• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Summer 2014 Anime |OT2| Or, where Jexhius finally watches more Doremi for Hito.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jarmel

Banned

He does have a point. Shading, toning, and lighting have really taken a nosedive in the past decade. That said, the idiot compared OVAs to TV series.

Anyone else feel as if Under The Dog (being a kick starter and not a studio run thing) would present anime better if it didn't have a big breasted chick in a bust showing outfit? People slam anime studios for pandering but these people have the money now (not from a studio) and still want to do this? Doesn't this speak more about anime creators in general and their lack of taste for quality female characters?

So are you saying you've never walked down the street and seen dozens of women of all sizes and races wearing bust showing outfits? Why is it that a girl can't wear a bust showing outfit without it automatically meaning that they have some lack of taste for quality female characters? Does every female have to dress like non combat Sabre to be a quality female character that has good taste?

Jarmel

Banned
But seriously though, is this really screaming something that won't get funded by industry? "#KeepAnimeAlive"?

Maybe not at the quality level they wanted. Black Bullet got funded but shit looks awful a good amount of the time. Also how often is it when the lead actually isn't Japanese?

Sketchbag

Banned
So are you saying you've never walked down the street and seen dozens of women of all sizes and races wearing bust showing outfits? Why is it that a girl can't wear a bust showing outfit without it automatically meaning that they have some lack of taste for quality female characters? Does every female have to dress like non combat Sabre to be a quality female character that has good taste?

This woman isn't walking down the street going to the store. She's fighting guys with a knife and a gun.

Anime studios and what not always say they're appealing to their audience because the studios need them to, they even alluded to this in their Kickstarter. When they get money they do the same objectifying thing they always do. I can understand why Canaan had a stupid sexy Alphard but come on. Why does the character here need to have a combat outfit showing how big her tits are?

He does have a point. Shading, toning, and lighting have really taken a nosedive in the past decade. That said, the idiot compared OVAs to TV series.

In the past decade? Hold on here. The nosedive occured at the beginning of the 2000s with the switch to digital, but the use of color and lighting has steadily improved overall since then. The best digital productions such as Hyouka make top-notch use of lighting.

survivor

Banned
This woman isn't walking down the street going to the store. She's fighting guys with a knife and a gun.

Anime studios and what not always say they're appealing to their audience because the studios need them to, they even alluded to this in their Kickstarter. When they get money they do the same objectifying thing they always do. I can understand why Canaan had a stupid sexy Alphard but come on. Why does the character here need to have a combat outfit showing how big her tits are?

how else do you pander to western audiences?

Jarmel

Banned
In the past decade? Hold on here. The nosedive occured at the beginning of the 2000s with the switch to digital, but the use of color and lighting has steadily improved overall since then. The best digital productions such as Hyouka make top-notch use of lighting.

Hyouka is not an average work or even close to it. It's as close to OVA quality as you can get with a TV series. That's debatably the best animation studio under their best director putting out one of their best products. Fate/Zero had really phenomenal lighting too but exceptions don't make the rule.

Hyouka is not an average work or even close to it. It's as close to OVA quality as you can get with a TV series. That's debately the best animation studio under their best director putting out one of their best products. Fate/Zero had really phenomenal lighting too but exceptions don't make the rule.

That's why I called it "the best", not "average"! But I don't see how you can say that the average TV show today has worse lighting than the average TV show of the early digital age. It has gotten better overall and that's a fact.

Shergal

Shading is not inherently better, much of the best animated stuff (including, as Otaking points out, Western animation) doesn't feature detailed shading because it hampers the freedom of animators when it comes to movement.

As for lighting and colour direction, it has always been variable except for the understandable nosedive during the transition (and even then some great stuff was made).

Jarmel

Banned
That's why I called it "the best", not "average"! But I don't see how you can say that the average TV show today has worse lighting than the average TV show of the early digital age. It has gotten better overall and that's a fact.

Ah I see what you mean, I should have said the 80's not a decade. Mistake on my part. Getting old (lol).

fertygo

Maybe not at the quality level they wanted. Black Bullet got funded but shit looks awful a good amount of the time. Also how often is it when the lead actually isn't Japanese?

Let say, will this much better than eps 1 of Blast of Tempest or Terror?

And I don't know how important foreign protagonist if the setting is Japan anyway..

In the end though this is actually my kind of jam, but the pretentiousness of the PR kinda piss me off.. Its not giving vibe to something that more fresh than such like Tsuritama or even adaptation such like Ping Pong and Hyouka and the message that they sending is like common OT poster that yelling about current anime.

Jarmel

Banned
Shading is not inherently better, much of the best animated stuff (including, as Otaking points out, Western animation) doesn't feature detailed shading because it hampers the freedom of animators when it comes to movement.

stardriver1.gif
stardriver2.gif
stardriveretc.gif

Principate

Saint Titanfall

Ummm Canaan had those character design because it an adaptation of a bonus scenario of a typemoon VN with the main creators of typemoon Nasu and character designer Takeuchi, on board (Nasu actually worked on it). They didn't actually design those characters.

Jarmel

Banned
It's a fairly small list of animators who can animate well with lots of detailed shading.

Hence why stuff like Lodoss War could be incredibly detailed, but was often a slide show.

Yea I know, I was joking around. Star Driver is an exceptional work due to all the shading but that's due to the show having some/most of the best mecha animators still alive.

cajunator

Banned
9870549dcsth.jpg

Date A Live II vol 5 details are up. 13 minutes of unaired footage in this one, which gives you nearly 2 episodes' worth of cut content across the 5 volumes. Also comes with a guidebook of some form. Release date is Halloween.

482737812cbjzb.jpg

September 20th is the release of vol 11 of the light novel, but it also brings an anime visual guide / drama CD (cover above). The drama story is Spirit King Game from Encore 2.

Time for some corrective therapy:

Ikai4Y8.png

*touches fluffy tails
:)

So this Fate/Stay Night coming out next season, I can just jump into it without watching any of the other ones?

Yeah you can. It did come out first afterall. Fate Zero wasnt even a thought yet, though its technically a prequel. Both shows can stand alone.

Cardcaptor Sakura 25

So there is some sense of stakes in this, but Kero hasn't come clean on what exactly they are yet. Mirror was a trickier card than most, and though I know the fortune telling will never show up again, it seems like something that should've been done more often. I'm sure that even if Touya wasn't around to sense spirits, Tomoyo could've told the two Sakuras apart instantly. Her yuri goggles/Sakura-sense is flawless. And hello, mysterious new character. And the forthcoming cards know that Sakura's after them. This is gonna be tricky.

CCS never present any truly serious threats to Sakura.

Ladies and Gentleman (and Duckroll)....

9e83ea159c.jpg

This is the worst post I have ever read on this forum. For the sake of everyone around you, never watch Mind Game or Windy Tales. If you thought Kick-Heart was "half-animated" I don't want to know what you'd think about those and others.

If Kick Heart is anythingl ike Mindgame I really want to see it.

*googles Mind Games*

mindgame3.jpg

*googles Windy Tales*

1311.jpg

What's wrong with your FAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAACE

And people whine about Sailor Moon Crystal having derp face lol

Bonds breaking INTENSIFIES

but I still love you

Aw man. I loooove Mindgame, though it is certainly pretentious and preachy. But its so much fun to watch with absolutely crazy abstract animation. The "derp" is intentional as no one in this show is actually designed like a normal looking person. Its all exaggerated and over the top by design. Also sometimes they even insert clip art animation in there and it gives a neat effect. I love how Mindgame was done. It was extremely unique.

survivor

Banned
Why do they have to pander? They're not losing any money technically with this kickstarter.

You act like they'll go broke when the funding already exists and is not from a studio.

They gotta attract attention to get the funding and honestly I don't think if this was studio backed project the character design would be any different. Shit is probably what they think is a cool looking character that people will like

dimb

Bjergsen is the greatest midlane in the world
Kill la Kill's action scenes are still mostly wild flailing even on the OVA. Feels even worse when I'm coming off the well choreographed sword fights in Utena. The storyboarding on the KLK OVA is a low even for the series though, with loads of really claustrophobic closeups.

Crocodile

Anyone else feel as if Under The Dog (being a kick starter and not a studio run thing) would present anime better if it didn't have a big breasted chick in a bust showing outfit? People slam anime studios for pandering but these people have the money now (not from a studio) and still want to do this? Doesn't this speak more about anime creators in general and their lack of taste for quality female characters?

Wait who is saying this is supposed to represent anime? Are people using #saveanime tag unironically? The premise looks no different than like Lucy (random example that came to mind) or "action thriller X". Are we worried those who hate and like to generalize anime are going to go "look at them titty cartoons again" and throw a fit? I won't disagree that there are pandering elements here but they certainly aren't anime exclusive pandering elements (like loli or "oni-chan" trash). I mean I think its fine if you think it looks like shit but I'm not sure I understand your argument form the perspective you've presented.

Tokyo Ghoul Episode 10

Tokyo-Ghoul-Jason-Yamori.jpg

Man Jason is one sadistic fuck. I mean in the manga he's sadistic but damn did the anime over did it. Anyways we get to see Banjo, who's definitely a great character especially in the manga. Also Ayato fighting his sister was cool. And seeing Rie voice Suzuya was nice, it really does fit his character.

Man at the pace they are going for Aogiri Arc they are either gonna leave it off with a cliff hanger or a anime original ending. Welp they are definitely gonna ruin the chair scene. Viz bring on the physical release of Tokyo Ghoul.

firehawk12

Subete no aware
Wait who is saying this is supposed to represent anime? Are people using #saveanime tag unironically? The premise looks no different than like Lucy (random example that came to mind) or "action thriller X". Are we worried those who hate and like to generalize anime are going to go "look at them titty cartoons again" and throw a fit? I won't disagree that there are pandering elements here but they certainly aren't anime exclusive pandering elements (like loli or "oni-chan" trash). I mean I think its fine if you think it looks like shit but I'm not sure I understand your argument form the perspective you've presented.

It's just ironic that the guy's pitch is that Japan is ruining anime with moe and here he comes with something that is equally problematic.

Articalys

Just a few more finished series from the extended sales list:

http://www.someanithing.com/2041

D-Frag! series average 2,561 (6 vols)
Sekai Seifuku series average 2,122 (6 vols)
Buddy Complex series average 1,161 (BD-only release, 6 vols)

Also, the Ano Natsu de Matteru BD-box w/OVA sells 2,503. Will be interesting to see the OVA's standalone sales in November.

Jarmel

Banned
Kill La Kill OVA-
So some of you guys know how much I hated Kill La Kill near the end. I have to say I really liked, close to loved, this OVA. I feel it really addresses some of the flaws near the end of the show and while it doesn't rectify many core issues involving KLK, it works really well as a standalone piece. That's because of three main aspects; character resolutions, an actual theme, and finally all the mono no aware. All of it comes together in a really solid way and while I think the episode would have been better without the actual conflict, it does tie in really well thematically.

So first off we have the Elite Four symbolically answer for their sins that they committed earlier and I think this was a great thing on multiple levels. First it allowed Nakashima to show the progress the Elite Four had, in a clear and concise way. I also think it works great on the aspect that the audience remembers how the Elite Four used to act so it works emotionally as well. Then we have the fact that
the enemies have their own abilities so the Elite Four had to show their progress physically. This whole thing reminded me of the Anti-Spiral stuff, complete with 'dark' versions. I laughed that they literally were darker.
Unforunately I don't think this was animated as well as it could have been. Again as with earlier stuff in KLK, the choreography was missing. So there is a lot of motion but not much of it is really dynamic. That said, the animation was much better as a whole compared to the TV episodes. There were some really phenomenal cuts with Ryuuko as well.

The big theme for the episode was graduation. Not only in the literal sense of students graduating from Honnouji Academy but growing up as people and moving forward. I thought this was actually pretty good as a theme compared to the generic shit in core KLK of communication and the power of friendship. The villain
being a person who is tied to the past working as a way for Satsuki to motivate herself was fantastic. Also the notion that all the students were tied together even if they're all going their separate ways was really strong stuff. In the way that Satsuki is away from all the students but she can 'see' them any time worked great as a counterpart with Ryuuko still suffering from Senketsu's loss. Ryuuko 'graduated' from Senkets but she also 'wears' him in her heart of hearts. Should mention that I'm super grateful that there was no Senkets, Nui, Ragyo revival
Finally there was an actual atmosphere. Holy shit. That's because they actually slowed the fucking pacing to allow things to soak in. The earlier part of the episode was much stronger in my opinion than the later half mainly because the mono no aware atmosphere could actually be felt.

In many ways, this is what I wanted Kill La Kill to be. I wish this episode had happened something like midway through the series leading to an interesting 2nd half. In many ways the show was just missed opportunity after missed opportunity. Oh and background art was impeccable as always.

Kill la Kill's action scenes are still mostly wild flailing even on the OVA. Feels even worse when I'm coming off the well choreographed sword fights in Utena. The storyboarding on the KLK OVA is a low even for the series though, with loads of really claustrophobic closeups.

Yeah, I think so too. Last scene was pretty good though.

Kill La Kill OVA-

I agree, I thought the OVA was better then a lot of episodes of the actual series, and I kinda wish the whole show was like the OVA and not so breakneck but that's Imaishi for you.
Which is weird, because the only real OVER THE TOP CRAZY was in the OVA at the end.

Crocodile

It's just ironic that the guy's pitch is that Japan is ruining anime with moe and here he comes with something that is equally problematic.

Well joke's on me as I wasn't really paying attention to the interviews and what not :p I'd still take UTD and stuff like it over your average moeshit though and I feel the vast majority of English speaking anime fans would agree :p

Branduil

Kill la Kill, as a series, wanted to be some kind epic pastiche that was retro while also being modern and cool. Unfortunately, it knew what it wanted to be but didn't have any real plan to achieve it other than just have a bunch of loud and perverse stuff happening and cribbing plots from old JRPGs as they rewrote the script on the fly.

Jarmel

Banned
What blows my mind about the UTD Kickstarter right now is that if it keeps the same pace for the next two days, it would actually hit the first stretch goal. I have no clue why things just skyrocketed today.

dimb

Bjergsen is the greatest midlane in the world
So last week RWBY finally added lighting. At least when the show feels like it, which means sometimes it's completely absent and other times 1/3 of the screen is tinted pink for no apparent reason. I have no idea what prompted this mid-season production shift, but surely this move is the final nail in hand drawn anime's coffin.

striferser

Huge Nickleback Fan
*googles Mind Games*

http://s1e1.com/images/Book-ClubWindy-Tales-Episode-13_8E3B/1311.jpg[IMG]

What's wrong with your FAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAACE

And people whine about Sailor Moon Crystal having derp face lol

Bonds breaking INTENSIFIES

[SPOILER]but I still love you[/SPOILER][/QUOTE]

Wind game is awesome though. The animation style is solid all the way from beginning till the end.

=========================================================
Under the dog is funded? Nice. If anything, i can at least expect good animation from it
[B]
Gekkan Shojo Nozaki kun 09[/B]
Poor Chiyo. Still a good episode, and that tanuki!
[B]
Space Dandy latest[/B]
Another strong episode. Not as strong as previous, but the whole thing reeks of style and fabulous. That final ending scene is so damn fun to watch.

Haven't watch much anime this week, thanks to Danganronpa 1. This game is amazing. I'm going to buy the sequel soon!

Under the Dog doesn't look like anything special, from the video it looks a lot of the animation is CGI. So what's so special about the OVA? I backed Little Witch Academy because I liked the first one and wanted to see more. Why should I back it?

Branduil

Under the Dog doesn't look like anything special, from the video it looks a lot of the animation is CGI. So what's so special about the OVA? I backed Little Witch Academy because I liked the first one and wanted to see more. Why should I back it?

I only backed it because of Ando.

firehawk12

Subete no aware
Just a few more finished series from the extended sales list:

http://www.someanithing.com/2041

D-Frag! series average 2,561 (6 vols)
Sekai Seifuku series average 2,122 (6 vols)
Buddy Complex series average 1,161 (BD-only release, 6 vols)

Also, the Ano Natsu de Matteru BD-box w/OVA sells 2,503. Will be interesting to see the OVA's standalone sales in November.
Wait, I wonder if the plans for a BD box was the reason why Sentai couldn't get a BD release of the show last year. I would probably be willing to double dip if they do a new BD set with the OVA... but knowing them, they'll probably sell them separately if they get it at all.

(I also had no idea there was an OVA, but that's another story).

Well joke's on me as I wasn't really paying attention to the interviews and what not :p I'd still take UTD and stuff like it over your average moeshit though and I feel the vast majority of English speaking anime fans would agree :p
I just think it's funny that he's saving anime by basically making another anime. lol

Sketchbag

Banned
Ummm Canaan had those character design because it an adaptation of a bonus scenario of a typemoon VN with the main creators of typemoon Nasu and character designer Takeuchi, on board (Nasu actually worked on it). They didn't actually design those characters.

But they used Alphard's model of big titted, tube wrap wearing thing. Would it be wrong to give her an actual t-shirt? Is that destroying the spirit of the character? It's these things they don't change on purpose or subconsciously and it's off-putting.

But seriously though, is this really screaming something that won't get funded by industry? "#KeepAnimeAlive"?

Looks like noitaminA sci-fi entry basically.
That was just to get the funding because otaku won't fund originality. The real thing will be completely different and a #gamechanger.
It could be a lot worse. :|

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom