• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Summer 2014 Anime |OT2| Or, where Jexhius finally watches more Doremi for Hito.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Hugstable

Banned
Sadly, everything in that post is an accurate pastiche of statements I've read on GAF except for the "you should be in prison for CP" part at the end, which I hoped would trigger any non-extremist hater's bullshit sensors just slightly enough that they'd bring the whole post into question. And yet, it's still offending and vindicating people on both sides of the discussion, which is a sad commentary on the level of discourse that people actually expect and take for granted on the topic of anime as a medium and its fans.

At least I got a mod to ban someone for calling anime fans pedophiles. lol

And this. It's undeniable that avatars affect perception of the poster. I forced everyone who doesn't recognize me to take my words at face value and thus teased out the honest feelings of people who actually agreed with that load of horseshit.

Genius! When I read the whole statement earlier I didn't realize it was sarcasm like that, amazing what you pulled off though.

FelixOrion

Poet Centuriate
I've been sick and busy and all that but back on horse we go.

Space☆Dandy 19

is that a laugh track? it's killing me

oh that's a pretty fun twist for Honey

pretty rocking soundtrack

dandy rocks the pseudo-harem right

Terror in Resonance 4

BitCoin in action yo

i seriously am in love with this soundtrack holy shit

Really strong episode. Some really great moments and some amazing animation. Show's a serious AOTY contender for me.

Acchi Kocchi 11

Tsumiki <3

Captain Earth 17

dat fanservice

this episode felt a lot like the first episodes of this show, so it was a lot stronger than the recent nonsense.

Attack on Titan 11

whole lot of talking, whole lot stares and motionless shots, not a lot of damn action. There's so little fucking animation.

The only saving grace is the Commander.

Ah there's the animation.

Ha what a damn twist

One Week Friends 5

A new friend with
a somewhat similar issue? lol
It'll be interesting to see what happens when these issues really collide.

What a great ending.

pelicansurf

Needs a Holiday on Gallifrey
Watching Gintama series before watching Jojo spoiled the most recent episode via joke. I wasn't 100% it was happening, but it would be weird if Gintama just made that up. It was true.

Womp womp.

JCG

Well... that's a unique combo, at least.

Well, I'm not allergic to fanservice. But I think it'll come down to the execution and how funny it actually is, along with one's appreciation for random historical trivia.

Considering the manga was only three volumes long and the nature of it, I presume this won't need to be more than 12 or 13 episodes in total.

Akame ga Kill! Episode 9

Another great episode as far as I'm concerned. The only thing I noticed that I thought was out of place was the fact Esdese's tits seem a whole lot bigger in this than the manga.

I see you noticed as well. It seems we have an eye for such things.

Witches seem like a hot thing lately, perfect setting to spam animation effect I suppose.

Now if only LWA2 would come out.

Watching Gintama series before watching Jojo spoiled the most recent episode via joke. I wasn't 100% it was happening, but it would be weird if Gintama just made that up. It was true.

Womp womp.

To be fair that joke is more then 20 years old.

madp

The Light of El Cantare
even on twitter :lol

OUpWYuh.png

kknE9iU.png

Strike Witches - 2

Newtype Miyafuji musters the courage to get inside her Gundam and fight in the war against the invading robot Kaijus that came through the portal that opened up from the Earth's sky.

Funny mecha references aside, I'm actually kind of enjoying this. I feel like I can actually get behind this main character's backstory and motivations here.

She wants to follow in the footsteps of her dead father to do her best to protect everyone using his technology. I know it's not exactly the most revolutionary of backstories, but it's a hell of a lot better than Vividred's bubbly airhead protagonist fighting just because her grandpa made the thing just for her and ONLY HER can do the fusion dance with the other girls and that's she so important-

YES I AM STILL QUITE BITTER ABOUT THE DISAPPOINTMENT THAT WAS VIVIDRED THANK YOU VERY MUCH.

..Ahem, sorry. Bottom line, I like that the main character's got a decent enough motivation.

I also appreciate the fact that these enemies actually feel like they're a threat, given that we're shown people getting seriously injured (and possibly dying, if the fall of the fighter planes is any indication though they probably had parachutes).

So yeah, the show's off to a good start, I hope it keeps it up.

duckroll

You're right. I thought GUNxSWORD was a Sunrise production for some reason. Still it's interesting that his first series post Code Geass would be elsewhere.

After Geass he directed a Jungle Emperor Leo TV movie at Tezuka, and then he produced Fantasista Doll at Hoods, now he's directing an IG series. He's a total free agent. He just works a lot with Sunrise, and he'll definitely work with them again in future.

Sounds lovely.

I'm reading through the first couple chapters of the manga and it is super anti-Catholic as well as being super perverted. The second chapter opens with
Maria's succubus going to the priest commanding one of the armies who she intends to tempt... but he's already going at it... with another guy, and thus the charms of the female succubus have no effect on him.
So if that's what you're into, have fun!

pelicansurf

What was the joke?
As to not spoil Jojo,
a joke about how anime series randomly bring back people from the dead; nobody's ever dead! This was voiced over an image of a ton of offenders including Avdol. Goku was there too
. The joke was funny and I don't have an issue with it, just made the most recent episode an "Oh" moment instead of "WHOA!".

Thought people would find it funny that Gintama trolled me even after it's over. That show is genius.

jbug617

Banned
Akame Ga Kill! 9

I been wondering why is this show called Akame Ga Kill, she doesn't do much. Also I guess this is the first step in the
Mine X Tatsumi relationship

The change in Esdeath is mindblowing.
You see the back story and then you see her fall in love within minutes.

pelicansurf

Akame Ga Kill! 9

I been wondering why is this show called Akame Ga Kill, she doesn't do much. Also I guess this is the first step in the
Mine X Tatsumi relationship

The change in Esdeath is mindblowing.
You see the back story and then you see her fall in love within minutes.

Yeah, when they're going through the list of requirements, it ends up being pretty obvious. Especially with "innocent smile" tossed in there.

Crocodile

It took me a second but once I "got" that madp post I could only LOL. That thread seemed to be fine the last time I looked inside but I guess it went to shit or something?

Maria the Virgin Witch anime (manga by same guy who made Moyashimon) staff was posted on twitter

Director: Taniguchi Goro
Script: Hideyuki Kurata
Character Design: Yuriko Chiba
Studio: Production IG
Website

Starts airing in January I believe.

Doesn't look too inspiring, but who knows I never read the manga. Although the description for it doesn't make it out to be anything special.

I remember loving the first season of that but never got around to watching the second. How was it? I'll put this Witch show on my radar if that same author is responsible for it.

Sounds like a real winner. *gags*

That premise does sound kind awful :/ but maybe it might make a good hatewatch/"so bad its good"? That's what I've heard people say to describe HSOD (a show I've only seen silly clips of) and they share an author so .......*shrug*

Syrinx

Aria: The Origination 9

rockclapping.gif

I'm going to go ahead and assume that the complete lack of focus on singing in the training of the main three throughout the entire show up to this point was solely to spring this episode on us. That was very unexpected.

cajunator

Banned
even on twitter :lol

OUpWYuh.png

kknE9iU.png

the gift that keeps on giving.
I seriously bow to you. Might even do that in person if we meet. I respect you a lot.

Strike Witches - 2

Newtype Miyafuji musters the courage to get inside her Gundam and fight in the war against the invading robot Kaijus that came through the portal that opened up from the Earth's sky.

Funny mecha references aside, I'm actually kind of enjoying this. I feel like I can actually get behind this main character's backstory and motivations here.

She wants to follow in the footsteps of her dead father to do her best to protect everyone using his technology. I know it's not exactly the most revolutionary of backstories, but it's a hell of a lot better than Vividred's bubbly airhead protagonist fighting just because her grandpa made the thing just for her and ONLY HER can do the fusion dance with the other girls and that's she so important-

YES I AM STILL QUITE BITTER ABOUT THE DISAPPOINTMENT THAT WAS VIVIDRED THANK YOU VERY MUCH.

..Ahem, sorry. Bottom line, I like that the main character's got a decent enough motivation.

I also appreciate the fact that these enemies actually feel like they're a threat, given that we're shown people getting seriously injured (and possibly dying, if the fall of the fighter planes is any indication though they probably had parachutes).

So yeah, the show's off to a good start, I hope it keeps it up.

My one complaint is the enemy was pretty much a pushover and not very memorable or even threatening. Given how lighthearted the show is I guess it wouldnt have fit, but it would have added some conflict.

Shergal

Ojamajo Doremi Dokka~n! 41
It's really gearing up for the ending now- good Pop episode, in a way harking back to and renewing the 'lessons' the girls learned by S1's end. I still wonder if they'll do something about how 40 ended up.

Ojamajo Doremi Dokka~n! 42
Kind of weird episode, but I'm accustomed to this director delivering subpar efforts. The whole shitty story with the poet just took valuable time that could've been used to dig deeper into the issue at hand, and then it all resolved super tidily, oddly. Maybe it's not the end of it.

Where's the Momo episode though? Last I remember she only got that one about the kid who wanted to work in customer service. It doesn't feel up to par with what the rest of the cast has been getting :x

My one complaint is the enemy was pretty much a pushover and not very memorable or even threatening. Given how lighthearted the show is I guess it wouldnt have fit, but it would have added some conflict.

You talking about the Strike Witches enemies or the Vividred enemies? Because if you're talking about the former then that's disappointing. Like, I set my expectations going into this but it really seemed like this show was putting in a bigger effort to show how bad these things were. A bigger effort than Vividred anyway.

Clannad 12

id6L0TkdL6duT.gif

Well this reaction was inevitable.

Dead

well not really...yet
Maria the Virgin Witch anime (manga by same guy who made Moyashimon) staff was posted on twitter

Director: Taniguchi Goro
Script: Hideyuki Kurata
Character Design: Yuriko Chiba
Studio: Production IG
Website

Starts airing in January I believe.

Doesn't look too inspiring, but who knows I never read the manga. Although the description for it doesn't make it out to be anything special.
Looking forward to another creative and directorial failure from Taniguchi. Hype.

Wolf's Rain 30

It takes a lot for me to tear up from watching a work of fiction... But Goddamn these last 4 episodes, the series finale in particular.

The ending is worth talking about though.
My interpretation of the ending is that Paradise is the rebirth of the planet and for it to be reborn, an old life, in this case nature and everything in it, must end. Overtime paradise becomes corrupted (in this case represented by Darcia's "evil" eye), and the world returns to the state it once was. As for the characters themselves being able to reaching paradise, well if Toboe's final thoughts were any indication, they found their own paradise moments before they themselves died.
That's my take on it.

It honestly baffles me how this show hasn't been rescued yet. This show has one of the best stories i've seen in the medium. Wolf's Rain is a really good show, one that I would recommend to anyone.

cajunator

Banned
You talking about the Strike Witches enemies or the Vividred enemies? Because if you're talking about the former then that's disappointing. Like, I set my expectations going into this but it really seemed like this show was putting in a bigger effort to show how bad these things were. A bigger effort than Vividred anyway.

Well this reaction was inevitable.

They never seemed truly unbeatable or anything.

Dead

well not really...yet
Wolf's Rain 30

It takes a lot for me to tear up from watching a work of fiction... But Goddamn these last 4 episodes, the series finale in particular.

The ending is worth talking about though.
My interpretation of the ending is that Paradise is the rebirth of the planet and for it to be reborn, an old life, in this case nature and everything in it, must end. Overtime paradise becomes corrupted (in this case represented by Darcia's "evil" eye), and the world returns to the state it once was. As for the characters themselves being able to reaching paradise, well if Toboe's final thoughts were any indication, they found their own paradise moments before they themselves died.
That's my take on it.

It honestly baffles me how this show hasn't been rescued yet. This show has one of the best stories i've seen in the medium. Wolf's Rain is a really good show, one that I would recommend to anyone.
It's a masterpiece imo. Beautiful from every angle

Articalys

There are way more people posting anime reaction gifs in the Sony TGS Conference thread than I expected. Including the yuri makeout scene from Illya Zwei, for some reason.

Antiwhippy

the holder of the trombone
Hanamonogatari

Kaiki survived! With a bitching beard as well!

Also cut your goddamn hair araragi.

Really good arc. Probably the most emotionally charged one of monogatari right next to Shinobu time. Loved numachi as a kind of reflection of kanbaru, a contrast of brooding defense and spontaneous offense. Honestly was pretty affected by umachi story, where it is revealed that her collecting was just a spiral of misery used to plug up the desires she had in life.

Loved the final basketball scene where she moved on, realising that she didn't want all the things that she had been collecting, believing that she can take the burden all to herself, but instead the feeling of teamwork, the feeling that she just wants to be supported by others, with kanbaru admiring the fact that umachi has been able to support herself all this time.

Now I need more kanbaru x umachi stories goddamnit.

FelixOrion

Poet Centuriate
This little adventure of Felix's List Double Dose at it's eve of the end.

CAN YOU FEEL IT

Yami 12

yeah it is your fault

BANDAGES = LOVE

lol I remember that outfit

what the fuck is even going on right now this like a happy fucking ending out of nowhere.

THIS IS MY TRUE FORM: NAKED!

I LOVE YOU SO MUCH I'LL KILL YOU

lol no way
did you just magically impregnate Hadzuki with yourself?
hahahahahahahahah

damn this show is so goddamn fucking lewd, coming right out of innocent wackiness and overwrought melodrama.

School Days 11

God how do you all not tell him to fuck off. I mean, Girl #5, you see that what you're doing is totally bullshit too but you're just playing along. Every single one of you can get rekt. Actually...holy shit, did I miss when you got together with him or is it all starting to blur together?

I can almost visually the VN choice buttons popping up and the cursor selecting the worst possible choices again and again against my will like some nightmare.

WAIT NO DO NOT LET THIS FUCKER'S HAREM GET ANY BIGGER

damn she's really lost it.

NO FUCK FUCK STOP NO ARGGGGGG this fucker's gotten more tail than I've ever fucking seen and it makes ZERO fucking sense. ZERO MOTHERFUCKING SENSE

Yes. Yes he did.

I think Felix may literally choke to death on
the first half of episode 11

HOLY FUCKING SHIT I think I figured out what you were talking about if you mean
Sekai getting knocked up
. If so fdaouhlsndjnhfyuaslidjkfnhayljkdsljkdsfiahdnkjasdjilfknlsdmnhfajildnknasdlhiydbfasdnhfjnklf

Hey remember last time (or a few weeks ago?) when I was freaking out over two repeating sound effects in Yami and School Days? I've now witnessed
two female protagonists get knocked up in Yami and School Days at the same time
. I'm not convinced School Days and Yami aren't the same show. This like some Wizard of Oz Dark Side of the Moon shit.

The balls on this show

jesus fucking christ

YOU FUCKING PIECE OF UTTER GARBAGE

ah yes your harem is crumbling around you

YOU'RE GONNA GET DESTROYED KID

is this what we call false hope?
you fucking bet it is

----

NEXT TIME ON: FELIX WATCHES ANIME

Acchi Kocchi, Yami, and School Days come to an end! Will he squee to death, yuri to death, or WTF to death? All of the above? Stay tuned next time folks

zulux21

nozaki 9
alright ep, not great, not bad, but it amused me more then it should have that in the end scene after the credits that the hairband of the one girl on the right (not our main female) vanishes for a few frames :p

cajunator

Banned
This little adventure of Felix's List Double Dose at it's eve of the end.

CAN YOU FEEL IT

Yami 12

yeah it is your fault

BANDAGES = LOVE

lol I remember that outfit

what the fuck is even going on right now this like a happy fucking ending out of nowhere.

THIS IS MY TRUE FORM: NAKED!

I LOVE YOU SO MUCH I'LL KILL YOU

lol no way
did you just magically impregnate Hadzuki with yourself?
hahahahahahahahah

damn this show is so goddamn fucking lewd, coming right out of innocent wackiness and overwrought melodrama.

School Days 11

God how do you all not tell him to fuck off. I mean, Girl #5, you see that what you're doing is totally bullshit too but you're just playing along. Every single one of you can get rekt. Actually...holy shit, did I miss when you got together with him or is it all starting to blur together?

I can almost visually the VN choice buttons popping up and the cursor selecting the worst possible choices again and again against my will like some nightmare.

WAIT NO DO NOT LET THIS FUCKER'S HAREM GET ANY BIGGER

damn she's really lost it.

NO FUCK FUCK STOP NO ARGGGGGG this fucker's gotten more tail than I've ever fucking seen and it makes ZERO fucking sense. ZERO MOTHERFUCKING SENSE

HOLY FUCKING SHIT I think I figured out what you were talking about if you mean
Sekai getting knocked up
. If so fdaouhlsndjnhfyuaslidjkfnhayljkdsljkdsfiahdnkjasdjilfknlsdmnhfajildnknasdlhiydbfasdnhfjnklf

Hey remember last time (or a few weeks ago?) when I was freaking out over two repeating sound effects in Yami and School Days? I've now witnessed
two female protagonists get knocked up in Yami and School Days at the same time
. I'm not convinced School Days and Yami aren't the same show. This like some Wizard of Oz Dark Side of the Moon shit.

The balls on this show

jesus fucking christ

YOU FUCKING PIECE OF UTTER GARBAGE

ah yes your harem is crumbling around you

YOU'RE GONNA GET DESTROYED KID

is this what we call false hope?
you fucking bet it is

----

NEXT TIME ON: FELIX WATCHES ANIME

Acchi Kocchi, Yami, and School Days come to an end! Will he squee to death, yuri to death, or WTF to death? All of the above? Stay tuned next time folks

I have never been so excited for a persons next impressions post.

Shergal

Ojamajo Doremi Dokka~n! 43
Kind of a nothing episode. It was pretty amusing in parts I guess. After all the hard-hitting character focused episodes it doesn't really do much, since it doesn't even really have to do with Tamaki, it's just a preamble to the plot that comes next...

Ojamajo Doremi Dokka~n! 44
Plot time! Decent episode though. I like that they're making this a two-parter, hopefully they'll conclude the whole world-ending story problems early and end the show with character-focused episodes.

Psycho-Pass 5

There's some more interesting police work as Kogami determines that Akane wasn't talking to the same person behind the Spooky Boogie avatar based on word choice. That does contradict the episode's themes a bit, though, in regards to the icon or image mattering more than the person behind it. However, the presence of a more universal theme like this does manage to do a little bit to strengthen what is still a pretty uninteresting case that has to vomit out all of the development for the villain of the week(s) at the very end.

The literary references have not bothered me until this episode, where we get three or four in a short span of time; once or twice is fine, but when you get into such frequency it feels lazy and clunky. Art was good aside from some goofy character models as I liked the visual distortion effects.

I did want to scream at the show when they said "I wonder who he was talking to" after they went Cronenberg on this poor sap and made him explode instead of taking him in for questioning.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom