• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Summer 2014 Anime |OT2| Or, where Jexhius finally watches more Doremi for Hito.

Status
Not open for further replies.

cajunator

Banned
Another watchbet with phoenix296. This time it's...

SAO 01

So, beta tester Kirito teaches new guy Klein the ropes in this VR MMO, and then they find out that they're trapped there. And it's not a bug, it's a feature. The creator of the game must be some kind of madman then. :p

Hm... Why are the resources limited though? Sounds strange. *never played any MMO*

Ive played a total of 5 minutes of an MMO before getting bored. Definitely not something for me. However, it isnt really that that makes me notl ike SAO because I do enjoy Log Horizon a lot. Just SAO is so self serving it seemed to forgo everything else to become some kind of nauseating self insertion fantasy that really just didnt appeal to me.

I keep saying this show is the dollar store brand of Code Geass cola.

This is a GREAT way to describe it actually!

Excel Saga 1-16

Excel-Saga.jpg

It's so strange and random, and I like it.

Be careful marathoning this show. It can become exhausting!
Really great and high energy humor though. Truly one of a kind.

Hopefully didn't pick the wrong topic to post in, but I'm looking for recommendations at this point. My recent exploits have been:

Attack on Titan
Danganronpa
Psycho Pass
Kill la Kill

Enjoyed each of them.

Should I take a look at SAO? Is there any other shows available on Netflix I should take a look at?

Thx in advance!

I wouldnt recommend it personally but if you are curious, give it a try.

Elfen Lied 11-13/OVA

Well, they managed to satisfy my bloodlust...almost all of it
Goddammit, why couldn't Bandoh die?!
. Could have done without the OVA. Overall, I liked it a lot. The anime ending isn't the manga ending, is it?

Yeah that guy sucked but at least he got some come-uppance lol.

Nozaki-kun 9

Not the strongest episode since most of the side characters, besides once again the pretty dull manga industry ones, got a showing. Next episode since it's back to the high schoolers it should be a good episode though.

Shergal

Not having to wait for the series to be "finished"

ah. I know how it feels, I'd been suffering it with Heidi until a little while ago.

I think I'm just gonna get through all the remaining episodes in one go later today, cutting it off when the series is in the middle of its final stretch doesn't sound like a good choice.

Narag

Except none of the fights had anything resembling good choreography. A number of scenes were literally Kirito wailing on a shield.

I don't know, I enjoyed the General Eugene fight more than I thought I could have when I saw it. I may have just been surprised though!

cajunator

Banned
I am so behind on Space Dandy right now.

Same. It got put way on the backburner.

Yami to Boushi to Hon no Tabibito 01

MikeHattsu watchbet time.

Okay. It start and it looks to be some hot and heavy yuri with a deaf girl. Then suddenly green light and deaf girl can speak before she vanishes. Cut to a train with Russians, a bomb, a witch girl and a busty diplomat that fails to pose as a man. I have no idea wtf is going on and I don't know what I'm in for.

YESSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSS
Oh I look forward to this!

genius. thats what!

what exactly is Hyouka Episode 11.5? It follows right after the murder mystery movie right?

Its rather boring and a swimsuit episode. Entirely forgettable and nonessential part of Hyouka.

Just pick your favorite Strike Witch. This isn't hard!

This is a great suggestion!
In fact, its what I did!

All of the witches are in love with me, it's true.

We all love ya Zachy, even us non-strike witches.

Speaking of mecha, I want to check out something from the last few years but nothing seems all that appealing. :\ (I'm still going to check out Gundam Build Fighters but that is more of a proxy battle tournament show.)

Honestly if you didnt enjoy Angelic Layer GBF is basically the exact same thing. You might not like it either for the same reasons.

Trava: Fist Planet-

So I decided to give this a watch as I'm on a Kanada mindset and Imaishi storyboarded the 2nd episode. Trava is a 4 episode OVA, each episode runs about 12 minutes, that focuses around a pilot and his mechanic. There are other characters as well and they're part of the problems I have with the OVA. The series was directed by Katsuhito Ishii and Takeshi Koike,both of Redline fame. On that note, the art direction is very much in line with Redline.

For being a 40 minute OVA, this was boring as fuck at times. The first 10 minutes is just the two characters talking back and forth. Now that wouldn't be so bad if they didn't spend much time later talking but good god does the run time get eaten up by people talking. It's not even interesting banter either. It's utterly boring stuff. They pick up a third person, a 'hot' female in a capsule pod. I really didn't find her attractive but she's clearly designed to be attractive. Oh and she has amnesia, very original.

So much of the runtime is just stupid things happening for no reason. So in short like a bad Space Dandy episode. I understand a lot of it is played up for comedic purposes but I didn't really find most of it funny but just rather random nonsense. What really irked me though is that the female companion
finds out that she's a princess about halfway through and is gone for the rest of the OVA[ /spoiler]. So it's a lot of buildup for essentially no payoff. That's actually a big issue with the OVA as a whole as the pilot and mechanic spent a lot of time talking about this big tournament but we never see the tournament actually take place. Turns out it leads into Redline but it really makes the work feel incomplete here.

Music was pretty forgettable. The animation I'm sort of mixed about. The art direction itself is really prominent and unique but I feel that it takes over the work and makes it really hard to keep track of all the action and certain points. It all becomes way too busy and just turns into a mess, something I thought was really apparent at times in episode #2 and #4. It's all well animated in the sense that parts are really fluid and fast but I feel the staging isn't there at all unlike Redline. Also there is a good chunk of the OVA series that is just people talking in a rather boring fashion so not much animation there.

So in short, I feel like this is a work where the art direction is the central focus and everything else falls way short. Now that wouldn't be the biggest of deals but it feels like Koike's art direction just overpowers the work, something similar at times to Dead Leaves. In addition, less talking and more explosions/fighting.
This art really reminds me of Dead Leaves.

NeonZ

Except none of the fights had anything resembling good choreography. A number of scenes were literally Kirito wailing on a shield.

You don't need good choreography to have good animation though. SAO's real problem in the action aspect is that aside from a few stand out battles, most of them didn't even have real movement, with screen cuts or instant slices being used to avoid actually animating combat.

Principate

Saint Titanfall
You don't need good choreography to have good animation though. SAO's real problem in the action aspect is that aside from a few stand out battles, most of them didn't even have real movement, with screen cuts or instant slices being used to avoid actually animating combat.

Yes you do the lazy animation your talking about looks pretty crap in motion and makes for some pretty shitty/unsatisfying fight scenes. talking purely about fight scenes here. in stuff like walking it matters less.

ah. I know how it feels, I'd been suffering it with Heidi until a little while ago.

I think I'm just gonna get through all the remaining episodes in one go later today, cutting it off when the series is in the middle of its final stretch doesn't sound like a good choice.

Well it's not exactly altogether in a sense. Like you could do up til you have 5 episodes left or something to do it. But yeah, stopping in between would be madness.

Real HappinessCharge Precure 30

Better fight than Fortune vs Phantom. Shit keeps happening, Clearly a massive change from the first half of the show.

There was some cool shit in this episode, that just made this really enjoyable. However
Un-Lovely only staying for one episode
and

Being the Upgrade is rather upsetting. I mean really, cut the make up out. This is all Cure Ace's fault for bringing it in. Other than that, enjoyed it.

NEXT TIME

YuuYuu, Ovaries of Orichalcum

jgminto

DRAMAtical Murder 9
FUCK IT! I'M DONE! I've watched this show butcher two of my favourite endings and I don't have the patience to watch the third in three episodes. Fuck this piece of shit, romance removing, terribly paced adaptation!

Oh wow, I must have been completely distracted during the episode Preview For HapCha, because I don't remember that at all.

Color me intrigued, though...

Get in the #sakuga channel on irc.rizon.net and ask! You'll probably find that most people there have a low opinion of Fate/Zero's animation.
I can see why they might think that. For one, all the digital effects at work can take away from the 2D animation. But looking at that list I'm not quite sure what criteria they use. What I've watched of The Idolm@ster was hardly top tier stuff.

cajunator

Banned
So when does Bones become the new Gonzo?

When they stop making Chaika.

Now I'm morbidly curious. I mean, she did all three seasons of Bakuman after all.

Edit: Not morbidly curious enough to put up with those godawful character designs. Good god.

Truly terrible character designer working with her. Hirai should retire.

Ojamajo Doremi Dokka~n! 40
This is to The Girl Who Leapt Through Time what Our War Game was to Summer Wars.

No, seriously:

He even mentioned it off-hand in an interview!

Okay, so that's that.

It's made eminently clear from watching this episode that Hosoda had the most raw talent out of all the Toei directors at the time. It's no small feat when people like Igarashi, Yamauchi and Sato worked on this series; no wonder Hosoda was the one to make it big. From OGW and this episode, you can already see him veering towards the naturalism from later in his career, but this was still early days and the Ikuhara/Yamauchi influences are still felt. To be quite honest, while it's clear that he has not stopped improving as time went by and that Wolf Children is his most accomplished creation, I kind of prefer the more art-house and blunt feeling you get from this episode, Digimon 1999 or One Piece 6. The stilted close-ups, overt visual metaphors and gloomy undercurrent are so uniquely executed that it's sad he probably won't come back to this. I understand why, he's making mainstream films now and the way he approaches it is probably better suited for the kind of stories he tells in his originals, ones that would be successful with a broad audience. But his style at this point was just so much more interesting and unique.

This episode is just really masterful. It provides a more sensible and touching exploration of what being basically immortal in a world of mortals entails than the whole Queen plotline has done in almost a dozen episodes. Little touches like the postcard at first, the truck leaving at the end, even the voice acting of the woman being deliberately natural and low-key. The elaborate staging and repetition of layouts was used to such a superb effect that when the 'climax' of the episode came it was felt with a huge immediacy, achieved by simply cutting to a familiar layout.

More interestingly though, Doremi's state of mind ends flat-out unresolved unlike in the Onpu and Aiko eps. It raises a genuine insecurity which has been touched upon before in the show but never brought to the foreground like this, and Doremi herself was really upset by the end. I wonder how they're gonna wrap it up. Maybe with the Pop episode next? I doubt it though.

Ok this was an interesting read. Didnt know this.

Can anyone recommend an anime with really good Sakuga?

Birdy the mighty Decode has some.

Log Horizon 1

Okay, that started out pretty cool.

My god, that OP, I'm dying.

Pretty interesting, delving into the mechanics like this. And Akatsuki is cute.

understatement of the century. Wait till you see Serara!
Also that OP will drill itself into your head.

Please Teacher! 05

Uh...

Sometimes I think I just have seen this shit so many times in anime I just gloss over it as irrelevant now.

I hate having four shows on Sunday.

At least you can watch it. I have to let everything pile up and then catch up every other week.

Tribe Cool Crew, the upcoming kids' dance anime, has opened up its website with a key visual, character designs, and a staff listing:

Director: Masaya Fujimori (You Are Umasou)
Series Composition: Atsuhiro Tomioka (Pokemon XY)
Character Design: Yoshiaki Yanagida (You Are Umasou)
Animation Production: Sunrise
Animation Production Assistance: Asia-Do

The designs are appealingly quirky and off-kilter.

Quirky indeed. I love this style!
Will keep an eye on this. It might have fun animation.

Just finished Future Diary.

And wow.. that whole last 3 or 4 episodes was, uh, something else, alright.

**Spoilers**
I couldn't help but feel there was always something taking away from how serious the show's tone is supposed to be.
Why is the Eighth's head so big? Why is Yukki such a moron? Why is the whole premise of the survival game started with "Oh, well, the mayor just made some magical phones and went to talk to God."? Why did they suddenly give the Ninth super powers? Couldn't they have done something else to resolve things rather than deus ex machina? (Yeah, I know that's the god's name, but it's still silly as all hell) Oh, and let's not forget, suddenly, time travel. Why?

I really wish I could say I liked this show, but it's a little too silly and crazy for me, I guess. There was definitely a lot of potential for it to be awesome, but I feel the writers were a little too insistent on making it
"Deus Ex Machina with a Hint of Yandere: The Show".
I think I would've enjoyed this a lot more if it all revolved around the Ninth; she's the only character I feel was interesting. Making almost all of your characters exaggerated archetypes isn't the key to making a good anime, it does the opposite.
Oh, and Aru Akise reminds me of Kaworu from Evangelion a little too much.

Anyways, it wasn't all bad. There was some pretty good animation and music (Although the second OP and ED were horrible), and there were a couple characters and general themes that I liked.
(Way to go Yukki, you're a selfish piece of shit. But he never seemed to actually redeem himself, at least in my eyes.)

It was about as enjoyable to watch as a train wreck, because in the end, that's really what it is.

Yuno can get me through it. Still waiting impatiently for blurays.
I wasnt too in love with the series though.

Branduil

I can see why they might think that. For one, all the digital effects at work can take away from the 2D animation. But looking at that list I'm not quite sure what criteria they use. What I've watched of The Idolm@ster was hardly top tier stuff.

Well, it might have something to do with not resorting to CGI for dance sequences like every other idol show in existence.

Captain Earth - 22

That final sequence WAS THE HYPE

SO HYPE.

Classical yet effective.

Episode 24 will be the sh*t ..can't wait.

I guess i shouldn't be surprised to see so much stupidity from guys called "salty dogs" but Seriously , are they morons ?

Your defense system sucks , you can't control your life boat that is supposed to get people out of there and while the alternative isn't better or has better odds , what's the point of making a operation that is risky as possible riskier ? You think you can catch anna , brainwatch her without damaging the brume ? ARE YOU DUMB ? Did nobody read the reports that she has a will now ?
Wait don't answer ..

they are dumb.

cajunator

Banned
Akame ga Kill! 09

It's happening

I love her design

Akame Ga Kill 9

qndSXDR.png

Damn, Esdeath is awesome. The Night Raid boss also looked a lot better with longer hair.

People really love the word "Jaegar" dont they?

I LOVE HER DESIGN SO MUCH

So I dropped both Captain Earth and Aldnoa around episodes 2 / 3. Are they worth picking back up?

Aldnoah kind of is but its inconsistent. Its getting kind of nuts though so Id say its worth it.

Happiness Charge Precure: 30

So... the Shining Make Dresser thingy gives them makeup? Okay.... At least the rest of the episode was fun. I've got a soft spot for Dark/Evil Magical Girls. Its too bad they don't last long in Precure shows, Heartcatch's Dark Pretty Cure withstanding.

-----------------------------------------------------

Oh, and Hi.

Hello and welcome!
Your avatar is greatness just sayin.

Please Teacher! 07

And the annoying sister character actually leave! That's good.

More love triangle stuff, but at least Kei and Mizuho finally
share a kiss.

and that one scene already puts it further than 99% of harem animes.

SAO 03

So, it's the episode this is from:
OwIhr0D.gif

Kirito joins a guild, lots of sad stuff happens and then he kills Santa.

Pretty much sums up the series in one gif doesnt it?

madp fell victim to Poe's Law?

He made a masterpiece of a satirical post that got taken literally.
I even fell for it until I saw that it was him posting it. Just thought it was a crazy gaffer from OT.

Shard

XBLAnnoyance
Gekkan Shoujo Nozaki-kun Episode 9:

Well, this was half of a good episode, the rain sequence was pretty nice balance of the comic and the serious. Though heaven help you if you are watching this program for actual romance, that isn't going to happen, it would ruin the joke. Reaminds me a lot of Love Lab in that regard. The second half with Maeno and Miyako was a dull retread of the jokes we saw with Maeno and while it did have some moment I was just waiting for the vignette to end. Hopefully next week is a more solidly even entry.

Is Esdese :cajun?

Esdese is a being that can be described by "a wild lion with the fury of a dragon, the mercilessness of a bear and appearance of a flower"

Does that met your definition of :cajun ?

AKAME GA KILL - 09
Esdeath in love is best esdeath ...
As for the rest , there isn't anything to say about this

Hugstable

Banned
Yuno can get me through it. Still waiting impatiently for blurays.
I wasnt too in love with the series though.

I think Yuno and Ninth were the only reasons I actually finished watching it. I mean I like it in a way and it's not too horrible, but the ending just really makes very little sense and alot of it just feels way different than the rest of the series did. I really like the first half of it quite a bit though. Still surprised at no Blu Rays for it, I own the DVD's myself.

Gekkan Shoujo Nozaki-kun Episode 9:

Well, this was half of a good episode, the rain sequence was pretty nice balance of the comic and the serious. Though heaven help you if you are watching this program for actual romance, that isn't going to happen, it would ruin the joke. Reaminds me a lot of Love Lab in that regard. The second half with Maeno and Miyako was a dull retread of the jokes we saw with Maeno and while it did have some moment I was just waiting for the vignette to end. Hopefully next week is a more solidly even entry.

Yeah I hope it doesn't get any serious with the romances or anything. I really love this show just because of the whole cast of characters and how quirky they can be. Alot of the episodes have been hilarious to me with many of the jokes hitting the mark. Even Nozaki-kun himself who you would think to be a pretty boring character has so many funny moments that just throw you off of how his character is supposed to be.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom