• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Summer Anime 2016 |OT| Makes Me Happy When Skies Are Grey

Status
Not open for further replies.

Squishy3

Maybe it's because of the roles I've heard Ono in recently but his voice and that character do not match for me.
He's just using his Jotaro voice for this one so yeah. His voice for Kodai in 2199 is pretty different so it's not like he doesn't have range.

In terms of production values, Unlimited Blade Works (the series, not the movie) is similar. In terms of story and tone, everything is bad, stay away.

Thanks. Just from the way the rest of this series looks, the direction these take baffle me.

Kumomukuro 1-2

I enjoyed these a great deal. I wish I could've watched these week to week as they aired, simply because there's nine hundred other shows to binge watch(anime and non) and it somehow makes it easier to add shows to the pile. But I'm interested in the juxtaposition of the past with future tech, and I like how angry the samurai is. The fights were fun too.

Taboo Tattoo 1

Yeah this was mostly terrible, but great action scenes. Not sure that makes it worth sticking with. Maybe if there's a plot at some point.

duckroll

Thanks. Just from the way the rest of this series looks, the direction these take baffle me.

Well, it's really the reverse. Fate/Stay Night was created first, and dictates the tone of the entire franchise. Fate/Zero is the only prequel/spinoff which has adult characters and a more "serious" sort of mafia tone, while everything else is about teenagers with power levels.

Well, it's really the reverse. Fate/Stay Night was created first, and dictates the tone of the entire franchise. Fate/Zero is the only prequel/spinoff which has adult characters and a more "serious" sort of mafia tone, while everything else is about teenagers with power levels.

Y'know, I knew that at one point and then totally forgot over the years. Are the other series significantly more popular for them to just cater to an entirely different audience? I can't think of many connected series that have parts that are so wildly different in tone.

Noirulus

Kabaneri of the Fortress ep. 1 - 6

This is great. It's like a more entertaining Snowpiercer with superb action and a believable plot. And the artstyle is beautiful, a modern take on older character designs? Love it

Narag

Is it cg?

zXphu5ll.jpg

Orange Episode 1

Love the opening to the series and the way the episode ended. Already hooked and reeled in for the series due to these 2 elements, but there's also the mystery aspect of it. Seems like it will be an emotional show. It will be hard to not just switch to the manga and read ahead.

firehawk12

Subete no aware
Foodsagi Drop is okay. The "twist" of the
father telling the girl that "mommy is on a farm upstate" seems to be the source of any drama that'll come down the line.

Is that a spoiler? I don't even know anymore because of GAF.

Re:Zero 10

So Rem is a Yandere? Man what a great episode, everytime i say that this is the last one for the day but I can't stop watching it.

Nephtis

Inazuma is father-daughter purity of the most sickingly sweet and cute fashion. No creep factor here.

oh my god this series is so good! sooooo good! omg. this is gonna be my number one of the season, I just know it. oh man.

I didn't know if I wanted to just smile throughout the whole thing or be teary eyed. the charm this series has is just fantastic. holy shit.

Yotsuba, Barakamon, Usagui Drop with a dash of Koufuku Grafiti (not the sexy eating).

Rather than Koufuku I'd throw in Aishiteruze Baby.

Re:Zero 10

Ram ship is dead, long live Rem.

Great episode, glad he didn't die off in the end and woke up at day 1. That' would have been too cruel.

Great stopping point for the day, just watched like 6 episodes straight. Im already dreading having to wait weekly for each episode now.

Man I totally hated Rem after episode 7 but now I'm digging her. Full speed ahead!

Jex

I met up with Jarmel at AX and we briefly talked about Berserk but I realized something then -

Who the hell is this new Berserk show made for?

Right now it seems like Berserk is attempting to make a re-emergence. It's not an obscure series in the West, but its not on the same level as SAO or Attack on Titan despite having been around for a while. It's not just the Berserk anime, there's a new volume releasing and a Musou game as well.

So you have this anime and you are new to the series. It is an anime that is doing its hardest to speed through everything for the sole purpose of adapting the Millennium Falcon Arc as fast as possible, making it not the best choice for newcomers. Imagine if Hunter x Hunter 2011 decided to cram everything prior to the Chimera Ants Arc into 10 episodes just so they could get there faster. Every element of the 1st episode was trying to push together all the events that make the arc happen regardless of how they happen in the manga. Puck doesn't know Guts when he meets Isidro. Schierke, Farnese and Serpico are introduced briefly so that we already know they are important when they show up later. Guts' situation is relegated to a flashback which might as well say "Watch the movies!"

Then you have the fans who already like the series. After tepid reactions to the movie trilogy, a main complaint being the CGI and the skipping of story beats the decision was made to do that but even worse. What draw is there for Berserk fans other then a self-flagellating take on watching the show just because it has the Berserk name on it?

What is this show? Why was it made? Who thought this was a good idea?
It's clearly part of some kind of wider Berserk media push that includes the game as well. Some committee somewhere probably wants to do the JoJo's resurgence where you hit as many quadrants as possible to raise the power of the Berserk IP.

Therefore, they want to do it just 'because' - they are more concerned with having the anime exist than it actually being good. They obviously aren't interested in making it too long either because, well, that just costs more money so truncating some arcs seems like an obvious solution.

katagai

As someone who is currently playing through (and enjoying) Tales of Zestiria, I figured I'd give the anime a watch. However, I couldn't even make it several minutes in before I had to stop watching because they couldn't even bother to use the same names for stuff that the english translation of the game uses. I already have to settle for subs because I can't read or speak Japanese, now I'm stuck having to translate stuff they're talking about into the ones used in the game.

An example is the book they keep bringing up, which plays a big role in the story of the game. The anime refers to it as the "Records of Seraphic Remains" (which to be honest, sounds like something someone would come up with for a fan translation), when the name it's referred to as in the entire game is the "Celestial Records". And then I made it several more minutes in before they went and referred to the city of Marlind as "Marind" and Hyland as "Highland".

I don't think I can make it any further in this anime without flipping out over every mis-named object, person or location.

Jex

It's also worth noting that adaptations which come out long after their source material have a history of compressing manga arcs see also:

Hunter x Hunter 2011
FMA: BRO
JoJo's Phantom Blood
Zetman

It's a fairly common practice throughout the industry but there are clearly ways to do it well and ways to do it very poorly.

Haly

One day I realized that sadness is just another word for not enough coffee.
Fatherhood is a pretty popular anime plot but where are my motherhood animes? The only ones I can think of off hand are Wolf Children and Seirei no Moribito.

Oh, and Michiko to Hatchin.

Re:Zero - 14

Subaru stays losing but the setting up of this new arc and potential character growth has me on this train still and juding from the new OP it looks like Subaru's
falling out with Emilia
will be a mainstay theme for atleast this arc and/or the next depending on how the remaining 10 episodes from now are filled in.

With how the village, the mansion, and Rem
getting slaughtered
without Subaru being around, I wonder if Subaru's determination to play the hero is justified because arguably, as we seen before, the only way tragic shit has been prevented was due to him and his stubborness; will this arc turn the tables and show how Subaru's stubborness caused said shit to happen?

Speaking of new OPs, the new OP was meh and not as enjoyable as the first. As for the new ED I need to hear/listen to it more but I didn't dislike it immediatly.

Jintor

Fatherhood is a pretty popular anime plot but where are my motherhood animes? The only ones I can think of off hand are Wolf Children and Seirei no Moribito.

I was going to say presumably like gaming it was because more mans are making anime/games then women, but that's... probably not actually true regarding mangaka.

Huh

Cornbread78

As someone who is currently playing through (and enjoying) Tales of Zestiria, I figured I'd give the anime a watch. However, I couldn't even make it several minutes in before I had to stop watching because they couldn't even bother to use the same names for stuff that the english translation of the game uses. I already have to settle for subs because I can't read or speak Japanese, now I'm stuck having to translate stuff they're talking about into the ones used in the game.

An example is the book they keep bringing up, which plays a big role in the story of the game. The anime refers to it as the "Records of Seraphic Remains" (which to be honest, sounds like something someone would come up with for a fan translation), when the name it's referred to as in the entire game is the "Celestial Records". And then I made it several more minutes in before they went and referred to the city of Marlind as "Marind" and Hyland as "Highland".

I don't think I can make it any further in this anime without flipping out over every mis-named object, person or location.

I'm going to hold judgement for a couple more episodes to see if they fix that. I did notice it as well, but glossed over it initially. Hopefully, it was either done on purpose because that part was not really covered in the game, or who ever is in charge of the translations gets smacked around a littlecand corrects it next episode. Outside of that and a large and speedy info dump, I thought the episode was pretty good and damn was it beautiful looking.

Jex

grls don't make or watch anime

next question

Mailbox

I'm halfway done my new avatar... if only I didn't lose my first draft to a technical screw-up with my tablet!

Netoge 6-12 (END)

Not much to say, really. They drop the yandere side of Ako period in the second half, which is a shame. Still not a fan of how the eyes and mouths are done for this, so yeah... The ending also wasn't completely satisfying imo. The fanservice adds nothing and I really could have done without it. I didn't hate the series though.

Overall, you could do worse with your time.

Jex

srs answer

It appears as a major plot element in any number of shows aimed at girls, often via some kind of magic see:

Doremi Season 2 - This season is entirely about looking after a child
Sailor Moon - All the Chibiusa arcs
Mama is a 4th Grader - Almost self explanatory, this entire series is about looking after a child

T-Rex.

Banned
Can someone tell me if any of the series after Fate/Zero are worth watching? I loved that show when it came out, and all of the others look like strange offshoot magical girl shows or shoujos or everything I didn't watch Fate/Zero for. Are any of them actually similar to Fate/Zero?
Depends what you liked about Fate/Zero, but I'd say Unlimited Blade Works (TV series) is quite good. The writing isn't as strong as Fate/Zero but the action makes up for that.

Don't watch Illya.

Saiki Special 1

I didn't laugh once. I mean, there's not much else to say about this one.

Puzzle and Dragons 1

Okay, you know what? I checked this out just hoping to see some dragons, and I got a surprisingly well animated dragon fight. Definitely pretty bog standard game to anime writing here, but I got some enjoyment out of it.

Sweetness and Lightning 1

Sweet without being saccharine, this episode was pretty fun. Nice art too. That said, it seems like the student is potentially crushing on Kohei already, and that leaves me rather cold.

zulux21

Amaama to Inazuma/Sweetness and Lightning - 01

twas okay, which given my usual reaction to shows like this is kill it with fire... likely means if you enjoy shows that are cute like this you should run and watch it ASAP :p.

relife 1-3
an enjoyable watch so far. I am curious how the manga compares to the pacing of the anime.

Fukigen na Mononokean 1
meh... I will give it another episode but I wasn't really impressed by this.

Orange 1

meh first episode aside from the very end, that being said I already read half of the manga to this one so I know it will get a lot more interesting soon thus I will keep watching as the adaption was just fine.

soma 2 - 1
curse you for being 1/13th done already.
with the pacing of the first episode it seems likely that they are going to basically go at double speed of the first season and adapt a lot more in a lot less time.

either way it should be a fun watch, just sad it seems like due to this we might not get another soma season as it feels like they are making a season just to finish the arc they started and that will be it.

Haly

One day I realized that sadness is just another word for not enough coffee.
It's ironic this teacher dad doesn't know how to cook when every worthless LN NEET hero is apparently an iron chef, because that's the most non-threatening yet appealing character trait for someone who's otherwise a useless sack of shit.

Jintor

being bad at cooking is really difficult and I don't know how anime characters manage it

having no time to cook or prepare for cooking or to clean up, or being ultra lazy, that I get, but being bad at cooking... cooking is just following instructions and not taking shortcuts... come on!

I was going to say presumably like gaming it was because more mans are making anime/games then women, but that's... probably not actually true regarding mangaka.

Huh

Both Bunny Drop and Sweetness and Lightning are written by women, so it would be a mistake to assume that only men are interested in writing stories about fathers.

zulux21

being bad at cooking is really difficult and I don't know how anime characters manage it

having no time to cook or prepare for cooking or to clean up, or being ultra lazy, that I get, but being bad at cooking... cooking is just following instructions and not taking shortcuts... come on!

I know a number of people who are bad at cooking.
it's that not taking shortcuts part :p

It's ironic this teacher dad doesn't know how to cook when every worthless LN NEET hero is apparently an iron chef, because that's the most non-threatening yet appealing character trait for someone who's otherwise a useless sack of shit.

what is more ironic is the fact that you are sporting an avatar from a series with a worthless LN NEET who wasn't an iron chef.

I mean we had episodes with him learning how to cut potatoes without cutting himself :p

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom