• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Summer 2014 Anime |OT2| Or, where Jexhius finally watches more Doremi for Hito.

Status
Not open for further replies.

cajunator

Banned
I've certainly been in the mood for a good parody lately. Thanks for the heads up ;).

It should be just what the doctor ordered then.

Was this posted by anyone?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WcgLfMtH_i4

Kyoani hid 700 odd animation frames of Haruhi around Japan for fans to find and it's now been put into a clean video. I wish they'd do more with those characters ;;

It was posted but thanks for reminding me how awesome of an idea it is.

inu x boku 3-5

while I am not minding this show... I really don't understand why it is tagged as a shounen show.

This show had so many cute moments. Karuta is a moenuke.

Dynedom

The original FMA was good until it decided to jump the shark at the end.

In comparison to Brotherhood, I prefer
Father
as an antagonist over
Dante

That reminds me I really need to buy the BD for Brotherhood. I really don't know why I haven't bought it yet, same with the original too. I always told myself I would buy it but I would forget to. That's gonna change.

Mr.Jeff

Because I like procrastinating about new stuff, I've been working my way through the second series of Lupin the Third and while it's an enjoyable series, there's not been anything in the first dozen or so episodes with a more "serious" edge that a few episodes of the first series had.

Not that's a bad thing but it just feels like there's a consistent tone of wacky hijinks and nothing else. Even in life or death situations.

That said, it's interesting to see how the direction of episodes of this time are compared to today's series'.

Mokoi

Banned

Welp guess I'll continue with this show once I start watching stuff again. I liked Honkers voice actor.

HtX9JsW.png

I'd think most people are happy with their current avatars but I couldn't help making this one, it was too perfect.

Seo's one of the few characters for me who is a jerk but still likable.

Thanks! I'll use this sometime soon.

It baffles me that we've had two diferent anime adaptations of Vocaloid fanworks and yet the IP holders have never pursued a series featuring the characters themselves and the accompanying infinite bags of money.

I only know of Mekaku city, and that was poop. What is the second one?

Is it weird that i change controllable character in Trails in the Sky to the guy? Am I a closet sexist? Am I Shirou?

If given the option I role play as guys just curious if people do the opposite when they have moe girls as their avatars

Haha that was the first thing I did, and perhaps we are both Shirou. Also more avatars have nothing to do with anything. I merely choose them based on who is my fav character at the moment.

Ready Steady Go > all

I haven't even watched full metal, but I did watch the openings for it. OP4/Rewrite is better than the rest.

I really like this opening.

Dynedom

Are you talking about the actual series or the movie afterwards?

And yeah Brotherhood was a much better series.

I guess you could say both. Very end + Conquerer. I was like "...wut?"

I'd also like to point out I've never read the manga (I just know that it follows the manga more closely). Probably just a coincidence that the elements of Brotherhood I liked more were elements in the manga.

cajunator

Banned
Welp guess I'll continue with this show once I start watching stuff again. I liked Honkers voice actor.

Thanks! I'll use this sometime soon.

I only know of Mekaku city, and that was poop. What is the second one?

Haha that was the first thing I did, and perhaps we are both Shirou. Also more avatars have nothing to do with anything. I merely choose them based on who is my fav character at the moment.

I haven't even watched full metal, but I did watch the openings for it. OP4/Rewrite is better than the rest.

I really like this opening.

Super Sonico

Mokoi

Banned
Let's be honest here.

There is one reason and one reason only why Original Full Metal Alchemist held some superiorty over Full Metal Alchemist: Brotherhood.

and here it is.......

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uwzAEwzUI8k

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4c5BMD0fK7U

Ahh these are great! Finding more bgm music is always nice. I usually find a couple of gems in the shows I've seen, and buy the ost even if there is just one song I like.

Super Sonico

Thanks I forgot about that show. I'm not a fan of the Super Sonico franchise.

Go_Ly_Dow

Ahh these are great! Finding more bgm music is always nice. I usually find a couple of gems in the shows I've seen, and buy the ost even if there is just one song I like.

Indeed. It's been a good 7 or so years since I watched the original but can always recall that track and the scenes it played because it's so nice.

Blade Dance 5
The opening had me confused for a second making me think I clicked on the wrong episode and so little happen that I was surprised when the episode finished

Syrinx

Aria: The Natural 20

Wow. This is the first time I can remember sn episode of this show being so dark and scary. Hard to tell exactly what happened, especially after Alice gives that information about how the story never existed in Venice; it was entirely a Neo-Venezian creation. What is sure is that Akari was gone a long time, and was on St. Michele Island.

I was originally thinking the woman was a product of Cait Sith being used to see if Akari would help the woman and her kindness overcoming the stories she heard. But the way the cats all reacted when Akari took her on her gondola was odd. I guess they were reacting like she was in danger and they needed the boss' help. And the woman is seen running away.

Really strange episode considering the theme of wonderful encounters and how Akari' kindess affects all the people around her. That there would be an episode involving a spirit who poses a danger to her and she likely should have stayed away is peculiar. I really hope the show continues to explore what happened here.

Even after this episode, i have to say I'd doubt that Akari would regret her actions, and that she would do the same thing if some similar situation appeared.

zulux21

blue spring ride 6

pretty much sums up my thoughts... while it's nice it's finally out there did not need 25 minutes leading up to what was obvious, but alas most romantic anime are way to freaken slow with development :/

mankoto

PriPara 6
So the headmistress is still babbling about as to how friendship is wrong and bad... Thankfully, she had no additional screentime. Meanwhile, we got introduced to two new characters
that we might not see ever again of this caliber, which is sad because they're the best characters yet :(
. And man, are Mirei's parents something else. Considerig one is an attorney and the other a prosecutor, it makes sense for them to constantly be at odds. But for even the little things like this, makes me want to be the fly on the wall in their home.

35405.jpg

Looks like they got a new song and even went up in rank too. Now they're on an even field with Sophie and she'll finally notice them.
Looks like in the next episode they'll meet when she isn't so peppy (again).

striferser

Huge Nickleback Fan
Yeah I knew about that one, and never bothered watching it. Also Super Sonico wouldn't be a vocaloid fanwork, so I guess Mekaku/black rock would be the only two.

Black Rock Shooter tv series and ova is kinda 'meh', so you're not missing anything. The song is nice though, and the macaron look delicious.

yeah super sonico it's not a result of vocaloid fanwork, it's a nitro+ mascot for their music festival.
There is a vocaloid tribute album sang by Super Sonico though

http://www.cdjapan.co.jp/product/DGSA-10033

BGBW

Maturity, bitches.
Full Metal Alchemist was pretty shameful stealing the final song from Ouendan for its OP. I hope Nintendo got royalties for that.

Is it true that most Seinen manga/anime have more complicated plotlines as compared to Shonen. Like I clearly know that both cater to different age groups. Like there are some dark anime/ manga that are considered Shonen, but how come it isn't Seinen?

Haly

One day I realized that sadness is just another word for not enough coffee.
No.

They have more sex and violence and gore, though. That's generally true.

Jex

Is it true that most Seinen manga/anime have more complicated plotlines as compared to Shonen.

There's no hard and fast rule, it's just a different set of magazines aimed at a different demographic. Manga, as a whole, is certainly more diverse once you move outside the of the world of shounen action titles because those tend to be really formulaic.

HtX9JsW.png

I'd think most people are happy with their current avatars but I couldn't help making this one, it was too perfect.

Seo's one of the few characters for me who is a jerk but still likable.

Ha ha, oh man. I almost made an avatar out of that the moment I saw it while watching the episode. XD

I don't know if I'll ever be able to replace Iona, though.

Jex

I suppose that is true, but at the same time history has shown us time and time again that when they do that it usually comes out vastly inferior to the original source. FMA managed to still create something that was well done and enjoyable, a lot of the time when they try that though they just end up with a bunch of cliches and plots full of holes, likely because of how tight of a deadline tv anime are on.

Plus as someone who (up until a few months ago) doesn't read a lot of manga, it's always nice to see the original story animated.

Has it though? How often has an anime set forth to do something different to the original source material and I don't mean filler arcs because you've run out of material, or brand new endings, or weird pacing. I mean actually tell it's own story in it's own way. Plenty of shows created by less than talented staff turn out badly but I don't think that means anything for the very idea of making something different from the magna.

The original Fullmetal Alchemist isn't just a straight adaptation with a different final act, it's re-writes on the story throughout, inserts brand new material, expands upon existing material and completely re-arranges the way revelations are delivered to the audience. In the original manga, there's no explanation of the boys origin until Volume 5, that's after Nina, after Scar, after Hughes. The original anime series moves that right to the start of the show to create a core emotional and thematic base of the series and it's a great decision that completely changes how you view the series right from the beginning.

There are other examples too, think of K-On! which started out as a simple 4-koma gag strip. By the the time KyoAni have made the second season the show was completely different to the manga. Or think about how they decided to change the chronology of the storytelling when they made Haruhi.

When creators think about the unique position they're in when it comes to adapting a work into a completely different medium and understand the mediums strengths and weaknesses they can produce great, new works, not simple re-hashes of stories that already exist in a different form.

jgminto

I actually enjoyed the ending of the first FMA, I found it pretty satisfying from a character and thematic perspective. Some people might think the twist is dumb but there have been anime twists that were a lot dumber than that.

Original FMA is the Dane Cook of anime adaptations.

The one thing I give them a lot of credit for, outside of doing the opening better, is how they made one of the homunculi a really personal one.

What the fuck does that even mean?

Jarmel

Banned
I
Moreover, there are other elements of a show besides it's ending. Many, actually. To ignore the importance of strong characters, superb art, strong pacing and great music just feels weird. Why is it acceptable for FMA: Brotherhood to have such a poor opening arc compared to FMA? How about the character of Hughes? Why should it get a free pass on these issues? What about the characterisation overall? Or the tone? Or the pacing? Are these all as good as or better than the original? I think not.

I would say the characterization overall is much stronger in Brotherhood. The opening arc really did screw up the pacing of Brotherhood and was detrimental to Hughes but it's not like the OG TV series didn't have some big flaws too with the filler material everywhere even before they did the big narrative split. The tone is just flat out different between the two works, it doesn't mean one was better or not.

cajunator

Banned
Super Sonico sounds like a bootleg name of a Sonic game in Mexico that they didn't know the name of so they called it that to appeal to kids.

Lol. Youre not wrong.

Black Rock Shooter tv series and ova is kinda 'meh', so you're not missing anything. The song is nice though, and the macaron look delicious.

yeah super sonico it's not a result of vocaloid fanwork, it's a nitro+ mascot for their music festival.
There is a vocaloid tribute album sang by Super Sonico though

http://www.cdjapan.co.jp/product/DGSA-10033

I see. Didnt know that. I always thought Super sonico was a vocaloid spinoff.

Crocodile

I don't disagree with anything you've said, I was just illustrating the basic difference between the two works.

In addition, I think on a fundamental level that's simply aiming to ape a manga is far less creatively interesting than a series that seeks to carve it's own path.

Are we really giving them brownie points just because they made something up? Wouldn't that apply to a plethora of anime with Gecko endings or tons of original content? It should only matter if the original material is equal or superior to the source material. I think in the case of FMA vs Brotherhood it is superior is some respects but worse in more.

What the fuck does that even mean?
As a joke, it means that most people enjoyed him when they were young and didn't know any better, found him to be the best and absolutely loved him, but as we grew up we realized that he is actually pretty mediocre when you compare it to others.

I wasn't calling the show itself mediocre, it's just a line people use to jokingly call something inferior. It's funny I swear it is.

Clov

Finally got my CCS BDs in the mail!

... and I literally can't get the first two discs out! Is there some sort of trick?

zulux21

Has it though? How often has an anime set forth to do something different to the original source material and I don't mean filler arcs because you've run out of material, or brand new endings, or weird pacing. I mean actually tell it's own story in it's own way. Plenty of shows created by less than talented staff turn out badly but I don't think that means anything for the very idea of making something different from the magna.

The original Fullmetal Alchemist isn't just a straight adaptation with a different final act, it's performs re-writes on the story throughout, inserts brand new material, expands upon existing material and completely re-arranges the way revelations are delivered to the audience. In the original manga, there's no explanation of the boys origin until Volume 5, that's after Nina, after Scar, after Hughes. The original anime series moves that right to the start of the show to create a core emotional and thematic base of the series and it's a great decision that completely changes how you view the series right from the beginning.

There are other examples too, think of K-On! which started out as a simple 4-koma gag strip. By the the time KyoAni have made the second season the show was completely different to the manga. Or think about how they decided to change the chronology of the storytelling when they made Haruhi.

When creators think about the unique position they're in when it comes to adapting a work into a completely different medium and understand the mediums strengths and weaknesses they can produce great, new works, not simple re-hashes of stories that already exist in a different form.
I'll agree, I don't think that the idea itself is bad, but it's just in general poorly done. Tokyo ghoul is a great example of this that is airing right now. Their changes in order of story and events have drastically changed characters and events for the worse. I was watching the anime having never read the manga before and having a lot of major issues with the main character and events... it turns out most of the main character being a completely gullible idiot is due to the way the anime was adapted and the change of details about how he comes to realize things and go do things. In the anime despite not being able to cut himself by ramming a knife into his gut... he for some reason random gets cut by a tea cup...

As for FMA being a completely different adaption... I both agree and disagree. indeed the start isn't a straight up adaption, but at the same time it is more just a well planned out series that went for the alternate ending route that you are trying to exclude from the very start (with the no alternate endings). It's well done, and well thought out but that is what it really is... just an adaption that didn't have enough source material that went for the alternate ending instead of a to be continued route... which the list can go on and on for series that have went the alternate ending route and had garbage routes because they didn't plan things out well.

As for k-on it might be different... but by no means do I consider it good.... I haven't read the manga but I actually liked k-on when it first started, as it went on I liked it less and less and eventually I grew to hate most things Moe thanks to it (plus the second season has a terrible squeaky opening :/) so perhaps I should check out the manga to that and see if there is less cake eating and falling over.

as for haruhi, I do agree that it was interesting with the chronological thing... but alas I can throw the same series right back in your face with what they did with endless eight... as that was also a unique adaption of that story and turned a lot of people off the franchise due to how poorly it was done.

I am not saying that unique stories compared to the manga are a bad thing, nor am I saying they can't be well done. But in general I just don't find them well done (for every good one I can think of quite a few that are worse), and that isn't because I am in love with the source material first. The vast majority of my manga reading over the years is watching an anime, hearing people complain about the changes they made, and then reading the manga and finding the original story vastly superior because a lot of changes made for anime just aren't thought out well. Again FMA was thought out well and that is likely why it turned out well... many others aren't though.

In general I prefer proper adaptions from the source material, and then after that exists if they want to revisit the series and give it an alternate adaption that is fine (such as the FMP route with fumoffu breaking up the first and second seasons (note: I am not sure if fumoffu has an actual source material or not... but it clearly is an alternate take on the series either way))

This does remind me though, I need to sit down and read code breaker as the anime was terrible and I have heard the manga is quite a bit different and actually decent :/

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom