• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Summer 2014 Anime |OT3| where everyone watches doremi for hito

Status
Not open for further replies.

Articalys

Seriously, was anybody actually expecting anything else for the episode length? This is hardly a surprise; it's been the standard for all the weekend afternoon NHK-E shows since Bakuman, as far as I can remember.

Thank you no terror - 10

Oh, seems like a well deserved Shibazaki focused episode, maybe we'll see him interrogate Nine? Nope. Only Five. Stop plotblocking a good character you crazy sack of wine

The last 4 minutes:
fhkvGGc.gif

Link Man

Banned
Revolutionary Girl Utena 4

An interesting premise, but Nanami's antics kind of ruin the episode. I complained when Yamibo repeated jokes ad nauseam, and I didn't expect to echo those complaints with this series.

Jex

An interesting premise, but Nanami's antics kind of ruin the episode. I complained when Yamibo repeated jokes ad nauseam, and I didn't expect to echo those complaints with this series.

ur worse than hitler

cajunator

Banned
Yeah I still need to get to that. Especially since Hito spoke so highly of it.

Speaking of which, I just got an email notification that the Art FX Lum figure is in stock and about to ship!
Its been a long time since I got a Lum figure.

Record of Lodoss War 7

Manliest sword fight of all time.
As well as the one with the most blatantly rigged results.

Really good episode. When a show realizes what it is, but still takes itself seriously, you can even accept obvious tropes like the guy talking about his family before the big battle.

The glory days when animators used to have superpowers.

Hmm none of that seems up my alley but I guess I might try something new and give Barakamon a shot, cheers for the recommendations

Also might pickup a netflix series, what's the opinion on:

Psycho Pass (2012)
Welcome to the NHK
GITS: Arise

NHK should be your first watch. Its quite excellent.

D-Fragments 01

Ah, yes. The old problem that all clubs in anime has to deal with. Luckily there's a delinquent they can kidnap and force to make a club member! All while showing off their various attack types.

That members thing seems to be in every show about a club. I find it amusing that years after K-on shows like this are still being made.
Shows what a great idea K-on was to begin with.

I AM SO HYPE

New PV for Cross Ange, the upcoming Sunrise show with CG mecha, dragons, and girls in really stupid pilot suits.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_aQF5kye0kg

At least the Nana Mizuki OP sounds nice.

This looks vaguely interesting. Lots of waifus. Lots of male gaze too I see.

Fate/Zero - 6-7

I love how since Caster and his JYB-voiced Master (yes I'm watching the dub) are essentially breaking all the rules by doing whatever the hell they want
(and by that I mean kidnapping and murdering innocent children, the assholes)
. The overseer essentially has to get the other Servants and Masters to team up and get rid of them.

Makes for a nice unexpected turn, seeing how these people are supposed to be fighting against each-other and not working together. Although only Saber and Lancer have shown up, I expect Rider and Archer to join the fray fairly soon and kick some ass.

The manga goes was overboard with the child torture stuff. Pretty horrible. At least they didnt adapt it quite faithfully. It would have been too disgusting to air.

PK Gaming

Log Horizon S1 - END

I finished this a while back, but I never got to write my review on it. After giving it some thought, I don't think there's any point to writing a big review. Reading Jexhius or Admiral Woofting's respective reviews will give you a much greater sense of what it's about. All in all, Log Horizon is fantastic show marred by a few flaws (Akatsuki is annoying). I highly recommend you watch this if you're even remotely interested in fantasy.

Next up: I'm gonna tackle to Bakemonogatari series

peakish

Got a sudden urge to rewatch Millennium Actress which I couldn't resist. So here I am, in shambles with mascara running down my cheeks.

There's some iffy animation in there, sure, and for whatever reason I feel like it's unpolished. I know that Satoshi Kon was talking about bridging a gap between the japanese youth and elders with this movie, and while I think it definitely succeeds in that aspect many of the scenes where the TV crew are intermixed with Chiyoko's life or movies feel out of place with the narrative. In one sense it strengthens our connection to them, and their connection to the events of Chiyoko, but it feels undercooked. But even with that pulling me out of some scenes some six or seven years after watching it previously, the film overcomes and with it's final scenes launches into an incredibly touching take on the meaning of life itself. What an amazing script that Kon and Murai penned for this to make that possible. An unconventional love story at it's best, with a bittersweet ending that truly inspires me to live a better life.

The journey sometimes is more important than the end, as this film shows. It's absolutely amazing, warts and all, and that said, Satoshi Kon was steadily improving his craft before being struck with that terrifying cancer. Four years on and that's still the celebrity death which has hit the hardest on me. What an amazing man.

So, I was afraid that Millennium Actress wouldn't faze me at this point in life but that worry proved me wrong. Still as amazing as the week when I first watched it and couldn't understand what it made me feel. Couldn't be happier at this moment.

The manga goes was overboard with the child torture stuff. Pretty horrible. At least they didnt adapt it quite faithfully. It would have been too disgusting to air.

O_O. It was worse?!? I'm glad I'm not reading the manga then!

Fate/Zero - 8-10

A good set of episodes, with 10 I'd argue as the weakest of all of them, with it not having much plot progression.
Though at least that JYB-voiced murderer got owned by a little girl in that episode. That felt awesome to see.

Episodes 8 and 9 we're much better, in having conclusion to the Caster attack with the team-up of Lancer and Saber. Also that really well done scene with Rider and Waver in Caster's hideout.
I know I would have acted the same way Waver did if I walked into a room of mutilated child corpses. :'(
The scene with them riding out of the room with the place ablaze in flames was also a great touch.

Episode 11

THIS EPISODE, out of all of them deserves a special mention for being the episode that sells me on this show. Rider man. Freaking Rider. That entire speech on his on what it means to be a king. I especially loved the part where
he pointed out Saber's flaw in her plan to change the past, going as so far to say that while she may have saved lives, she did not lead them like a real king should have.

Then that amazing action scene.
That massive army of his
. If this guy we're in a mecha show he'd have the best robot. He's just that manly. In that one, swift attack, Rider has solidified his placement as my favourite character in this show.

#TeamRider.

Psycho-Pass 12

A poorly placed flashback that doesn't really have much of an effect on anything and pointless reinforces the themes of last episode. You'd think it would be cool to see what Kogami was like before he was an Enforcer, but he's exactly the same. You'd think we would wanna see what Sasayama was like to get an understanding of why Kogami is broken up about his death, but he was a colossal shit lord. And who cares about Yayoi? Worse, flashbacks like these are supposed to flesh out characters, but this particular flashback just makes her seem like a completely different character. I'd be more bothered by how silly it is that her old girlfriend just happens to be the resistance leader if last episode wasn't still the lord high chancellor of contrived nonsense. I mean, at least we get further world-building to establish that Sibyl is awful?

Level E 5-9
This is a pretty good comedy. It gets the right level of annoyance to drive you to hate the prince and feel glad when his plans screw over himself but not completely hate him when he does something that isn't completely annoying. Also funny references. Interesting how no arcs have any relation besides the prince and his men. There are certainly adecent amount of lewd cutaways as well. This last arc was certainly an interesting approach to the gender and sexuality topic.

Shard

XBLAnnoyance

You will come to see Nanami in a differing light as you progress.

Log Horizon S1 - END

I finished this a while back, but I never got to write my review on it. After giving it some thought, I don't think there's any point to writing a big review. Reading Jexhius or Admiral Woofting's respective reviews will give you a much greater sense of what it's about. All in all, Log Horizon is fantastic show marred by a few flaws (Akatsuki is annoying). I highly recommend you watch this if you're even remotely interested in fantasy.

Next up: I'm gonna tackle to Bakemonogatari series
Another one joins the fold. Glad to hear you liked it!

Midonin

Cardcaptor Sakura 36

And beginning on season two. Mostly a reintroduction kind of episode, but there's already some changes going around the show. Like Kaho being more involved in the main characters' lives than before, and Syaoran being a little nicer to Sakura. Firey is ridiculously powerful. It simply being summoned is enough to melt an entire city's worth of snow. I also like how Snow looks like a yuki-onna. The new OP and ED are not as catchy as the first ones, but they're still very pleasant to listen to. Looking forward to continuing the back half of the show.

Ghost in the Shell: SAC Ep. 13

I like that the story is left vague in the end but I'm not sure if it was executed all that well.
The hostage having rapidly aged because reasons was rather cheep, even if those reasons involved a lot of rape. Then there is the daughter looking exactly the same as her when she was kidnapped.
The more think about it, it's a cheap story trying to shock and confuse the audience. Some decent shootout scenes, first episode with such a high bodycount.

Fate/Zero - 12

It's kind of weird how little I've seen of Kariya in this show so far. I mean, we only saw Berserker get some decent screen-time like, once. It's kind of surprising, seeing how prominent he was in the first episode with how much he was willing to suffer. I've got a pretty good feeling that,
if not Saber from Kiritsugu, Kirei plans on killing Kariya to get Berserker. If Archer's words were anything to go by in this episode.

Fate/Zero - 13

...We're Caster and JYB basically talking about how Gen Urobuchi feels about writing his stories in this episode? LOL.

Did I mention how much of a boss Rider is? Like, this guy steals every scene that he's in. That entire story of his detailing how foolish he was in not being able to realize his dream. He appreciates having Waver as his master because he sees himself in him. A man with big dreams that are far bigger than he is.

Also, WHAT A TEASE. Ending the first season like that! Wasn't this show two-cour when it aired? That had to suck, ending the episode right before
this battle starts where Lancer, Saber, and Rider all team up against Caster's final boss form.

I keep attempting to go back and watch the original Mobile Suit Gundam and I always end up dropping in after a couple of eps. I just can't seem to follow it, which is odd because I was able to track most of the other shows in the series (even the aliens bullshit in 00). It must either be the QUALITY animation that's distracting me from some of the finer details.

rrvv

I keep attempting to go back and watch the original Mobile Suit Gundam and I always end up dropping in after a couple of eps. I just can't seem to follow it, which is odd because I was able to track most of the other shows in the series (even the aliens bullshit in 00). It must either be the QUALITY animation that's distracting me from some of the finer details.

try watch the movies? is have slightly better animation and much shorter.

Ghost in the Shell: SAC Ep. 14

So, like, this is an episode about a Chinese assassin (that uses coins as ammo for her gun) with a grudge against capitalism targeting a mysterious Japanese capitalist.
And it turns out the target died months prior surrounded only by his riches and soulless android maids. Unable to take his riches with him to the afterlife they will probably end up going to the Japanese government.
A deep story scripted by series director Kenji Kamiyama.

Mature

So, like, this is an episode about a Chinese assassin (that uses coins as ammo for her gun) with a grudge against capitalism targeting a mysterious Japanese capitalist.
And it turns out the target died months prior surrounded only by his riches and soulless android maids. Unable to take his riches with him to the afterlife they will probably end up going to the Japanese government.
The coin ammo stuff is fucking awesome.

Andrew J.

My favorite episode title in all of anime.

You know I've been dissapointed in Tokyo Ghoul's manga adaption.

tumblr_nc43lvKwOy1smmq2po7_500.gif

But seeing this scene animated has eased me and made me a bit happy. Though I'm still mad at Studio Pierrot.

Moaradin

You know I've been dissapointed in Tokyo Ghoul's manga adaption.

https://33.media.tumblr.com/1ea2e42b29f7699889d6600022ce5e05/tumblr_nc43lvKwOy1smmq2po7_500.gif

But seeing this scene animated has eased me and made me a bit happy. Though I'm still mad at Studio Pierrot.

That episode was easily the best in the show but as an ending it completely sucks lol. As I said in the tokyo ghoul thread, it's like they just wanted to do this scene and didn't give a shit about anything else.

It got more more interested in the manga at least.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom