fear the day I'll have disposible income. I've already got Guilty Crown Parts 1 & 2 on track to be self-Birthday presents late in August, despite better judgement.

I've bought worse, I'm sure...

dimb

Bjergsen is the greatest midlane in the world
Doesn't it kinda defeat the purpose of surprise if he tells us in advance it won't be like what we expect?

Still excited either way.
Maybe it is not what you don't expect now that you are expecting it.

CorvoSol

God I hate it when things do this.

EDIT:

Ricky is boring, I always go for Dimitri.

Dmitri is okay, but Ricky PUNCHES TORNADOES. I mean come on. All Dmitri does is try to bite things. Moosh just falls. Which he does all the time. Over pits. Fucking Moosh.

When they were released on VC a few months back, Ricky was my bro in Seasons.

Ricky is the OG. Link wishes his hands were registered lady killing weapons.

I had to bail out of Glass Fleet. I knew the road it was heading down towards and I could not follow. :(

I can't figure out if Michel is a boy or a girl.

If Funimation could get Attack on Titan, then is really Kuroko more expensive than that? They even have most of IG's other receive anime these past few seasons.

For viz to even get Cross Manage, and keep releasing Slam Dunk and the other...then I think there is still some interest here in the US for sports series.

cnet128

Banned
Dmitri is okay, but Ricky PUNCHES TORNADOES. I mean come on. All Dmitri does is try to bite things. Moosh just falls. Which he does all the time. Over pits. Fucking Moosh.

Only if you can't handle his awesome. I bet you're one of those people who thinks the Mermaid Suit isn't awesome, too.

Quasar

Is it due to the sports? I mean would a American Football manga do better?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom