• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Summer 2013 Anime Thread Zero: grown men playing with dolls/who but WB Masochism

Status
Not open for further replies.

CorvoSol

Only if you can't handle his awesome. I bet you're one of those people who thinks the Mermaid Suit isn't awesome, too.

I think the Mermaid Suit would be more awesome if it looked more like a suit and less like a sock.

Best item is still the Roc's Cape, though. Why use any other item when I got that?

cajunator

Banned
Yeah. After watching those I desperately want to recapture that feeling. Sadly there doesn't seem much more for me.

Got warned off Usagi Drop manga. Maybe Aishiteruze Baby manga would be OK.

The manga is probably fine. It doesnt go...there.

I fear the day I'll have disposible income. I've already got Guilty Crown Parts 1 & 2 on track to be self-Birthday presents late in August, despite better judgement.

I've bought worse, I'm sure...

Disposeable income is dangerousssssss.

fertygo

What the fuck, Psycho-Pass got S2.. I didn't ask for this. Guess the story gonna goes total skynet to sybil.

Terminator Salvation : the anime series, its as terrible too.

Also that confirm publisher is happy for 5-7k disc seller.

cnet128

Banned
I think the Mermaid Suit would be more awesome if it looked more like a suit and less like a sock.

Best item is still the Roc's Cape, though. Why use any other item when I got that?

Nah. Best item is Switch Hook. It's my favourite equippable item in any Zelda game ever.

Roc's Feather/Cape is always a great item too though.

Syrinx

Date a Live 11

Why did Reine think that sending Tohka and Yoshino to the water park with Shido and Kotori would be a good idea?

A lot of people seem to dislike Origami, but I like the contrast between her incredibly cold demeanor and her insatiable lust for Shido. Makes for some funny moments.

cnet128

Banned
Date a Live 11

Why did Reine think that sending Tohka and Yoshino to the water park with Shido and Kotori would be a good idea?

I choose to believe it is because Yoshino in a swimsuit is glorious and right.

A lot of people seem to dislike Origami, but I like the contrast between her incredibly cold demeanor and her insatiable lust for Shido. Makes for some funny moments.

I can get behind this. Those few scenes where Origami goes all out with her Shidodesire are some of my favourite in this show. It's a pity Origami is so boring the rest of the time.

Quasar

The manga is probably fine. It doesnt go...there.

Oh. I don't really have an issue with that,

I mean I liked Koi Kaze. Depending on how its handled. And the people who warned me off said it was handled terribly in Usagi Drop. And certainly given the anime I just can't imagine Daikichi going there. But then with the anime I can't imagine anything else but Daikichi trying to have a relationship with Yukari.

As for Aishiteruze Baby...its certainly not a direction I could imagine.

More like Kippei and Kokoro becoming her new parents as is alluded to. But I guess the mother actually comes back and everything goes back to normal.

Attack on Titan 13.5

A recap with no new footage or nothing (beyond the swift preview), and eye catch with just a collage of the info things instead of a new one. I guess its great for hearing the best portions of the soundtrack (but used over some scenes that dont really match the feeling or tone of the song made for awkward moments (triumphant song of joy played over the scene of the titans grabbing people,
biting Eren
, etc). Only watched for the soundtrack and hearing Eren's melodious voice. Cant really see anyone else watching it...

cajunator

Banned
I choose to believe it is because Yoshino in a swimsuit is glorious and right.

I can get behind this. Those few scenes where Origami goes all out with her Shidodesire are some of my favourite in this show. It's a pity Origami is so boring the rest of the time.

Origami really sucks but she looks cute in a swimsuit.

Also I remember him saying he'd watch Madoka when he finished Utena, so it's not like he always hurts himself.
This is also a thing I am waiting with bated breath for.

Get hype

8jToRI9.png

please use this as banner

Sports anime have never really done well in the US. Even stuff that's really popular like Prince of Tennis and Hajime no Ippo never really lived up to expectations in the US. The same is true for most sports manga, as well.

Kuroko would be a risky pickup for release on DVD/Bluray, and it would probably also be fairly expensive to license due to how popular it is in Japan. I don't expect to see it for years, if ever.

It'll be the greatest (and probably expensive) thing if NISA picks this up years down later.

Dead

well not really...yet
My understanding is that Kyoda either came up with some the concepts or did some of the writing in addition to the director's role. He had some influence on the writing. Duckroll can clarify either way.
Kyoda and Sato pretty much both came up with the concept/story of the show as you see it on screen. Obviously people like Kawamori, Yoshida, etc, informed decisions along the way, but the final product is as much Kyoda as it is Sato. Even the music/cultural influences, which people would most likely credit 100% to Sato...Kyoda was just as much responsible for that aspect of the show. The only difference is that Sato considered the ending of the show definitive and did not feel it was necessary to revisit it as he accomplished what he set out to do. Kyoda obviously felt (still feels?) differently.

And its not just Kyoda who wasn't able to move on, just have to look at Masayuki Miyaji and Xam'd. He obviously wasn't able to let go in his own way either.

Is it due to the sports? I mean would a American Football manga do better?

No, it wouldn't. Eyeshield certainly didn't.

It is about the sports, though. Specifically, the fact that a lot of geeky anime fan type of people in the US have no interest in sports, and associate sports with the culture which beat them up in school. It doesn't really matter how good a sports anime is. There's a large section of the viewing audience in the US that is never going to even bother with a sports series.

If Funimation could get Attack on Titan, then is really Kuroko more expensive than that? They even have most of IG's other receive anime these past few seasons.

For viz to even get Cross Manage, and keep releasing Slam Dunk and the other...then I think there is still some interest here in the US for sports series.

I'm not saying it would be more expensive. Just that it would probably be at least sort of expensive, and would be almost guaranteed to sell horribly in the US based on precedent. There's a reason why the second season of Ookiku Furikabutte was never licensed, why the second season of Hajime no Ippo was never licensed and why Prince of Tennis released only about 25% of its episodes.

Sports manga are a different matter due to lower risk. It's easier to put out a low selling manga when you just need to be paying a small staff as opposed to a dubbing studio. Even then, none of the sports manga Viz have released have done particularly well. There's a reason they put Cross Game in omnibus format right from the start.

Syrinx

Date a Live 12-End

Last few episodes suffered from not enough Kurumi.

So this show was pretty stupid, but hell if I didn't enjoy it, and hell if I'm not watching Season 2.

Okay this is a harem-esque show, so I think I'm obligated to do one of them list things. Here goes:

Kurumi > Tohka > Reine > Kotori > Origami > Mana* > Yoshino

*could have been higher if she was there more. But she wasn't. So we'll never know.

jbug617

Banned
Date a Live 12-End

So this show was pretty stupid, but hell if I didn't enjoy it, and hell if I'm not watching Season 2.

Okay this is a harem-esque show, so I think I'm obligated to do one of them list things. Here goes:

*could have been higher if she was there more. But she wasn't. So we'll never know.

Season 2 is already confirmed. So we will get more

Oh no no no. What have I gotten into.

Something truly wonderful. Brace yourself Corvo, you are opening a door that has shone new light on those who haven't even watched anime before. Your reactions will make this thread special. Enjoy.

A world of joy.

You have to understand, Corvy, you're the only person here who is truly living in modern times. The rest of us are stuck in the Bronze Age, where there is no anime. We can't enjoy anime first-hand, we can only live vicariously through you.

Hey, I was the one who brought back KaminaGAF thanks to Gurren Lagann! Don't forget me!

CorvoSol

Majestic Prince 13

I was going to watch this show. Then I realized its a stupid piece of shit. It has horrible mecha that are only made worse by being in CG. It has the absolute MOST generic plot of any mech show like, ever. Its comedy is about as funny as listening to Daniel Tosh or ramming a ball point pen into my throat. I hate the cast. I can't stand Hirai's designs because I'm not 15 anymore. Nothing about this show is good, and it isn't a spectacular kind of bad worth making fun of.

Fuck you, Majestic Prince. Say hello to Rah Xephon, because you have now joined it in having the odious distinction of being a show I did not finish.

I'd offer advice, but there isn't anything that can be improved in your sucky show, so I don't care.

DROPPED.

Attack on Titan 13.5

AHAHAHAHA. IT'S A CLIP SHOW AND YOU DIDN'T EVEN HAVE THE BALLS TO CALL IT EPISODE 14. AHAHAHA WHAT ARE YOU FUCKING DOING WITH YOUR LIFE.

Kagami

No, it wouldn't. Eyeshield certainly didn't.

It is about the sports, though. Specifically, the fact that a lot of geeky anime fan type of people in the US have no interest in sports, and associate sports with the culture which beat them up in school. It doesn't really matter how good a sports anime is. There's a large section of the viewing audience in the US that is never going to even bother with a sports series.
I didn't used to have any interest but lately I've found myself enjoying sports anime.

FelixOrion

Poet Centuriate
So I can't watch a lot of anime right now, but once I finish up Le Chevailer D'Eon and The Count of Monte Cristo I'm gonna go on a mad sampling spree of shows.

So ill be needing recs in the semi-near future

fertygo

Monogatari - 01

Look to all dat short hair and :SDburton

Thank you based SHAFT etc, show of the season.

Nutella < OG Utena. Her hat looks like something from an old Archie comic.
So its pretty damn cool?

Jarmel

Banned
Kyoda and Sato pretty much both came up with the concept/story of the show as you see it on screen. Obviously people like Kawamori, Yoshida, etc, informed decisions along the way, but the final product is as much Kyoda as it is Sato. Even the music/cultural influences, which people would most likely credit 100% to Sato...Kyoda was just as much responsible for that aspect of the show. The only difference is that Sato considered the ending of the show definitive and did not feel it was necessary to revisit it as he accomplished what he set out to do. Kyoda obviously felt (still feels?) differently.

And its not just Kyoda who wasn't able to move on, just have to look at Masayuki Miyaji and Xam'd. He obviously wasn't able to let go in his own way either.

The whole damn thing is a sad affair. Sato hasn't done anything of note (no Gyrozetter doesn't qualify) and just seems to be languishing. I wish Kyoda had gone on 'retirement' a long time ago. It's sad too because they could have done a lot with a prequel that captured the vibes of the show. The games padded out into an anime would have been decent. Instead Kyoda keeps going back to the well. Even a new IP with Sato would be worth hyping up. The whole thing is just sad.

As for Miyaji, the concepts were there and it seemed he wanted to tell a darker E7. He was just let down in his own abilities, the scriptwriters, and mainly the number of episodes the show had. If the show had been a solid 50 then I think it could have been something special.

cnet128

Banned
As for Miyaji, the concepts were there and it seemed he wanted to tell a darker E7. He was just let down in his own abilities, the scriptwriters, and mainly the number of episodes the show had. If the show has been a solid 50 then I think it could have been something special.

...The thought of watching twice as many episodes of Eureka Seven AO actually scares me.

cajunator

Banned
Date a Live 12-End

Thats a fairly decent ranking except Yoshino is toooooo low!

Articalys

Oh, for the benefit of those people who are being sane and not watching Shingeki no Recap, the episode did have one redeeming feature:
I was trying to figure out where I'd seen that style before, so I looked it up and turns out it's the same original designer for Tari Tari.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom