• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Summer 2014 Anime |OT2| Or, where Jexhius finally watches more Doremi for Hito.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Quasar

In regards to your earlier post about light novel speed, it does take 1-2 months per novel to translate the text because these translators take their time to better localize than a fan-translation (guess which one of us has actually translated a novel before). There's utterly no way that any publisher would say "I'm going to have our translators work on this latest volume 34 books ahead and ignore the previous volumes!" because you'd alienate potential customers who haven't read the earlier novels.

Though that is Crunchyrolls exact strategy with manga that are midway through.

And of course I'm well aware that a professional non rushed translator turns out a better translation. Of course even with 'better' translations theres a range of issues surrounding that that I wonder about in terms of how Yen translators approach material compared to the general consensus of fan translators. Like what gets left in the Japanese and what gets localised. Such as name suffixes and honorifics. Hell I don't much want a localisation, just a translation. I don't want things like kotatsu translated to heater or food names changed to something thats common in the US.

You have to start at volume 1 and work up there. Yen heard the complaints that novels were coming out slow and so they increased their pace (even moreso for Index) and yet people still go "It's not up-to-date, so I'm not buying." It's incredibly self-defeating as a fanbase to think that way because you're just dooming the franchise to failure and you'll never get what you want.

It is understandable, but it puts folks who have been reading fan translations but would rather pay authors 'something' in a bit of a hard place. Especially when it comes to super long series like Index.

If I'm someone who has read all of Index and read up through volume 10 of Next Testament is my only option to buy the Yen books and wait for yen to hopefully one day catch up to that point, which may be 7 or 8 years from now?

Seems like the best moral option continues to be buy from amazon.jp and then read the fan translations as they come. At least if you are unwilling/unable to learn to read the Japanese edition.

cajunator

Banned
INVADERS of the ROKUJYOMA?!

Yes. Added to my CR list thanks!

so I spent most of my birthday in my room on the computer. Kind of sad.

I usually spend my birthday at work.

So it turns out that pulling together online resources covering anime isn't that hard. What is proving difficult is digging up old, good reviews of anime that aren't my own (I tend to save links to my larger posts).

I know that plenty of people have written great stuff but I just can't find it all (mainly because I've forgotten who wrote what when). So, don't be shy, just send me links to your own stuff and I'll look to include it! The same is true if you happen to remember anyone else's posts.

I suppose the fact that this is such hard work just illustrates the need to collate and save these kinds of posts because otherwise they just go missing. So far I have:

Patlabor by Jexhius

Giant Robo - by Jexhius

The Big O: Thoughts and analysis by CorvoSol

Pupipo! by hosannainexcelsis

Gundam Build Fighters: Episode 21: Amid the Glittering Particles by CorvoSol

Log Horizon by Jexhius

Jin-Roh: The Wolf Brigade by Typographenia

Ninja Scroll by Typographenia

The History of AnimeGAF
by Nafe

Angel's Egg by icarus-deadelus

Just bumping this for more visibility.

Karas Ep. 1

Decided to give this a watch, since I'm curious how the director's upcoming Shingeki no Bahamut Genesis is going to turn out. So far the story seems needlessly complex with how vague plot details are and the nonlinear flow of the narrative. It's pretty clear that this wants its substance to be the style, given how lavish the visuals are. All the visual effects at work remind of Ufotable. The action is a bit hard to follow given the heavy use of CGI and digital effects, but despite that I found it engrossing. The opening sequence in particular is pretty cool. I'm not familiar with Japanese mythology all that much, so I'm likely to miss some of the references and symbolism. The biggest flaw so far certainly has to be that the CGI is particularly rough at times. During some shots the models are visibly aliased, and the lighting choices are certainly partly used to cover up other inadequacies.
iX4KoVefeFzXk.png
An example of the aliasing. Maybe it's just the encoding. I presume this was made in HD but it might still be an upscale.

Edit: Looking at the credits, this episode was directed by Kenji Nakamura (Welcome to Irabu's Office, Tsuritama, Gatchaman Crowds, etc.). Huh.

Though that is Crunchyrolls exact strategy with manga that are midway through.

And of course I'm well aware that a professional non rushed translator turns out a better translation. Of course even with 'better' translations theres a range of issues surrounding that that I wonder about in terms of how Yen translators approach material compared to the general consensus of fan translators, in terms of what gets left in the Japanese and what gets localised. Such as name suffixes and honorifics.

It is understandable, but it puts folks who have been reading fan translations but would rather pay authors 'something' in a bit of a hard place. Especially when it comes to super long series like Index.

If I'm someone who has read all of Index and read up through volume 10 of Next Testament is my only option to buy the Yen books and wait for yen to hopefully one day catch up to that point, which may be 7 or 8 years from now?

Seems like the best moral option continues to be buy from amazon.jp and then read the fan translations as they come. At least if you are unwilling/unable to learn to read the Japanese edition.
Crunchy started out with that strategy for their manga, but the newer titles have started with chapter 1 and proceeded to get up to date through their catalog.

Earlier this month, one of Yen's translators (Paul Starr) held a "Light novel translation" panel where a lot of the concerns you raised were answered. Things like honorifics depend on the title. There's no good reason to keep them in a world like Spice and Wolf, so the editors decided not to do that. No footnotes are kept, even though Starr wrote them. It's just how publishing works of fiction in English now go. Honorifics are easily translated by altering how that character speaks to someone else; you don't need to keep the "-san"/"-chan"/etc.

While buying the Yen releases is not your only option to support the author (and arguments could be made that it supports them less than buying the JP versions), it's probably the easiest for a lot of people. There's fans who don't want to read books on computer screens and these novels help them experience the same material. Though it's apparently intolerable to people who have kept up with fan-translations, Yen's opening up these titles to a larger audience who wouldn't have read them otherwise. Feel free to go ahead and import the JP releases while reading fan-translations; you're probably one of the few who are doing that speaking from experience.

I didn't realize that index had so many books... either way I am reading yen only obtained rights to the first 22 of them.
If they sell well enough I imagine they will eventually come out, but as for them being slow well... it's not like japanese light novels are big sellers. We are lucky in general that we are getting them officially translated in english. It's going to take a while to translate them as bringing in more people to do it faster would cost more money and likely would cause them to lose money on the releases and they need to make money.

I can understand wanting them closer to release, but unless a series takes off like attack on titan did I can't see a company like yen justifying speeding up releases.

it looks like release 1 will be nov 18th, release 2 will be feb 25th, so that will be about 4 books a year or take a little over 5 years to release the first series which is a little faster than the original releases >.>;

Index books are something else. 22 books and that's barely enough for a S3 of index. and right now we have enough material for a S4 or S5 .

The guy is writting too much , too fast. Not to mention that at book 22 ,
you'll have the most bullsh*t cliffanger EVER
As for the localisation , i'm glad someone took the rights , but this is gonna be a long and slow wait for all of you guys that haven't seen/read those yet.

cajunator

Banned
THIS POST CONTAINS SPOILERS FOR

All of this, some of which I discussed earlier in the thread, comes to head in what I believe is actually--and take notes GundamGAF, as I'm only saying this once--one of the most brilliant characters in the entire show. A character I actually love, because of how she so perfectly illustrates Imagawa's flawless mastery and command of this technique. I am, of course, referring to Allenby Beardsley.

The thing about Allenby is that she's an instant hit, both with fans and with Domon. She's every bit the Gundam fighter that he and the Shuffle Alliance are, a quick study, and much, much easier for Domon to relate to than Rain. A big thing in G Gundam is communication through the martial arts, so it makes sense that Allenby and Domon seem naturally drawn to each other, because she 'gets' him. Since Domon and Rain's relationship has been boiling beneath a surface heaped with spectacular events and the mountains that are Master Asia, Kyoji, and the Devil Gundam, it makes sense that people would initially assume that Domon had way more in common with Allenby and that their relationship was far better.

But the point I want to stress is that every last thing about Allenby is a feint. The viewers are meant to latch on to her, meant to enjoy her relationship with Domon, meant to cheer as Domon does everything in his power to save her from the Berserk Nobel Gundam, and meant to love the God and Nobel's recreation of the God and Shining's Bridal pose. And all the while that viewers latch on to Allenby and everything about her, Imagawa teases them lovingly with the character of Wong Yun Fat.

The point of all of this is first, to show viewers and Domon what a real relationship could be like, rather than the unresolved tension he has with Rain, second, to set up the much larger instance of Rain inside the Devil Gundam and Rain's emotions running amok because of it, and third, to drive a wedge between Domon and Rain. Each of these goes off without a hitch, and it isn't long before the show's grand finale is underway. Allenby loses to Rain, though, because for all that she was, Domon's decision had been made as far back as episode 8, if not further.

The show's finale, then, is the culmination and combination of all of these ideas. The grandiose battle between the Gundam Federation and the Devil Colony Gundam is nothing more than the vehicle through which to tell the story of Domon and Rain, and, I argue, to sort of shake a central notion of both Gundam and Super Robot anime to its core.

I just gotta say Im glad this Allenby is a good character because she's a total cutie.
I always kind of liked Emma Sheen for some reason.

Cardcaptor Sakura 6

So today's episode seems to feature...the Mirror of Erised?

A bunny girl outfit?

Well, this might just be a bigger coincidence than Aldnoah.Zero.

And now Yukito is watching her sleep. And stroking her hair. This guy is just a tad creepy.

Did I just read the words "sister complex" in this show?

Two magical girl outfits in one episode? This is a rare treat!

And she falls for the same trick twice. Sakura's...special.

...did she just eat a whole roll in one bite?

Yukito isnt a creeper. Her catgirl outfit is coming up. That ones the best. Im not biased.

Midonin

Magimoji Rurumo 08

Haruriri's not such a bad person, after all. Rurumo is way too work obsessed, though. Not sure how much of that is the magical world's training and how much is simply her personality. And I get what the show's going for with the cycling team that it mentioned. Synergy!

Majmun

The only anime shows I've ever watched were Dragonball Z, Naruto and Bleach. But I stopped watching them because they were too long. I just lost interest.

What are some good anime shows that are short and awesome? I don't mind how old they are. As long as there's not much filler.

Antiwhippy

the holder of the trombone
The only anime shows I've ever watched were Dragonball Z, Naruto and Bleach. But I stopped watching them because they were too long. I just lost interest.

What are some good anime shows that are short and awesome? I don't mind how old they are. As long as there's not much filler.

FLCL.

Joe Molotov

Mars of Destruction

Principate

Saint Titanfall

Legend of galactic heroes wait that's too lon.. FMA:B neh too long also seems like your stuck with the late night anime types. Probably try Gurren Laggan.

Narag

Not a lot to go on here but here's some 26 eps or less suggestions:

Cowboy Bebop
SamuraI Champloo
Code: Breaker
Gundam Build Fighters
Berserk
Fate/Zero
JoJo's Bizarre Adventure (2012)

Those are all TV. If interested, in OVA/movies which you might be given concerns about length:

Most anything Ghibli not named Earthsea
Sword of the Stranger
Castle of Cagliostro
Macross Plus
Riding Bean

Cowboy Bebop
Samurai Champloo
Baccano
Gurren Lagann
Mushishi

No filler anywhere.

Majmun

Cowboy Bebop is only 26 episodes? Hmm, that one always looked interesting, but I always thought it was another 596032 episode anime.

How is Death Note? I keep hearing great stuff about that one.

And thanks for the recommendations. The amount of interesting anime shows is overhwelming.

Magimoji Rurumo Episode 8

Im glad Rurumo is thinking of everyone as her friends and finally has at least someone in the other realm to be a friend for, was always sounding so bad that everyone was picking on her there.

Kota is truly a good person to be around and Im glad that, even if he is super pervy, he can still be a great guy to help others out.

Cowboy Bebop is only 26 episodes? Hmm, that one always looked interesting, but I always thought it was another 596032 episode anime.

How is Death Note? I keep hearing great stuff about that one.

And thanks for the recommendations. The amount of interesting anime shows is overhwelming.

The first 25 episodes of Death Note are entertaining if you don't mind the over the top presentation and writing, but after that the quality drops significantly.

Cowboy Bebop is a great show, I'd recommend starting there.

Andrew J.

The must-watch space western trio:

Cowboy Bebop
Trigun
Outlaw Star

Link Man

Banned

Humanity has Declined

Gosick 24

The second world war ends in 1929 and everything is good.

Well... Historical weirdness and some incredibly dumb solutions to most of the mysteries aside, I actually liked this show. Always entertaining, I enjoyed the way all of the stories tied together in the end and you should all know I like melodrama by now :p

I liked the interaction between the two main characters and the comedy. Some of the time the MC looked a lot like Makoto in School Days which was a bit strange though. Of the OP and EDs, I thought the first ED was the best.

Maybe I've just watched too much not-so-good anime lately and I'm just glad this is not terrible, but I feel like I like this one enough to give it 4.5/5 pendants:
9O07t43.png
9O07t43.png
9O07t43.png
9O07t43.png
pUONpZ3.png

Gosenzo-sama Banbanzai!

That was... interesting. Mamoru Oshii doing a tragicomedy in 1989. Tragicomedy is a very typical theater genre, and in fact the entire work is thought as a stage play. That includes the fact that most of this 6-part OAV series is seen from the audience perspective, a unchanging camera put to the side while most of the action occur in long scenes that maintain the location, but not only that, the script itself is written with the somewhat wordy, slightly exaggerated style that lots of stage plays uses. And well, it something exactly hidden, they go 100% theater style and there are parts where you can see the focus lights, the characters enter and exit like in stage with the audience clapping, in fact the character use the metaphor of being in the drama of life like actors, etc etc.

jR0pi0F.png

side view, all the first ep is in the same location, "theater dialog"

nIDK8TK.png

light from above focusing him while he does his lines

0herXje.png

more ceiling light focus, exit by one of the sides...
jUQnWR9.png

and lightning fast costume change by the actress

i4mHuVG.png

final exit using a trap door, central colored light for her, public clapping in the scene

And this is only the first episode. Later, it also includes a few musical numbers!

I read somewhere that is was a comedy, but I think it's a familiar tragedy at its core where the comedy part enters first by a few specific funny moments but mainly by a subtle sardonic tone of ridiculousness and exaggerations that transpires the work. Though curiously
by the end seems to establish more firmly in the tragedy

The overall story consist of a family that falls fully in disarray (though before they weren't exactly the best family ever) with the arrival of the grand-daughter of the son of the family, coming from the future to meet her ancestors.

There is some nice oldschool animation, this being a 90s OAV, though don't expect craziness as there aren't action scenes.

Looking at the credits, there is an impressive collection of animators, but I was searching in the credits more for the character designer. I'm sure I've watched other stuff designed by him, with the same noses (aside from Akira, I noticed that), eyes and sticky members.

edit: It seems more a case of Takashi Nakamura style that infected the character design for Gosenzosama, Satoru Utsunomiya. Or maybe it's the other way, whatever. Both worked on Akira, at least, which is a bit in the middle of both styles.

Jex

Well, as your experience with anime is fairly limited I won't recommend anything too 'far out there' e.g. Mononoke. It's short but it may be a bit too weird for you.

The easy ones are:

FLCL
Cowboy Bebop (I wouldn't call a 26 episode show 'short' but compared to Naruto it is)
Samurai Shamplo (ditto)
Ping Pong
Silver Spoon
Kizuna Icchigeki
Baccano

Sword Art Online II Episode 9 - Death Gun

The music kind of doesnt fit for Bullet of Bullets, surely the composer could have gone for less of a fantasy type song and more of a modern type affair like a soundtrack similar to the type of music onoken and mintjam etc did for Accel World. It just seems strange to have a shooting game with these dilapidated ruins and such using a song that sounds similar to something from Aincrad/ALfheim Online.

Light saber moment best.

Clov

Gosenzo-sama Banbanzai!

That was... interesting. Mamoru Oshii doing a tragicomedy in 1989. Tragicomedy is a very typical theater genre, and in fact the entire work is thought as a stage play. That includes the fact that most of this 6-part OAV series is seen from the audience perspective, a unchanging camera put to the side while most of the action occur in long scenes that maintain the location, but not only that, the script itself is written with the somewhat wordy, slightly exaggerated style that lots of stage plays uses. And well, it something exactly hidden, they go 100% theater style and there are parts where you can see the focus lights, the characters enter and exit like in stage with the audience clapping, in fact the character use the metaphor of being in the drama of life like actors, etc etc.

And this is only the first episode. Later, it also includes a few musical numbers!

I read somewhere that is was a comedy, but I think it's a familiar tragedy at its core where the comedy part enters first by a few specific funny moments but mainly by a subtle sardonic tone of ridiculousness and exaggerations that transpires the work. Though curiously
by the end seems to establish more firmly in the tragedy

The overall story consist of a family that falls fully in disarray (though before they weren't exactly the best family ever) with the arrival of the grand-daughter of the son of the family, coming from the future to meet her ancestors.

There is some nice oldschool animation, this being a 90s OAV, though don't expect craziness as there aren't action scenes.

Looking at the credits, there is an impressive collection of animators, but I was searching in the credits more for the character designer. I'm sure I've watched other stuff designed by him, with the same noses (aside from Akira, I noticed that), eyes and sticky members.

edit: It seems more a case of Takashi Nakamura style that infected the character design for Gosenzosama, Satoru Utsunomiya. Or maybe it's the other way, whatever. Both worked on Akira, at least, which is a bit in the middle of both styles.

Oshii directing a tragicomedy? You've got my interest! I'll be sure to watch this next.

Midonin

Ikkitousen Xtreme Xecutor 01-03

OP and ED are both pretty good, and the addition of Bachou is a good thing for the show. Any time that Hakufu isn't in the spotlight is generally much better for the show overall, and much like Kanu and friends, I loved her Koihime incarnation, so her Ikkitousen version will at least get some of that residual goodwill. The baseball training robot was on the silly side - no more so than the dragons, though - and I'm not that hot on having another tournament, but this is not the worst anime ever. It's been showing steady signs of improvement. The Kanu and friends backstory was handled alright, too. The five minute recap at the start was a bit much.

Sword Art Online II 09

You'd think Death Gun would choose a less obvious nickname. That he has the same kind of gun that Sinon was traumatized over also feels like a bit of a stretch, but that aspect of Sinon I'm okay with. I'm also curious why everyone in ALO needs to be logged on to watch another MMO. Watching it in the much safer real world in a probably air conditioned room sounds like a better option - we know they all go to the same school and live roughly in the same area.

Branduil

Sword Art Online II Episode 9 - Death Gun

The music kind of doesnt fit for Bullet of Bullets, surely the composer could have gone for less of a fantasy type song and more of a modern type affair like a soundtrack similar to the type of music onoken and mintjam etc did for Accel World. It just seems strange to have a shooting game with these dilapidated ruins and such using a song that sounds similar to something from Aincrad/ALfheim Online.

You say that like Kajiura can switch genres.

Defuser

Just saw a glimpse of Aldnoah Zero ep 9 an all I can say is..

WHAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAT!?

WHAT THE FUCK? Fuck you Takayama Katsuhiko.

Aldnoah Zero 09

Urobutcher is the original story of this show after all,but this episode still make me
sIXmHPv.jpg

Gen just created the concept and the first 3 episodes but it's Takayama Katsuhiko who is writing majority of it.

Just saw a glimpse of Aldnoah Zero ep 9 an all I can say is..

WHAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAT!?

WHAT THE FUCK? Fuck you Takayama Katsuhiko.

Gen just created the concept and the first 3 episodes but it's Takayama Katsuhiko who is writing majority of it.
Whatever,he's effect still there i guess

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom