• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Summer 2014 Anime |OT3| where everyone watches doremi for hito

Status
Not open for further replies.
So AnimeGAF I have a question for you. Of the shows/movies I plan to watch as shown here, Where should I start?

Fate Zero. It's great!

Fate/Zero - 14-15

Caster and Ryuunosuke are down, now the real Grail War begins (and hopefully all that child murdering ends now).

I gotta say, that was a damn impressive climax right there, right with everybody showing up.
Saber gets the use of her left arm back and gets the full Excalibur sword. Berserker controls a freaking JET FIGHTER to fight. Rider sends Caster's mecha (Yeah yeah, I know it looks nothing like that but he's riding inside of it and presumably controlling it so I might as well refer to it as one) to his own alternate dimension to stall for time, etc. And Kariya fails miserably to end up being healed by Kirei.

But with that being said, where's Kiritsugu during all this?!?

EDIT: Stupid me and my memory, he was the one who
killed Ryuunosuke >_<.

Nafe

I would buy more animu fighters if I had an arcade-style stick to actually use as a controller, but they all cost too much for a casual player. Yes I know Louffy won Evo with a basic PS1 gamepad but I don't have anywhere near that level of dexterity.

I guess I'm kind of the opposite in that I prefer something like a controller to a stick. I could perform all the different special moves and combos in a fighter but if I tried playing an arcade cabinet I would have problems just trying to do a fireball or dragon punch.

It almost seems like a small miracle now that I was able to beat Killer Instinct arcade without any special moves, combos or combo breakers and just basic punches and kicks. Especially with the way the boss,Eyedol, can defeat you in one or two hits.

---

Personally I'm also preferring TGS to E3 with my interests being more towards JRPG's and action adventure games as compared to things like FPS and sports games.

striferser

Huge Nickleback Fan
I guess I'm kind of the opposite in that I prefer something like a controller to a stick. I could perform all the different special moves and combos in a fighter but if I tried playing an arcade cabinet I would have problems just trying to do a fireball or dragon punch.

It almost seems like a small miracle now that I was able to beat Killer Instinct arcade without any special moves, combos or combo breakers and just basic punches and kicks. Especially with the way the boss,Eyedol, can defeat you in one or two hits.

---

Personally I'm also preferring TGS to E3 with my interests being more towards JRPG's and action adventure games as compared to things like FPS and sports games.

Me too. I suck at using arcade stick. I'd perefer using Dual shock 2 or PS1 stick for fighting game. Dual SHock 3 L2 and R2 is meh.

Jarmel

Banned
Terror in Resonance-10
whydouble.gif

whydouble.gif

whydouble.gif

Fate/Zero - 16

THE UROBUCTCHER'S FIRST VICTIM. (Well technically those were Caster and Ryuunosuke, but they were villains, so they don't count).

But still, Lancer...;_;

Like, they go from him and Sabre having the kind of manly, honorable fight you'd see in G Gundam
only for Kiritsugu to go and do...that. How the hell is this guy gonna save the world with the Grail? That was freaking merciless. Seeing Lancer curse them with his dying breath was actually kind of hard to watch, he looked so monstrous there.

Ghost in the Shell: SAC Ep. 15

On paper this isn't a great episode, particularly the writing, but I find the Tachikomas charming enough to make it entertaining.

Haly

One day I realized that sadness is just another word for not enough coffee.
Ghost in the Shell: SAC Ep. 15

On paper this isn't a great episode, particularly the writing, but I find the Tachikomas charming enough to make it entertaining.

They are the best.

Jarmel

Banned
So let's talk about TiR. Watanabe needs to get a writer, preferably a good one. There are many ideas in here and none of them mesh to create a story with a singular tone. The idea of the Athena project being a reflection of a group of old mens' ideas about what Japan should be is fine. I think the Shibazaki component of the story is actually fairly decent and the way that Shibazaki not only having a personal stake in the matter but a different opinion, despite seeing first hand the effects from WW2, compared to some of the antagonists, is a good start.

That's the extent of the good writing in the show. The rest is so trope-laden that even for a genre piece, this falls really short.

Let's start with Five. Five is a shitty character that almost single-handedly ruined the show. Watanabe described the series like 24 but there are two problems with that. Even in 24 there are limits to what people in certain organizations can do, while Five seemingly just overrode everybody. There is some sense of the organizations actually existing even if Jack broke a number of rules. Why are people following her? There is no clear reason why especially when it became clear episodes ago that she was flat out insane. The second is that the better seasons of 24 tried to characterize the villains in some interesting way. Season 4 in particular stands out with how the show depicted the Muslim family. With
the death of Five, she goes out in the lamest way possible. She turns out she loved him, or something I don't fucking know, and wanted to beat him to show her superiority I guess. She then decided to end her life on her own terms. Wow what a deep story. What a deep goddamn fucking story.
This is the shittiest characterization I have seen for a villain in awhile. What's even worse is that Five's antics took time away from actually developing characters who needed screentime.

This brings us to Lisa. Lisa's role was to be an audience insert which is fine in concept, the problem is the execution is beyond shitty. We don't see any progress or development of Lisa as a character and Lisa's earlier issues are seemingly thrown on the backburner. I'm just imagining the mother in the apartment still trying to call Lisa's cellphone. She plays the damsel in distress multiple times and doesn't really show any initiative on her own part. Instead she exists either for a dramatic moment or in the last episode to drive the plot forward. The show would have been infinitely better if both Five and her would completely cut out of the show. Five's existence is detrimental while Lisa's existence is just such a non-factor that it's bloat.

The show wants to be a thriller but it's so illogical that the audience is left questioning character actions instead of being involved in the moment. I want to say it all was well directed but I can't. The final set of scenes in episode 10 are really piss-poor on a directorial level.

So Five is in charge of the field ops and instead of sending a team to hijack the car(like she did just a few seconds before), she does so in person. What? If she's in charge of operations, then why is she going in person?
Why does Twelve crash his bike? The scene before when he drops his grenade, his bike is in a normal stable position. The cut to the next bit has his bike sliding? Don't tell me the explosion as the car that the grenade was literally dropped on, is fine. The other question is how close were Five and Twelve to each other as the car goes sliding for a bit. The distance between the two in the chase was fairly close.

Why did the US officer finally decide this was to time to detain her or relieve her of command? Why did he not do this right as she came out of the hospital or when she tried to fucking blow up an airport? Why the fuck did you decide it at that particular moment?

How about this bit:
http://i.minus.com/ibv3DXp0SlFVR8.jpg

http://i.minus.com/ibr7j7G3Tz0q4l.jpg

http://i.minus.com/i71w9J2EuWe5c.jpg
He gets shot, and is hunched over in pain but the next cut has him slightly bent over. His back should be much more arched.

Where did Five go in this scene?
I understand her disappearing into the fire for dramatic effect. The problem is that someone fucked up either editing or animating the scene as she just disappears. She doesn't disappear into the fireball but just flat out disappears.

the bigger the Log Horizon army the better. It probably won't win AOTY but I expect it to be ranked up decently high. Maybe top 20.

I'll defis be posting in the OT. I mean we have 1 week and 1 day left of Space Dandy OT baby.

SAO II 11

I want to say Kawahara only now focusing on the effects of Kirito killing people back in SAO shows he acknowledges there was important character development (albeit standard development) that he left out in the first arc because he was an even worse writer back then.

The revelation is also not awful even if it's not super interesting. It still kind of feels like an on-the-whim twist though.

;_; Dandy is the most fun I've had watching a show in a long time. Why can't it just run forever?

NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO

I hear you, baby

The second half has been nothing short of amazing with really only one bad episode so far.

Finish this sentence:

If Syrinx liked Working!!, he may like _____

Servant x Service is the obvious response. Same author/manga artist I believe, and similar type of slice of life humor entirely based around a work place and its inhabitants.

Also it has LOOOOOSHHHHHHHHHHEEEEEEEEEEE

Principate

Saint Titanfall
Fate/Zero - 16

THE UROBUCTCHER'S FIRST VICTIM. (Well technically those were Caster and Ryuunosuke, but they were villains, so they don't count).

But still, Lancer...;_;

Like, they go from him and Sabre having the kind of manly, honorable fight you'd see in G Gundam
only for Kiritsugu to go and do...that. How the hell is this guy gonna save the world with the Grail? That was freaking merciless. Seeing Lancer curse them with his dying breath was actually kind of hard to watch, he looked so monstrous there.

Lancer's death still makes me laugh especially how it ironically links into FSN despite being written afterwards
Cu chulain FSN lancer also to a command seal forcing him to kill himself but straight after he stabs the person who ordered it and kills them (Battle continuation: rank A), and says too bad for you I wouldn't be much of hero if I just died like that.

One of the most unintentional but funny burns I've seen.

KiN0

I don't post here usually but it looks like the author of kino's journey will be writing a spin off of SAO. It will be supervised by kawahara himself and it apparently will have no involvement from Kirito.

Narag

I don't post here usually but it looks like the author of kino's journey will be writing a spin off of SAO. It will be supervised by kawahara himself and it apparently will have no involvement from Kirito.

Klein's Journey plz

Black Butler - Book of Circus 9

Fertygo was right; I find the direction this series went with episode 7 and afterwards distasteful. The author went overboard on the cruelty and now I feel like my face has just been rubbed in feces. I don't mind dark but there's a point where it gets pushed into needless shock value. It's a shame, because it's still fairly well directed; the only problem is that the content is disgusting.

Midonin

Fairy Tail 200

Very serene episode, and I appreciate the closure. Having more episodes like this for at least a little bit won't be so bad.

In other news, I just found out that Marimite is getting a complete Blu-Ray release. I can get behind this.

Fate/Zero - 18

So now we get to see Kiritsugu's past.

Uh, so Kiritsugu's dad is pretty much Albert Wesker, being that he was essentially researching magic to create super zombies, or vampires, or whatever. And this is coming from someone who doesn't even play Resident Evil!

This of course, causes Kiritsugu to get pissed off seeing as his entire home burned down and everyone became zombies because of the research and he proceeds to kill his father.

So how does this have anything to do with the Holy Grail war? Is he trying to make a wish to make all the zombies go away or something? I guess I'll find out in episode 19, seeing as this is a two-parter apparently.

Branduil

Something that finally makes watching the rest of the anime for context worth it?

No.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom