• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Summer 2014 Anime |OT3| where everyone watches doremi for hito

Status
Not open for further replies.

Quasar

Railwars 11 - A standalone epilogue episode. I suppose that was to be expected.

P4G 11 - What a cast iron stomach Yu has.

Branduil

Chaika the Coffin Princess 12

iiuxmmXasPKLU.jpg

When two flying fortresses love each other very much...

Tooru killing that
kid
was pretty sweet. So was Akari "Maxwell" using her silver hammer on that lame-o
wizard
. Fredrica was... LOL. Something tells me that
Gillet
isn't dead.

It was an okay show. The action was well-storyboarded but the fact that this was BONES C-team showed up in the fairly low budget and lack of sakuga. I am a bit disappointed that the best fight in the series happened in the second episode. Also, it happened a lot but did they ever explain what "iron blood transformation" actually does? The story is somewhat weird in that the main characters don't really have any motivation besides basic instincts, but it's executed competently I suppose. It's a show you watch and think "not bad," but nothing more superlative than that. Hopefully the second cour will have some better fights where something meaningful happens.

Jex

Mouryou no Hako 5

Getting back into this show after it's been a while is a difficult undertaking, especially when the first half of the episode has seemingly very little to do directly with the main plot. There are just so many names and people to keep track of. I'm just going with the flow right now and hoping I understand enough to not leave me completely lost.

That's honestly one of the roughest shows ever to put down and then attempt to pick up sometime later. It can be hard enough to keep track of events when watching it in a marathon setting, let alone with any kind of gap between episodes.

cajunator

Banned

Tooru killing that
kid
wizard
Gillet
isn't dead.

It was an okay show. The action was well-storyboarded but the fact that this was BONES C-team showed up in the fairly low budget and lack of sakuga. I am a bit disappointed that the best fight in the series happened in the second episode. Also, it happened a lot but did they ever explain what "iron blood transformation" actually does? The story is somewhat weird in that the main characters don't really have any motivation besides basic instincts, but it's executed competently I suppose. It's a show you watch and think "not bad," but nothing more superlative than that. Hopefully the second cour will have some better fights where something meaningful happens.

His transformation reminded me of Takeru's transformation in Kono Minikuku Mo Utsukushii Sekai.unfortunately that show sucked balls and not even the Mahoromatic girl lookalikes could save it. But anyway, Chaika is a much better show than that was and really doesnt deserve to be compared to such garbage. That said, its funny that Bones' C staff did a more interesting show than their A tier staff.

Tooru killing that
kid
wizard
Gillet
isn't dead.

Yeah it's the best non Space Dandy Bones show that aired last season. But still describing it as "an ok show" is entirely accurate. It's not memorable and the design of some characters bother me a bit too much. Like that unnecessary cat boy. He feels so uninspired.

Syrinx

Servant x Service 2

Holy fuck. Toko leads the most miserable existence I think I've ever seen. Her hobby is memorizing health welfare law and going and harassing bureaucrats for not being as up to snuff as her. All for onii-chan. Wow. This girl needa to learn how to ski or something.

Branduil

Record of Lodoss War 8

Well, that was almost certainly the strongest storyboarding and direction the series has had so far, as well as some of the best animation, and with a satisfying story at its center. The storyboarding, direction, and animation direction were all done by Hirotsugu Kawasaki, the director of Spriggan and an accomplished animator in his own right(he also did Key Animation for a number of episode in Lodoss, though apparently not for this one).

The climactic scene of the episode had some really great effects animation, I'd love to know who did it:
http://sakuga.yshi.org/data/37ff1096f9cb6e75b1f0f7c63ca8d744.webm
http://sakuga.yshi.org/data/7085f32ec4044861c51f6966606bcd75.webm

All in all the best episode of Lodoss up to this point.

cajunator

Banned
Record of Lodoss War 8

Well, that was almost certainly the strongest storyboarding and direction the series has had so far, as well as some of the best animation, and with a satisfying story at its center. The storyboarding, direction, and animation direction were all done by Hirotsugu Kawasaki, the director of Spriggan and an accomplished animator in his own right(he also did Key Animation for a number of episode in Lodoss, though apparently not for this one).

The climactic scene of the episode had some really great effects animation, I'd love to know who did it:
http://sakuga.yshi.org/data/37ff1096f9cb6e75b1f0f7c63ca8d744.webm
http://sakuga.yshi.org/data/7085f32ec4044861c51f6966606bcd75.webm

All in all the best episode of Lodoss up to this point.

I love the artwork in Lodoss.

fertygo

Black Butler - Book of Circus 9

Fertygo was right; I find the direction this series went with episode 7 and afterwards distasteful. The author went overboard on the cruelty and now I feel like my face has just been rubbed in feces. I don't mind dark but there's a point where it gets pushed into needless shock value. It's a shame, because it's still fairly well directed; the only problem is that the content is disgusting.

I warn you :( please still consider to get back to S1

That does seem like what Urobuchi was going for here. I guess, unlike that OTHER show he wrote, which had you surrounded with questions on just what was going on and how everything worked, this show already did most of that beforehand. With Urobuchi deciding to focus on making this episode all about what made Kiritsugu the man he is today in the war. Which I can totally accept and appreciate. It's just that everything other than Kiritsugu's character in this two-parter (
and by that I mean just one thing, the zombies
) felt loosely unconnected to what's happening in the main plot. Which if that was the point, that's perfectly fine. I mean, now I know what Kiritsugu is capable of doing. I just hope they go back to it and address it later so it ties into the main HG war story.
Sadly you not gonna get that, that part only adapted into drama CD that bundled \with the blu-ray and clipshow in ED song 2.. the story where Kiritsugu hired by Ilyasveil family to fight in HGW.

duckroll

That does seem like what Urobuchi was going for here. I guess, unlike that OTHER show he wrote, which had you surrounded with questions on just what was going on and how everything worked, this show already did most of that beforehand. With Urobuchi deciding to focus on making this episode all about what made Kiritsugu the man he is today in the war. Which I can totally accept and appreciate. It's just that everything other than Kiritsugu's character in this two-parter (
and by that I mean just one thing, the zombies
) felt loosely unconnected to what's happening in the main plot. Which if that was the point, that's perfectly fine. I mean, now I know what Kiritsugu is capable of doing. I just hope they go back to it and address it later so it ties into the main HG war story.

Urobuchi this, Urobuchi that. Urobuchi didn't even write this series. He wrote the novels the series is based on. Urobuchi didn't "decide" on anything with regards of how the episodes were split or formatted. That was all done by the director. The scripts were written by the Ufotable writing team. Wish people would give credit to the right people who actually make stuff, rather than just latching on to the names they know. :(

cajunator

Banned
Onii-sama is the most entertaining Gary Stu ever. Like I don't think he can be beaten. He could take on God himself and not break a sweat.

Im not sure why Onii-sama in Mahouka is so much less annoying than Kirito but he is way more tolerable. Maybe he is in a better written show or maybe I detest the main characters less. Im not sure.He is every bit as OP as Kirito but without the dumbfuckery.

Quasar

Im not sure why Onii-sama in Mahouka is so much less annoying than Kirito but he is way more tolerable. Maybe he is in a better written show or maybe I detest the main characters less. Im not sure.He is every bit as OP as Kirito but without the dumbfuckery.

More OP IMO.

dimb

Bjergsen is the greatest midlane in the world
sankarea had some nice episodes outside of the first three
I wouldn't know. It's not like the production on Log Horizon was great, so I don't know why anyone would be upset about it changing hands though.

rrvv

Deen is not great for sure. but is not as bad as hater say it. Hater mostly come from VN fan since they are

1) whiniest and loudest fan compare to other Japanese media
(per capita)
2) VN generally hard to make a proper adaption. I think only Stein;Gate can be consider as "good VN adaption" from last.....10-20 years I guess.

Hence I am interesting to see how Ufotable deal with F/SN as their first VN work. it will be better compare to Deen ofc. but whether there is an outcry is remind to be seen.

I enjoy many Deen work. mainly comedy stuff.

anyway back to Log Horizon. seem only the Studio & animator is change but the the main staff still same. so we should not have worry too much in first place.

only thing that disappointing me is that we dont get new OP. Database is good but I kinda want new song

Urobuchi this, Urobuchi that. Urobuchi didn't even write this series. He wrote the novels the series is based on. Urobuchi didn't "decide" on anything with regards of how the episodes were split or formatted. That was all done by the director. The scripts were written by the Ufotable writing team. Wish people would give credit to the right people who actually make stuff, rather than just latching on to the names they know. :(

I checked the Wikipedia article, and it kind of amazes me on how Urobuchi actually kind of had nothing to do with the anime itself. I mean, the light novel and manga were his creation. Shouldn't he have been a supervisor or something? But in any case, you're right, this adaptation is being done by the Ufotable team.

But with regards to what you said about me constantly giving credit to Urobuchi, it's still a fact that he wrote the light novel and manga. I haven't read the source material, so I can't be sure exactly how faithful this adaptation is to it, but I'm genuinely enjoying it so far. My only gripe with it, as I said before, was a tiny thing in these last two-episodes. It's a tiny nitpick compared to how amazing everything else the Ufotable team did. Ufotable may have been the ones to animate and write them for the show, but the role of the characters, their backstories, and how they end up in the story we're still fundamentally written by Urobuchi first in the light novel and manga. So I think me giving a lot of credit to him is all right. Not that I'll ignore how well Ufotable did with this adaptation though! A lot of the present quality with regards to the characters just wouldn't exist without Urobuchi.

That and I'm just a big fan of his works. When Aldonoah Zero finishes, and I see everyone's final impressions, I'll make sure to give that a shot too.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom