• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Summer 2014 Anime |OT2| Or, where Jexhius finally watches more Doremi for Hito.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Quasar

I would argue that the first four episodes are basically the best episodes of the series, since it becomes something entirely different for the rest of its run.

It does? Well I guess the triangle is de-emphasised, but its still mostly the same thing. Of course its so long since I've seen the start my memory is a bit vague. And as much as I adore the show ( it os the only sports anime I've really liked and I do class it as one of my alltime favourite anime), I continue to be a bit disappointed Arata is in it so little. Even reading ahead with the manga hasn't really helped there.

Nozaki-kun 6

So Wakamatsu is similar to Nozaki in terms of them being clueless about certain things. Best part of the episode for me was when Nozaki said Chiyo's name in his sleep (
not really
). I know the show is focused on comedy but I'd like to see Nozaki respond to her even if it's just in the end.

RWBY 3

It looks like that part they mentioned before about having more time for asset creation is paying off with the new locations + no more phantom people. If they're going to be keeping each episode around 13 minutes then I hope that means things will be better paced (more fights please!).

Antiwhippy

the holder of the trombone
Nozaki-kun 6

So Wakamatsu is similar to Nozaki in terms of them being clueless about certain things. Best part of the episode for me was when Nozaki said Chiyo's name in his sleep (
not really
). I know the show is focused on comedy but I'd like to see Nozaki respond to her even if it's just in the end.

Best not to hold your breath!

Jarmel

Banned
So just saw the InouBattle PV, I'm pretty sure that one is different from the one shown at AX. The one at AX had more animation but yea the art style is super generic.

The cast's gender balance doesn't make me hopeful, but my understanding of the plot from what I looked up when the anime adaptation was announced is that a bunch of chuuni kids get superpowers, but they have nothing to do with them. Hijinks ensue.

It's a premise that could probably lend itself to a lot of fun visual gags if the team gives a shit, but I feel like most of the company's energy is headed towards its other projects, so it'll probably be mediocre.

I've read the first chapter of the manga and I'm not sure how well the concept would hold up for 12-13 episodes. It seems like a concept better suited for like 5-6 episodes than anything actually long. It feels like a parody aimed at a very small niche of anime rather than something substantial on its own. There was also a lot of reference humor too.

In short, I have no faith that this will turn out to be anything other than generic. You probably could make something interesting out of it but I don't think the original author or the scriptwriter/director at Trigger care(or are good enough) to do anything notable with it.

BGBW

Maturity, bitches.
School Days 9

---

*looks at my pyramid of empty shot glasses* Goodnight GAF.

With discussion earlier on archive blogs and having archived my own SD review, maybe I or someone else should collect AnimeGAF's SD reviews into one blog for future reference. I know Jex made a thread a while back linking to the first post of people's SD posts but it's a bit of a pain trudging through pages looking for each part.

duckroll

Nozaki-kun - Episode 5

Yay, new characters! This show is really, really funny, and the direction being energetic adds a lot to it. Great color design too. The stuff with the Tanukis was good, but the "I am Mamiko" campaign takes the cake for the most horrifying thing Nozaki has ever done. I almost died laughing at some of the reactions. Good stuff.

Nozaki-kun - Episode 6

I love how the show can stay consistently funny and entertaining without feeling stale. The way it draws from shoujo manga tropes and industry gags to make the jokes more unique and flavored is great too. Nozaki rolling around on the rooftop when he realized the horror of what was happening was a good parallel to what was happening in my head too. Best "couple" ever! :)

Jintor

I feel like I need to read more shoujo really to talk about my little monster better, but for my money it didn't feel that standard, even after that initial period where it stated to settle down

Antiwhippy

the holder of the trombone
Feels like a way, waaaaaaaaaaay less dramatic honey and clover so far, as in it's about a bunch of misfits trying to find their place together.

Chihayafuruu utilizes too many flashbacks for my liking.

edit:

Also it would appear every new potential club member is getting introduced by showing us how the classmates are bullying them? ;<

Quasar

Nozaki-kun - Episode 6

I love how the show can stay consistently funny and entertaining without feeling stale. The way it draws from shoujo manga tropes and industry gags to make the jokes more unique and flavored is great too. Nozaki rolling around on the rooftop when he realized the horror of what was happening was a good parallel to what was happening in my head too. Best "couple" ever! :)

Yeah. Its great and its why its my AOTS. I guess it will start to feel stale in time, but for now it isn't.

Ojamajo Doremi 18-25

cT0bh1Q.jpg
I really enjoyed the whole Majo Ruka arc after the few drier episode that came before it that focused more on the side characters. Pop joing the crew is a welcome addition as I love her character.

Chihayafuruu - 06-07

So we get two new club members and a bunch, rather shallow, drama while upping the comedy a bit more. I'm hoping to see more of Arata soon as he's kinda the most interesting character so far.

It still hasn't really grabbed me strongly unfortunately. That may not happen before an exciting tournament happens.

Really not a fan of this art style as far as faces are concerned. It's not s.th. on the level of Clannad but the eyes, mouths and blush-streaks make the characters look rather derpy here and there.

Shergal

Ojamajo Doremi &#9839; 19
In which Doremi and Hazuki get into a fight. Between this episode and the previous, it seems Doremi can't catch a break, they're bent on highlighting some of her more worrying character flaws. But whereas in 18 she was quite simply being a total asshole, the lingering thought I leave this episode with is that, even if she didn't express herself in the happiest manner, she was right. And this harkens back to episode... 11 I think? The one where Hazuki goes from worrying about her mother's tendencies and disliking her own reluctance to say 'no', to happily indulging her every whim and even starts partaking in the same practices from her mother she recognized were unhealthy (at some point in the past, anyway). At this point, this line of characterization can only lead to episodes like this until it gets resolved (will it?).

After their initial clash, the story devolves into a charade of petty fighting and misunderstandings, ending with the pair making up as the runtime demanded, leaving a feeling of there being no real resolution to the issue that started the actual fight, i.e. their diverging approaches to raising and taking care of Hana. Neither putting a baby on a leash nor trapping her in a cage seem like good solutions to the particular problem they were facing here, but the underlying concerns over Hazuki's personality go a bit deeper than simply that; I'm not sure how much the show intends to delve past this episode, or if they even recognize this aspect at all. The show seemed to celebrate the development in episode 11 as A Good Thing -which I disliked-, and the rift that started in this episode also ended rather hermetically -which also rubs me the wrong way a bit. I'll have to see what they do in the future.

------------
For the rest, I've been highly enjoying the degree of thematic consistency &#9839; has brought; the sharp focus on the joys and tribulations of parent/child relationships, both from a child's POV in regards to their parents and from a parent's POV in regards to their children makes for freshened interactions and establishes a clear framework to build characters in. Not just the mains, we've already seen a Mother's Day episode focused on two of the side characters that displayed the characteristic sensibility of Doremi when it comes to handling touchy subjects (it was also directed by Sato, so that helps!). Igarashi doesn't direct many episodes this season (1, 9 and 40), and Sato seems to have cut back his work as well, but fortunately the average episode quality has improved significantly, probably since all the writers, directors and sakkans remain pretty much the same guys from S1; presumably they have become more experienced at tackling the characters (and their designs).

firehawk12

Subete no aware
It does? Well I guess the triangle is de-emphasised, but its still mostly the same thing. Of course its so long since I've seen the start my memory is a bit vague. And as much as I adore the show ( it os the only sports anime I've really liked and I do class it as one of my alltime favourite anime), I continue to be a bit disappointed Arata is in it so little. Even reading ahead with the manga hasn't really helped there.
It goes from being an okay character story to being a boring shounen sports story about trying hard and vomitting karuta strategies into the audience's face. By front loading all the character development, the balance is completely out of wack and nothing actually happens to the characters outside of when they flip cards around.

Me too ;_;

It was all fun till those last 5 minutes.
Well, Arata is the best.

Please use spoilers if you're discussing major plot points of Chihayafuruu. It's kinda hard to tell who's just giving me some general directions and who's more or less spoiling things.

Thoraxes

Please use spoilers if you're discussing major plot points of Chihayafuruu. It's kinda hard to tell who's just giving me some general directions and who's more or less spoiling things.

I'm purposefully leaving out any names or events and sticking to my feelings alone.

It's still pretty good. And only in a couple spots really.

Kanahana's cute voice is the real jewel of that song. It's like butter.

And the ED is so good. Especially the full version.

Acti

Toradora! - Epi. 19
I'm crying like a baby... My heart is in pieces... Am I the only one who felt this way?

firehawk12

Subete no aware
I probably won't talk about the show any more, but it's not a spoiler to say that it becomes a sports show.

wonzo

Banned
spoiler alert the "sports" themed show focuses on the sport quite heavily at some point

fucking spoiler whining i swear to god

fertygo

The Severing Crime Edge - 01

So this is the crazy hair cutting and fetish edgy anime that wonzo hyping years ago, its just as weird as advertised.

The show opened with the hair cutting maniac protag go into this girl house that have insanely long hair, he suddenly fall in love with this girl and wishing can cut the girl's hair, the feeling is mutual because the girl also want her cursed hair cut.. the premise is that weird.

The show also have some oddly nicely animated scene such as

ibggBzD99Rr5P8.jpg

You don't see the also detailed blood dip in this screenshot

As picture above suggest, the show plot quickly revealing the plot about psychotic killer and their weird weapon, just add even more fuel to the already silly premise. Like you may have already get the gist, this gonna edgy as fuck.

But you know what, this first episode is surprisingly very well directed.. despite the silly plot, dialogue, and scene.. somehow its have weight behind it, the directing seem holding each scene tightly and use some visual/camera language to ensure these scene not get ironically funny (but of course you can also grasp it this way) with nicely placed music too.

This last scene is rather sweet, with how its perfectly build up and executed although still twisted as hell, what a weird show.

Now I kinda wishing the same studio and director handling Akame Ga Kill instead White Fox.

My apologizes, I misread something. Nothing was actually really spoiled, so ignore my post from above.

firehawk12 said:
It goes from being an okay character story to being a boring shounen sports story about trying hard and vomitting karuta strategies into the audience's face. By front loading all the character development, the balance is completely out of wack and nothing actually happens to the characters outside of when they flip cards around.

Gotta say, reading this I have high doubts about going further into this show. I mean that Karuta sport is somewhat interesting, but certainly not something I want to hear a lot of in-depths talk about for 26 episodes :/

If the characters can't carry this then I may end up dropping it.

The Severing Crime Edge - 01

So this is the crazy hair cutting and fetish edgy anime that wonzo hyping years ago, its just as weird as advertised.

The show opened with the hair cutting maniac protag go into this girl house that have insanely long hair, he suddenly fall in love with this girl and wishing can cut the girl's hair, the feeling is mutual because the girl also want her cursed hair cut.. the premise is that weird.

The show also have some oddly nicely animated scene such as

As picture above suggest, the show plot quickly revealing the plot about psychotic killer and their weird weapon, just add even more fuel to the already silly premise. Like you may have already get the gist, this gonna edgy as fuck.

But you know what, this first episode is surprisingly very well directed.. despite the silly plot, dialogue, and scene.. somehow its have weight behind it, the directing seem holding each scene tightly and use some visual/camera language to ensure these scene not get ironically funny (but of course you can also grasp it this way) with nicely placed music too.

This last scene is rather sweet, with how its perfectly build up and executed although still twisted as hell, what a weird show.

Now I kinda wishing the same studio and director handling Akame Ga Kill instead White Fox.

Yeah, Crime Edge has a surprising amount of sakuga.

firehawk12

Subete no aware
My apologizes, I misread something. Nothing was actually really spoiled, so ignore my post from above.

Gotta say, reading this I have high doubts about going further into this show. I mean that Karuta sport is somewhat interesting, but certainly not something I want to hear a lot of in-depths talk about for 26 episodes :/

If the characters can't carry this then I may end up dropping it.
It reads better as a manga because you can read faster than it takes for them to put the same story on the screen. Of course, I think the soundtrack is great, so you lose that if you're reading it... also, part of the mechanics of karuta is aural, so hearing them actually play a game can be helpful.

I would judiciously use the scrub button to watch the show though. But that's like 99% of all sports shorts not based on an Adachi manga.

It reads better as a manga because you can read faster than it takes for them to put the same story on the screen. Of course, I think the soundtrack is great, so you lose that if you're reading it... also, part of the mechanics of karuta is aural, so hearing them actually play a game can be helpful.

I would judiciously use the scrub button to watch the show though. But that's like 99% of all sports shorts not based on an Adachi manga.

Yeah may end up doing that.

Jintor

Lol. I'm watching some Japanese program trying to teach Chinese in Japanese and the incidental music they use for a quiz is straight out of One Piece's OST

Quasar

It reads better as a manga because you can read faster than it takes for them to put the same story on the screen.

For me I've found now that I'm reading the manga I'm really not enjoying it as much compared to the anime. But I find that the case a lot of the time when I go from anime to manga.

If they had announced season three I probably would have stopped I think.

I'm going to admit that seems weird to me. Like scrubbing through the action scenes in a fighting show just to get to the dialog. Might as well just read a wikipedia summary.

Firemind

Lol. I'm watching some Japanese program trying to teach Chinese in Japanese and the incidental music they use for a quiz is straight out of One Piece's OST

That's nothing new. I watch Chinese celebrity game shows and they use all sorts of music and sound effects from anime to video games. Last time I heard a Contra BGM being used and I was like wtflol.

animegaf, im dissapointed yall didnt tell me akame ga kill is actually good, that crunchyroll cover kinda almost made me skip it, i didnt even know it was a manga!

also what anime is this awesome gif from?

OGfBeRl.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom