• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Summer 2013 Anime Thread Zero: grown men playing with dolls/who but WB Masochism

Status
Not open for further replies.
Neptunia 02

This might be going a bit far with the silly pandering, at least for me. It's a really dumb show and I'm afraid something might happen to me if I watch the next episode.

Utena 02

Great faces. I dig the style and the humor. Already interested in whatever 'bringing revolution to this world' means and how Utena will fare against her future opponents.

IXSxcCV.jpg

gVUYYPy.jpg

I don't really dig Anthy though, probably because she dons the same hairstyle as my grandmom.

BGBW

Maturity, bitches.
Hah. I'm glad I wasn't the only one who thought the same thing during that scene.
Well I admit my first thought was "
your favourite anime is shit...
" but since I've obviously overplayed that joke by at least three gifs I went with something completely different.

cajunator

Banned
Neptunia 02

This might be going a bit far with the silly pandering, at least for me. It's a really dumb show and I'm afraid something might happen to me if I watch the next episode.

Utena 02

Great faces. I dig the style and the humor. Already interested in whatever 'bringing revolution to this world' means and how Utena will fare against her future opponents.

I don't really dig Anthy though, probably because she dons the same hairstyle as my grandmom.

Another one falls down the rabbit hole. Here's to future entertainment!

cnet128

Banned
Kin'iro Mosaic 3

Poor Alice, having this cruel intruder show up out of nowhere and steal her beloved Shino away from her. It's okay, Alice! I know you're still the most adorable English girl ever! Shinobu just has no taste, that's all!

...Also, last time I checked we don't kiss our friends goodbye in England either ~.~

Blood Lad 03

MWErS23l.jpg

After reading this in the manga, I gotta say I really like how the colors used just make the world and characters pop.

I definitely appreciate all the touches they are doing like the manga sound effects, the new little events they add here and there, all that nice action. Even more impressed with this anime now.

Step

Digimon Tamers 34

Sh#t just got real, Leomon is boss
Too bad he gets killed everytime...
I wish all the season had more than just one Corrupted/"wrong" evolution, those moment always kick ass.

Beelzemon must pay for making my sweet Juri cry T~T

EDIT: Speaking about previews, it looks like this one pretty much spoiled the whole next episode haha.

Theonik

Eureka Seven 32
iU0K7vkxSZdNK.png

Dominic you have chosen the path of suffering but hot damn
It might have been obvious from the last episode but Dewie is fucking insane. Also that Anemone. I really wonder what's in these injections because the personality altering they cause is pretty huge.
Also something I wish to restate is that Alex Thurston is clearly the best Thurston. Also poor Eureka. She must feel like shit.
Nirvash Type 2!!!!! SO awesome!!! That laser Itano circus action

cajunator

Banned
Digimon Tamers 34

Sh#t just got real, Leomon is boss
Too bad he gets killed everytime...
I wish all the season had more than just one Corrupted/"wrong" evolution, those moment always kick ass.

Beelzemon must pay for making my sweet Juri cry T~T

EDIT: Speaking about previews, it looks like this one pretty much spoiled the whole next episode haha.

Episode previews are terrible spoilers and should be avoided at all times.

Soma

Uchouten Kazoku Episode 03

Great episode. The visuals remain to be excellent, the color work is just a joy to look at, and the writing and dialogue feels very natural and confident. The next episode looks to be really exciting.

So far from what I've been keeping up with this season:

Uchouten Kazoku > Love Lab >>> Monogatari S2 > Silver Spoon = Gatchaman Crowds >>>> C3bu

Not a whole lot else from this season really seems interesting to me. I might start Watamote eventually but I've never really cared for the manga THAT much and I'm waiting for Teekyuu S2 to finish airing so I can watch it all in one go. Uchouten and Love Lab are my top picks and they really feel like the only shows this season where I have this desire to want to re-watch episodes soon afterwards (well i guess monogatari too but for more shallow reasons...).

BluWacky

How good is the new Dr. Slump Anime in comparision to the Manga?

Don't wanna watch the early 80's one.

Do you speak Japanese? I'm assuming that you'd be looking for episodes with English subtitles and, as far as I'm aware, only one episode of the 90s remake has ever been subtitled in English let alone dubbed. You'd have more luck with the 80s version. Of course I know nothing about other languages so you may be in luck there.

I honestly can't tell you anything about the quality of any of the Dr Slump anime as I've never seen it and never plan to - but it's just worth pointing out it's quite hard to watch anyway!

Utena 03

Wow what a fucking brocon bitch.

I think I have some sort of affinity to quickly like stuff that has an air of assholes of nobility to it.
Like so far my favorite part of LoGH has to still be the first quarter where Reinhard puts scum of noble blood to their places. Also Berserk, where Griffith had to show the queen and those other dogs who runs this shit.

Here, in Utena, the air of assholes of nobility comes from seitokaichou. That guy is so full of himself it'll be so sweet to see him fall.

Step

Seriously, if it's on comedies it is a bit safe, but when there is the minimum of plot involved just look away and cover your ears.

It was like:

Cliffhanger > ED > preview: "look at this dude, next episode gunna be awesum.. lol brah btw this guy won".

Do you speak Japanese? I'm assuming that you'd be looking for episodes with English subtitles and, as far as I'm aware, only one episode of the 90s remake has ever been subtitled in English let alone dubbed.

Wtf?? How does this happen? I blame Toonami's handling of Dragon Ball

Cwarrior

Ryo Oonishi Mad

Looks like one piece & toriko's ryo oonishi did the Kizaru fight in Op Film Z.

How good is the new Dr. Slump Anime in comparision to the Manga?

Don't wanna watch the early 80's one.

I've only seen the 80s one when I was very young,the new has weird changes to some of the character designs now looking closer to dragon quest.

Not 100% sure but I don't think the new is based on the manga at all.

cnet128

Banned
Blood Lad 3

"Yo crazy girl have you got the Book of Human Resurrection?" "Nah I gave it to wolf-guy." "OFF TO FIGHT WOLF GUY THEN"

"Yo wolf guy gimme the Book of Human Resurrection." "I don't got no book." "JUST KIDDING I NEVER GAVE IT TO WOLF GUY IT'S RIGHT HERE"

"Yo Book of Human Resurrection tell me how to resurrect human." "lolno I am useless you can't read me" "KAY LET'S GO ASK MY BROTHER WHAT HE WROTE IN THIS STUPID THING"

And thus the wild goose chase continues. (Show is still pretty fun though.)

Hitokage

Setec Astronomer
Even the original Dragon Ball gradually transitions from comedy/adventure to action/adventure to action/powerlevelfest. Ma Jr. was pretty much a trial run of DBZ proper.

Not all the time, they can be done correctly. Gargantia did it correctly by having the preview be on the sails on Amy's ship during the ED. It was so subtle that I thought the show didn't do previews at first. And when you saw them, they often showed vague shots of the characters reacting to things in the show. It really set up the stuff correctly and got people more hyped for what was to come in the show.

cajunator

Banned
Not all the time, they can be done correctly. Gargantia did it correctly by having the preview be on the sails on Amy's ship during the ED. It was so subtle that I thought the show didn't do previews at first. And when you saw them, they often showed vague shots of the characters reacting to things in the show. It really set up the stuff correctly and got people more hyped for what was to come in the show.

Yeah that ED, all of it, was brilliant. A perfect example of how to do a proper ED.

Jex

Uchoten is so good. Omg.

How is this so good.

Fucking PA Works lucked out. A+ IP 10/10 would adapt again.

I don't know how much they lucked out. The director, Masayuki Yoshihara, seems to have been a pretty regular Production I.G. guy having worked on every version of Ghost in the Shell prior to Arise, Jin-Roh, Moribito, Eden of the East etc usually in storyboarding/episode direction. I wonder when he 'switched sides'?

ANN states that in 2011 he directed a brief TV special thing for them back in 2011, and theP.A. works Animators Training project released in the same year, Bannō Yasai Ninninman (the one with the vegetables).

I can only assume that Production I.G. never allowed him to direct anything at their studio so he left, and now he's making a pretty great TV series. Good for him.

Mr.Jeff

so watched 3 episodes of turn a gundam.
SOOO BORING. z z z z z z.

i guess ill watch the first series i guess.
If you're going to watch the original Mobile Suit Gundam and don't want it to be boring then you'll be waiting a awhile. I found it took a fair few eps to get interesting.

Time to get through some of my backlog Yuyushiki.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom