• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Summer 2013 Anime Thread Zero: grown men playing with dolls/who but WB Masochism

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sparrow's Hotel 12

Oddly enough I enjoyed running through a bunch of episodes at once rather than watching it weekly.

Miyakawa-ke no Kuufuku 09

Tsundere shotas.

cnet128

Banned
Katanagatari 11

Again I'm nearly a week late watching this episode, but perhaps that's for the best, since it means less time between this episode and the conclusion. Since this episode ended on something of a cliffhanger, this seems appropriate.

Shit seems to be getting pretty real at this point, as one might expect from the penultimate episode. Relatively little of the episode was spent on the actual confrontation between Shichika and the wielder of this episode's blade. Instead, the episode started off with a mega-flashback (as in, hundreds of years), to the first meeting of Yasuri Kazune, Shichika's ancestor, and Shikizaki Kiki, the man behind the blades. As we learned last episode, this is the meeting that would result in
the founding of the Swordless Style, Shikizaki's final and ultimate "blade"
. Which makes it a pretty intriguing scene to watch.

Then it's back to the present, and we see the events leading up to the scene from the end of last episode, where Shichika and Togame found Maniwa Penguin lying injured by the roadside. Turns out he was injured by none other than
his own master, Maniwa Houou himself, who had become possessed by the Poison Blade during a confrontation with the ever-enigmatic Emonzaemon. I'm still not entirely sure what the deal is with those two - in their fight in this episode, there were some cryptic words exchanged about how they are somehow the same person, and they certainly seem to share a lot of history and use essentially the same techniques.
At any rate, it was a remarkable fight.

But with Houou possessed by the Poison Blade and himself badly injured, Penguin has no choice but to ask for aid from Shichika and Togame. Enemies of the Maniwa though they are, they take pity on Penguin and treat his wounds, and are of course all too happy to go after Houou, since the blade possessing him is one of the two they still need to collect.

Soon after Shichika and Togame leave to find Houou, Emonzaemon shows up in the room they just left, continuing his apparent mission to eliminate all the Maniwa. Penguin reveals his ninja ability - superhuman good luck - which at first seems like a perfect counter to the Flame Blade (read: dual handguns) that Emonzaemon wields: the bullets simply refuse to hit their target!

Unfortunately, it seems like Emonzaemon has a certain amount of confidence in his own good fortune, and by ricocheting bullets around the room he succeeds in overturning Penguin's good luck and hitting home with three bullets at once. And then in one of the most out-and-out brutal moments I've seen in this show, he
shoves a gun straight into Penguin's mouth and fires
. Goddamn this guy is heartless.

So though they don't know it, by the time Shichika and Togame come face to face with Houou, their opponent for this week is the last living member of the Maniwa Ninja. Except...he's really not quite himself. In fact, he's been possessed by none other than the Shikizaki Kiki. You know, the guy who made that cursed sword he's wielding. And the other eleven blades. And Shichika's own fighting style. No pressure, then.

The meat of this encounter is actually taken up by Shikizaki's exposition, in which he notably reveals that
he can see into the future, and all of his swords were created using appropriated future technology
. What in the actual fuck. Well, I guess it does explain how there are guns and a freaking robot among his blades.

The actual fight itself is actually remarkably straightforward and brief. Shikizaki tries to take on Shichika using
fighting styles FROM THE FUTURE
, but the Swordless Style proves categorically superior, and Shichika deals him a fatal finisher in next to no time. Since Shikizaki invented the Swordless Style, I guess this is, in a way, a case of the student surpassing the master.

And with the Poison Blade recovered, we jump straight into a confrontation with Emonzaemon and his Flame Blade. Not really one for small talk, he promptly
fires two bullets straight into Togame

Ohhhhh boy. You just made Shichika angry. I don't think you'll like him when he's angry.

To Be Continued.

325670-oreimo___10__24_.jpg

Ayase! It's been so long!

Oreimo 10

Goddamn, at the leg strength behind her kick. I don't even think she needs a knife if she wants to get rid of Kyosuke.

Pleased to know she has a manipulative side as well. Fooling her friend into doing the dirty work is pretty low but that Kanako girl is seriously arrogant. She does have a good singing voice and they did manage to win the prize in the end though.

And Kyosuke looks so suave with his hair back. He should really keep that look.

It's not my birthday yet. In fact it's next month. My brother bought me a birthday gift early. I'm extremely thankful. It's my first figure. Thank you brother of mine.

More pictures now that I unwrapped it.

Did nobody told you kayos ?

That's a slippery slope !

Your first fig is a very nice event a great feelign and you won't be able to resist once the next fig you want will appear for preorder.

Start making place for the other figs ...you're already doomed.

Syrinx

Date a Live 7

A new spirit who's a seductive mass murderer who eats people and can regenerate after being killed, and a secret little sister for Shido who works for the AST.

Yep, another day at the office for Date a Live.

cajunator

Banned
Lots of GitS fans are people who don't even watch anime normally. That's probably part of his point. Outside of Japan, the franchise actually appeals to people who don't watch anime, which is a valid paying audience. Unlike anime fans. :p

Hey now...some of us pay. In fact somehow Im paying for Crunchyroll subscription and I dont even remember signing up!

Who Posted? Total Posts: 1,743
User Name Posts
cajunator 175
Kirbyguy 88
Theonik 64

Cajun on pace for like 6000 posts this summer.

No way in hell. But possibly a 1500 post season. Im feelin it.

Oreimo 10

Goddamn, at the leg strength behind her kick. I don't even think she needs a knife if she wants to get rid of Kyosuke.

Pleased to know she has a manipulative side as well. Fooling her friend into doing the dirty work is pretty low but that Kanako girl is seriously arrogant. She does have a good singing voice and they did manage to win the prize in the end though.

And Kyosuke looks so suave with his hair back. He should really keep that look.

Ayase is the best kind of yandere. Shes still #2 though.

Did nobody told you kayos ?

That's a slippery slope !

Your first fig is a very nice event a great feelign and you won't be able to resist once the next fig you want will appear for preorder.

Start making place for the other figs ...you're already doomed.

This is very true.
Its a habit that is very difficult to break.

Branduil

K-On! 4:

This is obscenely early for a beach episode, but if the show is going at the pace of roughly 1 episode = 1 month for the club, this would be the logical place for a beach episode to go if the school year begins in April. As far as beach episodes go, this was relatively classy and cliche-free, so I can't complain; it was clearly not a slapdash or throwaway episode because there were several standout moments in terms of direction, use of perspective, etc. The pyrotechnic scene had some lovely effects animation and was fairly overt in its :firehawk, and I especially liked the shots that used space to emphasize a sense of "aloneness" in the garage immediately before Mio chokes back tears of frustration that none of the other girls are as motivated to practice as she is.

The great thing is that these snippets of genuine emotion are not simply there to add artificial depth to the characters, but are their own little narrative threads that receive actual resolution; at the end of the episode, Mio's fears are allayed when Yui demonstrates actual improvement in her guitar skills and thanks Mio for her leadership. Beneath all of the goofing off there is actual characterization in K-On!, and this episode did a good job of painting Mio as a responsible person.

The entire light music club would be so screwed if they didn't have a 1% bailing them out at every turn, though :lol Who the hell has a beach house full of expensive audio equipment just because?

Also, I don't remember Yui and Ritsu being this chummy in previous episodes. Kind of feels like Ritsu lost a few IQ points somewhere.

Mugi is really rich, but it's pretty obvious that they're all at least upper-middle-class.

K-on is all about the banality of the bourgeoisie, really.

wonzo

Banned
Mugi is really rich, but it's pretty obvious that they're all at least upper-middle-class.

They even have that episode where they work to raise money for something I already forgotsteal jobs from the filthy poors.

Eden of the East 04 - Real Reality, Fabricated Reality
Akira inexplicably suicides off the bridge but isn't hurt because Anime or he's a superhuman or space ghosts or something. Speaking of Space Ghosts, there are a bunch of creepy skeleton space ghosts down in the bomb crater and they swarm Akira and lick him and then bite him and then he has a massive meltdown about how they're "useless bastards"... actually none of this happened, he just jumped down a few feet and hallucinated it all wait what?

I didn't quite understand that moment in the show as well. From what I recall, they never reference back to it either. What a bizarre scene.

Toukiden PV

5KupNdol.png

Lots of talking, some decent action, ugly CG monster, cherry blossom petals, archer action.

It's like everything I ever asked for!

madp

The Light of El Cantare
They even have that episode where they work to raise money for something I already forgotsteal jobs from the filthy poors.

I think that was like the second episode. And then Mugi threatens to get the guy running the music store fired unless he takes a loss on his own merchandise. When it comes down to it, she's kind of evil.

Gross. I know you're joking, but now I'm going to have to actively avoid interpreting everything through this lens in order to keep enjoying it.

Syrinx

I think that was like the second episode. And then Mugi threatens to get the guy running the music store fired unless he takes a loss on his own merchandise anyway. When it comes down to it, she's kind of evil.

And Yui could have had a perfectly good guitar with the money they raised anyway, but nooooooooooooooooo. She wanted THAT one.

Sparrow's Hotel 12 (end)

(6/10): decent short anime that had a rocky start but then started to become interesting towards the end. Funny/Charming characters like the second desk attendant and the imouto obsessed brother.

madp

The Light of El Cantare
Class privilege in anime? :p

Part of the reason that I hate oujosama characters is that anime is virtually never critical of their lifestyles.

And yet, half or more of the time, these characters are still attending a regular public high school. The hell's up with that? Must be some kind of wish fulfillment.

wonzo

Banned
Part of the reason that I hate oujosama characters is that anime is virtually never critical of their lifestyles.

And yet, half or more of the time, these characters are still attending a regular public high school. The hell's up with that? Must be some kind of wish fulfillment.
They go to public schools to laud their privilege over the subhuman proles, clearly.

Branduil

It's not a regular high school, it's an elite all-girls school.

zeroshiki

You should watch Maria-sama ga Miteru then. The school is upper upper crust and they go on school trips to Italy and stuff.

It's not a regular high school, it's an elite all-girls school.

This. All girls schools are naturally private by nature and no one runs a private high school for poors.

Jarmel

Banned
Class privilege in anime? :p

That would be an interesting paper actually. It would need interviews though on the part of the creators analyzing what they thought of that part of the society. Also interviews on the part of the consumers would probably be necessary as well.

Branduil

Fighter jets as a subject matter don't interest me at all but I just wanted to reply that I very much agree that technically all the clips you just capped were cool looking, and it's hard to imagine where they could have gotten reference material for some of them so it's a testament to the artists that they turned out as well as they did.

It's sadly a lost art in anime these days.

FelixOrion

Poet Centuriate
Clearly you never realized that statistics are quite sexy.

Stats are really sexy!

Posting rates:

Winter |OT-6| - 544 posts/day, duration: 36.21 days
Spring |OT-7| - 637 posts/day, duration: 30.91 days
Spring |OT-8| - 641 posts/day, duration: 31.22 days
Spring |OT One| (w/ E3 interruption) - 683 posts/day, duration: 29.29 days

K-On! 4:

This is obscenely early for a beach episode, but if the show is going at the pace of roughly 1 episode = 1 month for the club, this would be the logical place for a beach episode to go if the school year begins in April. As far as beach episodes go, this was relatively classy and cliche-free, so I can't complain; it was clearly not a slapdash or throwaway episode because there were several standout moments in terms of direction, use of perspective, etc. The pyrotechnic scene had some lovely effects animation and was fairly overt in its :firehawk, and I especially liked the shots that used space to emphasize a sense of "aloneness" in the garage immediately before Mio chokes back tears of frustration that none of the other girls are as motivated to practice as she is.

The great thing is that these snippets of genuine emotion are not simply there to add artificial depth to the characters, but are their own little narrative threads that receive actual resolution; at the end of the episode, Mio's fears are allayed when Yui demonstrates actual improvement in her guitar skills and thanks Mio for her leadership. Beneath all of the goofing off there is actual characterization in K-On!, and this episode did a good job of painting Mio as a responsible person.

The entire light music club would be so screwed if they didn't have a 1% bailing them out at every turn, though :lol Who the hell has a beach house full of expensive audio equipment just because?

Also, I don't remember Yui and Ritsu being this chummy in previous episodes. Kind of feels like Ritsu lost a few IQ points somewhere.

The pace of the first season is pretty fast, probably faster than you're thinking. But yes this is how a beach episode should be like.

Mio is the best, this is where I saw the light. I just really connected with her here.

They actually point this out later in the series on how lucky they are.

Yui and Ritsu have the kind of personalities that they'd naturally chum up with each other. And Ritsu isn't what I would call smart or at least very motivated to learn, though they probably point that out more in the manga.

kayos90

Tragic victim of fan death
Stats are really sexy!

Posting rates:

Winter |OT-6| - 544 posts/day, duration: 36.21 days
Spring |OT-7| - 637 posts/day, duration: 30.91 days
Spring |OT-8| - 641 posts/day, duration: 31.22 days
Spring |OT One| (w/ E3 interruption) - 683 posts/day, duration: 29.29 days

Well... I blame myself for the Fall one. =/ I also stopped posting during the Winter and Springish...

Branduil

Glass Fleet 15

Wait...

...Wait...

That's what happened?

So Cleo stopped just as about to kill Vetti because he has Solay (or however the fuck it's spelled) in his body? ...Okay...what the hell does that even mean? It's the source of all energy...okay...and you can't have it in your body because I guess it's poisonous or some shit...okay...and he has it in him, probably because of the blood of the Royal Family or the Glass Battleship or something, and he survives...okay...

...So why in the name of FUCK did it only flare up to that debilitating pain just as he was about to kill Vetti?

This really isn't all that much better than my "God hates Cleo." explanation. It's still quite possibly the dumbest case of deus ex machina I've ever seen. And even worse, the way it's being presented, I can't even bring myself to get overly animated about it.

Oh, and just in case the pathetically stupid train wasn't moving quite at terminal velocity yet, Rachel now loves Vetti. Why? I don't know. Ask somebody who hasn't completely given up on this show showing any sort of competence.

Oh. and now Vetti's complaining about an "absence in my heart". I...what? YOU"RE FUCKING VETTI! You're the guy who attacks ruthlessly and didn't give the slightest FUCK during that massive battle. What the fuck is going on here?!

And to reiterate, no, you're not "so close" to achieving immortality, because your crackpot plan involves GATHERING MILLIONS OF PIECES OF A SPACESHIP BUILT FROM A COMPLETELY UNKNOWN TECHNOLOGY SCATTERED ACROSS THE UNIVERSE, THEN REBUILDING IT DESPITE NOBODY HAVING THE SLIGHTEST FUCKING CLUE AS TO HOW! Unless the Glass Battleship is that ship, which it probably is now that I think about it, because this show is fucking stupid.

What the hell is Hector even doing at this point? "Oh. You think that this is my fault, just like everybody else..." That's because IT IS YOUR FUCKING FAULT! SON OF A BITCH! Oh, and now he's going to go start his own rebel army, just to spite Michel! Oh, that' s fucking GOLDEN! Let me know how that fucking works for you, buddy! See what kind of army you can amass! Oh God, I bet he's actually going to do it too! I don't know how, seeing as how he single-handedly fucked up the People's Army's rebellion to begin with. But he will, and he's going to come back at some point, cracking insanely like he was here and going all "I TOLD YOOOOOOOOUUUUUUU!!!" to Michel.

I'm not even going to mention that part at the end, as I feel like whatever shit that's going to come from that encounter is only beginning to manifest.

It's very, very hard to squeeze this much stupid into one episode. If things continue like this, this may very well end up as the worst show I've ever watched in my entire life.

Goooood... goooooood...

cajunator

Banned
I've reached the point where i need a custom display case for my fig because regular item aren't enough ...

BUT I HAVE NO REGRETS ;-;

I know what you mean. I bought a really nice curio to put most of them in but my collection has far outgrown it.

They totally are. "Oh lets all go fly to LONDON heehee!"

I love those characters. ESPECIALLY that laugh they have.

That's why I like Mugi, as you will see more of later, as she just wants to be like the other girls and be normal.
In the K-ON! college manga she cuts herself off from her family's money because she wants to be like her friends

CorvoSol

Thats...frightening.
BAKA BAKA ONII-SAN!

I can't be the Big Bro. Unless that's Big Sis. I don't know that I have the Big Sis archetype goin' on here. I could definitely fit the Ms. Yukari slot, though.

Eh, Utena insect definitely isn't on the same level of, dunno, Oreimo. In Oreimo is just a fetish for otaku to masturbate to, in Utena is something more complex and an important story element. It actually adds to the narrative. It's like, dunno, a Greek Tragedy.

I know you meant incest, but the hilarity of the typo won't let me see it that way. I can't say its a Greek Tragedy yet because Papillon has yet to acquire any character traits.

What isn't constructive about enriching the lives of potentially hundreds if not thousands of people who see it?

Just because the Uranium in a nuclear weapon has been enriched doesn't mean I should expose people to it.

So making shit up is sexy? =D

Uh, most definitely. This is why I tell people that Lelouch planned that murder, Lacus was the mastermind behind all of Gundam SEED, and the Princess Zelda of Ocarina of Time is the single greatest villain in the history of video games.

Cause everybody wants to have some stupid claim to debate.

firehawk12

Subete no aware
I don't think I can handle your avatar change.
If Tsukki is in the movie, I'll change it back!

They're all fairly well off... and I think the school they go to is private? I mean, their random trip is going to
London for a week
, which requires some amount of money anyway.

That would be an interesting paper actually. It would need interviews though on the part of the creators analyzing what they thought of that part of the society. Also interviews on the part of the consumers would probably be necessary as well.
Anime characters are usually middle/upper middle class though, with big-ish houses and so forth. It seems that only slacker characters live in apartments (Genshiken), or they want to emphasize their poverty (like say, PapaKiki).

Funny enough, and I can't remember if this happened in the anime, so I guess I'll tag it, but Chihayafuru has a moment where
Chihaya's mom leases a hakama from Kana's store, there is a brief scene where she talks about how it's a big sacrifice for the family to do it, but she wants to support Chihaya's dreams

But it's like American sitcoms now, really. Everyone lives in Manhattan in giant lofts and can get by working at a coffee shop or wherever.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom