• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Summer Anime 2017 |OT| More streaming services than shows to watch

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hitorijim my hero episode 4
tumblr_otvwp8ptBP1ug527jo4_400.gif

The secondary ship is the better one in the anime I love them so much
tumblr_otv37zQpxo1tbp5fpo2_500.gif

tumblr_otv37zQpxo1tbp5fpo3_500.gif

Setagawa though, hopefully they make some meaningful progress that goes beyond just a fun one so he can stay from being distracted away from school work.

-Minsc-

Further thoughts on Texhnolyze
Forgot to post this short write up when I finished the show.

Firstly, after finishing the show, I still thought the best episode of the show was episode 19 when they go to the surface, and also the most depressing. See, even though literally everyone dies in the final episode, at least by that point you know this is inevitable and you are just going along for the ride. Episode 19 is it truly hits you how utterly pointless everything is, and everyone is going to die. It is also a great episode for other reasons than that, but I am bringing this up for my next point.

This is not a nihilist show, which I thought it was going to be at first thanks to the aforementioned episode. Firstly, part of the reason everything dies in the first place is because people resign themselves for the end to happen, whether because of apathy after having achieved the final stages of evolution, or because they decide that the seer's prophecies are inevitable, though they are not since the beginning of the show told us she only sees possibilities. In essence, it is more of a warning against apathy. The other big reason is that in the finale, there are two people who gets dignified death. Onishi gets one because instead of surrendering to insanity, he dies doing one last task for the city. Ichise gets one because he dies trying to protect what little he has left to protect, even if he fails. In the end, you can see him dying without regret. Basically, despite their actions not changing anything, their attempt to fight the inevitable fulfills them. In essence, this is a show rooted in the concept of absurdism. Very much like the Myth of Sysiphus, where Albert Camus concludes that the very act of rolling the rock uphill fills Sysiphus with contentment once he has reached acceptance of his hopeless situation.

So in a certain point of view, this is an inspirational show! :p
No, it's not.

4EetGx0.png

Talking about absurdism, Lux was basically a concentration camp taken to an extreme.

Being a show about The End, it makes me wish there was a full adaptation of "A Record of a Yokohama Shopping Trip". Like Texhnolyze, humanity is in it's twilight. Unlike Texhnolyze, the tone is the complete opposite. Humanity has excepted its end, yet was not devoid of life (at least that is how I remember it).

Line_HTX

I know the adaptations aren't gonna be as good as the game itself, but I think some scenes are fun in anime form at least.

I did enjoy the P4 one though it should have looked better with less bad shots.

It's not a "bizarre reason," it's that if someone asks "why is this constantly going off-model" the obvious answer an animator is going to give in a series like Konosuba is going to be "stylistic decision" rather than "we didn't have enough money to hire animators who would correct it," because nobody likes the second answer and enough people will buy the first answer.

Like I said, it's not ruining the series or anything, but it's noticeable.

It seems like your idea of budget in anime is a little skewed. Luckily I wrote a lovely article explaining it perfectly.

Definitive Anime Review is 'satire' in case you didn't know.

Angry Grimace

Two cannibals are eating a clown. One turns to the other and says "does something taste funny to you?"
When we're talking about an industry where even shows which sell literally jack shit have "enough money" to correct scenes which are actually unintentionally off model in the home video releases, it seems highly implausible that they would have to actually lie about something like that for a successful show. If it is something they didn't want to talk about at all, it simply wouldn't be asked in interviews, because that's how the Japanese entertainment press work.

I mean, I get what you're saying but I am still highly skeptical of the claim that the director decided to go off-model repeatedly in moments where it had no comedic value, (e.g. a character's head shrinks randomly in one shot) when that wasn't done in the prior season by the same studio.

And not to change tack, but if the underlying point is that the animation wasn't good, I don't think it actually matters whether they did it on purpose or not. The animation in that season, whether intentional or not, looked worse than the previous season. UFOtable intentionally made everyone in Unlimited Blade Works have no noses and it still looked bad even if they clearly intended everyone to have no nose.

phaze

Further thoughts on Texhnolyze
Forgot to post this short write up when I finished the show.

Firstly, after finishing the show, I still thought the best episode of the show was episode 19 when they go to the surface, and also the most depressing. See, even though literally everyone dies in the final episode, at least by that point you know this is inevitable and you are just going along for the ride. Episode 19 is it truly hits you how utterly pointless everything is, and everyone is going to die. It is also a great episode for other reasons than that, but I am bringing this up for my next point.

This is not a nihilist show, which I thought it was going to be at first thanks to the aforementioned episode. Firstly, part of the reason everything dies in the first place is because people resign themselves for the end to happen, whether because of apathy after having achieved the final stages of evolution, or because they decide that the seer's prophecies are inevitable, though they are not since the beginning of the show told us she only sees possibilities. In essence, it is more of a warning against apathy. The other big reason is that in the finale, there are two people who gets dignified death. Onishi gets one because instead of surrendering to insanity, he dies doing one last task for the city. Ichise gets one because he dies trying to protect what little he has left to protect, even if he fails. In the end, you can see him dying without regret. Basically, despite their actions not changing anything, their attempt to fight the inevitable fulfills them. In essence, this is a show rooted in the concept of absurdism. Very much like the Myth of Sysiphus, where Albert Camus concludes that the very act of rolling the rock uphill fills Sysiphus with contentment once he has reached acceptance of his hopeless situation.

So in a certain point of view, this is an inspirational show! :p
No, it's not.

Wow, someone agrees with me. Now that I think of it, this could also tie to the whole Yoshi's shtick.

Diebuster 04

Shit goes down some the episode. There are some cracks on the surface here and there that this rewatch makes me realizebut this is still as good as ever.

Reflection 02
Ehhh, maybe instead of devoting an entire ep 2 to explaining ep 1 make ep 1 straight forward instead ? Some of the backgrounds are simplistic to extreme and the long shots of completely static crowds just jarring. And this idol group tie-in some of the most awkward advertising ever. Maybe it'll justify its existence along the way but here it was an entire episode of villains and heroes in US that just suddenly switches to Japan and the "hey girls, let's make a band". Like, wut ? Probably dropped for now.

zulux21

DnqeOey.jpg

Can't wait to watch my first Persona anime and experience the disappointment the rest of you regularly feel with a Persona anime adaptation.

well that will make best girl of 2018 easy.

don't know how much actual interest I have in the anime but I will at least watch it for some more of the best girl.

Angry Grimace

Two cannibals are eating a clown. One turns to the other and says "does something taste funny to you?"
well that will make best girl of 2018 easy.

don't know how much actual interest I have in the anime but I will at least watch it for some more of the best girl.

The fact I have no idea who you are referring to is interesting.

Ballroom Episode 4 & 5

Hyodo's partner, Shizuku deserves some praise which I wish the anime would give, I thought she was just as impressive.

New femchar should be good for fujita, hopefully it allows him to fully flourish as a dancer.

Ascheroth

I mean, I get what you're saying but I am still highly skeptical of the claim that the director decided to go off-model repeatedly in moments where it had no comedic value, (e.g. a character's head shrinks randomly in one shot) when that wasn't done in the prior season by the same studio.

And not to change tack, but if the underlying point is that the animation wasn't good, I don't think it actually matters whether they did it on purpose or not. The animation in that season, whether intentional or not, looked worse than the previous season. UFOtable intentionally made everyone in Unlimited Blade Works have no noses and it still looked bad even if they clearly intended everyone to have no nose.
I'm sorry, but the only thing I can say is that you have no idea what you're talking about. The underlying point is that the animation was good. Konosuba S2 was a step-up from season 1 in every aspect.
God Blow
Arrow shot
Arrow shot the second
That entire sequence of awesomeness - but you probably think that's bad animation
All of them explosions
and so much more.

I mean I think it's pretty clear that you simply don't like loose animation - which is fine, but it doesn't make the animation bad.

Cornbread78

Made in Abyss ep.4
I it me, or did these events just fly bye in this episode? The big burly guy was a nice addition and brought more perspective into those around Riku. Lots of forshadowing ibto the future terrible events that will surround these two as they travel further..

blurr

I think the on/off model discussion is an odd one, because if we define being on-model as being consistent in form and style of animation, then I think shows that have consistently on-model characters are kind of a rare thing. Due to a variety of factors, production demands, outsourcing, animator quirks, etc.

Yep, sakuga is lauded in anime amongst sakuga fans partly because how much animators in Japan get to reveal their own style, which, as a compromise is a loss of consistency in a lot of cases.

More people should watch Kemono Friends for its consistently on-model animation.

+100

I'm sorry, but the only thing I can say is that you have no idea what you're talking about. The underlying point is that the animation was good. Konosuba S2 was a step-up from season 1 in every aspect.
God Blow
Arrow shot
Arrow shot the second
That entire sequence of awesomeness - but you probably think that's bad animation
All of them explosions
and so much more.

I mean I think it's pretty clear that you simply don't like loose animation - which is fine, but it doesn't make the animation bad.

Yeah those are some good animation. I really like the arrow shots as well Aqua's facial expression and how it was animated. It made it feel dynamic.

Angry Grimace

God Blow
Arrow shot
Arrow shot the second
All of them explosions
and so much more.

I'm not sorry that I don't agree. =)

:p

There is a reason I went with girl instead of Waifu.

I'm always a sucker for intelligent adorkable characters.

I still don't know which one you are referring to.

I hope P5 gets a good writer and director for this........who am I kidding they gonna get Seiji Kishi again.

The problem with a Persona anime is that there's literally no reason to watch an anime of a game that is already basically an anime.

DnqeOey.jpg

Can't wait to watch my first Persona anime and experience the disappointment the rest of you regularly feel with a Persona anime adaptation.

This has no actual reason to exist lmao.

Remember how bad and out of place the animated cutscenes are in the game compared to how great everything else looks? How about 24 episodes of that.

I am happy it seems like they are moving on from Persona 4, it only took 8 years

One Piece Baron Omatsuri and The Secret Island

Having read the manga, it doesn't take long to realize how much potential OP has as an animated series, given how slapstick and cartoon-like it is. This movie caters to that longing albeit its designs and style are noticeably different from how it appears in the manga, I don't mind that, I actually adore Takaaki Yamashita's(?) style. Paired with Sushio and Chikashi Kubota as the animation directors mentioned in the initial credits sequence this was turning out to be something to be excited about just on grounds of seeing the show in animated form (I did however watch bits and pieces of the show on YouTube to see how they've animated some key moments prior to this which were hit and miss). This stuck mostly towards its comedic tone with a lot of visual humor but nothing unseen in another show, the thing that I would say the movie misses out on is the reactions and faces that Oda draws in the manga, they're quite entertaining on their own, this has such moments and they're not bad at all but I'd still prefer Oda's style in this case. Action moments while not many pack a strong punch (excuse the pun) the few times it happens.

It really turned out to be an endearing story deceptive enough to feel like something right off the manga. I need to look up the writers once, they've probably let Oda make some choices or just heavily influenced by him. It's a One Piece story of course but I at some level expected something different. There's something about the atmosphere in the movie at times that's definitely unlike what I had imagined when reading, although, this isn't unusual for a Hosoda movie. The moments I speak of are more silent when the crew or the less noisy crew are on their own with little to do - when Chopper roams the city on his own.

Baron and the toothbrush moustache captain are two extreme entities of a similar situation who made different choices, this contrast was very nice in both understanding Baron's situation and that he could've made a good choice. The pirate family has a fairly simple premise but that didn't stop me from getting emotional over it by the end, it ties in with the finale smoothly.

The ending scene of that movie where it gets ultra dark is some of the best One Piece stuff and it isnt even cano

Monster Hunter Stories Ride On Episode 43

I was so looking forward to how Hyoro would be able to interact once they met again. it was so good even if I did get mad at Genie at first for his response. Best episode of the Cheval defection arc thus far.

Persona 5 anime will extend everyones favorite parts like the Hawaii trip and explaining Joker's ruse for like 2 episodes each

Youll probably get an entire episode for certain confidants. And Takemi wont be one of them

Defuser

The problem with a Persona anime is that there's literally no reason to watch an anime of a game that is already basically an anime.

People don't want to slog through over 100 hours to see all confident stories and the main plot when they can watch it all within 12 hours spread over weekly allowing them to do other things instead of dedicating hours grinding to progress the plot and sidequest.

People don't want to slog through over 100 hours to see all confident stories and the main plot when they can watch it all within 12 hours spread over weekly allowing them to do other things instead of dedicating hours grinding to progress the plot and sidequest.

Then dont do either. Its the same thing people say about Danganronpa the Animation or Phoenix Wright the Animation (remember that) where they dont want to do the investigations they just want to see the results and its absolutely a worse experience

I'd go as far as to say that those anime aren't for newcomers, they are for people who really liked the original series who have zero standards and want to relive the best moments done worse

Enjoyable and Persona 3 is not the words I would put in the same sentence with regards to the anime...

Well tbh anything animated Persona has been mediocre. I just found Persona 3 the most enjoyable out of all of them plus it didn't have as much quality as the other ones.

Although it probably has to do with the fact that Persona 4 is my least favorite game out of the entire Persona series.

Edit: Teddie and Yosuke are the worst characters in the entire series. Heck I prefer Ken then them.

blurr

The ending scene of that movie where it gets ultra dark is some of the best One Piece stuff and it isnt even cano

Yeah, I didn't expect that, it's a highlight of the movie, unusual from how OP arcs fold out and yet so much like it in terms of its endearing spirit.

This has no actual reason to exist lmao.

Remember how bad and out of place the animated cutscenes are in the game compared to how great everything else looks? How about 24 episodes of that.

I am happy it seems like they are moving on from Persona 4, it only took 8 years

Dungeon 4 cutscene was legit good though.

javac

They're showing Shin Godzilla at a cinema near me, they have nice leather recliners, worth going or should I just wait for the BD? Decisions...

There will probably be a Q 2, Dancing All Night 2 and P5 characters in that Blazblue/RWBY/UNIEL/Persona game. I'd be curious to see how the P5 cast works in Arena because...they all have firearms.

Probably too early for Persona 5 Crimson, unless they wanted to do a P5P on the Switch or something because theres no Sony handheld anymore. I mean I guess a Vita game wouldn't be out of the question but...the way that game looks is way above 3 or 4. Being on Vita would probably be a big downgrade

Defuser

Probably too early for Persona 5 Crimson, unless they wanted to do a P5P on the Switch or something because theres no Sony handheld anymore. I mean I guess a Vita game wouldn't be out of the question but...the way that game looks is way above 3 or 4. Being on Vita would probably be a big downgrade

It took 4 years between P4 and Golden, 3 years between P3 and P3P. P5 Crimson would prob be 3 - 4 years later so anything can happen in that timeframe for Sony.

Sterok

KiraKira Precure À La Mode 25

Yukari is kind of a dick messing with everyone's emotions for her own fun. Yeah she also has her own issues with the expectations everyone puts on her, but she could try being a little more honest. It was nice seeing her be more vulnerable for once. Akira got roped into protecting her princess. Well, she didn't say no to any of that. Yukari/Akira is basically canon, though that was pretty obvious since awhile ago.

duckroll

It took 4 years between P4 and Golden, 3 years between P3 and P3P. P5 Crimson would prob be 3 - 4 years later so anything can happen in that timeframe for Sony.

Why compare P3 to P3P when the time between P3 to P3 FES was less than a year? Considering how P5 ended, I'm totally expecting a re-release expansion that will be on retail and DLC by next year.

Defuser

Why compare P3 to P3P when the time between P3 to P3 FES was less than a year? Considering how P5 ended, I'm totally expecting a re-release expansion that will be on retail and DLC by next year.
I was thinking a handheld in mind when I made that comparison. But yeah Atlus will probably do a P5 Fes first then a P5 portable a few years down the road.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom