• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Summer 2014 Anime |OT2| Or, where Jexhius finally watches more Doremi for Hito.

Status
Not open for further replies.

cajunator

Banned
[SAO II] - 7

We can't possibly begin the tournament this episode, so everyone needs to talk about their feelings for 20 minutes.

Avoid.

How much Shinon is in the episode? Enough to offset tbe pain?

Thanks! I would like to ask for animes that would make me laugh, a lot. I don't mind fanservice, and last ones that I watched were Nichijou and Hataraku Maou-sama!, both recommended by my friends. I loved Nichijou to death, and laughed a lot watching it. If there is anything that you guys/gals could suggest, I would love to hear
(read)
it.

I also like dramas, like Clannad (goddammit, I get sad only thinking about that), but right now I need some comedies because of some things that are happening with me.

Thanks in advance!

Binbougami Ga
B gata H kei
Detroit Metal City
Nyaruko san
Yuushibu
Jinrui
Sabagebu
Nozaki kun
Barakamon

Andrew J.

[Terror in Tokyo] - 6

- Some humour. Not that it needs to become a comedy, but when the tone of a work is this uniformly dour the audience grows used to it and it becomes less effective. If you lighten the mood and then make it more dramatic the audience will the dramatic tension more keenly because there'd be some actual context.

Did you ever see my post the other day about dramatic alleviation?

Aldnoah Zero - 07

Ah nice, so finally Slaine's actually going to meat the Princess. Curious wher eit goes from—Wait...what? What are you even trying to say Inaho? Don't make any premature judgment calls on your own, just bring him to the Princess and everyone else and then... ah god damn it.

I guess this kind of ruthlessness and determination makes his character at least somewhat more interesting.

Sure is one lucky coincidence to find that special cave right there... Like, one in a billion kind of coincidence.

Well I still don't care about the characters, the plot still seems pretty stupid so far and CGI mechs still look fucking ugly while I just can't seem to find the direction and choreography of the battles exciting whatsoever. Really can't get pumped watching Inaho sit totally relaxed in his Mech. When I compare that to the 'cockpit shots' in let's say Evangelion...

Mind you, I get that these are pretty simple mechs and all but still, the combat sequences are just a bore (as is everything else really).

SAO 2 - 07

Just...sigh.

I'll never understand how these characters can be so darn attached to that ALF world. Yeh they were trapped in SAO and...learned to live with that and even liked certain aspects. But the reasons as to why they would stay as far away possible from these virtual MMORPGs are plentiful. Like, why would Asuna even want to be in ALF. Like what good memories did she gain there?

It's not like it's just some minor thing they enjoy here and there. Apparently they spend most of their free time in that world and it's when you don't go online that your sister and friends are wondering what's going on.

God damn is that odd. Also...this Yui AI child is still a thing. I've got no words for that though.

edit:
Forgot one of the worst parts of this episode! When Kirito was breaking down because he's "a monster", since he cannot even remember the faces of the guys he killed...
Dude WHAT? Not only were they half-masked, they were trying their hardest to kill you while laughing manically. Are you seriously trying to tell me you find it impossible to see these kills as somewhat justified? But, no. I guess you're an evil person for not remembering the faces you didn't even really see.

Mr.Jeff

RJvtUj3.jpg
Call that a knife? This is a knife.

Dog Days' 03 - END

So we finish our whirlwind jaunt with this series. As expected it's not quite as good as the first. The increased cast spreads focus too thin on everyone and ultimately the series ends up as a fun frolic but with no particular climax. No particular character development outside a few key people and other sidelined entirely. Definitely a notch up on the humour which I really like though.

As expected childhood friend injects a completely boring and wearisome plotline in terms of still pining for the main lead. Sadly for the type of series it is, this will never be entirely resolved and the entire thing will exist in an eternal limbo. I may not particularly like Milhi but the events of last series pretty much paired her up only for annoying writing to spoil it.

Looking forward to series 3 though. It'll be nice to see if they manage to do anything worthwhile out of it this time. Eliminating Childhood friend would be nice. Or at least something worthwhile to justify the beam spam than completely non-threatening battles.

(Yukikaze still the best.)

The rest of Log Horizon next spaced out with some series 2 Lupin III

I don't know if this has been posted already or if its really old. Just saw a Parasyte trailer online.
Parasyte Anime Teaser

I'm super excited abt this anime, since I loved the manga.

Yeah it's been posted. I'm also excited for it to since it seems like it's gonna be a good anime. Based MadHouse.

Though I wonder how people feel about the character designs, since they are different to the manga from what I heard.

Shergal

Ojamajo Doremi ♯ 48-49
Hmm, it was okay. Let's just say I much preferred the way they ended the first season, although it seemed here that they were well aware more Doremi would be made, so they didn't go for as conclusive of an ending. Still, this final stretch of the season (46-49) was rather hectic and definitely not among the best. I still think Sharp is just as good as the first season, if not better -first season didn't have a pay-off on the level of ♯40 after all- but the wrap-up arc left me with a weird taste.

Well, it's something that should be easily fixed up if I keep going, lol.

Mr.Jeff

Mods please rename MrJeff to MofuJeff.
Well it makes a change from you calling for a tag like "#2 IS fan" or "#2 Dog Days Fan" or "Ask me about childhood friends" to be branded gifted with.

Edit: Although after the shocking irc revelation, it may end up being "Not actually called Jeff".

BGBW

Maturity, bitches.
QUALITY isn't really an issue for me. Just wondering if this new one was better for story.

But I'll consider looking into the old one then.

cajunator

Banned
Sailor Moon Crystal 04

Can't really find any faults in the animation this time. In fact, it looked quite beautiful throughout the episode. The ballroom dance was actually animated!

No sailor reveal this episode but we do get a brief glimpse of Sailor Jupiter at the end.

these screens look pretty good. Hopefully the art will improve as the show gains its identity. A lot of shows started with rough art.

I tried to warn you people.

Sometimes you just gotta let kids stick the fork in the electrical socket before they learn.

fertygo

The Servering Crime Edge 8-13 END

Goddamn at all of these loli lewdness and rape imagery, ugh.. Aside that though, I really baffled to how competent this show is, the action are nice, the horror atmosphere is well build up, and I still scratching my head to how some scene isn't feel cringe-worthy despite I see the narrative is pretty damn bad, but these scene direction is really holding your hand to make you engaged in correct way.. man its just so weird.

Its still not an show that I would recommend because I fully aware this can be considered very offensive and banal, but man its very fun and had some odd level of craft. that imaginary preview for S2 that wouldn't exist will hurt T_Y

Vylash

D-Frag! 01

iu0GIiwKfZ2Nx.gif
ilcQ0jnkDLQWR.gif

Until the day I die, I will never get tired of after school comedy anime. They're like Rice Krispie Treats, some awful "people" don't like them, but they're what truly makes the world go round. That was a pretty good first episode, I'm on board.

D-Frag! 01

iu0GIiwKfZ2Nx.gif
ilcQ0jnkDLQWR.gif

Until the day I die, I will never get tired of after school comedy anime. They're like Rice Krispie Treats, some awful "people" don't like them, but they're what truly makes the world go round. That was a pretty good first episode, I'm on board.

It get's even better especially with comedy, the laughs.

I started watching Samurai Champloo, do you guys prefer the dub or sub? I usually like subs but the dub has Steve Blum so I'm tempted to watch it instead...

what do you guys think of both overall?

Rhapsody

Banned
I started watching Samurai Champloo, do you guys prefer the dub or sub? I usually like subs but the dub has Steve Blum so I'm tempted to watch it instead...

Both are really good. I watched it in Japanese first but I don't feel like anything is lost with the dub.

Mahouka - 20
Ok episode that was fine on his own but lacked enough backstory to put things on perspective.

Mikihiko is clearly back to the level of being super cheated ...as for the rest it was finally nice to see finally tatsuya teasing rather than being teased.. TOO BAD WE LOST THE HOLIDAY ARC because this sudden reversal of positions would have made more sense.

Trully a shame

Firemind

The story is set in the Tokugawa period of Japan, so I'd have to go with subs. Setting is important and it doesn't hurt that the Japanese VAs do a bang up job. I'm tired of Blum's voice anyway. Spike Spiegel =/= Mugen

SAO II #7

This Spiegel kid is starting to piss me off. It's been a long time since I've seen an anime character be this thirsty. It's pathetic, really. Shinon should have just outright rejected him instead of giving him hope. He seems like one of those characters who can't take no for an answer...

Same here in Norway. They do dub some live action stuff on Disney channel and such though.

Yeah. It was pretty mindblowing as a kid when I first time traveled to some bigger european country (Germany) and turned tv on and you had dubbed hollywood movies. I was like wtf is this shit. People really watch these dubbed? I just don't get it how you can enjoy dubbed live action movies. It feels so wrong. The voice of some actors is what makes them so good.

OceanBlue

D-Frag! 01

In my opinion, the show gets better after the first episode, so hopefully you feel the same way!

Shard

XBLAnnoyance
Barakamon Episode 7:

There were some nice moments here and there but honestly this was a pretty weak episode overall, but a lot of that is because I find fishing to be dreadfully boring.

Barakamon 07

An alright episode, but probably the weakest besides 2.
Liked Naru's hook monstrosity though

Captain Earth 20

Pretty good episode, actually. Salty Dog should be gone for good next episode it looks like, then it should be a straight shot to the end with the Planetary Gears. Could be cool?
It was obvious the whole time but
Akari and Teppei finally got their moment.

Principate

Saint Titanfall
After this summer I'm genuinely looking forward to Shirou and his sexism as he saves women with his penis. At least I'll be entertained over his personality. Save me Fate Stay in the Kitchen, you're my only hope.

Well alongside the plethora of other great shows I'm looking forward to, the majority being new seasons. Including the better person whose names starts with 'Shiro'

Shirou sexism is pretty much non existent in UBW (the route this anime is actually adapting), and his whole character get's properly developed and fleshed out as why he is the way he is. He's actually by far the most well developed and interesting character in the show believe it or not.
He's battle with Archer his future self I consider the highlight of the whole VN

The Fate route which the Deen anime is based rightly gets as much shit as it does (generally why it's by far considered the worst route). But his character is very interesting.

Unless you've read the VN, then I wouldn't quite understand your view point.

Articalys

Today's Barakamon episode was probably the strongest one yet for me, from start to finish. If all the episodes so far were all this good it would easily be a contender for one of the season's best shows, but for now they vary too much to call it anything beyond a normal, decently enjoyable series.

Having larger and less English proficient audiences increases dub demand I suppose.

Having more exposition to the english trough tv, movies and games would increase that proficiency a lot though. I would say the biggest reason why we here in nordics speak by average better english than people in central europe is because from early childhood we get exposed to english pretty much daily trough tv and games.

Today's Barakamon episode was probably the strongest one yet for me, from start to finish. If all the episodes so far were all this good it would easily be a contender for one of the season's best shows, but for now they vary too much to call it anything beyond a normal, decently enjoyable series.

Huh.
Well, to each his own I guess.
It certainly wasn't a bad episode, just felt a little different from the other ones. I can see how people would like it a lot.

Mahouka Episode 20

We see Tatsuya trolling like no other in the first few minutes. Anyways we have a conspiracy going around between the west and the east. And what do you know we have a scene at the end with Man-Eating Tiger. Can't wait till the actual action occurs.

cajunator

Banned
Sword Art Online II - Epi. 7

For some weird reason I want to Kirito fall in love with Shino "Sinon" Asada. I want this anime to become School Days.

please no. PLEASE DONT RUIN SHINON. SHES ALL I GOT LEFT.

So Sailor Moon fans, am I better off watching the old series or continuing with this new one?

original. The new one isnt THAT different to be worth the suffering.

D-Frag! 01

iu0GIiwKfZ2Nx.gif
ilcQ0jnkDLQWR.gif

She is so cute. Makes me want to watch it.

On a plus note. Sword Art Online 7 marked the return of Klein.

Waitttttt
For serious?

Midonin

Happiness Charge Precure! 28

I want more World Tour episodes like this one. A change of scenery, and a look into the lives of another team of heroes who have clearly been going for as long as ours, if not longer, is much appreciated. Yuyu's been traveling all around the world to act as a temp magical girl for non-Japanese teams. Given the time zones and everything, it must take a lot of rice for her to be able to do that and still have energy. Even if it's not as complex or dynamic as the main heroines', love that Wave and Sunset got a transformation sequence and a finisher - and they defeated the MotW. It's their story, let them have a moment in the spotlight.

zulux21

fairy tail current episode.
alright episode... would have been way better if everyone wasn't shocked that he was eating a fire dragon since it was obvious he would at some point as soon as it walked through the portal :/

Principate

Saint Titanfall
She is so cute. Makes me want to watch it.

D-Frag is great one of the few animes adaptations of a manga I've already read that I bothered to watch (normally end up skipping them). The manga was so crazy with random shit per second and stuff thrown from all directions that's hard to take in at times so the anime helps.

My favourite part is when his sister meets his club and then she goes back to her brother completely distraught and broken and tells him she met his club. His face instantly transforms to the same expression. It pretty much sums up everything about the story.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom