• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Summer 2014 Anime |OT2| Or, where Jexhius finally watches more Doremi for Hito.

Status
Not open for further replies.
So my sister keeps going on about akame ga kill. Is this a good thing? Should I watch it?

If you like dumb action shows and misleading titles, go for it.
I enjoy it. It's enjoyable.
Also they seem to be skipping quite a lot of stuff now (the bandit raid this episode was really condensed, for example) but keeping all the Esdese parts so no one is complaining much

WHO?

This guy?

I kinda doubt there'll be any mecha stuff in this.

So my sister keeps going on about akame ga kill. Is this a good thing? Should I watch it?

if you like shows that wanted to do something grimdark but then are reminded that they are anime and have harem comedy hijinks then go for it. It isn't bad by any means, just extremely confused.

Chaika -The Coffin Princess- (1 - 12 END)

Beginning the show, I wasn't quite sure what to expect. What I got was an enjoyable and detailed story, good characters, and twists that I couldn't have predicted in a million years.

It's hard to sum up a show like this without spoiling a lot of details that help make the series work as well as it did. Just when you think you've got everything figured out, another arrow comes out of nowhere, bringing forth another wrinkle of the plot.

If I had to recommend the show using one reason, I would say that it would be the characters. The cast, while expanding almost every arc, is simple enough to figure out. Yet, they continue to evolve and learn over the season.

For a show I watched on a whim, I've got to say, I'm really looking forward to the second season.

If you haven't, watch the anime based off the author's other work, Scrapped Princess. There are a lot of similarities, and SP has the advantage of being already over.

Beginning the show, I wasn't quite sure what to expect. What I got was an enjoyable and detailed story, good characters, and twists that I couldn't have predicted in a million years.

It's hard to sum up a show like this without spoiling a lot of details that help make the series work as well as it did. Just when you think you've got everything figured out, another arrow comes out of nowhere, bringing forth another wrinkle of the plot.

If I had to recommend the show using one reason, I would say that it would be the characters. The cast, while expanding almost every arc, is simple enough to figure out. Yet, they continue to evolve and learn over the season.

For a show I watched on a whim, I've got to say, I'm really looking forward to the second season.

if you like shows that wanted to do something grimdark but then are reminded that they are anime and have harem comedy hijinks then go for it. It isn't bad by any means, just extremely confused.

If you like dumb action shows and misleading titles, go for it.
I enjoy it. It's enjoyable.
Also they seem to be skipping quite a lot of stuff now (the bandit raid this episode was really condensed, for example) but keeping all the Esdese parts so no one is complaining much

WHO?

I kinda doubt there'll be any mecha stuff in this.

sounds alright....*sees the word harem*.......I'm out.

Terror 8

iF4TENv.png
Only positive thing I got from this series. I would drop it already, but at this point I want to know what was the grand plan, and this is a 12 eps series, isn't it? I will have to be strong. Curiosity killed the cat, I suppose. Or my brain cells, in this case.

Jex

(Yes, I know I'm writing this without finishing the show. Sue me.)

[Jexhius' Rebuild of Gundam Unicorn] 1 - 6

awkwardlinksp3kb4.gif

Acting.

I just can't do it, GundamGAF. I can't truly love this show. Perhaps it's because my soul is pulled down by the Earth's gravity, but I cannot ignore how problematic the writing in this show is, especially with respect to our protagonist. I will admit that viewing the entire work together greatly improves the experience but it can't hide some of the fundamental problems with the writing. It's a shame, really, because the work that went into this series and the promise of the story could make for a really stand-out work. Unfortunately it's probably just going to be remembered as a very pretty show.

Terror 8

Only positive thing I got from this series. I would drop it already, but at this point I want to know what was the grand plan, and this is a 12 eps series, isn't it? I will have to be strong. Curiosity killed the cat, I suppose. Or my brain cells, in this case.

You're a braver soul than I. I didn't find the writing horrible I just lost interest and stopped watching.

Akame Ga Kill - 10

I enjoyed this one alot. Mainly because of plot and focus being on Jaegers. Esdeath is pretty interesting, I thought I was going to hate her.
I had hoped that Tatsumi would be with the Jaegers a long time (like 5~episodes or something), so his mind would be 'erased' and having doubts about which group to continue fighting for. Sort of like Anakin > Darth Vader

Also Bols best girl
O4HhtP7.jpg
Tatsumi had more interactions with the jaegers, but it was cut out of the anime. This episode was rush compared to the manga.

Principate

Saint Titanfall
Yeah should've warned you, this show takes itself extremely seriously, Rider and Waver are the comic relief of the show but they're not gonna do silly anime faces or scream reactions. In fact I don't recall seeing a single 'anime face change' comedy thing throughout the whole show.

It's definitely a show about the battle of ideologies, and the action and characters are great, but hopefully the fact it's serious doesn't turn you off. Cowboy Bebop for example is less silly than Samurai Champloo but also has comedic aspects and episodes to it. FZ can get pretty dark. Once you get through this show you'll most likely need another comedy filled show.

It's really not all that dark. It's not ample in comedy but it's tone is that of any relatively serious action show. Honestly never even though of F/Z as a dark show,

Rebel Leader

THE POWER OF BUTTERSCOTCH BOTTOMS
One Piece 660

Spend almost the entire episode on a flashback I don't really care for after seeing it the first time.

Like I know they're catching up to the manga, but its agonizing having to watch how slow this is.

better than 2 years of horrible filler (naruto)

It's really not all that dark. It's not ample in comedy but it's tone is that of any relatively serious action show. Honestly never even though of F/Z as a dark show,

Depends on your definition as it's entirely subjective, but some of the actions of the characters can be pretty messed up depending on the individual.

mankoto

Akame ga Kill 9
Finally, we get to see Wave and Bols. Funnily enough,since they take out all of the torture stuff in the anime, Esdeath actually seems okay.
I might actually feel bad if they do a second season and we see the moment her heart breaks

-___- I need to have a word with my sis.
Well, to be fair, there are only
girls that present themselves as love interests in the manga. So it's not that bad. Otherwise in some situations it's just standard shounen hijinks when it's supposed to be seinen.

Principate

Saint Titanfall
Depends on your definition as it's entirely subjective, but some of the actions of the characters can be pretty messed up depending on the individual.

It's basically just caster the rest of the characters aren't all that dark It's a serious story but aside from Casters murderous rampages it's not a particularily dark story. Most of it's other more serious themes are directly borrowed from FSN.

The novels a fair bit darker than the anime adaptation.

Gekkan Shoujo Nozaki-kun 10

I think this was probably the best episode yet, and both Seo and Kashima were in it at the same time. COINCIDENCE?
The part where Kashima tried singing killed me.

Because Bandai Namco Games invested the second most money into the production and need some way to recoup that funding. See also M3.

Well, that does make sense.

Midonin

Nozaki 10

Bringing the girls back into focus, I'm okay with that. Kinda surprised there are only two people in the theater seeing a B-movie. Maybe it wasn't a very crowded time of day.

(Yes, I know I'm writing this without finishing the show. Sue me.)

[Jexhius' Rebuild of Gundam Unicorn] 1 - 6

awkwardlinksp3kb4.gif

Acting.

I just can't do it, GundamGAF. I can't truly love this show. Perhaps it's because my soul is pulled down by the Earth's gravity, but I cannot ignore how problematic the writing in this show is, especially with respect to our protagonist. I will admit that viewing the entire work together greatly improves the experience but it can't hide some of the fundamental problems with the writing. It's a shame, really, because the work that went into this series and the promise of the story could make for a really stand-out work. Unfortunately it's probably just going to be remembered as a very pretty show.
#AnimeGate

I plan on checking it out myself eventually. Hope the mecha sakuga is worth it.

duckroll

Ever since the Wizard Barristers BD/DVD were all delayed for 3 months after Vol2 was released, it's been a long wait to see what sort of serious improvements they've been making to the show, which had a pretty tragic production schedule. Vol3 has been released, and we can finally look at some of the corrections and decensorship they have applied to episode 6 of the series.

This is by no means comprehensive, but here's a look at a comparison of 35 different changes in the episode, in each scene, the TV versiono is first, followed by the BD version: http://imgur.com/a/uvr6p

I should note this gallery is nsfw and contains a number of panty shots and some gore. Also a ton of derpy faces, in both versions, so I guess it's pretty :wonzo too.

I'm going to pick some SFW comparisons to embed here to talk about some of the more interesting/hilarious changes:

Okay this one is pretty obvious. At least the police car looks kinda like a real vehicle now. They redrew the cop lady too, but she still looks derpy. I guess some things can't be helped.

What's interesting about this scene besides the extra bystanders in the background and the enhanced look of shock in the hostages, is that they actually redid some animation completely. In the TV version the frog just kinda praces up to Cecil and stands there. In the BD version he rushes up and does that jump kick.

Took the only SFW screen from this sequence to showcase. Whew. Anyway what's interesting about this is that they completely redrew and reanimated this scene. There are now walking bystanders on the shares, the boy looks completely different, the hero suit is much more detailed, and at the very end of the scene, instead of cutting away after she goes up the stairs, there's an added sequence of her chicken familiar following her up the stairs before it cuts to a close-up of the familiar. In the TV version, it just cuts to the close-up immediately and loops it for extra long.

They also redrew and reframed this shot completely. Giving a wider view. What's extra interesting is the NSFW scene right after this (as seen in the gallery), where in the TV version it cuts to a close-up shot immediately, while in the BD version it stays in this frame for the entire duration of her animated pose (which in doing so also exposes her panties because of the full frame). Yeah, that's a lot of effort just to get more lewd in. :umetsu

This is a pure censorship change. In the TV version after getting shot, the guy just lingers on that static frame for a second or so in a really artificial way. In the BD version they cut to the exit wound immediately and show him falling. There's also blood coming out of his mouth in the BD version, which isn't there in the TV version when it cuts to the head falling out of the frame.

I'm glad -someone- remembered what a real street actually looks like on a busy weekend. Lol.

This shot was completely omitted from the TV version with just a black screen. In the BD version there's a pretty graphic but quick shot of the bullet exiting the back of the guy's head as blood and tissue splatters into the camera. Later on there's also a shot of another bullet wound on the body, but the TV version replaced it with an extra long zoom out of the earpiece on his head instead.

---

Overall I'll say that this is pretty promising for the future episodes. This wasn't one of the more unfinished episodes by far, and the fact that they managed to correct a bunch of stuff and actually reanimate some stuff is good news. Looking forward to see how much of an improvement the really bad episodes are... like the ones with completely missing footage. *cough*

Please Twins! 02

The fanservice levels have increased. Same with the amount of comedy. Some of the comedy is pretty bizarre though, but it's still funny.

Maiku, Miina and Karen brush aside the possibility that all three could be related because there's only 2 people in the photo they have. That makes sense. Miina and Karen considers leaving, but then they don't because Maiku is actually nice, so nice that he eats the whole boxed lunch Miina made even if he says he doesn't like it.

vinnygambini

Why are strippers at the U.N. bad when they're great at strip clubs???
Just started watching Barakamon and I have to say that it is simply splendid, it's charming and funny! Recommended :)

Jex

A modern day Stardust Memory?

Okay, the writing isn't anywhere near that bad.

-------------------------------------

[Stardust Crusaders] - 23

Probably the worst episode in the entire series. I think it was about 70% padding, give or take.

Okay, the writing isn't anywhere near that bad.

-------------------------------------

[Stardust Crusaders] - 23

Probably the worst episode in the entire series. I think it was about 70% padding, give or take.

It was, but I didn't think the padding was that bad.
When she called again, I was getting kind of tired of it though.
I'm sure they have a reason for needing to stretch this 1 episode fight into two. Probably want to end on the perfect spot, but they could've adapted a later single chapter in here and I don't think it would've made much of a difference.

And that Part 2 episode with the oil pillar was worse.

mankoto

Akame ga Kill 10
Some of these shots make Esdeath look really big when I'm sure she isn't that big.

Truth be told, even though Wave has the advantage of having a better suit, I'd really be interested in seeing Tatsumi and Wave fight it out.

Midonin

Princess Tutu 01-02

Saying "a Junichi Sato magical girl show" doesn't exactly narrow the field of candidates. But if it walks like a duck and quacks like a duck, it probably has something to do with ballet. I know the reputation this has, but I sought it out not just because of reputation, but because magical girls are probably my favorite anime genre overall. There's a lot of Junichi Sato works I want to see, this one included.

The atmosphere and setting of the show are pretty great. The town feels full of life, but also equally empty, kind of ethereal and like there are lots of places a person wouldn't want to go. Like the lake. It was covered in fog most of the time. To say nothing of Drosselmeyer being as wacked-out as the Happy Mask Salesman, and offering nearly the same deal. I know enough about the more famous ballet works that I can recognize some of this stuff (thank you, Sieg the Imagin) and the ballet dance battles are an intriguing mechanic.

Nana Mizuki has been playing rivals to magical girls for a large portion of her career, hasn't she?

The OP and ED are both pretty serene and fitting for the show, and I like Duck and her friends. She's got a good heart and a lot of energy, and a good head on her shoulders to know what needs to be done. Even the brief transformation sequence gets the job done, though I want to track down one of the promos to see a slightly more elaborate one that I've heard is in there.

Please Twins! 03

Marie from Please Teacher shows up and nobody except Maiku thinks it's strange that there's an alien there.

Miina seems to have fallen in love with Maiku which might be really bad if they're blood-related twins or ok if they're strangers. The student council vice president also likes Maiku so lots of love rivalry ahoy. Some of Karens sad backstory gets revealed too when Karen and Maiku have a talk, and then Miina and the vice president walks in on them and totally misread the situation which leads to hilarity of course. I actually laughed.

Akame ga Kill! 10

Esdese's Esdeaths the episode

Sabagebu! 10

Momoka confirmed for Danny Glover?
I'm almost disappointed the 3rd segment didn't carry over into the next episode.

"when I opened my eyes, she was using me as a body pillow"

Rofl, exact same scene and words are used in High school DxD.

Theonik

There are ten OVAs of Kiss x Siss? What the fuck? Who's buying this crap?
These are bundled with the Manga so, the people who buy that garbage I guess. I think there is 1-2 more of these planned.

Strike Witches 01

http://abload.de/img/laughuejwy.gif

I'm sure there's perfectly reasonable explanation why no female character under 20 wears trousers. Like war rationing and discrimination of women.

And all those shots at the beginning, dear lord. At least they're playing their cards straight lol.

And that's not how Battle of Britain came to be.
In the Strike Witches universe, those ARE trousers. As for the reason why? You free to fill that hole yourself.

Oh holy shit this Queen is a cute.
Miyukichi of the season.
It's a redundant ranking. All Miyukichi is godly.

3DCG tomboy best girl
YES.

Dog Days - 02-07(Top place is a dead heat between Yukikaze and Leo)
Leo is voiced by mai waifu so it wins.

Besides, if it gets somebody else watch a good show, I'll gladly sit though terrible shows. Like watching Infinite Stratos in exchange for Hyouka. I'll still bitch about them afterwards.
Don't complain, IS fan #2!

Once Porco Rosso and spirited away are out on blu ray I'll buy my ghibli favorite film trifecta with mononoke.
They're already out. Got them too.

Ranma 1/2

It's kind of odd, since it seems like Ranma's anime team otherwise isn't fond of background cameos and references, unlike Urusei Yatsura's.
That quality BARF.

Seconded.
Thirded

Edit: Although after the shocking irc revelation, it may end up being "Not actually called Jeff".
And this should be the tag.

I disapprove of this because it advocates using style to cover for a lack of substance. I always knew Shinbo was up to no good!
Style is substance.

I could chose to describe it in a way that would make Corvo, and other's excited:

Aldnoah Zero episode 7 was Turn A Gundam meets Space Battleship Yamato meets Nadia: Secret of Blue Water meets the finale of Shin Mazinger Impact Z!

This is all 100% true.
I shall watch Aldnoah Zero. This is all on your head.

Birth OVA(1984)-
So this is an OVA that pretty much nobody has ever heard of, let alone seen.
I've known of Birth for a long time, largely by it's reputation of being awful. However, your write up suggests otherwise so perhaps I'll chuck it on my backlog.
Hey, both me and Nafe had some nice things to say about it even though it's really a mixed bag of an OVA.
Also I will link this shot again because lol:

I may have gone too far with my recent Studio Ghibli acquistions:
I think you haven't gone far enough to be honest. I need to make one of these posts soon it seems.

narag's fetish is blood and gore/guro
Well is it?

Why are people watching Gosick now? Is it because CR is about to take it down? Lol.
Because BONES is the best of course.

So there are 10 days left and Under the Dog hasn't reached half of its funding goal. I don't think it's going to make it, guys.
FUCKING OWNED.

Nozaki Kun 9

http://i.imgur.com/pjCfCUA.gif

The spartan umbrella phalanx around Kashima and the misprints in the second half of the episode had me laughing my ass off. Another great episode.

Chiyo makes the best faces too.
Macedonian Phalanx > Spartan. Dat Sarissa man.

Strike Witches - 2

Newtype Miyafuji musters the courage to get inside her Gundam and fight in the war against the invading robot Kaijus that came through the portal that opened up from the Earth's sky.

Funny mecha references aside, I'm actually kind of enjoying this. I feel like I can actually get behind this main character's backstory and motivations here.

She wants to follow in the footsteps of her dead father to do her best to protect everyone using his technology. I know it's not exactly the most revolutionary of backstories, but it's a hell of a lot better than Vividred's bubbly airhead protagonist fighting just because her grandpa made the thing just for her and ONLY HER can do the fusion dance with the other girls and that's she so important-

YES I AM STILL QUITE BITTER ABOUT THE DISAPPOINTMENT THAT WAS VIVIDRED THANK YOU VERY MUCH.

..Ahem, sorry. Bottom line, I like that the main character's got a decent enough motivation.

I also appreciate the fact that these enemies actually feel like they're a threat, given that we're shown people getting seriously injured (and possibly dying, if the fall of the fighter planes is any indication though they probably had parachutes).

So yeah, the show's off to a good start, I hope it keeps it up.
If you like it now I think you will enjoy it throughout. I knew I could trust you.

I've been laughing at this title since I first laid my eyes on it. So bad.

Strike Witches - 4

Pretty okay episode. I suspect from episode 3 onwards, the show is just going to be about each one of the girl's backstories? I can live with that. I mean, if the villains aren't going to get a spotlight then they might as well develop some good character drama for the heroes.
It's best to picture the Neuroi as some nebulous threat for the most part. (they are even in a cloud hive) On your occupation point, it's more of a, well 'the evil aliens are there so we've had to flee' sort of thing. No-one in the universe really knows what or why the neuroi appeared. You should watch on, that will answer some other questions about them but they never bother explaining really.

Each witch gets their own episode of sorts btw. Some are shared, in it their personalities and parts of their backstories are explored.

I found this picture labelled 'good anime' on the Opera theme site. Almost burst laughing at work.

You know, the designs really suck but the OP was still baller as fuck.

Strike Witches - 5

Obligatory beach episode. Also kinda relevant:

https://images.encyclopediadramatica.es/9/9f/GOTTA_GO_FAST.gif
I am expecting your episode 7 impressions with a bated breath.

Last night on AnimeGAF...

And now the thrilling conclusion!

Strike Witches - 7

http://bigtonysfantasyleague.files.wordpress.com/2012/10/smh-bunk-from-the-wire.gif?w=320
BASED ON A TRUE STORY.

Lupin S3 - 01
The 80's were not kind to Goemon. He gained weight and a stupid haircut.
That aside, this was absolutely dreadful. 100% awful. The low points of Season 2 were better than this. And they made 50 episodes? Fucking hell.
At least the OP is well animated. S3 has some high points but it's less than S2 obviously.

Strike Witches - 8

...I'm sorry, what?

Minna says she has to make sure she never loses anyone ever again.

Then proceeds to point a gun at Sakamoto.
This will make sense next episode. People do silly things when they are afraid of losing people they love.

Yeah I went through the first two seasons. S2 is just a mixed ride of average and good. S3 on the other hand is proving to be a horrific mess. Episode 2 didn't get any better at all.
Might just skim through it.
What did you think about S1 episode 5? (prison break)

Perfection.
Hmmm.

Yeah much better. Anyone remember that server room bridge drama they made? That was so lol.

I'm getting Theonik to watch Mushishi! Granted it's at the cost of me watching the idolm@ster but still.

I'd watchbet Corvo into watching some good stuff but he seems to have developed a phobia from them now and ignores the suggestion.
If only DHL was not so shit I'd have started this weekend.

Wow, what's with everyone making terrible watchbets
Hey, THE iDOLM@STER and Dog Days are both enjoyable shows!

cajunator

Banned
Akame ga Kill! 10

Esdese's Esdeaths the episode

Sabagebu! 10

Momoka confirmed for Danny Glover?
I'm almost disappointed the 3rd segment didn't carry over into the next episode.

Esdeath really looks awesome. I like her already.

Please Twins! 01

Well, it starts out nice enough and I think I like the OP better than the Please Teacher one.

And then suddenly out of nowhere one of the characters gets felt up:

She manages to escape and meets the MC that says this:

What's with this series and MCs saying horrible things? :p

Other than that there's a lot of characters from Please Teacher! that make an appearance and there's too many blood-related people.

Oh, and there's a character that says nyu a lot. Just like uh... Nyu in Elfen Lied.

Who keeps makin you watch these things? :(

It turned out to be a better show than many thought. I really love Chiakas character design.

Hmm... sounds interesting. I might have to take a look and consider it soon.

Scrapped Princess is well worth your while, especially if you enjoyed Chaika.

Ever since the Wizard Barristers BD/DVD were all delayed for 3 months after Vol2 was released, it's been a long wait to see what sort of serious improvements they've been making to the show, which had a pretty tragic production schedule. Vol3 has been released, and we can finally look at some of the corrections and decensorship they have applied to episode 6 of the series.

This is by no means comprehensive, but here's a look at a comparison of 35 different changes in the episode, in each scene, the TV versiono is first, followed by the BD version: http://imgur.com/a/uvr6p

I should note this gallery is nsfw and contains a number of panty shots and some gore. Also a ton of derpy faces, in both versions, so I guess it's pretty :wonzo too.

I'm going to pick some SFW comparisons to embed here to talk about some of the more interesting/hilarious changes:

Okay this one is pretty obvious. At least the police car looks kinda like a real vehicle now. They redrew the cop lady too, but she still looks derpy. I guess some things can't be helped.

What's interesting about this scene besides the extra bystanders in the background and the enhanced look of shock in the hostages, is that they actually redid some animation completely. In the TV version the frog just kinda praces up to Cecil and stands there. In the BD version he rushes up and does that jump kick.

Took the only SFW screen from this sequence to showcase. Whew. Anyway what's interesting about this is that they completely redrew and reanimated this scene. There are now walking bystanders on the shares, the boy looks completely different, the hero suit is much more detailed, and at the very end of the scene, instead of cutting away after she goes up the stairs, there's an added sequence of her chicken familiar following her up the stairs before it cuts to a close-up of the familiar. In the TV version, it just cuts to the close-up immediately and loops it for extra long.

They also redrew and reframed this shot completely. Giving a wider view. What's extra interesting is the NSFW scene right after this (as seen in the gallery), where in the TV version it cuts to a close-up shot immediately, while in the BD version it stays in this frame for the entire duration of her animated pose (which in doing so also exposes her panties because of the full frame). Yeah, that's a lot of effort just to get more lewd in. :umetsu

This is a pure censorship change. In the TV version after getting shot, the guy just lingers on that static frame for a second or so in a really artificial way. In the BD version they cut to the exit wound immediately and show him falling. There's also blood coming out of his mouth in the BD version, which isn't there in the TV version when it cuts to the head falling out of the frame.

I'm glad -someone- remembered what a real street actually looks like on a busy weekend. Lol.

This shot was completely omitted from the TV version with just a black screen. In the BD version there's a pretty graphic but quick shot of the bullet exiting the back of the guy's head as blood and tissue splatters into the camera. Later on there's also a shot of another bullet wound on the body, but the TV version replaced it with an extra long zoom out of the earpiece on his head instead.

---

Overall I'll say that this is pretty promising for the future episodes. This wasn't one of the more unfinished episodes by far, and the fact that they managed to correct a bunch of stuff and actually reanimate some stuff is good news. Looking forward to see how much of an improvement the really bad episodes are... like the ones with completely missing footage. *cough*

I totally forgot about this show!

This guy?
I asked for a MECHA GAME, in ep 23 it was even a mecha fighting game !!
I ..don't care about the rest.

Heck that vita game is probably the extended version of ep 23.

"when I opened my eyes, she was using me as a body pillow"

Rofl, exact same scene and words are used in High school DxD.

Rias and esdeath are the best girls in their respectives stories.

Digimon Adventure (1 - 54, END)

In 1999/2000, a franchise found its way into the hearts and minds of many people around the world. The story of a group of children and their monster allies fighting evil forces in a mysterious land. Such a generic sounding series can't possibly be such a big deal, right?

Wrong.

Digimon Adventure is the first season of the Digimon Franchise, running 54 episodes. It aired early 1999 in Japan, and late summer 1999 in the US. Seven children at a summer camp are transported into the "Digital World", where they meet their partner Digimon. Not all is well, however as the Digimon are forced to fight in order to survive. Through the strength and support of their human partners, the Digimon are able to evolve into stronger forms, useful for when the force takes on stronger enemies set on making sure that the prophecies about these "Chosen Children" do not come to pass.

Later on in the season, the Children and Digimon make their way back to the real world in search of an eighth "Chosen Child". While the arc itself is well done, it loses a bit of drama by being spoiled by the second ending credits set, which begins just as the arc does.

Digimon Adventure's main strength is in its likeable characters. Out of eight children and eight digimon, there is at least one main character that the viewer is going to like. Each character does have their share of faults, however. Most of the time this helps improve the character, but there are a few cases that slip up and hurt the character's image overall.

To me, Digimon Adventure was a true surprise. I watched the series as a child, on television with the English dub. This was the first time I watched it in Japanese. I came away impressed with some bits, but also yearning back to the English dub for others. For instance, PicoDevimon, a mischievous little Digimon, had a stereotypically mischievous voice in English, however he had a rather assuring and trusting voice in Japanese. On the reverse side, however, Angemon had a rather high pitched, teenage-like voice in Japanese, while his voice was deep and commanding in English, something fitting for a powerful angel.

Digimon Adventure is a strong start to a franchise that has seen its share of ups and downs over the year. Building and supporting such a large main cast is something that the franchise never was able to duplicate since.

Next up, the franchise continues on with Digimon Adventure 02, the direct sequel to Digimon Adventure. But before that, I've got something to watch first: The second Digimon movie, Our War Game!

Well, they also made a Samurai Flamenco cabinet game for what matters, and that one didn't have tits, so...

Why did no one tell me?

Esdeath really looks awesome. I like her already.

Is this pushing you further into the S territory? I can't tell.

I asked for a MECHA GAME, in ep 23 it was even a mecha fighting game !!
I ..don't care about the rest.

Heck that vita game is probably the extended version of ep 23.

Jesus Christ how horrifying

Tatsumi had more interactions with the jaegers, but it was cut out of the anime. This episode was rush compared to the manga.

welp, well thats unfortunate since they're the high points for me. How is the general pace of the anime? Is it tokyo ghoul rushed, or pretty well adapted?
How far in the manga are we at this point, % wise?

How do you justify the screen available and the name of the game , otherwise ?

It's horrifying because you're probably right.

welp, well thats unfortunate since they're the high points for me. How is the general pace of the anime? Is it tokyo ghoul rushed, or pretty well adapted?

Compared to Tokyo Ghoul it's fine, and it mostly has been. They've skipped past some stuff (was particularly not great this episode, they condensed pretty much an entire chapter into one minute with that Bandit Raid). If you really cared I'd pick up the manga, maybe after it's over. I think I might've missed a lot of the stuff that was cut out or it just wasn't very important, because they seem to be going at a pretty good pace. I kind of feel like the Jaegers intro got a little gimped though, this episode was fast as hell, seems like they're prioritizing the parts people want to see lol

Right now it's on like Chapter 19.

So far the anime has a decent pace. we have plenty of arcs left and the anime is taking the time to adapt them properly.
Sometimes they just decide to cut things to put in the little Short adaptations ( theater ) ..
Despite the cuts , it's not rushed.

Mr.Jeff

And this should be the tag.
Please don't encourage the tagging.
Not that it matters since we're in Community.

What did you think about S1 episode 5? (prison break)
Fantastic episode. The other one I really like from S1 despite it's non-realistic ideas was the invisible man episode. I guess I tend to prefer the episodes where the premise is taken more seriously. The humour is still there but there's a bit more substance.

The Idolm@ster - 02
Well I guess I prefer this format to the fake-documentary from episode 1 but even as as a slice of life since I don't get on with the idol thing in general, I just end up not caring about any of the characters of their problems.

Jex

[Gundam Unicorn] - 7

3qfEfh5.png

I couldn't have put it better myself, Engisn. Fuck-a-you, Unicorn ending. Shove the "God known as possibility" where the sun doesn't shine.

Theonik

Fantastic episode. The other one I really like from S1 despite it's non-realistic ideas was the invisible man episode. I guess I tend to prefer the episodes where the premise is taken more seriously. The humour is still there but there's a bit more substance.
It's one of my favourite episodes of an anime. So well done. I was going to ask if you preferred the original direction serious Lupin which is closer to MP's version but I guess that answers it. (basically Prison Break vs Lupin Mask legion for me)

The Idolm@ster - 02
Well I guess I prefer this format to the fake-documentary from episode 1 but even as as a slice of life since I don't get on with the idol thing in general, I just end up not caring about any of the characters of their problems.
I think you can brush the idol part of their motivation aside as you get further in if that encourages you to keep going. You will see what I mean I guess.

Antiwhippy

the holder of the trombone
Nozaki 10

My favourite gag throughout this entire series is pretty much how nozaki keeps using his classmates as character inspirations.

Akame ga kill - 010
Akame%20ga%20Kill%21%20-%2010_01.jpg

Do you feel the JUSTICE in this screenshot ?

Pretty good episode , even if they cut little things , the main plot was unchanged....It's a shame those small cuts but it's the price to pay to end an episode on the right note.

Esdeath is just like i wanted. They nailed it , again...The esdeath/Tatsumi moments are superb.
Wave is ... wave The nice counter part of tatsumi ... Again they nailed most of the episode with him. Their time was shorter but that's because of some cuts earlier in the anime. Again not much was lost , but i guess that it's going to be a lot over time.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom