• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Summer 2013 Anime Thread Zero: grown men playing with dolls/who but WB Masochism

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ambitious

Black Butler 24

Well, I don't have much to say, actually. It's certainly not among my top 5 anime, but I enjoyed it. It's just a shame I never got to see Sebastians true form. The teasing in one of the first few episodes was so mean ("I didn't want to use this technique, but you leave me no choice" - *throws jacket*).

Anyway, I was about to start watching the second season but I just read that it's about a new master-butler duo. I should have expected this though, as Ciel's story has concluded properly. Also, there are many bad reviews of S2 on MyAnimeList. That's disappointing, I kinda don't feel like watching it anymore.

I guess I'll skip it and watch FMA instead. Opinions on whether FMA or FMA:B is better seem to be split more or less equally, so I'll see both.

wonzo

Banned
Compare and contrast:
kingdom161.png

ixj9scc3sWdWX.gif

fertygo

rozen maiden - zurückspulen - 02
I expect to drop this in this eps, but man its actually interesting and captivating. Will continue to watch for sure.

I guess I'll skip it and watch FMA instead. Opinions on whether FMA or FMA:B is better seem to be split more or less equally, so I'll see both.

My love for FMA:B knows no bounds. I watched all of the original series back in the day and wasn't very fond of it, so I actually put off Brotherhood for a long time.

A friend convinced me that I should give it a shot, and I fell in love with the series.

Theonik

パシフィック・リム

Opening action was a little incomprehensible, story was thinner than I'd have liked, and the downtime was kinda eccentric. That's all immaterial though as I went to see one thing.
I left the theater feeling like a god damn child as I couldn't help but giggle excitedly to myself any time a jaeger was onscreen doing jaeger things.

all hail our cg mecha future, aoty, etc
So jealous.

C3-buuuuu[/b]
http://i.imgur.com/QndNvKJl.jpg
She should have been voiced by Kobayashi. God damn casting companies, what the hell are you doing?!
It's pretty obvious they suck. Alternatively she should have been voiced by Yuki Matsuoka. She also reminds me I need to finish DoREMI

And of course, why would you even want a bolt-action sniper when you're shooting gas-powered bb's? Japan, man.
Bolt-action Airsoft guns have diffrent internals and are usually pretty powerful while they have to be limited for use in most ranges.

Accurate airsoft guns still make no sense to me.

What's the point of a p90 magazine when it's all BBs anyway?
Look and feel is still important and not all airsoft is made equal.

Natsume Book of Friends s1 END

Second disc had the best moments of the series fully redeeming the ending episodes of the first seven episodes on disc one and really making this shine. Natori Shuichi is a vital component to the cast and has really cool abilities to match his dazzling good looks. I like how he sticks arounds and lends Natsume a hand as well as even Kaname too, friendship bond moment in 13 was probably the highlight of the whole anime, bringing things together well and getting me to really check out more.

The stories here were compelling
Natsume having the girl in him led to funny moments like when Kitamoto bumped into him and then started blushing at Natsume for that or even Kaname too later on, I was laughing, and then the concluding aspect of the harp. Then the other story there with actually gaining more friends to add to the book was unforgettable.
. It was just really feel good and what not. 9 / 10.
If you enjoyed S1 that much , i'll tell you now , the next seasons are even better !!
It's awesome.

Nyanko-sensei is awesome..
----
The fact that Jesus Yamato and Lacus still haunt this list shall forever baffle me. Also, Saber and Eren? Really? I though Eren was one of the most universally hated protagonists in recent memory. Saber goes without saying, as she's just terrible.
I disagree on saber but i honnestly don't understand how she managed to stay popular this long.
Compare and contrast:
ixj9scc3sWdWX.gif

I'm dying of laughter.
Kingdom horses have more power & stability than the basara horses

/XX/

Typically, for DVD sales to be high enough to provide the possibility of a second series, they have to hit around the 3k mark right? Or was it higher?
there is no standard, every series is going to be different.
Dunno exactly. Differs per series.
I think that's true, there are many variables that could change per series (licensing, merchandising, promotion for other works like graphical novels). In general terms and talking directly about earnings derived from digital disc products, not too long ago ufotable's president Hikaru Kondō mentioned sales in the order of 10,000 copies as a sure sign of profitability (http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=47329495&postcount=11740).

Said that, many have used for a long time a baseline to at least try in making estimations of a break even point for typical TV series, and that is the 'Manabi Line' (まなびライン), in honor of (also ufotable's) Manabi Straight! show and its 2,899 first volume sales that on average would have been considered enough to cover costs, as it was explained.

All this is too fickle to rely on as every project seems to be a world in itself, but you can try to make some approximations thanks to it!

Faye Valentine? Lina Inverse? Rei Ayanami? Girl-side Ranma? Paprika? She's one of the most prolific voice actresses in anime.
And singer! 'Give a reason' continues to be like the hymn of a generation for many around these parts:

Slayers Megumix - Give a reason - Normal & Karaoke Versions - YouTube
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Gj1KSFm_pwk

From 'Memories of Paradise' (I'm sorry that there isn't a better quality version of the official Masayuki directed MV for online streaming) to 'Treat or Goblins', there is a bit of range for Ms. Hayashibara!

Quasar

Silver Spoon #1 - Quite liked this, though I didn't realise it was a school show. Whilst terribly cliched the whole chicken and eggs thing did amuse me.

Theonik

The Skullman 11
iupgeF3uCibzG.png

*DresdenAvatarQuote*
So we get the Skullman's identity that should surprise no-one. Some awesome action to boot. This is getting positively awesome now.
I be MC dude now is The Skullman now and the priest died in the explosion.

1) Date A Live
DAL at #1? Newtype voters confirmed for god tier taste, irreprehensible judges of quality entertainment, etc

1) Tohka Yatogami
5) Kotori Itsuka
8) Yoshino
No Kurumi? Newtype voters confirmed for shit tier taste, pathetic narrow minded otaku who wouldn't know a waifu if she lifted up her skirt in front of them, etc

I'm assuming she hadn't shown up in DAL when the voting was done.

Episode the Seventh
Damn, this fight scene is so good. Kinda expected Blue to lose her mind here, though.

That fight scene was perfect for the atmosphere of the show.
You can't see any of the features on the girls, almost as if they're being drained of who they are by this whole thing. Sayaka's madness and Madoka begging her to stop took my breath away when I first saw it.

Gurren Hen pt. 2

I was literally in denial for like, five episodes after the first time I saw
Kamina die.
It's just that big of a wham to the gut. What I'd forgotten was the absolutely brutal beatdown Simon lays on some Gunmen before he goes over that cliffside and meets
Nia.

I actually sort of knew that Kamina was going to die sometime in the series, as I noticed a quick rip Kamina in Youtube comments of the show's opening ugh. But I was expecting him to make some heroic sacrifice in like, the final five episodes or something. Killing him off in episode 8 made the whole thing much more shocking.

Silver Spoon 1
Does this stay focused on farm stuff or does it become more of a character drama/romance? This episode was solid enough, there wasn't anything outstanding about it or particularly bad, it feels like a show that will be good because of its source material and not anything the anime itself brings to the table.

Kurita

Silver Spoon 1
Does this stay focused on farm stuff or does it become more of a character drama/romance? This episode was solid enough, there wasn't anything outstanding about it or particularly bad, it feels like a show that will be good because of its source material and not anything the anime itself brings to the table.

It's a mix of both.

Westlo

No Kurumi? Newtype voters confirmed for shit tier taste, pathetic narrow minded otaku who wouldn't know a waifu if she lifted up her skirt in front of them, etc

That should be the case, we'll find out with next months poll.

lol @ worst girl not making the list even though she's been in the show from the start.

wonzo

Banned
c3budget 2

c3bu2.jpg

I never though I'd say this but the sheer shittyness of the "action" scenes (and just how cheap everything was, good god) in this episode made the gunfights in Jormungand look competent. What a terrible show.

dropped harder than the overall talent pool of gainax

Jarmel

Banned
Silver Spoon 1

Mostly stays focused on farm stuff. There isn't that much character drama at all. I view Silver Spoon as Arakawa's vacation after FMA.

trejo

Nerawareta Gakuen

I'm finding it a little difficult to rate this film properly because for at least the first third of it I was totally engrossed in the story. A polygonal romance with some fantasy elements, excellent production values, solid direction and a potential for :firehawk that was positively off the charts not to mention some strong Tokikake vibes? Yes please. However, some very visible chinks started to appear once the story took a turn for a slightly more kid friendly version of
Invasion of the Body Snatchers
and, well, I'm not sure how but at some point either I or it completely lost the plot and I was left scratching my head trying in to make sense of things. Now I don't consider myself a particularly stupid person but in this case I would appreciate if someone could explain the ending to me seeing as the film didn't really feel the need to do so. That whole business about
Ken dying and Natsuki giving up her psychic ability in order to bring him back except maybe not?
just up and went straight over my head and I get the feeling that there's a whole mess of backstory here regarding
Kogyoku's dad and Ken's grandpa
that this film assumes the viewer already has a familiarity with and I feel that in doing so it does itself a disservice because what it had going on at first was just so much better.

In the end, I did have some fun with this, the characters were enjoyable and it did have some very nice scenes and yet I can't help but walk away from this film somewhat disappointed at what could have been.

But hey, at least the best girl won.

DAL at #1? Newtype voters confirmed for god tier taste, irreprehensible judges of quality entertainment, etc

That's probably the case ..it's the only way to explain such results.

fertygo

Majestic Prince - 14
SEED mode activated.

Fuck yeah motherfucker, the action scene make not dropping this mediocre show worth it.

C3 2

Music is the ONLY good thing about this show and luckily this time it's not just in the battle sequences. Sadly that's enough for me to keep watching at least until I can hear the OST somewhere. Some Miyuki Sawashiro was a nice bonus too.

Love Lab 2

Feels like it's been ages since I've been treated to a good villain who does things out of boredom, is there a trope for that? Also confession time, I never got into Yuru yuri and dropped it like 3 episodes in, this show is way better and doesn't need goggles to make the most of watching it. Do the AOTY winners have categories? Because this and Senyuu are definitely contenders for comedy AOTY for me.

cajunator

Banned

Episode the Seventh

Wow, "You didn't ask." has got to be the most cliche demon response of all time. I mean yeah, the girls are fools for making deals with Satan for incredibly cheap reasons, but that's not exactly detracting from his being the literal embodiment of evil and deceit.

HOLY SHIT. THE CREDITS HAVEN'T EVEN ROLLED. HOLY SHIT.

Kyube is TORTURING A TEENAGE GIRL. HOLY SHIT. I WAS JOKING MAN. Stop, stop! She's already dead! HAHAHAHAHAHA. So basically Kyube has just abused a teenage girl and told her she is his bitch and he is her pimp. He's all "I granted your wish and now you're gonna put out." I was not expecting this show to have a metaphor for forced child prostitution, but there it is.

Was that split second of Kyube just a fluke of my video player? Or was that intentional? Oh God no its Eversion the animated series! "Why would Kyube do something so cruel?" REALLY MADOKA? REALLY!? Maybe Kyube DID need to abuse Blue, since it is apparent that at the very least Madoka is so fucking stupid that she cannot tell that KYUBE IS PURE FUCKING EVIL even after discovering that he FORCIBLY REMOVES THE SOULS OF GIRLS, lures them in with promises of wishes, and ENCOURAGES THEM TO LET PEOPLE DIE SO THEY CAN GET BETTER AT KILLING PEOPLE.

You're being physically tortured by a demon who tore your soul out, and your major concern is for angsty violin boy? UUUUUUUGH. Maybe Red SHOULD have killed you.

Nevermind, Red wasted her wish, to. You could've at least wished "make people understand him" and not "try to understand." I mean jeez, what kind of half assed wish did you sell your soul for, kiddo? Dramatic consumption of an apple ensues.

UNNECESSARY LOVE TRIANGLE APPROACHES. WHAT DO YOU DO?
>Wangst
>Take a Third Option
>The Archie Classic
>BAD END

Is there no way to tell Kyube to just fuck off? I mean, yes, I have to collect Grief Seeds for a reason or something. Why do you need to be around when I'm not on the clock, you freaky cat rabbit demon?

Wow. You REALLY did not think this whole selling your soul to the devil to help out a guy in a temporary way at all, did you Blue? Don't worry, it isn't like Madoka is learning from your bad decision, here.

Damn, this fight scene is so good. Kinda expected Blue to lose her mind here, though.

For the sake of not spoiling a damned thing Ill just say hang on this rollercoaster has just begun.

Well I mean, shouldn't the people responsible be the ones who made the show?

But I can't stop watching Bunny Drop! It's too good to stay away from!

I know Corvy kun. Its addictive soulfood anime. It feels so pure and right watching it because there isnt much anime that is unblemished to that degree.
I would suggest continuing with Aishiteruze baby which was very similar albeit a significant step down in production quality. It will fill your heart with the same happy contentedness.

Beautiful. Everything's going to start to come together soon and it shall be glorious.

Also I will be watching Millennium Actress.

...tomorrow. So thanks for the recommendation, cajun!

That movie is a real joy to watch.
it has an old school style animation to it yet doesnt plod. It has an energy throughout, held in balance by Satoshi kon's masterful blending of reality and fantasy to the point where its difficult to differentiate them.

This season has too much moe and little girls, it makes me sick.

She really does look like Saya.

Jubern

Silver Spoon 1

Oh god, they actually got the same actor as Armstrong to do his professor lookalike ahah

I'm very happy with this adaptation. I really like the original manga and this episode did justice to the source material IMO.

cajunator

Banned
C3-bu keeps reminding me how pissed off I am that airsoft isn't legal in Australia.

Its illegal? Whaaaaat?!

Lol this is a pretty great depiction of reactions to this. Some will prefer Tohka, Kotori, or Kurumi for various reasons but its obvious how much better those three are than everybody else. Except maybe Reine. Because Reine is exemplary.

The meganebu! character designs are wonderful. Best two. The cast descriptions and etc are nice too.
tumblr_mptt2nOogU1qbxqfpo1_400.png
tumblr_mptt2nOogU1qbxqfpo2_1280.png

Akira Souma (club captain): Kenji Akabane
Mitsuki Kamatani (adorable lil’ brother type who adores Akira.: Kouki Miyata
Takuma Hachimine (‘my pace’ type): Atsushi Tamaru
Yukiya Minabe (mysterious shy boy): Junichi Suwabe
Hayato Kimata (wears glasses for show only): Ryohei Kimura

Theonik

The Skullman 13 -END-
iOSHQoBuDnUA8.png
ibccTUHFghh2IZ.png
iZUl8mzfvK9wP.png

[REDACTED]
They really stepped up the Sakuga tenfold for the finale. That was pretty awesome.
Then the actual ending kicks in
usual teaser bollocks for sequels that never happen
and you can't help but shrug a bit. But the rest of it was fine and I'm used to that crap by now so it's fine. One bit I didn't get was that
best girl has a kid, with who? I'm pretty sure nothing happened. That was a bit of a tease, and the skulman is evil working for the Xmen rip-off? I'll resist looking at the manga though.
I give this series a Skullman/things

Chronoexe

I cannot ever hate Jesus and Haman Khan. Terminal is drawing a blank with me. Shinn might have been just a really angry kid when he was bitching at Cagalli and she was just taking it even though he was hilariously wrong and stupid and idiotic, but when he like, legit cums everywhere inside his cockpit after
"killing Kira"
then jizzes over to Athrun and is all "you should be happy". That was enough for me.

There are a lot of bad characters in SEED's universe, no denyin', but ain't nobody allowed to fuck with Athrun Zala.

That sounds really cool.

And that's why i love how Athrun
beat the shit out of Shinn
at the ending of destiny, I play that part like 10 times every time I re-watch SEED.

e_i

From the last Little Witch Academia kickstarter email:

Greetings! Again, a big thank you to all of our supporters! We definitely did not expect to achieve the goal in just one day. We were even skeptical of reaching our first goal within 30 days. We did not want to make our supporters wait, and we feel that we were short on explanation with our first stretch goal.

Although we did explain that it is difficult to extend the episode length past 40 minutes for Little Witch Academia 2, that does not mean we plan to end it with just this episode! We too are aspiring for a TV series and a full length film! However, it will take many years to reach this goal. We want to see Akko and her friends move in full action, and explore further into their world. Can't we all agree on that? Our first goal is to produce a 40 minute episode of LWA2. After that, we want to aim for furth er goal such as a television series or a full length film!

Awesome. They didn't think they get the money. Do they know how fucking popular this anime is?

cnet128

Banned
From the last Little Witch Academia kickstarter email:

Awesome. They didn't think they get the money. Do they know how fucking popular this anime is?

And I'd actually support them if they would add a freaking HD download reward tier. But no, it's SD download or physical Blu-Ray, and I cannot be bothered with SD stuff or physical stuff.

Theonik

And I'd actually support them if they would add a freaking HD download reward tier. But no, it's SD download or physical Blu-Ray, and I cannot be bothered with SD stuff or physical stuff.
Excuses! You can always buy the BD and make it digital yourself!

Narag

The Skullman 13 -END-

They really stepped up the Sakuga tenfold for the finale. That was pretty awesome.
Then the actual ending kicks in
usual teaser bollocks for sequels that never happen
and you can't help but shrug a bit. But the rest of it was fine and I'm used to that crap by now so it's fine. One bit I didn't get was that
best girl has a kid, with who? I'm pretty sure nothing happened. That was a bit of a tease, and the skulman is evil working for the Xmen rip-off? I'll resist looking at the manga though.
I give this series a Skullman/things

I would have loved his take on Cyborg 009

wonzo

Banned
I'm not expecting anything good to come out of this unless Ufotable hire someone to completely rewrite the bloody thing,

So it's a remake of the Fate and not Heaven's Feel? Meh. I was at least hoping to see them animate that boss rush at the end of HF. I can't say I care much beyond that.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom