• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Summer Anime 2017 |OT| More streaming services than shows to watch

Status
Not open for further replies.
My First Girlfriend is a Gal, Episode 1 (dub) - Based on how you guys were reacting to this series, I went in with expectations set at 0. Seems like the Funimation ADR new the type of schlock he was dealing with here because all of the voice actors go full ham here (ala Akiba's Trip, Is This a Zombie?).

The show sucks, but the voice acting kind of saves it lol. The guy who they got to voice the MC, Alejandro Saab aka Kaggyfilms, has really good comedic timing. If nothing else, I'm hoping if Funimation ever gets the rights to dub Konosuba, he's who they cast as Kazuma.

e_i

In Another World With My Smartphone episode 4

Loli get! Also, for an easy going show this sure is violent. Decapitations. Wolves tearing apes apart. Burning apes alive.

New Game!! episode 4

In Aoba's new game, you get to skin a bear using scissors! Fun for all ages!

Cornbread78

Blue Gender ep.9-10
Obxjtvi.png
Yuji, you already bagged that
nomad cutie
but you leave to save the others? Wrong move because nothing ever goes right in this world. Everyone is dooned..

Tiger Mask W 24

A bit rougher than Yu Kamatani's past two episodes - the tighter production schedule is obvious - but still a good episode with some strong storyboarding and fight animation. The confrontation between Tiger Mask and Tiger the Dark was the highlight. That point of view shot when Kevin hurtles Tiger Mask towards Tiger the Dark is really cool, and makes you vividly feel Tiger Mask's feeling of helplessness as his arms flail in front of him.

moogs

Neo Member
Hoozuki no Reitetsu 03

Is newhalf offensive/a slur or a proper term for transgender people in Japan?
It's originally a positive term that came from a need for a contemporary label in their entertainment lexicon, and it's somewhat outdated now. There isn't an English equivalent but it's closest to shemale in its literal meaning. Already being narrow in scope, there aren't exactly better sounding alternatives to newhalf. Although, it doesn't inherently carry negative connotations and doesn't simply express "transgendered" either. Outside of Japan, it seems to be used most closely to shemale or ladyboy, and even tranny—descriptively. In casual conversation, however, it would probably lean more towards being an informal label—such as "trans"—for a pre/non-operation male-to-female. It's unlike trap, if that is what you're essentially asking.

It's originally a positive term that came from a need for a contemporary label in their entertainment lexicon, and it's somewhat outdated. There isn't an English equivalent but it's closest to shemale in its literal meaning. Being narrow in scope, there aren't exactly better sounding alternatives to newhalf. Although, It doesn't inherently carry negative connotations and doesn't simply express "transgendered" either. Outside of Japan, it seems to be used most closely to shemale, and even tranny—descriptively. In casual conversation, however, it would probably lean more towards being an informal label—such as "trans"—for a transgendered pre/non-operation male-to-female. It's unlike trap, if that is what you're essentially asking.

Thats informative, thanks.

SDBurton

World's #1 Cosmonaut Enthusiast
Hajimete no Gal 1-3

Holy shit this show is lewd. I already felt like Ranko would be best girl, so you could imagine my excitement
when it's revealed that she harbors feelings for Yame.

Garden stays winning

https://www.animenewsnetwork.com/answerman/2017-08-02/.119577

Justin's hot take on the Sony acquisition of Funimation. The point about the Crunchyroll/Funimation deal is interesting. Wonder how long that deal was supposed to be for. On one hand I could see Sony letting that lapse. On the other the deal as allowed them to dub/get involved with home releases of things they otherwise did not have.

I just hope hand shakers bd doesnt get delayed.

Moose Biscuits

It would be extreamly painful...
I'd let my CR sub lapse as I'd gone for a while just not watching anime; missed out on the entirety of last season. (any recommendations on stuff from then would be good btw)

Resubbed yesterday due to that Netflix thread plus the recent twitch stream. Looked through the new show list, saw Aho Girl and since I'd heard people talking about it decided to watch.

Watched all the episodes up to this point. This show is aggressively dumb, raunchy trash. I love it, I've missed it so much.

owet61hzs31jmlrvdk4iqiwlms.gif

I'd let my CR sub lapse as I'd gone for a while just not watching anime; missed out on the entirety of last season. (any recommendations on stuff from then would be good btw)

Resubbed yesterday due to that Netflix thread plus the recent twitch stream. Looked through the new show list, saw Aho Girl and since I'd heard people talking about it decided to watch.

Watched all the episodes up to this point. This show is aggressively dumb, raunchy trash. I love it, I've missed it so much.

owet61hzs31jmlrvdk4iqiwlms.gif

GIF needs a Netflix edit, so Duckroll can use it for every Netflix related news.

dan2026

It's originally a positive term that came from a need for a contemporary label in their entertainment lexicon, and it's somewhat outdated now. There isn't an English equivalent but it's closest to shemale in its literal meaning. Already being narrow in scope, there aren't exactly better sounding alternatives to newhalf. Although, it doesn't inherently carry negative connotations and doesn't simply express "transgendered" either. Outside of Japan, it seems to be used most closely to shemale or ladyboy, and even tranny—descriptively. In casual conversation, however, it would probably lean more towards being an informal label—such as "trans"—for a pre/non-operation male-to-female. It's unlike trap, if that is what you're essentially asking.
Is it similar to the term 'okama'?

And is okama considered an offensive term?

The "junk food" defense can only go so far.

Yeah you could eat a bucket of poison, toxic waste, and feces and call it junk food but you'd be doing serious damage to yourself by eating it.

Cornbread78

Eccentric Family S2
MHA
Grimoire of Zero
Sword of Oratoria
Tsuki ga Kirei
World End/Sukasuka
Saekano S2
Alice to Zouroku

Darker than Black ep.10
Whelp, I didn't expect that to happen, but hell, we got lots and lots of blood as usual. The whole purpose of this "V" like contractor is still a little vague. I mean, what is he doing?

Cornbread78

The "junk food" defense can only go so far.

Yeah you could eat a bucket of poison, toxic waste, and feces and call it junk food but you'd be doing serious damage to yourself by eating it.

We're not talking about Green Green, School Days or Shirobaka levels of anime food here....

Answerman ANN Column said:
...Despite those successes, the company has not done particularly well growing its own streaming platforms, and is reliant on partners for many of its streaming needs (currently from another Sony unit, replication provider Sony DADC), ...
(emphasis added)

Oh ffs, the one upside I was hoping for from Sony/Funimation deal was decent streaming but if they were the problem with FuniNow 1.0 then that's not improving any time soon. This is all down side for me right now, a crappy streaming platform teams up with the people who made it a bad experience in the first place and will eventually yank their content from the one consistently good provider, CR. HiDive are the only dedicated competitor worth talking about in Ireland after Daisuki has announced it's going away (gee no-one was enthused about paying for fewer ads, colour me shocked) and their selection is currently pretty limited. AniStrike is not a thing here but even at that I'm not interested in Amazon Video given their wonky and seemingly secret release schedule for non-US territories. Netflix is Netflix, my #1 destination for anime that has been thoroughly spoiled 8 months prior.

Also how pathetic is that two years after they launched FuniNow they still don't have PS4 apps when their bloody provider is a Sony division (a really bad one if FuniNow is any example but still)

Cornbread78

Millennials are killing the junk food anime industry with organic anime!

no, they just want to stay and home and be hand fed anime by their families and the government without having to work for it. Then they bit(h as loud as possible online about how $hitty anime is and how the government and their parents don't do $hit for them, so now they are fat, depressed and have grown social issues along the way...

John Blade

no, they just want to stay and home and be hand fed anime by their families and the government without having to work for it. Then they bit(h as loud as possible online about how $hitty anime is and how the government and their parents don't do $hit for them, so now they are fat, depressed and have grown social issues along the way...

Are you mocking me as I can tell current anime is $hitty and the god damn government don't give a $hitt on our current generation and for this reason, I am now fat and feel depressed about this
/s

Cornbread78

Are you mocking me as I can tell current anime is $hitty and the god damn government don't give a $hitt on our current generation and for this reason, I am now fat and feel depressed about this
/s

LOL

I love you man. I love everyone too much, but my parody statement is a fun read at least!

tumblr_mm4wzpXyNO1qic25lo1_500.gif

Qurupeke

Bungo Stray Dogs 17-20

That escalated quickly. On one episode it's mind games between the leaders and then, after a couple of battles, the Guild moves swiftly to complete annihilation mode of everyone else. Like, why even they bothered with "1 week later". And everything so far was, of course, for that inevitable alliance.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom