• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Summer 2014 Anime |OT2| Or, where Jexhius finally watches more Doremi for Hito.

Status
Not open for further replies.

zulux21

:,)

NIS America has done a pretty good job with everything. They make LE's and regular DVD/Blu-rays for people that want them cheaper. They tend to stick to lower end pricing. (Bought the LE Boxset of Toradora for only $105)

They are pretty fair with pricing and their packaging is great.

I've always felt NisA is a bit high.... but that is because a dub is a very valuable thing to me, and thus their shows being subtitle only made them a lot less valuable to me.

The toradora release was better for me, still a little high for the standards but the LE are fine same with the CC release.

/XX/

The comparison I always saw was Angel Beats' 10,000+ first episode.
Yeah, 11000. That comparison is right there in the link I posted (as it features images of the documentary where Seiji Kishi precisely mentioned the fact they used that many)... but, sincerely, I personally don't want to use Angel Beats! as a worthwhile example on anything related to actually competent productions.

HOLY SHIT

Captain Earth completely stole the idea of humans who are actually bad guys who lost their memories straight from Sailor Moon that once something is applied to them (dark crystal / kiss) they remember and go straight up evil.

zulux21

HOLY SHIT

Captain Earth completely stole the idea of humans who are actually bad guys who lost their memories straight from Sailor Moon that once something is applied to them (dark crystal / kiss) they remember and go straight up evil.

It shouldn't be surprising... even the name of the series feels like a sailor moon knock off for guys :p

It shouldn't be surprising... even the name of the series feels like a sailor moon knock off for guys :p

LOL and yet Sailor Moon has the better fanservice girls then Captain Earth

and the better story

and the better characters

and the better comedy

Why do I keep watching Captain Earth?

Sailor Moon 25

Pretty great episode, loved Sailor Jupiter as a kid and her entrance is awesome. She's tied with Ami as my favorite. Sailor Moon really has hit it's stride

pariah164

Sabagebu! - 01

Wasn't sure what to expect going in, but was pleasantly surprised. I like the juxtaposition it seems to present at times, and the delusion aspect reminds me of Akibaranger. Miou is a boss and my early favorite character. Will definitely catch up on this one, as it's a good break from all the idol stuff I'm watching. Thanks for the rec, AnimeGAF.

I am somewhat surprised at how many people don't like or understand Aniplex's prices and release style. Just how many people here actually import single-sets and BD-boxes from Japan?

Cheaper prices are nice, but then people complain about locked subs, episode count per disc, and barebone releases. Can't please everyone I guess.

zulux21

I am somewhat surprised at how many people don't like or understand Aniplex's prices and release style. Just how many people here actually import single-sets and BD-boxes from Japan?

Cheaper prices are nice, but then people complain about locked subs, episode count per disc, and barebone releases. Can't please everyone I guess.

I fully understand their prices, and know compared to the japanese releases that they are in general decently cheaper.

NA is not the japanese market though, and in general anime here is WAY WAY cheaper, thus a japanese company trying to force japanese like prices on american customers of course won't go over well since to most of us those are just outrageous prices.

I of course don't import anything from japan in regards to anime. It's to expensive for starters, I also don't speak japanese so it makes them fairly worthless to me. I am happy with barebones english releases as I like owning the series, and the extras with anime tend to be so dull and boring that I never watch them anyways... about the only extras I like on anime disks anymore are the outtakes from the english dub cast. I miss extras like excel saga's pop up video though.

Mature

Yeah, 11000. That comparison is right there in the link I posted (as it features images of the documentary where Seiji Kishi precisely mentioned the fact they used that many)... but, sincerely, I personally don't want to use Angel Beats! as a worthwhile example on anything related to actually competent productions.
/XX/ Laying down the burns!

Generally the people complaining about prices AREN'T the ones complaining about a package being barebones or having locked subs.

zulux21

Generally the people complaining about prices AREN'T the ones complaining about a package being barebones or having locked subs.

that is also true :p
I don't think the idea of a barebones release or locked subs ever once crossed my mind when it came to an anime release....

now the atelier series after koei stole from nisA... that is another story lol.

Risette

A Good Citizen
I fully understand their prices, and know compared to the japanese releases that they are in general decently cheaper.

NA is not the japanese market though, and in general anime here is WAY WAY cheaper, thus a japanese company trying to force japanese like prices on american customers of course won't go over well since to most of us those are just outrageous prices.

I of course don't import anything from japan in regards to anime. It's to expensive for starters, I also don't speak japanese so it makes them fairly worthless to me. I am happy with barebones english releases as I like owning the series, and the extras with anime tend to be so dull and boring that I never watch them anyways... about the only extras I like on anime disks anymore are the outtakes from the english dub cast. I miss extras like excel saga's pop up video though.
plenty of JP releases have English subs

In fact a lot of Aniplex USA's releases are just the JP discs with the booklets and whatnot translated

Clov

That's true. Aniplex releases don't have locked subs anyway.

NISA releases on the other hand...

In fact a lot of Aniplex USA's releases are just the JP discs with the booklets and whatnot translated

Yep, a good portion of what they release are just Japanese imports. Stuff like the Rurouni Kenshin Trust and Betrayal OVA, and the Kara no Kyoukai films that Aniplex USA isn't offering anymore can still be found on Japanese import sites!

that is also true :p
I don't think the idea of a barebones release or locked subs ever once crossed my mind when it came to an anime release....

now the atelier series after koei stole from nisA... that is another story lol.

Yep, people who are actually fluent in Japanese and don't need subs and/or don't want to watch the English dub truly ARE a niche market in the US. Heck generally the only "extras" I check out on a dvd release are the "if you like this check out this" trailers because I've found cool series I've never heard of through them.

zulux21

I also rarely ever buy anything that doesn't have a dub. If I ever put in a dvd to watch it will be likely when I am going to bed or curling up with my wife, and at those times I don't want to read subtitles. I want to be able to understand what is going on without having to look the whole time.

For subs I will just watch it on places like crunchyroll... I think I own a total of like 10 series that are subtitled only, most of them were a mistake or dirt cheap... I think the house of five leaves was the only one I got willingly because I wanted to support NisA for releasing anime.

I am tempted to pick up yakitate japan when it releases though as long as the pricing isn't bad, as that is just to amazing of a series not to own :p

Yep, people who are actually fluent in Japanese and don't need subs and/or don't want to watch the English dub truly ARE a niche market in the US. Heck generally the only "extras" I check out on a dvd release are the "if you like this check out this" trailers because I've found cool series I've never heard of through them.

I watch my anime with subtitles on in general... it helps me when it gets quite and hard to hear people talking since I tend to either watch with people (talking with them which can mute out sound) or late at night (thus quite so as not to disturb people).
when netflix added closed captioning on their ps3 app I was quite happy and have since used it quite a bit more.

Quasar

I didn't realise that much anime got dubbed.

Clov

Funimation and Viz dub everything they get their hands on. Sentai's been doing tons of sub-only releases lately though, and of course the majority of NISA's stuff is sub-only. Aniplex only dubs their most popular titles (outside of Monogatari, which could just be because it would be difficult to do).

zulux21

even with the increase of releases from companies like NisA and aniplex the majority of anime is still dubbed that is sold in NA. If you took funimation out of the picture that likely wouldn't be true (I miss the days of ADV and geneon), but they release a good amount of the anime in NA and almost everything they release is dubbed.

I don't understand Japanese either, but it definitely is a longer-term goal I would like to start soon after I settle into my new job. I import the series I want to support that haven't been licensed for a US release yet, though that has only been GJ-bu (TV/@), Minami-ke (S1), and a good sum of manga, LNs, and OSTs.

Funimation and Viz dub everything they get their hands on. Sentai's been doing tons of sub-only releases lately though, and of course the majority of NISA's stuff is sub-only. Aniplex only dubs their most popular titles (outside of Monogatari, which could just be because it would be difficult to do).

FUNimation did release Oni-Ai sub-only. Don't know how that experiment went for them other than okay.

Risette

A Good Citizen
I also rarely ever buy anything that doesn't have a dub.
oh

anyways a lot of JP releases have dubs included too. https://docs.google.com/spreadsheet...DZjX183cHZULU1ObnZ0UkFlTHlvU3c&hl=en_US#gid=2 — a lot of the Aniplex USA releases that are just the JP discs usually have the dubs if they were made, like Baccano or Gurren Lagann or Durarara off the top of my head
I would say the same thing but I doubt people would believe me.
didn't you pay like a million dollars for a KLK drawing

zulux21

I don't understand Japanese either, but it definitely is a longer-term goal I would like to start soon after I settle into my new job. I import the series I want to support that haven't been licensed for a US release yet, though that has only been GJ-bu (TV/@), Minami-ke (S1), and a good sum of manga, LNs, and OSTs.

I know some japanese, I have been slowly teaching myself it, but alas I have so many things that have been localized for me already that I haven't played/watched that the idea of importing stuff to me just seems like a huge waste of money. If I had money coming from my family I would likely do some of it (like I was tempted to import the sword art online game) but alas I have to pay off student loans, save towards a house, and put money away for retirement and thus can only justify frivolously spending money on NisA limited editions (and some other JRPG LE) at this time lol.

If its remotely popular it'll get dubbed, double that if its an action series. The last anime I watched that got released in the US sub only was Valvrave

most common thing to get dubbed right now are ecchi series by funimation and action by viz....
it seems every other week a new series with bouncing boobs is coming out... which since there isn't huge amounts of new dubbed anime coming out every month means I watch another terrible ecchi series every other week because I am always low on dubbed series I haven't seen (that I don't have on hold to watch with my wife) lol.

Clov

even with the increase of releases from companies like NisA and aniplex the majority of anime is still dubbed that is sold in NA. If you took funimation out of the picture that likely wouldn't be true (I miss the days of ADV and geneon), but they release a good amount of the anime in NA and almost everything they release is dubbed.

These days I think Sentai releases the most anime out of anyone. The amount of licenses they grab is crazy; they took fourteen licenses from the Spring season, and then added on more afterwards.

Funimation has a lot of the most popular properties, though. They could survive just off of DBZ alone.

If its remotely popular it'll get dubbed, double that if its an action series. The last anime I watched that got released in the US sub only was Valvrave

Not always true. Monogatari's very popular and doesn't have a dub. There's also a lot of slice of life series (like the seasons of Hidamari Sketch) which haven't been dubbed.

Quasar

Right. Beyond Funimation, I had the impression there wasn't much. But thats me speaking as a new anime watcher from outside the US who gets almost all of their anime via streaming.

zulux21

These days I think Sentai releases the most anime out of anyone. The amount of licenses they grab is crazy; they took fourteen licenses from the Spring season, and then added on more afterwards.

Funimation has a lot of the most popular properties, though. They could survive just off of DBZ alone.
I suppose that might actually be true... I tend to ignore anything from sentai that doesn't have a dub that I don't care about thus I likely miss a number of their releases. Even then it's not like sentai doesn't have dubs for a good number of their shows (especially if they are a few years old since they tend to rerelease series with dubs a while after the original release)
Right. Beyond Funimation, I had the impression there wasn't much. But thats me speaking as a new anime watcher from outside the US who gets almost all of their anime via streaming.

well Viz picks up shonen shows in general.... and then dubs them..... thus if you go by episode count they put out quite a bit as they do shows like bleach and naruto lol

as I said above sentai also has a habit of eventually rereleasing stuff with a dub. If I recall right I will get to buy nyan koi as it got a dub track a few years after the sub releases came out.

Quasar

I couldn't listen because it was pure Zac and Justin.

I thought it was the best episode I'd heard in ages, probably because it was a technical subject and there was no real anime content discussion.

Speaking of ANN podcast...funimation folks and others are always on there, but I've never heard folks from CR on there. A reason for this, like Funi sponsoring ANN?

Not always true. Monogatari's very popular and doesn't have a dub. There's also a lot of slice of life series (like the seasons of Hidamari Sketch) which haven't been dubbed.

Isn't it rare for Funimation to license non-mainstream properties. Like I was suprised they got there hands on Barakamon and Ping Pong. I'd thought it would be a company like Sentai. I wonder why hmmm?

Though I do hope they release a BD for Barakamon and even Ping Pong. Please don't just be a DVD release.

Clov

I suppose that might actually be true... I tend to ignore anything from sentai that doesn't have a dub that I don't care about thus I likely miss a number of their releases. Even then it's not like sentai doesn't have dubs for a good number of their shows (especially if they are a few years old since they tend to rerelease series with dubs a while after the original release)

Yeah, Sentai's sub-only BDs only started fairly recently (with Humanity Has Declined last November). They still have a fair amount of dubs, though I don't know if it's as many as they used to have. Every now and then they do take a title that was sub-only on DVD and dub it (like with both MariaHolic seasons, for example), but if a title gets released sub-only on BD it likely will stay that way.

Isn't it rare for Funimation to license non-mainstream properties. Like I was suprised they got there hands on Barakamon and Ping Pong. I'd thought it would be a company like Sentai. I wonder why hmmm?

Though I do hope they release a BD for Barakamon and even Ping Pong. Please don't just be a DVD release.

Funimation grabs odd titles every now and then. They even gave Princess Jellyfish a BD release, and that wasn't a title I'd expect from them! Barakamon I'm sure will get a BD release, since they have the home video rights to it. Ping-Pong will be lucky to have a release at all, knowing them.

I honestly wish Sentai grabbed Ping-Pong. They might not really care about their releases, but they're also willing to release anything; under Sentai I'm certain it would get a BD release.

firehawk12

Subete no aware
I thought it was the best episode I'd heard in ages, probably because it was a technical subject and there was no real anime content discussion.

Speaking of ANN podcast...funimation folks and others are always on there, but I've never heard folks from CR on there. A reason for this, like Funi sponsoring ANN?
I'm interested in the subject material, but the two guys together alone would be like listening to a Glenn Beck and Bill O'Reilly podcast.

The CR guys have been on in the past, as has someone from TAN and even Neon Alley back when they had to justify a live channel. The only people who have avoided them are Sentai and the guy who directs the Sentai dubs.

zulux21

funimation are actually somewhat open about what factors go into things getting dvd/bbluray releases.
for shows like barakamon and ping pong the number of views on their website plays a huge factor on whether it will get a dvd release or not... if the numbers are bad they likely won't see a release.

While shows like those are more rare for them, with the streaming they like to pick up one or two non mainstream series that interest them to have more information on if the market is shifting at all and if demand has changed for such shows. Beyond that I am sure there are some people who work at funimation that like shows like that and want to be involved with them :p. the subtitled only release a while back was another way to test the market and try to figure out how to go forward as adapting to new technology and trends is usually a good thing for a business.

Yeah, Sentai's sub-only BDs only started fairly recently (with Humanity Has Declined last November). They still have a fair amount of dubs, though I don't know if it's as many as they used to have. Every now and then they do take a title that was sub-only on DVD and dub it (like with both MariaHolic seasons, for example), but if a title gets released sub-only on BD it likely will stay that way.

I'm still hoping for a future release with a dub on humanity, but yeah I can't recall any blu ray sub only releases that have had a dub announced yet.

Clov

I'm interested in the subject material, but the two guys together alone would be like listening to a Glenn Beck and Bill O'Reilly podcast.

The CR guys have been on in the past, as has someone from TAN and even Neon Alley back when they had to justify a live channel. The only people who have avoided them are Sentai and the guy who directs the Sentai dubs.

I'm not huge on their podcast either, but they had the Anime Sols guy on a few weeks back. It was pretty interesting.

I know some japanese, I have been slowly teaching myself it, but alas I have so many things that have been localized for me already that I haven't played/watched that the idea of importing stuff to me just seems like a huge waste of money. If I had money coming from my family I would likely do some of it (like I was tempted to import the sword art online game) but alas I have to pay off student loans, save towards a house, and put money away for retirement and thus can only justify frivolously spending money on NisA limited editions (and some other JRPG LE) at this time lol.

I completely understand money being one of the main issues on why people don't like single-sets and $100+ BD-boxes. Had to hold back on some series I wanted because I couldn't budget them into my monthly payments, but I did manage to at least import Tonnura-san. Why isn't this an anime yet?

firehawk12

Subete no aware
I'm not huge on their podcast either, but they had the Anime Sols guy on a few weeks back. It was pretty interesting.
Yep. I basically summarized the whole show here. They're fine when they have guests. It's just the two of them together... they create a vortex of bad opinions.

zulux21

t Tonnura-san. Why isn't this an anime yet?

I would imagine because it wasn't very popular (there aren't many votes on MAL and I had never heard of it... but me not hearing about a manga that doesn't have an anime isn't a big deal as I don't know a ton of them)

it does sound like it could be a fun little series though. I might give it a read after I finish reading Ranma.

Clov

Yep. I basically summarized the whole show here. They're fine when they have guests. It's just the two of them together... they create a vortex of bad opinions.

Yeah, I remember reading your write-up! I really hope they're able to make the BDs for the Black Jack OVAs work out. They're a very small company, so it could be tough. At the same time Tezuka Productions is apparently being very cooperative with them, so hopefully everything goes smoothly.

Sailor Moon 26

Not that Zoisties is a bad villain, but I can't take him seriously because for 20 years I thought he was a girl because the old dub made him one and it seemed very natural with his flowery motif and movement. It's not that I find female villains bad, but when everyone takes him seriously as a man but my brain goes to "female" every time he appears on screen it causes this weird conundrum in my brain.

Quasar

Well opinions are like something. A box of chocolates. Or was it onions?

Well with ANN I tend to know I'll not agree with their reviews by default. I guess because I'm not a burnt out reviewer.

I would imagine because it wasn't very popular (there aren't many votes on MAL and I had never heard of it... but me not hearing about a manga that doesn't have an anime isn't a big deal as I don't know a ton of them)

it does sound like it could be a fun little series though. I might give it a read after I finish reading Ranma.

I can't say MAL is the best source for popularity in terms of what Japanese producers are looking to adapt, but I get what you are saying. I am happy just supporting the releases I enjoy any way I can.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom