• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Summer 2013 Anime Thread Zero: grown men playing with dolls/who but WB Masochism

Status
Not open for further replies.
The World God Only Knows S2 - Episodes 5-7

So I'm glad episode 6 helped relieve one of my cons of the show, that almost none of the
girls he capture ever get in the story again. So glad the 1st capture came back, even if it was for a few seconds.
Also on episode 7 I can't believe Keima
captured her like that. She put him in the friendzone and he still captured her, I guess he really is the visual novel king.

This show is just getting better and better and I can't wait for the next episodes. If the show stays good I can't wait for season 3, heck I might even start reading the manga if its good enough.

Also, why is chibi Elsie so adorable, I couldn't help myself laughing everytime she went in chibi mode.
Elsie1.jpg

wonzo

Banned
I thought arti said that was a scam?
It seems that new Crimson Star anime licensing company may not be entirely legitimate. A somewhat alarming amount of information has come to light indicating that the person running it is a former scammer, among other things.

http://www.fandompost.com/oldforums/...l=1#post189891
http://www.mania.com/hoshizora-kisek...le_123388.html
http://www.mania.com/aodvb/showthread.php?t=101154
http://voiceactingalliance.com/board...d-Information&

Also, the HanTsuki page is already live on their site since May.

(via @jlskun)

We'll have to see how this pans out.
Yeah.

The World God Only Knows S2 - Episodes 5-7

So I'm glad episode 6 helped relieve one of my cons of the show, that almost none of the
girls he capture ever get in the story again. So glad the 1st capture came back, even if it was for a few seconds.
Also on episode 7 I can't believe Keima
captured her like that. She put him in the friendzone and he still captured her, I guess he really is the visual novel king.

This show is just getting better and better and I can't wait for the next episodes. If the show stays good I can't wait for season 3, heck I might even start reading the manga if its good enough.

Also, why is chibi Elsie so adorable.

Season 3 BAYBAY.
The World God Only Knows is the best. THE BEST. even if it doesn't have a clearly defined ending being based off a currently running manga.

CorvoSol

Revolutionary Girl Utena 23

Errybody want's Utena's dick this episode, I guess. It's what she gets, wearing tight, bright, red bike shorts errywurr. Sooner or later peeps gonna want.
How dumb do you have to be Utena, that when someone says "I am attracted to you, I want to get closer to you." you legit ask "Why?" HE JUST TOLD YOU WHY. And you legit can't think of friends who are having troubles? I mean Wakaba just had that whole breakdown with Saionji? Miki's hopelessly in love with a girl who doesn't return his feelings? Anthy is a fucking blank sheet of paper? None of your friends' absurd or terrible problems come to mind?

Utena Tenjou is a terrible friend.

Oh and also that really deep trauma where you lost both your parents, too. And now you're holding hands with the Worst Girl. C'mon, Utena. Come On. Holy fucking shut up secretary lady. You aren't a character and you are eating up valuable screen time. YOUR PROBLEMS I DON'T CARE BOUT. Suddenly creepy as fuck photographs of all the people Utena has fought lately.

Just how long HAS that castle been there? And these rings? And this sick, twisted game?

This guy is fucking CRAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAY.

WHAT.

WHAT.

WUT.

WHAT IN THE ROYAL FUCK.

NO. NO NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO.

That's FUCKING BULLSHIT. DID ANY OF THIS HAPPEN? WERE THE LAST SEVEN EPISODES EVEN FUCKING REAL?

EVERYTHING IS A FUCKING LIE. I DON'T KNOW. IT'S ALL SO FUCKING.

AUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUGH.

Stop escalating plz

it's either that or a long goodbye.

I love you.

Gargantia on the Verdurous Planet OST

Holy shit. The OST is 49 tracks across two CDs. For a 13 episode series no less. I'm impressed.

WHAT.

WHAT.

WUT.

WHAT IN THE ROYAL FUCK.

NO. NO NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO.

That's FUCKING BULLSHIT. DID ANY OF THIS HAPPEN? WERE THE LAST SEVEN EPISODES EVEN FUCKING REAL?

EVERYTHING IS A FUCKING LIE. I DON'T KNOW. IT'S ALL SO FUCKING.

AUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUGH.

Hahahahahahaha. I was waiting for this.

Regulus Tera

Romanes Eunt Domus
Revolutionary Girl Utena 23
This episode is a veritable mind fuck and doesn't get any clearer until you rewatch the show. Many times. Two things you have to keep in mind and which I think are the most important information about the Black Rose Saga:

-Yes, Anthy was impersonating Mamiya all this time, who died a long time ago.
-Nemuro aka Mikage graduating from the Academy means being forgotten by the Academy. This doesn't mean the Black Rose Saga was retconned, but rather that any events pertaining to Mikage were forgotten by the alumni.

Also, remember Tokikage's words.

CorvoSol

This episode is a veritable mind fuck and doesn't get any clearer until you rewatch the show. Many times. Two things you have to keep in mind and which are think are the most important things about the Black Rose Saga:

-Yes, Anthy was impersonating Mamiya all this time, who died a long time ago.
-Nemuro aka Mikage graduating from the Academy means being forgotten by the Academy. This doesn't mean the Black Rose Saga was retconned, but rather that any events pertaining to Mikage were forgotten.

Also, keep in mind Tokikage's words.

But how can
the duels remain when suddenly the institute is just up and gone? And Anthy was Mamiya the whole time? AAAAAAAAAAAH MY BRAIN.

Season 3 BAYBAY.
The World God Only Knows is the best. THE BEST. even if it doesn't have a clearly defined ending being based off a currently running manga.

I'm hyped for it and I'm not even done with this season yet, oh or the OVA's either. I hope the 3rd season is at least 24 episodes long because from all the chapters I see of the manga, I'm guessing the anime would have a ton to cover.

zeroshiki

I thought TWGOK was banal. It doesn't do things cleverly enough to have the right to parody visual novels.

That said, I love that art style. That Itou Kanae Elsie.

• Humanity Has Declined 01
In which our protagonist has SHORT HAIR!!
...NEVER MIND!!
NoQo0iY.png

I am really liking the artstyle, reminds me of Skyward Sword. Speaking of Zelda, we once again learn to never ever trust chickens.

Also those fairies kinda scare me a little bit. Sorta like, Kyubey from Madoka, with their eternally smiling open mouths.

Actually I get this feeling this is going to sorta be a bit of a Madoka-lite. I'm probably wrong and will promptly lower my expectations.

I also get this feeling that soylent marmalade is people.
I'm probably also wrong on that point too

Don't you know bread's bad for you?....

AAAAAAAAAAAAAGHHHHHHHHHH OHHHHH MMMYYYY GOSSSHHHHH I was not ready for this!!!
RIP BREAD Madoka-lite confirmed!

Narag

Attack on Titan 13

I'm not entirely sure where this started losing me but it's been a disappointing descent after the good start. I think thus far I'd only been hanging on due to the ace closing scenes to most of the eps that were just enough to hook me into the next.

I figure a lot of it has been something of a shift in the series as the sense of despair and general oppression has been lessened.and now there's this spark of hope that feels entirely unearned. Couple this with the increasingly more bizarre designs for the Titans and even they begin to feel like less of a threat. The Colossal Titan was this marvelous abomination, larger than any other, appearing in a flash, and lacking any skin so it was simply grotesque. It had this great monster feel to it as did the Armored Titan that just exuded power and presence. Even the Titan that appeared in the first episode to scare the guard captain had a disturbing quality to it. Now? They've grown increasingly silly and cartoonish, lack any real sense of threat opposite of
Eren's Titan form which has apparently inherited what made the early Titans appealing in their design
, and more often than not have me wondering if they're based on a particular person rather than existing as the destroyers of humanity.

Then again maybe I'm just still sore
Eren wasn't just a false protagonist and Mikasa wasn't given the lead.
That would have been so great, I think.

Also that preview... I'll be shocked if episode 14 is even ready by next week. :lol

CorvoSol

Awful on Television 13

Do we really need to
reexplain the entire plan and show you all this shit before the episode even begins? JEEZUS no OP until the 3 minute mark? START YOUR FUCKING EPISODE ALREADY!!

If this episode does not blow my fucking socks off this show is so fucking dropped.

And it only took four episodes! This was at least a step back in the right direction, I guess. You may join Majestic Prince on the "one week to live" plate.

FelixOrion

Poet Centuriate
The fold grows. Seraphis has treated you well.

Incidentally, I find it funny when people compare Clannad AS and Toradora because besides airing at around the same time they're very different types of stories.

Well they are and yet they aren't in some respects. Clannad I think has more in common with Toradora! than Clannad: After Story, but there are some events that make my mind to draw the comparisons.

such a great show. The author of Toradora just got one his novel greenlight for an anime. It's called Golden Time and should debut this year so I'm hoping of some Toradora magic to be in that story.

Interesting. Will check out.

There is an emotional Jon Hamm in Felix's post! Fuck I miss out on Toradora for a day and I'm already so far behind and missing this experience! I need to go to bed so it can be tomorrow already!

I will be watching. ;)

TWGOK's premise is inherently stupid and flawed.

It sounds stupid but I just like the fact that you never know how it's going to develop for the inevitable. I still remember watching the first season and going "how is he going to... he can't come back from something like... their's no way he can talk to her..." That was mostly my reaction's while watching it. It's one of those shows that it's nice to see the development rather then just looking at it for what's on the table.

This is just me though. I haven't seen anything of the manga so I'm not sure how it goes on after the anime.

CorvoSol

All this talk of Utena, I guess I should ask:
UjIcLtdl.jpg

Is this hover hand?

Pretty sure Touga puts his arm all the way around her after that. He's not exactly afraid to get touchy feely. Especially not to an emotionally shattered Utena in a skirt.

That was before the dazzling array of lies and impossibilities happened, though, so now I don't know.

Touga has probably been Chu Chu this whole time.

Seraphis Cain

bad gameplay lol

firehawk12

Subete no aware
Pretty sure Touga puts his arm all the way around her after that. He's not exactly afraid to get touchy feely. Especially not to an emotionally shattered Utena in a skirt.

That was before the dazzling array of lies and impossibilities happened, though, so now I don't know.

Touga has probably been Chu Chu this whole time.

Heh, I guess they saved money by doing a pan instead of animating it.

Titan 13

Hey let put some 30 second to mars's song in the middle of fight, great idea yo. fuck this show.

It worked for Dragon Age?

madp

The Light of El Cantare
  • Humanity Has Declined 01
In which our protagonist has SHORT HAIR!!
...NEVER MIND!!

http://i.imgur.com/NoQo0iY.png

I am really liking the artstyle, reminds me of Skyward Sword. Speaking of Zelda, we once again learn to never ever trust chickens.

Also those fairies kinda scare me a little bit. Sorta like, Kyubey from Madoka, with their eternally smiling open mouths.

Actually I get this feeling this is going to sorta be a bit of a Madoka-lite. I'm probably wrong and will promptly lower my expectations.

I also get this feeling that soylent marmalade is people.
I'm probably also wrong on that point too

Don't you know bread's bad for you?....

AAAAAAAAAAAAAGHHHHHHHHHH OHHHHH MMMYYYY GOSSSHHHHH I was not ready for this!!!
RIP BREAD Madoka-lite confirmed!

Jinrui typically operates through two-episode self-contained narratives; it's also a dark comedy and not simply "dark", so comparing it to Madoka Magica in any way will color your expectations needlessly.

Regardless, you've made a very good choice for a show to pick up and I hope that you enjoy it. Dammit, hurry up with those BDs, Sentai.

Jinrui typically operates through two-episode self-contained narratives; It's also a dark comedy and not simply "dark", so comparing it to Madoka Magica in any way will color your expectations needlessly.

Regardless, you've made a very good choice for a show to pick up and I hope that you enjoy it. Dammit, hurry up with those BDs, Sentai.

That scene reminded me of a scene in The Restaurant at The End of the Universe where the space cow is offering itself to Arthur Dent and friends. ...Would that be a more apt comparison?

Hitokage

Setec Astronomer
To be entirely fair, I find Zaptruder's comments easy to sympathize with. My experience with Revolutionary Girl Utena has been a lot like a High School English class. Regulus and Hito are the professor, and I'm the poor student...
My only credentials here are having seen the show five times, reading some of the book provided in each DVD set, and discussing with others in the past. Please don't feel like you're slow or something, because a lot of stuff you simply won't pick up on the first time. Fortunately, Utena is a fun rewatch so it might happen on its own anyway.

madp

The Light of El Cantare
That scene reminded me of a scene in The Restaurant at The End of the Universe where the space cow is offering itself to Arthur Dent and friends. ...Would that be a more apt comparison?

I've never read it, but probably. These first two episodes are basically a humorous critique on genetically-modified food and then the show rotates to other themes.

Narag

My only credentials here are having seen the show five times, reading some of the book provided in each DVD set, and discussing with others in the past. Please don't feel like you're slow or something, because a lot of stuff you simply won't pick up on the first time. Fortunately, Utena is a fun rewatch so it might happen on its own anyway.

I was pretty thankful for Icarus' presence when I went through the final eps. Between you, Regulus, and her, the show made much more sense than I would have likely ever divined on my own.

cajunator

Banned
Not all of us. I don't really play eroge, too many other games to play (Monster Hunter is eating my soul...)

I just double-checked, that is indeed the exact word she used.

I dont play them either. eroge are super boring.

+
Showed a friend Steins;Gate. He loved it.

-
Hulu jumped from Episode 4 to 13.

Yeah. What in the fresh hell.

Thats why you buy the blurays!

Noted! HERE COME THE END

Toradora! 25 END

god this episode way too fucking cute...my poor heart...

antMsMy.jpg

...my heart can't take this shit...it's almost like when (clannad spoiler)
Nagisa died in Clannad

WHAT IS ON THAT LETTER

Okay, now that's fucking cute as all hell

10/10

my heart hurts

I should rewatch Toradora. Its been a while. I'd like to relive those feels.

such a great show. The author of Toradora just got one his novel greenlight for an anime. It's called Golden Time and should debut this year so I'm hoping of some Toradora magic to be in that story.

Dont get your hopes up too much. toradora was kind of unique.

I can't find any earthly explanation why Hulu doesn't have Episodes 5-12 of Steins;Gate's dub while it does have the subs.

because hulu is shit.

How is it trolling? Steins;Gate in its original format has distinctive and prolific voice actors that are simply irreplaceable.

While thats true, the dub isnt THAT bad.

It is trolling because you are dismissing something without experience from both sides of the argument. It is trolling because you refuse to understand that people have opinions that differ from yours. It is trolling because you immediately run down someone's opinion as if your own is better and is fact.

That is what you are doing.

pretty much this is how I feel. the dub is fine. I watched it twice subbed and once dubbed. It works well either way. In english there is a lack of Halko or tuturu~ so thats points against it.

Muromi-san 13 (END):

Man, I'm really going to miss this ;_; Anime comedies that are actually tolerable are rare enough as it is, and Muromi-san had an energetic visual style and consistently snappy direction that really helped to pick up the slack during the times when the jokes themselves fell short. Yoshihara Tatsuya really redeemed himself after how awful Arve Rezzle was and I look forward to seeing where he goes in the future.

Preemptive fuck otaku for not buying the BDs and ensuring that we never get any more.

This show was exhausting. Its a good thing it was so short. But man was it FUN>

Amazing to me the about face that people had regarding this show. From loathing it to loving it.

No Regina, no fucking sale.

It worked pretty well overall.

The about Utena is that it's a great show even if you don't quite grasp all the symbolism. I loved it and I'm not going to pretend I understood every nuance of it. You can appreciate it just for the characterization, fabulousness, and music even if you have little interest in the the subtext.

madp

The Light of El Cantare
Guys, what chapter of the manga does the Aku no Hana anime end at? The only reason that I didn't watch it this season was because I have the first three volumes sitting around unread and wanted to use the series as a complement, so I'd love to know if I can just start reading so that I can watch or if I'll need to tack another one onto my next Amazon order.

I first watched Utena with a friend back in college, and between the two of us, we were still pretty lost/confused by the end of it.

We still loved every second of it though. I'm so glad she forced me to watch it with her.

yami4ct

Revolutionary Girl Utena 02

I was going to wait until watching at least 1 more episode to post impressions, but THAT ENDING. Too much crazy not to talk about that.

But, before we get to that, might as well go over the rest of the episode. It was all pretty standard, but fun to watch. You had Utena's classmate friend's scene of
starting to deal with the fact she was unceremoniously rejected in front of the whole school.
That was neat. Most of the episode was Utena and Anthy having new roommate angst. Some fun stuff here. Most of the good scenes involved Chu-Chu, Anthy's pet monkey (Mouse?) being adorable. He's going to be a fun little guy.

We then got two scenes that struck me, for different reasons. We had the one between Saionji and Anthy. It was an interesting character development scene. Even though Saionji is a total prick, it seems like he might actually
have real feeling for Anthy and not just care about her being the rose bride.
. We also got the Student Council scene that was just pure insanity. Card games? Letters?
End of the World?
More Rose Seal talk? What does any of this mean?

Then, finally there's the duel scene. Like the episode, it looked fantastic. Really dynamic and fun. It was also hilarious that the duel started with the same super long walk up and Apocalypse song. I hope that doesn't happen every time, as it could get quite old. During the duel, the episode had several odd things. First off, the song in the background. It was filled with a bunch of scientific talk. What? Why? We then have two moments at the end where a stylized white rose is transposed on the screen. So strange. Finally, we get the big moment.
The ghost of Utena's prince coming down and possessing her so she can win the fight.
. I don't even know. Man, so much crazy and cool stuff, I have zero clue where this is all going.

Two little things two end the review of this episode. First, I think it's hilarious how quickly the characters just accept the crazy going around them like it's no big deal. Second, wow the music for this show is godlike. Every track is awesome. I feel like I've had the ED stuck in my head for hours now. It's so good.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom