• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Summer 2014 Anime |OT2| Or, where Jexhius finally watches more Doremi for Hito.

Status
Not open for further replies.
PSA to all who watch Space Dandy early on Toonami, it's on an hour earlier today (11:30 EST) due to a 6 hour long Attack on Titan marathon
DARE I?

Stardust Crusaders 22
I'm sorry. But you can give me an explanation six ways to Sunday and I'd cry bullshit. Every. Signle. Time.

The true explanation is "editors and fan outcry".
You can't beat that.

----------------------------------------------

Captain Earth 22

Holy shit is today cliffhanger day?
If this was the last episode it would've been 10/10 episode

ONII-SAMA the Animation 22

Why are all the scenes so fucking empty in this series?
Giant buildings with no one in them, empty hallways, no cars on the roads.
That fight scene was kinda cool though. Topped off by that incredibly touching scene with Miyuki and Onii-sama.

Well, they already made Mario and Zelda cartoons... and there was Captain N. lol

Lol, never heard of Captain N. Will search here for more information.

Captain Falcon already has an over the top action anime.

Yes, I knew that, but I thought about doing something for the current generation to watch, and try to "bring back" the character.

I would say have Koike make an F-Zero anime, but that's basically what Redline is anyway, so there's no need.

Animal Crossing already has an anime movie, actually. Haven't watched it though. I wouldn't mind watching a full Kid Icarus anime, with how amusing Uprising was.

I watched a bit of the Animal Crossing movie, not the whole thing, will try that later. I still haven't played KI:U, though, the talk about the controls scare me.

Clov

zdoG3.gif

Sadly I think that's the last episode with that OP that has the sweet sax intro.

I could have listened to it for the rest of the series too! Hope the second half has a good OP.

On the topic of Nintendo related anime though, anyone remember the Fire Emblem OVA? It was kind of lame.

Jex

Regardless of all the talk for this current episode of Aldnoah.Zero I'm going to stop watching the show for now. If people tell me it's good ten episodes from now I'll return to it. I can't be bothered to invest any more time into a show that has been so uneven.

cajunator

Banned
Wow. That reminds me of Anime Web Turnpike. A lot of the sites back then in anime webrings looked like that.

Yeah I think it was supposed to look like that mid 90s Anipike style

You say that like Kajiura can switch genres.

Oh damn. Its unfrotunately true though. But at least she branched out a little with Kalafina.

lol Didn't even catch that. Doubt
she's dead though. Unless OP is a giant troll.

It seems it would take a lot more than that...
Especially after what happened before..

Good ol' Otaking. It's a good reminder to see what he's done lately.

edit: THink I linked this last time but still lol... http://mightyotaking.deviantart.com/art/House-of-Cards-459607109

Too much shading

Please Teacher! 03

Heh. An actual marriage then.

How can the principal be ok with this? Oh wait... I see...

And they're married now, but it's still difficult to get a kiss when everybody seems to be out to disturb them.

mankoto

SAO II 9
"Hey, let's split up and look for a potential murderer."
"That's fine with me since I don't believe those rumors."
"
Oh my God I might actually die right now. He even has the same gun I used years ago... What am I going to do?
"
The true explanation is "editors and fan outcry".
You can't beat that.
Tsk. Tsk.

Jarmel

Banned
Oh and the writing in SAO this week was awful.

"Hey guy doesn't appear on the radar. Let's not check who actually is on the radar so we can use the process of elimination to find out who is Death Gun."

Sword Art Online 2 9
Starts off with the other waifus watching the battle. Out of the them, only Klein actually knows shit about Laughing Coffin and since it was hard enough for that they can't figure Kirito's business in GGO is related to that. And somehow Death Gun is OP like Kirito and avoids a sniper shot and still kills Pale Rider. The fight that followed with the random player wasn't bad, better than what's been shown in flashback. The ending bit
with the gun being the same model as the one that caused Shion's trauma which clearly reminds you who Death Gun is and the annoying cliffhanger cliche making you think that the character has died but, we know she survives

cajunator

Banned
Sword Art Online 2 9
Starts off with the other waifus watching the battle. Out of the them, only Klein actually knows shit about Laughing Coffin and since it was hard enough for that they can't figure Kirito's business in GGO is related to that. And somehow Death Gun is OP like Kirito and avoids a sniper shot and still kills Pale Rider. The fight that followed with the random player wasn't bad, better than what's been shown in flashback. The ending bit
with the gun being the same model as the one that caused Shion's trauma which clearly reminds you who Death Gun is and the annoying cliffhanger cliche making you think that the character has died but, we know she survives

Yeah, there's basically no way the show would go through with it.

Clov

Just started the 8th episode of Gundam 0083 Stardust Memory. I thought there was no way the new opening theme could match the old one... I was wrong. I might actually like it a bit more than the first one, actually.

fertygo

Just started the 8th episode of Gundam 0083 Stardust Memory. I thought there was no way the new opening theme could match the old one... I was wrong. I might actually like it a bit more than the first one, actually.
Its all about that ED though for Stardust Memory.

Jex

THIS POST CONTAINS SPOILERS FOR

Mobile Fighter G Gundam

Reading all this makes me think that the Gundam franchise is in a really strange place right now, caught between tradition and reinvention.

At the time of it's release, G Gundam represented a breath of fresh air in more ways than one. It was the first series that broke away from the main overall Universal Century story arc that ran from 1979-1994. On top of that, the show is in a completely different genre than previous Gundams. As opposed to being a war/drama G Gundam is a martial arts/superhero series where all the major characters pilot robots. I'm surprised they even called it Gundam but I imagine they wanted, and needed, to broaden the brands appeal. Up until this point Gundam was getting buried in it's own lore, burdened by it's universe. Sunrise clearly needed to make works that would and could appeal to anyone, not just UC nerds. In that light, G Gundam represents a kind of a freedom, both creatively and for audiences unfamiliar with the rest of the UC.

Now here's where my opinion gets a little controversial. While G Gundam was the first show to strive out on it's own in search of new ground I'd also argue that it was the last one to do so. Sunrise stopped striving to make something new and different. They'd gone too far. Future so called 'Alternate Universe' shows basically returned to the same tired Colony/Earth war stories that Gundam shows had been telling for decades. Many of these shows were just recycled material from these older shows but painted it up as something fresh for a new generation of fans. Even Turn A is basically the same old show, except that the writing openly questions the ideas held in by those shows.

After mining old ideas so many times it's hardly surprising that Sunrise have finally dropped the pretense and returned to the UC in the hopes of reaching into the wallets of older fans. In this, as with many of their business ventures, they have been wildly successful. I, personally, don't care about the UC and all of it's tiresome lore (newtypes more like zzzztypes) but I understand that it holds a certain sway. Still, I feel that by retreating to these tried and true ideas Sunrise are avoiding making something that's actually fresh and interesting. Nothing they've made in years has been as radical as G Gundam. Perhaps the good ideas have simply gone to other shows e.g. Code Geass.

But what about GBF? Gundam Build Fighters is a glorified commercial filled with nostalgia and great action. It's better than just about every other show in the last few years because it knew exactly what the audience wanted from it and it delivered on that. it wasn't filled with dumb politics, moralising and stupid war stuff that no-one cares about It was striped down and simple and good. The characters were likeable and it was actually fun. Can you remember the last Gundam that was fun?

It represents a step in right direction but as Sunrise have already moved to 'sequalise' I don't know if they learned their lesson, GBF didn't just succeed because it pandered to old school fans, it succeeded because it was a genuinely well made and effective show. Whether Sunrise realise this or not is another question. Can Sunrise keep it up? I hope so because if they don't I will safely ignore their output.

Vito

Banned
Finally a nice Yama no Susume pinup https://yande.re/post/show/296739/ also nice to see AnoNatsu getting a pinup (not linking, too NSFW, just click drop's name on the link and check his other uploads). Too lazy & tired to try and figure out why Ikkitousen has a sudden comeback though, lol.

Andrew J.

Reading all this makes me think that the Gundam franchise is in a really strange place right now, caught between tradition and reinvention.

At the time of it's release, G Gundam represented a breath of fresh air in more ways than one. It was the first series that broke away from the main overall Universal Century story arc that ran from 1979-1994. On top of that, the show is in a completely different genre than previous Gundams. As opposed to being a war/drama G Gundam is a martial arts/superhero series where all the major characters pilot robots. I'm surprised they even called it Gundam but I imagine they wanted, and needed, to broaden the brands appeal. Up until this point Gundam was getting buried in it's own lore, burdened by it's universe. Sunrise clearly needed to make works that would and could appeal to anyone, not just UC nerds. In that light, G Gundam represents a kind of a freedom, both creatively and for audiences unfamiliar with the rest of the UC.

Now here's where my opinion gets a little controversial. While G Gundam was the first show to strive out on it's own in search of new ground I'd also argue that it was the last one to do so. Sunrise stopped striving to make something new and different. They'd gone too far. Future so called 'Alternate Universe' shows basically returned to the same tired Colony/Earth war stories that Gundam shows had been telling for decades. Many of these shows were just recycled material from these older shows but painted it up as something fresh for a new generation of fans. Even Turn A is basically the same old show, except that the writing openly questions the ideas held in by those shows.

After mining old ideas so many times it's hardly surprising that Sunrise have finally dropped the pretense and returned to the UC in the hopes of reaching into the wallets of older fans. In this, as with many of their business ventures, they have been wildly successful. I, personally, don't care about the UC and all of it's tiresome lore (newtypes more like zzzztypes) but I understand that it holds a certain sway. Still, I feel that by retreating to these tried and true ideas Sunrise are avoiding making something that's actually fresh and interesting. Nothing they've made in years has been as radical as G Gundam. Perhaps the good ideas have simply gone to other shows e.g. Code Geass.

But what about GBF? Gundam Build Fighters is a glorified commercial filled with nostalgia and great action. It's better than just about every other show in the last few years because it knew exactly what the audience wanted from it and it delivered on that. it wasn't filled with dumb politics, moralising and stupid war stuff that no-one cares about It was striped down and simple and good. The characters were likeable and it was actually fun. Can you remember the last Gundam that was fun?

It represents a step in right direction but as Sunrise have already moved to 'sequalise' I don't know if they learned their lesson, GBF didn't just succeed because it pandered to old school fans, it succeeded because it was a genuinely well made and effective show. Whether Sunrise realise this or not is another question. Can Sunrise keep it up? I hope so because if they don't I will safely ignore their output.

I can't help but wonder what would have happened if Sunrise mecha shows like Code Geass and Valvrave (which marry Gundam-style military/political drama with crazy magical conspiracies) had just been made as Gundam anime. They wouldn't have departed as far from the norm as G did, I think, so they'd have been accepted by fans, eventually.

Another watchbet with phoenix296. This time it's...

SAO 01

So, beta tester Kirito teaches new guy Klein the ropes in this VR MMO, and then they find out that they're trapped there. And it's not a bug, it's a feature. The creator of the game must be some kind of madman then. :p

Hm... Why are the resources limited though? Sounds strange. *never played any MMO*

CorvoSol

I really want to type out a great response to this, but I'm camping, so I can't. I think you're dead on about G being more or less the only major departure from series conventions, though. X is sort of just a what if on MSG, Wing feels like a highlights version of MSG-CCA, and SEED and AGE are almost straight recaps of UC. Only 00 seemed different at first, and S2 becamea terrible retread of Zeta.

Although I loved GBF, I kinda think the entire genre needs something big to kickstart it.

Haly

One day I realized that sadness is just another word for not enough coffee.
Hm... Why are the resources limited though? Sounds strange. *never played any MMO*

In the olden days, when leveling in MMO amounted to killing stuff over and over again, and respawn rates were typically low, there would be particularly good areas to level up that were hotly contested by the players.

The genre is dead and we're at the part where we watch the snake's head flip and flop around for another 30 seconds.

Majestic Prince started slow but it's second half was fantastic

Sword Art Online S2 E9

KFBUeBI.png

What's wrong with your faaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaace

Also it's too bad SAO has no balls besides for the ones used to shoot two years worth of glop into Asuna because that cliff hanger had zero impact because nobody actually expects them to
kill of Sinon

Quasar

Also it's too bad SAO has no balls besides for the ones used to shoot two years worth of glop into Asuna because that cliff hanger had zero impact because nobody actually expects them to
kill of Sinon

Well thats true of pretty much all cliffhangers in serial media.

Midonin

Happiness Charge Precure 30

She was only around for one episode, but
Unlovely
was a nice opponent. Right up there with Dark Precure as far as... well, Dark Precures go. (I love the Bad End team in theory, but they didn't leave much of an impact.) Innocent Form didn't quite make its debut, but the new attack - Happiness Big Bang - was pretty impressive. Just because it's a dresser doesn't mean it can't wreck things. And the backstory was just what we expected, but also fairly unique for the franchise.
Queen Mirage was once Cure Mirage, so our villainess is a former Precure herself. Fallen heroes are something Precure could start to use more often.

Cardcaptor Sakura 20

Meiling is super, super in your face, but I like her. She's got energy, and her jealous streak makes her cute. The Fight card sounds like it'd go really well when coupled with Power. I'm starting to think the reason that Meiling was added to the show was to be a foil. A "Tomoyo" of sorts for Syaoran. I don't mind things not being 100% faithful because I don't really read manga anyway, and if it fits with the tone and spirit of the show, then no prob. So far, she does.

SAO 02

It's a boss fight.

And it's also 1 month later and 20% of the players have died. Some tension between new players and beta testers too. Asuna is introduced, which is the main female character I guess since she's all over the OP. :p

Syrinx

Cardcaptor Sakura 20

Meiling is super, super in your face, but I like her. She's got energy, and her jealous streak makes her cute. The Fight card sounds like it'd go really well when coupled with Power. I'm starting to think the reason that Meiling was added to the show was to be a foil. A "Tomoyo" of sorts for Syaoran. I don't mind things not being 100% faithful because I don't really read manga anyway, and if it fits with the tone and spirit of the show, then no prob. So far, she does.

One thing Meiling serves to do is to make Syaoran a less intimidating presence for Sakura, as her love for him/energy/jealousy really exhaust him. Kinda brings him down to her level, which allows their relationship to develop.

AldnoaLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOL

LOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLO

ARE YOU KIDDING ME

FUCK THIS STUPID SHOW

THIS MAKES SAO LOOK LIKE THE SMARTEST ANIME IN YEARS

If SAO = Kotaku levels of hack writing, then Aldnoah Zero = Polygon, this series is a god damn joke and makes most of the bad anime I've seen in the past 2 years look 10x better

Ace of Diamond Episode 46 (Pitching of Despair)

Really good episode especially
was kind of wanting a surprising upset, but Sakurazawa only had one killer move up their sleeve and of course, Inashiro has not only Mei but an entire team of fierce folks. His pitching is incredible and never got old. I dream of the day of a Seidou Inashiro match. I bet itd go for no less than 12 episodes even.

Good music for inspiring moments.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom