• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Summer 2014 Anime |OT2| Or, where Jexhius finally watches more Doremi for Hito.

Status
Not open for further replies.

fertygo

So I want to talk about the aspect that has been critized heavily from the show lately, the writing.
The most complaint came from to how unrealistic the narrative is, "stupid" they say.. but I found most of the time the critics want/expect the show being fundamentally different than what the show actually trying for. IIRC the show always aiming to be something that akin to the TV show, 24.. although I don't know if that's straight quote from the creator/PR or just figurative fans speak judging from the trailer, so CMIIW. But point still stand, at this point its clear the show not very interested with novel style detail heavy storytelling and closer to primetime TV fistpumping flick.

But I don't want to focus on that, I want to talking about to what the show actually REALLY good at regardless the controversy with the narrative/tone direction, its the screenplay, or the more used term for it in anime, the storyboard.

Terror in Resonance have this mentality that consistently reflected on their screenplay/storyboard since the very first episode. Giving Information with as little as possible. They always trying to pass the information to the watcher with the briefest as they can with scene composition, imagery and other kind of visual shortcut.

Some example that can found in eps 7

ieFQRByl6oqMy.jpg
This scene is where 12 asking Lisa to doing something, the scene ended with just that, no detail about the plan till later we seeing for ourselves how the scene played out. Then we proceed to.

Lisa got caught, they setting up that for the climax few minute later.
After the pause we for some minute we jump straight to this climax, the tone is very clear despite the focus jumped to other thing for awhile.

They repeating the first step for Shibazaki scene
Again no detail for the told plan, despite being very simple.. we just seeing Shibazaki rushing through just after that very instance. setting up some intensity in the tone.

Like I'm saying this is very common storytelling style throughout the show, of course we remember the opening scene in the first episode that very effective establish the plot device, setting and character despite being basically action montage.

The show often compared to Death Note due to its smartass mind battle gimmick that both trying to do, this also the difference between both, Death Note is filled with shounen manga monologue and detailing each step in dialogue, TiR in general trying to avoid that and spreading the focus more widely in each episode, with those brief cut between the scene.

Also the more controversial one, the brief flashback that splattered through most episode. I'm on the side that thinking those flashback is more than enough to transferring information that we need for the background, but regardless our opinions this what the staff decide to do for their screenplay style, not just for this flashback.
iCbGnBFnUAlen.jpg

Blatant shortcut to establish Five as opposition that must stopped

So to put it simply, this show doing damn well for what they trying to do, the screenplay/storyboarding always accommodate for brief and dynamic scene transition effort, make it seem as seamless as possible with some "cheating" to achieve that if they had to. I adore this kind of storytelling, its pretty satisfying if you can get the access to the information to scene in film/comic/whatever delivered without too much dialogue bubble and replaced with brief scene that delivering as much information, if you succeeding.. that's great achievement to thrive for.

I think in general that's what Terror in Resonance trying o pull and resulted as product that we seeing now. Different tonal direction may require different philosophy that Watanabe and co simply not interested this time.

Blegh this is long..

Just saw Sabagebu! episode 1. Was that a
Jill cosplay
in the end?

If so :
I liked the anime so far, funny and the narrator is awesome. Can't decide between the cosplay/Ghillie suit girl or the
gravure
model.

One of my favorite dialogs was when
the cosplay girl told the protagonist that she is in the same class as hers, and the protag said: "Wait, but I didn't saw you". Then the other girl answers: "I was wearing this (points to the muppet ghillie suit)".

CorvoSol

I actually think the genius of madp's post is the lack of an avatar. It fools the dipahits who eeally do think like that into admitting it openly, cows the less extreme into silence and amuses those in the know at the same time.

I actually think the genius of madp's post is the lack of an avatar. It fools the dipahits who eeally do think like that into admitting it openly, cows the less extreme into silence and amuses those in the know at the same time.

Yeah. If he had an avatar it would only be lots of avatar quotes.

madp

The Light of El Cantare
At first I thought the last two paragraphs were too far and made it a bit too obvious but based on the responses I guess it was right on point.

Sadly, everything in that post is an accurate pastiche of statements I've read on GAF except for the "you should be in prison for CP" part at the end, which I hoped would trigger any non-extremist hater's bullshit sensors just slightly enough that they'd bring the whole post into question. And yet, it's still offending and vindicating people on both sides of the discussion, which is a sad commentary on the level of discourse that people actually expect and take for granted on the topic of anime as a medium and its fans.

At least I got a mod to ban someone for calling anime fans pedophiles. lol

And this. It's undeniable that avatars affect perception of the poster. I forced everyone who doesn't recognize me to take my words at face value and thus teased out the honest feelings of people who actually agreed with that load of horseshit.

cajunator

Banned
Sadly, everything in that post is an accurate pastiche of statements I've read on GAF except for the "you should be in prison for CP" part at the end, which I uhoped would trigger any non-extremist hater's bullshit sensors just slightly enough that they'd bring the whole post into question. And yet, it's still offending and vindicating people on both sides of the discussion, which is a sad commentary on the level of discourse that people actually expect and take for granted on the topic of anime as a medium and its fans.

I just wanna reiterate that you are a genius and really awesome.

FelixOrion

Poet Centuriate

Sadly, everything in that post is an accurate pastiche of statements I've read on GAF except for the "you should be in prison for CP" part at the end, which I hoped would trigger any non-extremist hater's bullshit sensors just slightly enough that they'd bring the whole post into question. And yet, it's still offending and vindicating people on both sides of the discussion, which is a sad commentary on the level of discourse that people actually expect and take for granted on the topic of anime as a medium and its fans.

And this. It's undeniable that avatars affect perception of the poster. I forced everyone who doesn't recognize me to take my words at face value and thus teased out the honest feelings of people who actually agreed with that load of horseshit.
It's quite a magnificent piece of engineering.

Rebel Leader

THE POWER OF BUTTERSCOTCH BOTTOMS

Regardless, well done

05-the-rockpoki2.gif

--

I figured it out when I saw that you made 3 anime threads, so I ignored it.

Branduil

Clannad 11
i9Q3NhcI9Gu64.jpg
ibsEX7DfVdVzBY.jpg

The thirst is real.

Apple pie for lunch? Where can I get in on this?

Okay show, I'm pretty sure you've wrung all possible humor from "Kotomi is bad at violin" already. Why does no one tell her she sucks? Looks like they really are bullies after all.

All the signs were in place so it's not terribly surprising, but a Triage X anime is finally confirmed to be on the way.

http://moca-news.net/article/20140901/201409011209a/01/
http://triagex-anime.jp/
Mochizuki General Hospital boasts some of the most well-trained (and well-endowed) nurses in town. But though these ladies spend much of their day battling disease, their after-hours are spent fighting a very different sort of disease…Under the leadership of the hospital chairman, a handful of staff members and local teenagers form a group of mercenary assassins, targeting the “cancers” of society and excising those individuals before their wickedness spreads.
Sounds like a real winner. *gags*

Clannad 11

Apple pie for lunch? Where can I get in on this?

Okay show, I'm pretty sure you've wrung all possible humor from "Kotomi is bad at violin" already. Why does no one tell her she sucks? Looks like they really are bullies after all.

A certain thing happens in the next episode that will probably make you very upset.

Just giving you a heads up.

survivor

Banned
Maria the Virgin Witch anime (manga by same guy who made Moyashimon) staff was posted on twitter

Director: Taniguchi Goro
Script: Hideyuki Kurata
Character Design: Yuriko Chiba
Studio: Production IG
Website

Starts airing in January I believe.

Doesn't look too inspiring, but who knows I never read the manga. Although the description for it doesn't make it out to be anything special.

Maria the Virgin Witch anime (manga by same guy who made Moyashimon) staff was posted on twitter

Website

Doesn't look too inspiring, but who knows I never read the manga. Although the description for it doesn't make it out to be anything special.
Wait, what?

Website

Goro Taniguchi is directing again? Wonder what made him crawl out of the hole he's been in the past couple of years.

JCG

Website

I haven't read the manga either and I wouldn't normally check this out based on how it looks like on the surface...but it could turn out to be good. I'm going to try watching this exclusively because of the staff, since Taniguchi and Kurata also did GunXSword back in the day, which was a cool show that not enough people have seen.

He did GunXSword at AIC, right after doing Planetes at Sunrise, so I'm not too surprised by that.
You're right. I thought GUNxSWORD was a Sunrise production for some reason. Still it's interesting that his first series post Code Geass would be elsewhere.

Shergal

Taniguchi means I'm at least partially interested, and IG has been making solid enough productions lately that this could actually look decent. The key visual doesn't inspire much however.

Anyway, I would think being set in the Hundred Years War between England and France alone makes it something of a novelty. Doing a quick look at people's reactions towards the manga, seems like it's pretty caustic towards the Catholic Church.

Maria is a witch living during the Hundred Years' War between England and France. Our young heroine hates war, so to keep the people of the village safe she protects them with magic. Maria will use all the power at her disposal to stop the fighting, whether that means conjuring giant dragons or sending her succubus familiar out to mesmerize the warring generals with her charms. But what do the villagers think of her "help"? And what will happen if Heaven notices her interference into human affairs? This story has a funny touch with a little history thrown in.
Comedy Ecchi Fantasy Historical Mature Seinen
Sounds lovely.

cajunator

Banned

Website

I like her design too. Could be fun!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom