• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Summer 2014 Anime |OT2| Or, where Jexhius finally watches more Doremi for Hito.

Status
Not open for further replies.

cajunator

Banned
Holy shit, that's horrible. I've been away for a couple of days (going to the funeral for a family member). That's really devastating news to return to.

RIP Hitokage.

It blindsided everybody. I feel like I was punched in the gut.
Im sure everybody does.
We need to stick together.

firehawk12

Subete no aware
If only they talked about Dynasty Warriors and Love Live concerts for four hours.
That's what anime has come to man!

Yeah, as they said, a lot of people just back releases they like so they can own a physical copy. Still, nothing wrong with just collecting!

Older anime definitely is more of a niche than more modern works. At the same time though, BDs can entice collectors of this stuff more than a regular DVD release. Look at how well the Bubblegum Crisis BD Kickstarter did for AnimEigo, for instance. I really hope that Anime Sols is able to get BDs to work for them, since I'm all for releases of great older anime in HD!

On another note, I heard that Dororo has a lot of talent behind it. I hope that they're able to get the streaming fully funded, and a DVD set funded afterwards. Since they're releasing a lot of Mushi Pro's work, I'm personally hoping they'll release Belladonna. Love the psychedelic scenes in it.
A lot of the bigger catalog stuff seems to be moving to BD. I assume at some distant point in the future, even the Utena BDs will come over. It's the really niche stuff that seems to be touch and go, since new fans aren't interesting in old shows they've never seen or heard of.

Syrinx

Aria: The Natural 14

Mmm, not one of my favorite episodes of this show. The shot with Akari and Aria out in the water early in the morning was really good, but I wasn't too big on the rest with Akari designing and painting that pole. Aria's imitation of the senior Undine who made that drawing was entertaining at least.

Hattori

Banned
Doremi 23

Surprisingly emotional episode. The flashback to the origins of the harmonica and what transpired really hit me in the feels dept. Not only because it was sad but because the music Aiko's dad played (Home Sweet Home) reminded me of another melancholic anime.
(Grave of the Fireflies)
It really shows why Aiko is such a strong character mentally and emotionally. Not many kids could handle a situation like that.

I also like the the wood chopping part, because it showed the determination and the lengths the trio are willing to go through for their loved ones.

tlE0S2j.png

this could also double as to what I'm feeling at the moment

zulux21

fairy tail season 2 ep 19
go
eat the fire dragon already
natsu.

terror ep 5
so... add another female that I am not fond of in this show...
hopefully the redeem the females at some point in the series because so far they are easily the weakest link of the show (aka lisa and five)

Clov

A lot of the bigger catalog stuff seems to be moving to BD. I assume at some distant point in the future, even the Utena BDs will come over. It's the really niche stuff that seems to be touch and go, since new fans aren't interesting in old shows they've never seen or heard of.

RightStuf has said that they're "looking at Blu-Ray for several titles", and I wouldn't be surprised if one of them was Utena. They're definitely dragging their feet, though.

Yeah, a lot of the lesser known titles will have trouble finding support over here. Hopefully Anime Sols will continue to find at least a small audience for them, though. You know what I think would work out well for them actually? If they funded DVD box sets for Monster. No idea if they could get their hands on that, though.

Yeah, a lot of the lesser known titles will have trouble finding support over here. Hopefully Anime Sols will continue to find at least a small audience for them, though. You know what I think would work out well for them actually? If they funded DVD box sets for Monster. No idea if they could get their hands on that, though.

I would rather not see Monster being released through crowd-funding, as I don't want this series to be uncompleted twice for physical distribution in the US. Don't have the money to invest in a media setup to play the five-volume R4 DVD release either.

Clov

I would rather not see Monster being released through crowd-funding, as I don't want this series to be uncompleted twice for physical distribution in the US. Don't have the money to invest in a media setup to play the five-volume R4 DVD release either.

Eh, I'd hope fans of the anime would be willing to support it the whole way through. Ideally someone like Discotek would just get it and release the whole thing, but I'll take anything at this point.

cajunator

Banned
RightStuf has said that they're "looking at Blu-Ray for several titles", and I wouldn't be surprised if one of them was Utena. They're definitely dragging their feet, though.

It amazes me that bluray "won" the format war yet still DVD dominates sales and lots of things dont make it to bluray. How is it still so expensive to make them? Why is there no subsidy for a winning format or something?

Midonin

Pri Para 06

Though Sofie has an individual song, PriPara is emphasizing idol units, so it makes sense the first song sung by the VAs... in character is a duet. At first, I was thinking that Mirei wasn't that much like An, but now that we've met her parents, her story arc is more or less the same as An's. Her dad's prosecutor, her mom's a lawyer, and they want her to be an idol prosecutor/lawyer. Mirei is having none of that and wants to let her cute flag fly. And only one scene with Principal Gloria, I'm okay with that. The politics of the independent city-state of idoldom are what I'm here for.

Seeing the family break out into a courtroom trial over what to serve Lala is right in line with the kind of weirdness I'd expect from Milky Holmes, and the hallmark of Moriwaki's style. This is why PriPara is one of my favorite shows of the season. A mixture of heartwarming and weird is a potent combination.

By idol lawyer, I mean an idol who is also a lawyer, not an idol for lawyers. Or a lawyer for idols. Much like how Wizard Barristers took itself to the most amusing grammatical conclusion. PriPara already has better animation than WB, but no robots yet. Robot idols? Wait, already have that, it was called Xenoglossia. What was I getting at again? Oh, yes. Mirei's home life is infinitely amusing, as was the sweets and fruits theme park she and Lala created in tandem. Fantastically quirky little show.

Clov

It amazes me that bluray "won" the format war yet still DVD dominates sales and lots of things dont make it to bluray. How is it still so expensive to make them? Why is there no subsidy for a winning format or something?

I've heard that at least for anime, sales are around 50-50. Prices for replication have fallen, but it's still more expensive than DVD. I've heard something like it costing around $3 per disc for BD. Not sure if that's correct, though.

And therein lies a perfect marketing opportunity!

Someone's gotta be drafting that right now

What about a mobster with a tsundere daughter?

Even better. Tsundere Loli Godfather.

These men. They tried to sexually abuse my daughter. When she tried to fight back they beat her senselessly. The cops, they let these men go by the day. They looked at my eyes and smiled. I looked at my wife and told her, we must go to Don Corlolione. Only she can bring justice. What do you require of me my God daughter

Don Corlolione: I-it's not like I want you to be my onii-chan b-baka!

Inb4 better than Godfather III.
When I first watched this as a kid I loved the first, fell asleep a bit during the second (to be fair it was late and a school night), and had to stop the third. I refuse to watch the third unless convinced otherwise.

TUSR

Banned

The bluray format is also insanely easy to licence.

Eh, I'd hope fans of the anime would be willing to support it the whole way through. Ideally someone like Discotek would just get it and release the whole thing, but I'll take anything at this point.

I too would hope so. The series is apparently doing quite well in Australia. I appreciate what Anime Sols does, but would rather have someone like Discotek or Nozomi get the license for more of a guarantee.

zulux21

Without spoiling how you liking season 2 of FT so far? I just started the tournament games arc, the Clock arc was kinda meh, being filler and all but loved everything before it.

Overall I have found the second series to be fairly enjoyable. Some of the pacing is a bit odd, as some of it felt too fast, and some of it felt too slow but most of it has felt about right (and overall better then the pacing of the end of the first series) and at the very least way better then the pacing that is currently going on in one piece or that was going on at the end of the last major arc in hunter x hunter (don't know if you watch either of those)

To be fair though most of the pacing issues were during episodes that I had already read in the manga (so I might not just be able to notice odd pacing issues as well with the more current eps that I haven't read the manga for) as I wasn't a fan of where the first season left off and I wanted to get to a better stopping point (and did and hoped for a new season and got it lol)

My only big complaint is some of the drastically different character designs from the first season. while a number of the characters at least look close to the first season's designs (like for example natsu doesn't look much different) some of them look quite a bit different in general you can still tell who they are, but some of the characters have a different vibe. Beyond that I would have preferred if blood use in dramatic moments was turned up a bit more... but it's at least there a little bit which is better than you can say for most of the first series. Series one early spoiler.
God I was angry for a while when gray took a ice rod through the gut and there wasn't any damage beyond a slight bruise... it killed all the drama from the scene @_@ (this was when he first faced leon early on.
final thoughts: if you have enjoyed Fairy Tail the second series won't disappoint you.

It took a while for DVDs to fully saturate the market, too. Some people still clung to VHS as long as they could. People hate change. Personally, I don't buy anything now unless it's got a blu-ray version.

zulux21

bluray might have won against HDDVD but it doesn't offer enough of an advantage over your average dvd for most consumers to care.

I know I didn't buy dvds because they had better video quality then VHS... I bought them because they were easier to store than VHS... and YOU DIDNT HAVE TO REWIND!!!!!!!!

moving from vhs to DVD felt like a huge change and it was amazing... going form dvd to bluray... well it's just not impressive. If everyone cared deeply about how the video quality and sound quality was places like netflix would have no traffic, the general consumer just doesn't care which is why most consumers still haven't cared enough to upgrade.

Beyond that blu ray still tends to be a little more expensive to buy over DVD and people would rather just pay less for the same product.

Heck, I don't buy blu ray because they have better video/sound quality but because they are slightly more future proof then DVDs for me since there is no way consoles will be going back to DVDs and the next generation may drop support for DVD playback all together. the difference in quality to me just isn't a big deal... and I have a 1080p TV and a decent sound system *shrugs*

blu ray may well be the last major physical media playback devices we see. I feel that the all digital future is coming.

I am glad I don't remotely have those feelings. There may be a day where we are purely digital, but it won't be in the next 25 years. Heck when digital .mp3s came out people were saying the same thing about CDs... and yet I can still easily go out and buy a physical CD for most any band that I follow.

Especially as we continue to push higher and higher resolutions.... a 4k movie is going to be like 150gb (the first released on was 160gb) and most of the world doesn't have good enough internet to remotely stream a movie at that quality, and would put many people at or near their data caps. If the space required for games and movies were completely stagnant it would be possible to eventually move to a digital only route... but since they continue to grow at a rate as fast if not faster in our growth on internet a physical medium will continue to be needed for quicker access to that data instead of downloading for days.

cajunator

Banned
blu ray may well be the last major physical media playback devices we see. I feel that the all digital future is coming.

I sincerely hope not but likely.

bluray might have won against HDDVD but it doesn't offer enough of an advantage over your average dvd for most consumers to care.

I know I didn't buy dvds because they had better video quality then VHS... I bought them because they were easier to store than VHS... and YOU DIDNT HAVE TO REWIND!!!!!!!!

moving from vhs to DVD felt like a huge change and it was amazing... going form dvd to bluray... well it's just not impressive. If everyone cared deeply about how the video quality and sound quality was places like netflix would have no traffic, the general consumer just doesn't care which is why most consumers still haven't cared enough to upgrade.

Beyond that blu ray still tends to be a little more expensive to buy over DVD and people would rather just pay less for the same product.

Heck, I don't buy blu ray because they have better video/sound quality but because they are slightly more future proof then DVDs for me since there is no way consoles will be going back to DVDs and the next generation may drop support for DVD playback all together. the difference in quality to me just isn't a big deal... and I have a 1080p TV and a decent sound system *shrugs*

Ive said plenty of times I buy them because they are durable and difficult to scratch or break. If DVDs had that same coating I might go back to them. but as it is, its too easy to scratch and ruin a DVD that still costs pretty decent money. It isnt worth the risk when theres an alternative.

Mature

My bad, I've been a little grumpy recently. Shouldn't have talked like that about a project many people gave with hope their better wishes and effort towards completing it and, even if the end product was irregular, that is always something commendable and worth of at least a minimum quantity of that respect I didn't demonstrate.
Ohh, don't be so formal. You're one of the kindest guys around here.

WTF????????????????@@@@!!!!!!!!$$
I was waiting for this, haha.

zulux21

Ive said plenty of times I buy them because they are durable and difficult to scratch or break. If DVDs had that same coating I might go back to them. but as it is, its too easy to scratch and ruin a DVD that still costs pretty decent money. It isnt worth the risk when theres an alternative.

excluding the anime I bought used... my entire collection (well over 1k disks) has at most a few hairline scratches. As long as you handle a dvd properly it's not hard to use them without scratching them. Blu ray is a bit more resilient thanks to the new scratch prevention (you want serious scratch protection locate DVDs that are coated with the same stuff that blu rays are and use those.... the coating is at least twice as thick as the blu rays and is nearly impossible to scratch on accident lol)

when they are near the same cost I go with blu ray anymore... but if my choice is a series on dvd for $25 or on blu ray for $35 I will go with dvd as everything in my house can play mean while only my ps3 can play blu ray.

that being said I will likely get a blu ray drive for my PC at some point... and perhaps look into importing a few UK series.

edit: gah... I need to stop writing so much or this page will just become zulux's novel :/

Syrinx

Aria: The Natural 15

Wonderful episode. It begins to play out when Akari and Akira met at that place Akari initially went to by herself to eat. And that was nice, since I usually enjoy when a show puts together an odd pair like that. Those two really hadnt had any interactions solely between them up until now. Then Akatsuki and Al come in and it turns to reminiscing about a story when the olds (used loosely) were young. Honestly didn't recognize that kid was Akira for a while there; eventually the voice tipped me.

Then when that reminiscing was done Akari talks about them as their little circle and starts to feel a bit sad that she kinda feels left out. And then something interesting occurs; the first one to comfort her and reassure her that she is very much an integral part of the circle was Akira. That surprised me. Hell, I was half-expecting Akira to channel Aika with a "No sappy lines allowed!" (I assume Aika learned that from her) halfway through. She has always been a nice person, but she seems to favor the tough love approach. But I guess while she does, she is still capable of being that nurturing person when she wants to. The fact that it was Akari instead of Aika probably played some part there as well. But it still caught me off guard a bit to see her embrace that side of Akari that had always been so well meshed with Alicia. Especially since she likes to say that Alicia is too soft on the girls.

And then the end where it just goes around showing a lot of the people Akari has met in her time on Neo-Venezia. Major characters like Aika, minor characters like the street puppeteer, they're all part of Akari's own circle.

I've made it to episode 15 of FMA Brotherhood.

Enjoying it quite a bit. The characters are all great, the blend of humor and serious plot progression is jusssttt right.

Shit just went down in episode 14 though.
FUHRER WHAT. PAPA ELRIC WHAT ARE YOU DOING.

It happens to me sometimes. That's why I go play Uncharted 3 Multiplayer, it's so addicting for some reason though.

Also maybe you've been watching too much Clannad.

No such thing.

He's making great progress but not moving so fast that it would burn him out. There was someone who on here watched it in one weekend and didn't get burned out.

Quasar

I am glad I don't remotely have those feelings. There may be a day where we are purely digital, but it won't be in the next 25 years. Heck when digital .mp3s came out people were saying the same thing about CDs... and yet I can still easily go out and buy a physical CD for most any band that I follow.

Well I do think it will be a while before you can't buy devices/media, but the market will have moved on for the most part. Real format death takes a long time. You can still buy VHS devices even now if you try hard enough. And vinyl never completely died, just that the mainstream moved on.

Especially as we continue to push higher and higher resolutions.... a 4k movie is going to be like 150gb (the first released on was 160gb) and most of the world doesn't have good enough internet to remotely stream a movie at that quality, and would put many people at or near their data caps. If the space required for games and movies were completely stagnant it would be possible to eventually move to a digital only route... but since they continue to grow at a rate as fast if not faster in our growth on internet a physical medium will continue to be needed for quicker access to that data instead of downloading for days.

Well personally I think 4k will be a failure anyway given the requirements in terms of display size for it to be useful. In a way I expect any physical 4k format to go like hires audio formats. It might exist but it will be incredibly niche as not enough people will care.

As for gaming...well PC gaming is for the most part digital only. Though that doesn't mean you cannot find games on disc. Though I wonder for how much longer that will be true.

Dynedom

Man, I don't know if I can do my Utena write-up now. I was looking forward to discussing it with Hito (as well as Jex and others of course) but man. :( Really hitting me now.

Aside from Sailor Moon, I associate Utena lot with Hito. ;_;

Gazoinks

Man, I don't know if I can do my Utena write-up now. I was looking forward to discussing it with Hito (as well as Jex and others of course) but man. :( Really hitting me now.

Aside from Sailor Moon, I associate Utena lot with Hito. ;_;

Yeah, me too. I think the most I really talked with him was swapping some Utena analysis back when I was watching it. Gonna be sad rewatching it without him around.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom