• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Summer 2014 Anime |OT2| Or, where Jexhius finally watches more Doremi for Hito.

Status
Not open for further replies.
G Gundam - 21

All right, first thing's first.

GF13-066NO_Nether_Gundam_Front.png

O1pudhq.gif
GOAT
cqignPb.gif

Second, I wasn't expecting
the training to get interrupted by Master Asia. This training arc just got really heated up. I also wasn't expecting the Finals of the tournament to be so soon. I mean, there's more than 20 episodes left, I expected them to start at around episode 30 or something. Instead it looks like they'll start at episode 25.

It's also really cool seeing the entire team fighting on the same side again, this time with them being ready at the start. Should be interesting to see how this fight gets resolved!

CorvoSol

Not sure what you mean by sops but most of the women in Escaflowne had some degree of personal agency, which is more than you can say for a lot of anime.

Maybe it's just been awhile since I saw Escaflowne but what I recall of the girls was that they were either sexy cat ladies or they sat around palaces cheating on their husbands all day. Hitomi and Merle were the only ones who stood out to me.

In fairness, though, I owe Escaflowne a rewatch anyway since last time I was too drunk off the glorious madness that was
Isaac Newton trying to get a teenage girl to fall in love for his evil master plan.

Of the 5 you mentioned Corvo, Rain is the only one i've seen in action. I would say that by the standards of female Gundam characters Rain stands above most of the women in the franchise (LOL Flay) though I don't think I would call her the best.

Well, I can understand where Rain loses points, but since I recall you being #TeamAllenby instead I think we'll have to lay down the swords on this one, haha.

Articalys

Summer 2004 had Operation Sanctuary, Demonbane and Wind: A Breath Of Heart. Maybe you can count four if you include the Kimi ga Nozomu Eien OVA, but I personally wouldn't.
Almost ten years to the season! Quite an amusing coincidence.

-----------------------------------------

The Log Horizon twitter account posted an amusing in-character meta conversation in the wake of Nishikori's U.S. Open loss. I took a stab at a loose translation of it, though any corrections would be appreciated.

https://twitter.com/nhk_loghorizon/status/509165583657476096
AKATSUKI: My lord, how regrettable for Nishikori.
SHIROE: Still, it's great he made it to the final match.
AKATSUKI: Indeed, I too want to keep getting stronger.
NAOTSUGU: The Baby Steps staff must be depressed...
AKATSUKI: Certainly, kids playing tennis all across Japan would have been thrilled.
NAOTSUGU: You're a kid yourself... *Akatsuki knee to the face*
Only a few more weeks until the show itself is back!

Maybe it's just been awhile since I saw Escaflowne but what I recall of the girls was that they were either sexy cat ladies or they sat around palaces cheating on their husbands all day. Hitomi and Merle were the only ones who stood out to me.

In fairness, though, I owe Escaflowne a rewatch anyway since last time I was too drunk off the glorious madness that was
Isaac Newton trying to get a teenage girl to fall in love for his evil master plan.

Well, I can understand where Rain loses points, but since I recall you being #TeamAllenby instead I think we'll have to lay down the swords on this one, haha.

Haha, Yeah though to fair I did sort of change my mind regarding DomonxRain by the last episode.

firehawk12

Subete no aware
I recall reading dakkumauji's impressions of the manga and it seemed like harmless cute fluffy type of shoujo instead of a trashy one.
Yeah, the promo animations seem to lean that way. It's just weird to have the central relationship be between twins rather than, well, what we're getting with Ao Haru Ride and all the shoujos that have come before it.

So then people might read it?
the one crossover i shall never read
RIP wonzo.

Do you understand love at all?
I understand genres!

Branduil

Chaika the Coffin Princess 3

iODkAyrmaKRcc.jpg

strongfemalecharacters.jpg

It turns out that carrying around a coffin everywhere is bad for your reputation. Also, I bet if those two-headed lightning dog things existed in real life, people would defend them as great pets for kids.

Quasar

ore mono still better

you say this as if it doesnt already move hundreds of thousands per volume

As if I do research before I troll. Though really thats the main reason to do book crossovers to get people who don't read A but read B to try A.

I don't know if it would work for me as it looks ugly, which is part of why I never tried it.

Yes! Precure 5 Go Go! 01 - 12

Bunbee is the most put upon of all the Precure villains. Not only does he get his butt kicked across two seasons, but it's just one indignity on top of another for him. He got demoted, treated like crap, and then almost murdered by his old company. (To be fair, he did treat his subordinates like crap too, but at the end he did get upset when Kawarino gave them the black cards, and seemed to genuinely care about Arachnea.) Then he goes to work for Eternal and gets treated like crap there too, gets beat up by the Precure for stealing their cake when he didn't even do it, and then when he finally becomes friends with Scorp, Scorp gets murdered by the Precure. :'( RIP Scorp.

And now Milk is a Precure. I'm conflicted on this because I do like her design, but Milk is such a little brat, and now she's been a Precure for one day and is already the most powerful Precure and she's all like "Get on my level" to the others. Just because the king pooped out a seed right in front of you, doesn't give you the right to step to Nozomi like that, gurl.

Good thing shes not a cure

Antiwhippy

the holder of the trombone
As if I do research before I troll. Though really thats the main reason to do book crossovers to get people who don't read A but read B to try A.

I don't know if it would work for me as it looks ugly, which is part of why I never tried it.

Kind of the point though.

Beauty is only skin deep
unless you like them beefy.

survivor

Banned
still waiting for ore monogatari (aka best shojo ever) anime
70s shoujo > ore monogatari

ore mono still better

you say this as if it doesnt already move hundreds of thousands per volume

surprisingly enough Ore Monogatari used to actually sell better than Nisekoi during the time of the crossover. Though after the anime adaptation they both sell about the same

wonzo

Banned

fukken smh

surprisingly enough Ore Monogatari used to actually sell better than Nisekoi during the time of the crossover. Though after the anime adaptation they both sell about the same
yea it seems nisekoi got quite the bump thanks to the anime unfortunately

Quasar

fukken smh

True though, whilst I never tried it because (mainly) due to its art I meanwhile read the likes of Soredemo Sekai wa Utsukushii, Nisekoi and Ao Haru Ride. Shallow I am.

Maybe its also due to it seeming like a shojo from the POV of a guy that puts me off.

Theonik

SCRYED is good mindless fun , Punching people , taking poses and good music is all is need sometimes.
DAT OPENING MUSIC
That's kind of where the JoJo, rip-off comment comes from though! As for the music, I found it pretty forgettable. I can't remember it at all.
But I didn't hate the show. It was at least enjoyable. It's just that it's hard to suggest anyone watch it outside certain conditions.
If you are ok with a simple silly show about punching people the show will be OK for you!

Syrinx

Earth Maiden Arjuna 7

Nourishment from the fruits of the land
I've grown to be tasty, so go ahead and eat me
Apples and oranges, carrots and parsley
Tomatoes and cabbage, watercress and green peppers

Appare! Appare! Appare of the land!

Another Appare day for me!

It's delicious!

True though, whilst I never tried it because (mainly) due to its art I meanwhile read the likes of Soredemo Sekai wa Utsukushii, Nisekoi and Ao Haru Ride. Shallow I am.

Maybe its also due to it seeming like a shojo from the POV of a guy that puts me off.

You are missing out on an extremely shallow reason. The thing isn't even about the romance, it's about the comedy and the fact there's like no romantic drama between the main couple. They are just this hilariously cute couple as they hang out together and we see their day to day activities, also it has the best bro in manga history.

Shard

XBLAnnoyance
I watched all of Crest of the Stars last season. That season is the prelude to a large-scale space opera focused around a war between a race of Awesome Beautiful Half-Elves called the Abh and the rest of humanity, and a man and an Abh princess fighting on one side. It's a story that, to me, felt a little too big and ponderous for its own good, but I also feel like it's the kind of sci-fi story that doesn't really get told in anime these days. The core relationship between the two leads is compelling when it's the center of attention, so it's a shame that the series spends as much time lost in its own lore as it does.

I don't feel much desire to move forward to Banner, but I can see why some would like it.

SOLD!

Shard

XBLAnnoyance
1. Dai-Guard

b5S8Woc.jpg

Okay, I know what you're thinking: a Xebec show about giant robots being operated by a PR department is weird that is poorly animated is what the alleged Mecha fan leads off with, but bear with me because I actually think Dai-Guard is one of the most underappreciated and overlooked Mecha anime I've ever seen. It's an incredibly grounded story about people whose problems are strikingly real despite the fact that they pilot a giant robot. Ibuki, the female pilot of the trio, never really moves beyond affection for the hero. She's not caught up in him, but proves to be a good friend to him. She has daddy issues, but rather than them being played up in any insane way, the show spends her share of the time on helping her get past them to make amends with her step-father, who doesn't approve of her career choice. It's hard to put it into words beyond the fact that of the many, many women in giant robot anime, I think Ibuki is the one I could most picture as being a real woman. She's not, as someone put it to me today, an angel or a devil. She's got faults, things she denies in the face of reality, but she also has strengths and compassion when the need arises. Like, I can't stress enough how if anyone here is ever looking to watch a good office comedy/drama, Dai-Guard should be on that list.

Question for the crow, where would place Princess Allura/Princess Fala from Voltron/Go-Lion?

CorvoSol

Question for the crow, where would place Princess Allura/Princess Fala from Voltron/Go-Lion?

Response: Although familiar with Voltron, I have regrettably not yet watched it. It's something I intend to do in the future, but I haven't gotten to it yet.

Ironically, I "own" a Voltron figure.
No I don't, it is my older brother's, and he's simply left it here, where I now possess it. He loved Voltron as a kid.

Shard

XBLAnnoyance
Response: Although familiar with Voltron, I have regrettably not yet watched it. It's something I intend to do in the future, but I haven't gotten to it yet.

Ironically, I "own" a Voltron figure.
No I don't, it is my older brother's, and he's simply left it here, where I now possess it. He loved Voltron as a kid.

Well, I will note Voltron and Go-Lion are not actually the same thing since back in the 1980s you could could smash a couple of series together to make a franchise. Also Syndication episode requirements.

BluWacky

Earth Maiden Arjuna 7

Nourishment from the fruits of the land
I've grown to be tasty, so go ahead and eat me
Apples and oranges, carrots and parsley
Tomatoes and cabbage, watercress and green peppers

Appare! Appare! Appare of the land!

Another Appare day for me!

It's delicious!

I went through a phase where I deliberately put that track on repeat to irritate someone.

Kyou mo genki ni appare genki!

Actually When you"die", death is not instant.
There is actually a 60 sec countdown where you can be revived with the extra ultra rare item AND THEN there is the moment where your brain is fried.
Asuna died , yes but she wasn't "dead"
.If you understand the logic.
And thus when the game was clear, everyone who wasn't dead was placed in the logout queue , and asuna since she isn't "dead" was summonned with kirito.

Ah, right. That thing from episode 3. Thanks for explaining that.

Shard

XBLAnnoyance
Ah, like Robotech vs Macross, then?

Yes, though a bit stranger and more clearly defined. Voltron actually has an extra arc that animated specifically for Voltron, the Queen Merla arc. The Armored Fleet Dairugger XV was transformed into the much more obscure part of the series called Voltron Vehicle.

Shard

XBLAnnoyance
How about G-Force and Gatchaman?

or were those more similar?

Gatchaman was actually turned into three series over here, we have the original dub of the first series called Battle of the Planets. We have the Turner recut called G-Force and then we have the second and third season transformed into the cosmic nightmare that was Saban's Eagle Riders.

madp

The Light of El Cantare
Seeing the conversation on the previous page, and oh such words will I have to say about Zeta Gundam when I finish it if I can actually work up the motivation to say them. UC is already beginning to melt my brain, and I'm not even close to halfway through.

Seeing the conversation on the previous page, and oh such words will I have to say about Zeta Gundam when I finish it if I can actually work up the motivation to say them. UC is already beginning to melt my brain, and I'm not even close to halfway through.

I look forward to your ZZ and CCA impressions, and hope you watch War in the Pocket and 08th MS Team as well.

GundamTwitter is making me terrified of ZZ. All of the people who have been watching my Zeta livetweets have basically just been saying "good luck."

Considering how my various concerns and problems with Zeta are just now slowly condensing into a superheated ball of resentment, I can't even imagine where my dark path takes me next.

Considering one could say your enjoyment of ZZ will be directly related to your enjoyment of Zeta, you should be fine. Prepare for mood whiplash though. Despite my avatar, I think Zeta and ZZ are probably equally enjoyable, or at least on the same tier.

I also greatly look forward to your impressions of Zeta's ending.

madp

The Light of El Cantare
I look forward to your ZZ and CCA impressions, and hope you watch War in the Pocket and 08th MS Team as well.

GundamTwitter is making me terrified of ZZ. All of the people who have been watching my Zeta livetweets have basically just been saying "good luck."

Considering how my various concerns and problems with Zeta are just now slowly condensing into a superheated ball of resentment, I can't even imagine where my dark path takes me next.

jgminto

Shounen Hollywood 10
ibdsIYXLvkUIHm.png

If you asked me which show this season would have a full performance of a Miss Monochrome song in an episode, I probably wouldn't have guessed this one. It's amazing how unique of an approach they've been taking with this show. First an entire episode as a musical and now one as a morning music television show
or at least that's what I assume it is, I'm not that familiar with regular Japanese television.
The musical numbers were all well done and while the quality of the art was rough, they still tried some interesting things with the animation such as moving shots, rotations and a sense of depth on characters. I'd love to see a cleaned up version in a bluray release because I think it could look great.

Acid08

Banned

I'm not that hot on Zeta but I actually loved ZZ. There's an initial hump(about 17 episodes) to get over but it really comes into its own after that and is great the rest of the way through.

cajunator

Banned
Holy shit I just edited that post 12 times or something. Nothing makes me more :Corvo than Stardust Memories.

Thats impressive. Yall are truly dedicated to your craft!

Sailor Moon 36

Bahhhhhhh back to more possessed humans and healing escalation? I also like that as a villain Tuxedo Mask does more during a fight then when he was a good guy

The endgame is soon to come. Unfortunately directly after that is SMR which is dreadful.

SAO 14

Both Kirito and Asuna gets
killed by the enemy that was among them the whole time, but then Kirito manages to overcome death and beat the game
. Asuna is also considered as
winning the game
for some reason and they get the explanation for the everything. castle in the sky.

The absurdity of this episode and the one right after caused me to chuck this show in the bin and hate it forever. It was an impressive feat to be sure, because I rarely drop things with such disdain.

If you guys missed out RS has a limited number of Love Live S1 sets up. The price is jacked up to $58 and they have around than 90 left.

http://www.rightstuf.com/rssite/action/store/item/Item?ItemName=813633014043

Jesus. and now theres one remaining. I bought one in a panic after it sold out on rightstuf for way too much money but I have a feeling this set is going to be worth beaucoup dollars a few years from now and I really have no idea why.
Checking the box it is certainly not made of gold, nor is it particularly special. What is it about this series in particular?

Kokoro Kinect

First of all, let me just say how this show is quite bad. It is.
It's stupid and overly dramatic trying to make some sort of point that I'm not sure even the writers know what it was till this day.
That being said, it gets some props for the ending not utterly disappointing me. Which surprised me.
The best girl won for once. Wow.
Would I recommend it? Well I will answer this with a question. Do you like Miyuki Sawashiro? Depending on your answer Zach might have to kick your ass.

I do indeed love Miyukichi and her characters. In particular Inaban. The show is overblown but not quite in the Key sort of way but more just overly dramatic. Some of Inaban's scenes are super hnnngworthy so it was worth every second.
She is far from perfect but she is PERFECT if you know what I mean.

The Idolm@ster - 03
So I guess each episode is going to have a different idol huh? This episode is Yukiho who we are supposed to care about because she has a fear of men. Perhaps all of the effect is lost because it's taken all of one episode and a few previous cameos to build this up before the revelation happens.
Or perhaps it's because she will be absorbed back into the morass of the group mentality in favour of a different idol and it's all meaningless.
Or even because with such a limited background information her and her reasons for doing any of this, the development is meaningless despite her "working hard all this time!".

This series just crushes my soul and makes me depressed.

Why does this show make you sad?

Cakecaptor Sakura 29

Chip, syrup, whip! Sweet's another one of those really limited use cards, though it turning the entire world into a game of Candy Land was fun, at least up until the point where the chocolate chalkboard would've melted. Simple, fun episode, not much more to say here. Surprised the show had two cooking episodes in a row.

Most of the cards in this series are one use only sort of things. I guess its a product of being formulaic and having to collect so many of them. Sakura does find creative uses for some of them though.
If you have survived this far it is quite possible that the cuteness wont kill you and that you are very strong!

So the end of the Revolutionary Girl Utena has been reached, its status as a masterwork is well earned, now what to watch next, and don't say the movie, I have seen it, several times.

Have you seen From the New world? I forget if you have or not. You would probably like it.

I've had the Yami to Boushi OP theme stuck in my head for the past few days. I need to write my impressions so I can remove any thought of this anime from my mind.

Thats fair. It is a really catchy OP but really really 90s.
Yami is super special and I am so pissed off that the physical release is delayed indefinitely.

Shard

XBLAnnoyance
Crest of the Stars Episode 1:

Yes, I think this was a good pick just for the soundtrack alone, reminds me of Legend of Galactic Heroes, in fact, I am getting quite a lot in the way of LoGH vibes. This might be because like LoGH this series is based a series of novels, and I mean real novels, not light novels either. Visually this series looks like a most unusual pastiche of 1980s and 1990s anime as a lot of the space shots look maybe more dated then they should but the character designs are very distinctly 90s, especially the space elves. Anyway. the first episode is all set-up and backstory and did an adequate job in that regard.

Grave of the Fireflies Impressions

Grave of the Fireflies is a Studio Ghibli movie from 1988 featuring a boy and his sister trying to survive the second world war during the American air raids on Japan. This movie starts out strong, setting the tone straight away from the very first line in the movie. It begins with the protagonist stating that he will die just nineteen days after Japan surrenders. We see a group of homeless, starving youth in what looks to be a train station as others walk by them without a second glance and sometimes the occasional insult. Just as one of the boys collapses a security guard prods him to check if he is still alive. After confirming his death, he checks the body and finds a tin candy container and throws it into the field outside the train station. Little did I know, this container contains a lot of symbolic importance throughout the film.

Warning: There will be unmarked spoilers ahead.
Seita is one of the main protagonists in the film along with his younger sister Setsuko. He is charged with taking care of his sister while their mother retreats to a nearby bomb shelter. Later when they are reunited with their mother they discover that she has been severely burned and does not survive the night. I found it odd that their mother did not take Setsuko with her to the shelter but if she did we would not have this movie.

After her death, Seita and Setsuko start to live with their "aunt". I can't help but wonder if this aunt was actually a relative as she treated the two children more like a dead friend's orphans rather than family. This living situation does not last long as their aunt is cruel to them, treating Seita a lazy burden and Setsuko as an annoying pest. She is also a mother to two older children so I would think she would understand that with the loss of their mother and a father fighting in the war that Seita does not have the will to look for work and has to take care of his sister alone.

After leaving their aunt's place the two siblings start to live outside in a bomb shelter by a lake. Seita is forced to forage and scrape by for food before finally resorting to stealing. His efforts are in vain as his sister soon starts to suffer from malnutrition and is becoming less and less active. Seita's growing desperation can be felt as the movie progresses as he begs, steals and loots during air raids. By the end he is forced to withdraw what little money is left in their mother's bank account but as soon he purchases proper food to feed his sister she passes away. This desperate act followed by complete hopelessness is further emphasized when the last meal he retrieved for his young sister is seen rotting and eaten by insects.

Both Seita and Setsuko are very strong characters and their voice actors did a fantastic job bringing out the emotions in each scene they are together. Seita is a capable yet stubborn boy whose father is currently fighting in the war. He appears to have militaristic ambitions passed down by his father along with a "take no shit from others" attitude. This attitude drives him to leave the safety of their aunt's house and fend for themselves. Setsuko is a very young girl around the age of seven or eight. She is playful, cheerful and often does not understand the implications of the destruction and carnage around her.

During these desperate times, the two find have a hard time finding any joy in life. What little happiness they can conjure derives from a single candy container they have kept before their mother passed away. They share this candy together and ration it for as long as they can. When it is finally empty, Seita fills it with water and gives it to his sister to drink the last sweet taste left behind inside. Afterwards it is used to store the important things to them such as the last memento from their mother, a ring. Seeing how this container is such an important part of the siblings lives and how it is thrown at the very beginning of the movie was very powerful.

Spoiler end.

I believe this movie did a fantastic job to demonstrate the hopelessness and despair felt by those living through the final months of the war. There is very little music in the film and when there is it is usually during happy moments. I thought it was an interesting contrast to use silence during the intense emotional scenes when compared to Hollywood's over the top tracks. It worked well and I felt you could feel the voice actors emotions come out a lot more with the lack of background music.

The animation was great and did a terrific job displaying the horrors of war without ever becoming overly graphic. The movies themes are very depressing but the visuals never stuck me as trying to push the depressing tone. There was always a sense of hope from a visual perspective with the use of many bright colours, from the catching of fireflies to the colours of food.

Overall I give this movie an 8. It is not a film you watch for fun but it is an experience that will take you on an emotional ride.

wonzo

Banned
tokyo 9/11 8

terrorintokyo8.jpg

goddamn

tbh the only thing i'd change in this series (other than upping lisa's iq a bit) is giving more time to shibazaki. dude fukken OWNS

Shard

XBLAnnoyance
Oh, there is much more I would change, like making 9 and 12 actually relatable through good characterization instead of the vague hinting we have been getting all series.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom