• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Summer 2013 Anime Thread Zero: grown men playing with dolls/who but WB Masochism

Status
Not open for further replies.
A Certain Magical Index - Episodes 1-2

Ok so episode 1 was a pretty great introduction. I think it's cool to see a character with bad luck, and the VA for Index is pretty great (If she talks a lot in can get a little annoying sometimes). I don't understand the whole science and magic thing, but I'm guessing it'll sort itself out eventually.

Episode 2 had some decent action in it, though Touma's ability isn't a very interesting one. Which I do have something to say about this episode. First of all what the heck on their teacher! She's a little girl who's an adult (who smokes and drinks btw), and your telling me that the fire guy looks badass as heck but
gets scared off when he can't use his fire magic. That's really stupid that a full grown adult male doesn't know how to brawl, let alone scared of a teenager charging at him.
I guess that's anime logic for you. This whole teacher thing reminds me of that anime I watched about the student living with 5 of his teachers and one of them was a little girl (forgot the name).

You mean Touma? Yes, he's still in Railgun but less important since he's not punching enough lolis in there.

That's disheartening, I've only seen 2 episodes but i quite like him.

madp

The Light of El Cantare
Sailor Moon Stars 180:

Haruka
, stop being a meathead. Have you already forgotten where being a distrusting lone wolf got you in
---------S-----------
?

That telephone sequence at the beginning was brilliant and it's a shame that the whole episode couldn't have been that fun. Igarashi finally shows that he can do comedic stuff on par with Satou and Ikuhara and now the show's almost over :(

Devils and Realist 1

So much :dtl: I'm drowning in it, seriously though this is a pretty awesome show with a good balance of humor and action that keeps things moving. Will be interesting to see how long they drag the "I don't believe in this" shenanigans going for

I need my upper body fix!

But you got it already.

tamako_market-05-tamayrsxu.jpg

jbug617

Banned
Spoiler on Kuroko no Basket
There is going to be a couple of females in Kuroko no Basket S2. One of them will please Chet very much

Mature

Of course you'd think it was that simple. But there's much more to good character design than just making them men. Some designers think that the main character should be old or ugly, and that doesn't make sense. Who wants to watch an old guy do old guy things? That breaks obvious rules of good character design.

I've prepared a practical example of good (on the right) and bad (on the left) character design:

nier-replicant-gestalt.png
I'd take old ugly nier over young pretty boy nier any day of the week.

A Certain Magical Index - Episode 3

Yeah now I remember the reason why I dropped this anime around this episode. Everything in this anime is confusing as heck, there's too many organizations and church's, I don't know what an esper is, and they keep putting more complicated stuff behind powers. Not to mention that they keep explaining everything in one burst of a conversation. When they start talking about science and magic in these long boring conversations I usually get distracted or doze off, which isn't good. Also the show can be quite contradicting at times. Like Touma isn't supposed to be walking around at night because the robots specifically said "all students return home NOW it is curfew and you can't be out." He and the middle schooler have been out at night several times with nothing happening, that's so contradicting! This makes me appreciate One Piece's power logics.

Luffy: "Woah that guy just blew up that building."
Guy: "Oh I ate the explode-explode fruit."
Me: "THANK YOU!!! I UNDERSTAND NOW!"

Toumo: "How'd he use fire like that."
Index: "He uses runes which are placed in the area to summon a demon, this is caused becaue our two worlds are different and that's magic which is not from this world. If those runes are destroyed then the fire magic cannot be summoned to this world."
Me: "........"

(These make no sense and have nothing to do with either of these shows but they were just examples, btw I seriously don't know how magic works on here I just said whatever sounds good)

I'm not sure if i can get through the rest of this :(
I'll try one more episode and if it isn't good, I'll try out Toriko and keep watching HxH 2011 instead.

High School DxD New 1

BOOBS!!!
That is how the show starts.
Also the Rias and Asia competition never is going to end is it
Overall I think this episode was more about getting familiar with the cast and teasing some new characters for the season.

Tier List:
Akeno
Rias
Koneko
Asia
Answer to spoiler :
No , they will reach a stable state however..Right now in the books rias is 1st wife ( legal ) and asia is the second wife.. how many wives in total ? at least 6 with 5 more already in place to be added .. that's clearly the path to a harem king.

A Certain Magical Index - Episodes 1-2

Ok so episode 1 was a pretty great introduction. I think it's cool to see a character with bad luck, and the VA for Index is pretty great (If she talks a lot in can get a little annoying sometimes). I don't understand the whole science and magic thing, but I'm guessing it'll sort itself out eventually.

Episode 2 had some decent action in it, though Touma's ability isn't a very interesting one. Which I do have something to say about this episode. First of all what the heck on their teacher! She's a little girl who's an adult (who smokes and drinks btw), and your telling me that the fire guy looks badass as heck but
gets scared off when he can't use his fire magic. That's really stupid that a full grown adult male doesn't know how to brawl, let alone scared of a teenager charging at him.
I guess that's anime logic for you. This whole teacher thing reminds me of that anime I watched about the student living with 5 of his teachers and one of them was a little girl (forgot the name).

That's disheartening, I've only seen 2 episodes but i quite like him.
Just so you know : the loli teacher is actually older than the mage guy .. no i'm not kidding.
And most mages actually suck when they can't use magic because 99.999% of them rely on said magic too much

A Certain Magical Index - Episode 3

Yeah now I remember the reason why I dropped this anime around this episode. Everything in this anime is confusing as heck, there's too many organizations and church's, I don't know what an esper is, and they keep putting more complicated stuff behind powers. Not to mention that they keep explaining everything in one burst of a conversation. When they start talking about science and magic in these long boring conversations I usually get distracted or doze off, which isn't good. This makes me appreciate One Piece's power logics.

Luffy: "Woah that guy just blew up that building."
Guy: "Oh I ate the explode-explode fruit."
Me: "THANK YOU!!! I UNDERSTAND NOW!"

Toumo: "How'd he use fire like that."
Index: "He uses runes which are placed in the area to summon a demon, this is caused becaue our two worlds are different and that's magic which is not from this world. If those runes are destroyed then the fire magic cannot be summoned to this world."
Me: "........"

(These make no sense and have nothing to do with either of these shows but they were just examples, btw I seriously don't know how magic works on here I just said whatever sounds good)

I'm not sure if i can get through the rest of this :(
I'll try one more episode and if it isn't good, I'll try out Toriko and keep watching HxH 2011 instead.

The magic part of the index franchise is quite complicated , but you can find enjoyment if you don't try to process all the information at once.

Of course you'd think it was that simple. But there's much more to good character design than just making them men. Some designers think that the main character should be old or ugly, and that doesn't make sense. Who wants to watch an old guy do old guy things? That breaks obvious rules of good character design.

I've prepared a practical example of good (on the right) and bad (on the left) character design:

nier-replicant-gestalt.png

bunk-the-wire.gif

Playing Nier as Dad was a fucking genius character design, something few games do and do well. The brother perspective is just SE pandering to Japan and there bizarre obsession with younger sisters, not to mention the character looks like your generic emo, FF/anime protagonist.

Well, I always thought the term 'hand-drawn' isn't the most exactly adequate for that; CGI is hand-drawn after all, from pencil tests to CG modeling done by hand, obviously... but I have the impression that he is talking in a sense of CG models being animated although not necessarily needing to be actually drawn for every frame of every cut from a scene, just key-framed. So, "all hand-drawn" in that case would mean that every element in the scene (composited into) has been drawn from scratch for it, or that is what I try to infer/interpret out of those words!

An oldie but classic comparison, translated from one made at 2ch:

Thanks for this! This post was really informative :)

I can't believe an episode of freaking SpongeBob costs over 5 times more than an episode of One Piece, and that's even with outsourcing animation.

fertygo

bunk-the-wire.gif

Playing Nier as Dad was a fucking genius character design, something few games do and do well. The brother perspective is just SE pandering to Japan and there bizarre obsession with younger sisters, not to mention the character looks like your generic emo, FF/anime protagonist.

Dude, its can't more obvious than that.

Btw I need to get new PS3 to play Nier.

Tenumi

Banned
DokiDoki Precure!: 23 + Halfway Point Impressions (Contains Spoilers)

So we get to see
Cure Ace's
normal form, and introduce two new villians. Mana feels despair, and the hearts of our young maidens have been shown betrayal. It looks like it'll take some time for the characters to get back over the hump and start kicking some butt again.

Its been a wild ride so far, and yet, here I am at the edge of my seat waiting for the next step. I'll admit, DokiDoki isn't really anything above average, but to me, that's OK. I want entertainment, and I'm getting it.

This season has brought some controversial characters to the mix, none more than Mana. The leader of this season's Precure, she does have a bit of a stronger feel that really hasn't been present in the Precure seasons I watched (Though is always present in the Super Sentai that I watch). In contrast, the others haven't had as many moments to shine, which has made them look weaker.

Regina.... Where to begin. A villian, an ally, then back to a villian. I feel like this isn't the end, that there is more to her that hasn't been seen. The future final villian? A 6th Precure? I don't know, and it interests me to find out.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom