• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Summer 2014 Anime |OT3| where everyone watches doremi for hito

Status
Not open for further replies.

Syrinx

AHAHHAHAHHAAHHAHAHAH
AH
HAHAHHAHAHHAHAHAHHAHAHAHAHA

AHAHHAHAHHAHAHAHHAHAHAHHAHAHHAHAH

/dead

EDIT: just for information's sake, I like Arjuna, I just think that's one of the most absurd if you likes i've seen recently.

cpkQZxD.png

Dresden

Will give these a try next season:

Mushishi
Fate/SN UBW
Gundam Build Fighters TRY
G-reco
Parasyte
Denkigai no Honya-san
Chaika: AVENGING BATTLE
Log Horizon 2
Seven Deadly Sins
World Trigger
Amagi Brilliant Park

Articalys

OLqQ6TA.jpg

Wrongs have been righted. Injustice has been justiced. Vengeance has been revenged.

cajun my man, how do you feel about eyepatches?
Even if she gets by Ayase in the first round of the finals, she's still going to get curbstomped by Mikoto in the next.
It'll be Mikoto, Kanade, or Asuna who win the whole thing in the end, probably.

Glancing over at the shambling corpse of the original J-Saimoe, it looks like the expected Madoka/Saki domination through the first round, with a bit of Index here and there, and Love Live just behind them.

Branduil

Mushishi
Fate/SN UBW
G-reco
Parasyte
Denkigai no Honya-san
Log Horizon 2
Seven Deadly Sins
World Trigger
Amagi Brilliant Park

smh at ignoring Mizushima's newest cute girls doing exciting things anime.

Fate/Zero - 19

So like, what DID this have to do with Kiritsugu joining the Holy Grail war?

Like, don't get me wrong. These two episodes were not at all bad by any means. It served as a good insight into Kiritsugu's backstory. They showed that this is a man who is willing to sacrifice anything and anyone dear to him for the greater good. His father doing very dangerous research? Shot. Natalia, if she landed the plane she was on would end up unintentionally unleashing a horde of zombies? Shot down.

It also explains why he's so cold to his Holy Grail war rivals (e.g., him killing Lancer and his Master, plus his Master's wife), seeing as those people weren't exactly close to him to begin with and also why he's doing such dirty, dishonourable tactics.

But my main gripe with these two episodes is that, in the other Urobuchi show that I watched, the character backstory episode there explained pretty much everything on why she acted the way she did throughout the show and answered pretty much every question the viewers had about her and what was going on in the series. Only leaving aside one question which was answered in the very next episode.

These two episodes raised more questions than they did answers for me. What do zombies have to do with the Holy Grail war? Is there an epidemic of them running around? Is someone continuing his father's terrible research somewhere else? Was this a thing brought up in the first episode that I missed? Like I said before, if I had to guess, I'm assuming he's planning on making a wish on the Grail for them all to go away as to stop the spreading of it or something if one of those questions are true. Which would make perfect sense seeing that he kept saying that this is to save the world and all, but yeah the Holy Grail war isn't even mentioned even once in this two-parter. I dunno. I guess it just feels a bit off to have all this magical fantasy violence, war talk, stuff about Masters and servants, etc. in this show only to randomly introduce zombies somewhere down the line. It just feels weird.

Narag

Fate Zero - 19

Like, don't get me wrong. These two episodes were not at all bad by any means. It served as a good insight into Kiritsugu's backstory. They showed that this is a man who is willing to sacrifice anything and anyone dear to him for the greater good. His father doing very dangerous research? Shot. Natalia, if she landed the plane she was on would end up unintentionally unleashing a horde of zombies? Shot down.

It also explains why he's so cold to his Holy Grail war rivals (e.g., him killing Lancer and his Master, plus his Master's wife), seeing as those people weren't exactly close to him to begin with and also why he's doing such dirty, dishonourable tactics.

But my main gripe with these two episodes is that, in the other Urobuchi show that I watched, the character backstory episode there explained pretty much everything on why she acted the way she did and answered pretty much every question the viewers had about her and what was going on in the series. Only leaving aside one question which was answered in the very next episode.

These two episodes raised more questions than they did answers for me. What do zombies have to do with the Holy Grail war? Is there an epidemic of them running around? Is someone continuing his father's research somewhere else? Was this a thing brought up in the first episode that I missed? Like I said before, if I had to guess, I'm assuming he's planning on making a wish for them all to go away as to stop the spreading of it or something if one of those questions are true. Which would make perfect sense seeing that he keeps saying that this is to save the world, but yeah the Holy Grail war isn't even mentioned once in this two-parter. I dunno. I guess it just feels a bit off to have all this magical fantasy violence, war talk, stuff about Masters and servants, etc. in this show only to randomly introduce zombies somewhere down the line. It just feels weird.

• IIRC the zombie stuff ties into other expanded parts of Type-MOON stuff.
  • These two episodes are all about establishing his motivation for joining the war. Just because it isn't clear now doesn't mean they're without value.

duckroll

Fate/Zero - 19

I think you're kinda missing the forest for the trees here. The content of the two flashback episodes are stand alone stories which don't really relate to the larger plot, but the motivations and character development is what is important here. They're extremely relevant to the narrative frame of the entire series - which is ultimately a character study of Kiritsugu as a person. Kiritsugu's personal reason for joining the Holy Grail War in particular is something which will be explored when the show draws to a close. Showing who he is and how he came to become that person is required before they get to that. :)

Ryuuroden

Psycho-Pass 13

Apparently sketch artists don't exist in this particular dystopia.

Art is banned as people who can actually draw are latent criminals, just like musicians are like banned for the most part and you can't find books on history like what the world was like before sibyl. There are still artists but you are not going to find them working for the govt. heh.

Art is banned as people who can actually draw are latent criminals, just like musicians are like banned for the most part and you can't find books on history like what the world was like before sibyl. There are still artists but you are not going to find them working for the govt. heh.

all art? i know they still let some music through if it was approved, and i can't really imagine why a guy who draws the faces described to him would be banned. and even then, the absence of another method is weird. it just seems silly that Akane has to go through this traumatizing procedure to basically put a face on a poster.

Syrinx

Servant x Service 1

Don't say revenge, don't say revenge.

"Uh, revenge."

Not bad, but I'm not sure how much I'll enjoy civil servants be belittled by irate citizens. Will need a few more episodes to determine that.

Dead

well not really...yet
So let's talk about TiR. Watanabe needs to get a writer, preferably a good one. There are many ideas in here and none of them mesh to create a story with a singular tone. The idea of the Athena project being a reflection of a group of old mens' ideas about what Japan should be is fine. I think the Shibazaki component of the story is actually fairly decent and the way that Shibazaki not only having a personal stake in the matter but a different opinion, despite seeing first hand the effects from WW2, compared to some of the antagonists, is a good start.

That's the extent of the good writing in the show. The rest is so trope-laden that even for a genre piece, this falls really short.
As far as writing team, Watanabe + Keiko Nobumoto, and Dai Sato = god tier.

I looked at the credits for TiR, and saw a bunch of nobodies on script duties

• IIRC the zombie stuff ties into other expanded parts of Type-MOON stuff.
  • These two episodes are all about establishing his motivation for joining the war. Just because it isn't clear now doesn't mean they're without value.

1. I guess I'll have to watch the new Fate/Stay Night then.
2. I do think this episode had great value. I'm just slightly dissapointed the HG war wasn't even mentioned in this two-parter. Like, the mages were, yes, but like I said, it just felt a bit off.

I think you're kinda missing the forest for the trees here. The content of the two flashback episodes are stand alone stories which don't really relate to the larger plot, but the motivations and character development is what is important here. They're extremely relevant to the narrative frame of the entire series - which is ultimately a character study of Kiritsugu as a person. Kiritsugu's personal reason for joining the Holy Grail War in particular is something which will be explored when the show draws to a close. Showing who he is and how he came to become that person is required before they get to that. :)

That does seem like what Urobuchi was going for here. I guess, unlike that OTHER show he wrote, which had you surrounded with questions on just what was going on and how everything worked, this show already did most of that beforehand. With Urobuchi deciding to focus on making this episode all about what made Kiritsugu the man he is today in the war. Which I can totally accept and appreciate. It's just that everything other than Kiritsugu's character in this two-parter (
and by that I mean just one thing, the zombies
) felt loosely unconnected to what's happening in the main plot. Which if that was the point, that's perfectly fine. I mean, now I know what Kiritsugu is capable of doing. I just hope they go back to it and address it later so it ties into the main HG war story.

Mushishi
Fate/SN UBW
G-reco
Parasyte
Denkigai no Honya-san
Log Horizon 2
Seven Deadly Sins
World Trigger
Amagi Brilliant Park

I have zero expectations for World Trigger considering it's gonna be adapted by Toei.

Mouryou no Hako 5

Getting back into this show after it's been a while is a difficult undertaking, especially when the first half of the episode has seemingly very little to do directly with the main plot. There are just so many names and people to keep track of. I'm just going with the flow right now and hoping I understand enough to not leave me completely lost.

cajunator

Banned
Dog Days: 05

An enjoyable episode, with action, singing, and everything in-between. Really just a fun show to watch.

It certainly is!

Revolutionary Girl Utena 4

An interesting premise, but Nanami's antics kind of ruin the episode. I complained when Yamibo repeated jokes ad nauseam, and I didn't expect to echo those complaints with this series.

Nanami is love her or hate her. Very polarizing character.

This looks decently squee

I will take Revengeance over DMC1 any day. Any single day. Execution was flawed especially compared to how refined it was in DMC3.

MGR seems pretty fun. You can cut up practically everything.
Never liked DMC. It sucks.

Branduil

Sinon's Ass Online 11

icKGnTD5KyPST.jpg

More of SAO's deep metaphoricalisms

This episode's camera was far more shameless than usual, and that's saying something. Can't help but laugh at the zoom in on her butt being Kirito's light bulb moment.

And this is basically because a couple guys can't get over their chuunibyou, GGO has worse personal security than Apple, and the Japanese government can't be bothered to write an email in English to stop a serial killer.

Antiwhippy

the holder of the trombone
Black Butler - Book of Circus 9

Fertygo was right; I find the direction this series went with episode 7 and afterwards distasteful. The author went overboard on the cruelty and now I feel like my face has just been rubbed in feces. I don't mind dark but there's a point where it gets pushed into needless shock value. It's a shame, because it's still fairly well directed; the only problem is that the content is disgusting.

I did give you a warning!

FWIW I feel that arc has more impact if you see it as part of how ciel develops as a character.

Branduil

Mouryou no Hako 5

Getting back into this show after it's been a while is a difficult undertaking, especially when the first half of the episode has seemingly very little to do directly with the main plot. There are just so many names and people to keep track of. I'm just going with the flow right now and hoping I understand enough to not leave me completely lost.

The episode around this point are some of the toughest in the series to get through. Jexhius made a post with a good write-up on everything that happened up to about this point.

sonicmj1

Mouryou no Hako 5

This is the part where I link you to Jexhius's comprehensive episode 5 recap post that summarizes all the basic facts we know about all the different characters at the point where you are.

In the upcoming episodes, see if you can get a good idea of what kinds of beings mouryou are, and what they do.

I did give you a warning!

FWIW I feel that arc has more impact if you see it as part of how ciel develops as a character.

Maybe if I was more acquainted with Ciel's history I would find it more meaningful, but I can't see anything justifying the disgusting child abuse and absurdly twisted villains on display. I guess since you're supposed to be rooting for the demon, Black Butler feels the need to have villains who are worse than demons.

The episode around this point are some of the toughest in the series to get through. Jexhius made a post with a good write-up on everything that happened up to about this point.

This is the part where I link you to Jexhius's comprehensive episode 5 recap post that summarizes all the basic facts we know about all the different characters at the point where you are.

In the upcoming episodes, see if you can get a good idea of what kinds of beings mouryou are, and what they do.

Thanks; this should help a lot!

Midonin

PriPara 12

It is my twelfth week inside the independent city-state of idols. They have a ritual that they perform before the performance as a trio. It is unknown if similar groups like the Awa Awa Girls or Ryuuguu Komachi have similar rituals, but it clarifies that PriPara is probably a shortening of "Prism Paradise", the universe where the glasses-wearing ones observe all. In order to facilitate this, the inciter of rebellion called Lala must don the guise of the secret service and crash the ritual that is simply dripping with chuunibyou, though excusable because these characters actually are at that age. New Mew shall be a problem in the future, I foresee. Nobody likes Berry.

And while this is going on, Mirei is attempting to outmath the dream logic of the West twins. 1+1 does not equal 1, not even in this province. The main characters have at last formed a unit, and with it get a new song and a spray of roses. Not quite as Utena-like as Bell Rose's turn from Rainbow Live, but now the last two cours can get things moving. I like the song, too. The Bear has said they may even pass the Saints, which is odd since it completely ignores the lesser apostles who served under the Saints and rose them to glory, like the one who sounds exactly like Mirei.

PriPara time is my favorite night of the week, and it will provide a nice rock of stability into the new season. Plus tonight's outfits were pirate themed. On talk like a pirate day in this time zone. That's cool and also a total coincidence.

Psycho-Pass 14

Bystanders watching a woman get murdered with a hammer because they can't physically comprehend the idea of murder is dumb as hell. Worse, it doesn't even make sense within the show. Even in this very episode, we see people reacting when violence is happening in front of them. So not only am I being treated like a drooling moron once again, the show has actually cast aside its own continuity to do so.

That being said, it's a short scene in an otherwise decent episode. The murders are sufficiently disturbing and the "trick" is an interesting one. The final chase isn't much in the way of a climax, but it works.

Antiwhippy

Maybe if I was more acquainted with Ciel's history I would find it more meaningful, but I can't see anything justifying the disgusting child abuse and absurdly twisted villains on display. I guess since you're supposed to be rooting for the demon, Black Butler feels the need to have villains who are worse than demons.

Hmmm, I think they do touch on it this arc but
this whole thing is meant to be a reflection of how ciel became who he is.

It is probably the series darkest and most cynical arc, being a generally dark and cynical series in the first place.

DEATH™

Servant x Service 1

Don't say revenge, don't say revenge.

"Uh, revenge."

Not bad, but I'm not sure how much I'll enjoy civil servants be belittled by irate citizens. Will need a few more episodes to determine that.

I just finished the series and let me tell you, its gonna be real funny later on... pretty good series imo

Hmmm, I think they do touch on it this arc but
this whole thing is meant to be a reflection of how ciel became who he is.

With the world as messed up as it is, it's no wonder Ciel ends up a cold, cynical little bastard.

It is probably the series darkest and most cynical arc, being a generally dark and cynical series in the first place.

Yeah, I just have a problem with cynicism for the sake of cynicism.

Antiwhippy

Well to be fair the premise of it is ciel exploring and eradicating the darkest underground of victoria england. I can see how this would shock you if you just jump into this arc but it's kind of a gradual buildup from the beginning.

It's does get super fucking goofy more often than not though. Like ridiculously goofy.

cajunator

Banned
So AnimeGAF I have a question for you. Of the shows/movies I plan to watch as shown here, Where should I start?

NHK, Escaflowne, Perfect Blue
buuuut add Millennium Actress to your list!

Klein's Journey plz

Oh my god yes. I would watch the hell out of that!

I cannot even fathom how any algorithm in existence would match these two shows together..

OLqQ6TA.jpg

Wrongs have been righted. Injustice has been justiced. Vengeance has been revenged.

cajun my man, how do you feel about eyepatches?

*o* *bouncesssssssss

Hello AnimeGAF!

My first post in an AnimeGAF thread.

I hope you don't mind me joining this thread once the new season starts!

Hello and welcome!!!

Please make yourself at home and try not to get into any watch bets with strangers hehee

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom