• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Summer Anime 2017 |OT| More streaming services than shows to watch

Status
Not open for further replies.

Line_HTX

Netsuzou Trap 01

Kind of sucks that it's a 9 minute short, but whatever. This is still glorious.

The path of yuri starts with the French kissing, heh heh heh

aPBqeCd.png

/XX/

Looks like they also announced discount BD sets:
https://twitter.com/Gurren_Project/status/882629497069195265

28000 JPY + tax for the series set (so about ~ 270 USD), and 8000 JPY + tax for a movie set.
Yep, that's right. Sorry about that! The two CM for both products aired as the broadcast of the episode ended and after my previous post (the CM for DARLING in the FRANKXX I mentioned was shown at the episode's half-time commercial break). Now I wonder about its possible similarities with the previously announced one for North America.

Shard

XBLAnnoyance
Netsuzou Trap Episode 1:

Does it really count as NTR when you don't give a shit about any of the relationships?

Narag

I'd favor perishing instead of more Bungou, alright.

Nah, really, there's not a single character and plot thread I care about. I wouldn't enjoy any more of this.

tbf the next arc's mc and plot are different from the rest of the show and self-contained. I'd recommend at least the first ep to see if you find the different tone and approach to the material to be more palatable

phaze

Huh, for some reason I didn't expect this to stick so close to the artstyle of that old PV
All my Marvel/superhero antibodies are screaming loudly but I'll still check it out.

She truly gets me.

I'd favor perishing instead of more Bungou, alright.

Nah, really, there's not a single character and plot thread I care about. I wouldn't enjoy any more of this.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H7-51DeTRRQ

MSMrRound

Aho Girl 01

The glorious reunion of Aoi Yuuki and Sugita ever since Symphogear G (oh wait..there was Persona 5, wasn't there) (and maybe even a bit of Hikasa Yoko as her mom for that Sympho connection!?). Yeah, both of them are pretty much perfect for this and it's right up my alley. Will definitely continue watching.

Is this new Symphogear thing not on Crunchyroll I noticed the older stuff is

Not yet. Still waiting for a confirmation from their side, but with Symphogear GX back in 2015, they only announced it about 3 episodes in...so have to wait and see.

Someone give me the cliff notes on why magical idols are fighting aliens on behalf of the UN's humanitarian forces.

Ahh...that's because you are watching the 4th season of Symphogear and they always tend to jump right in...so things might be a bit out of context.

Symphogear's order is actually

1. Senki Zesshou Symphogear (1st season, bit of a rough watch (and maybe dated to those unfamiliar with the series), season ramps up towards later half)

followed by

2. Symphogear G (new animation studio took over, everything increased in terms of quality)

3. Symphogear GX (infamous for what some might claim as the best opening 5 minutes of any shows for the Summer 2015 season)

before followed by this current Symphogear AXZ.

Feel free to join us though (and ask if you have any questions)! Not a lot of fans are vocal, but judging from impressions so far quite a few are enjoying the new season as well.

Oh yeah, if any fans of the series are interested, Symphogear's got this mobage that was launched a few days prior to the start of the season as well. It's called Symphogear XD unlimited. Check it out if you want to.

BGBW

Maturity, bitches.
I'm so casual I still don't know what half these terms means despite being in this community for so long.

Sterok

Fate/Kaleid Prisma Illya

Grand Order has me in a Fate mood, so I finally got around to this. I like Fate, and magical girls are my thing, but I can't get into this that much. The comedy doesn't click with me. At least I like the action. And I appreciate the Zero references. Well, I'll try to finish this, and then it's off to Carnival Phantasm.

Qurupeke

Fate/Kaleid Prisma Illya

Grand Order has me in a Fate mood, so I finally got around to this. I like Fate, and magical girls are my thing, but I can't get into this that much. The comedy doesn't click with me. At least I like the action. And I appreciate the Zero references. Well, I'll try to finish this, and then it's off to Carnival Phantasm.

You should just ignore Illya and go straight to Carnival Phantasm.

phaze

Violet Evergarden-1

Violet-Evergarden.jpg
So are the designs from the first CM still in ? They must be a pain in the butt to animate. Violet in the second CM looked bit differently.

Overall sounds great. Just hope what comes after deserves the praise heaped upon it writing wise.

JulianImp

Netsuzou Trap
I don't really like how one of the two girls is basically being reluctantly roped into this yuri netorare story. The whole plot line about "oh god, I don't want to do this... but why am I so turned on?" is way too trashy IMO, and I'd rather have had the two girls being okay with it rather than one having her way with the other in an overly dominant way.

It's probably more of a guilty pleasure watch than an actually good story about self-destructive relationships like Scum's Wish was, but the short episode length does help its case a bit. It's kind of sad that among the four seasonal shows I've watched on CR so far this appears to be the most decent-ish...

Edit: Regarding Illya, I'd also recommend skipping it. While I can stand watching a lewd show if its other aspects are somewhat decent, this series was just boring with the magical girl stuff, and the constant use of yuri loli mana sharing isn't really my thing.

Shard

XBLAnnoyance
Sakura Quest Episode 14:

That new cour smell, I will say that whatever flaws this series has, it is still refreshing to see adults dealing with adult issues and problems, even ones as mundane as civic planning.

phaze

Spoiled myself on VE already. Sasuga me
iatokfc8hu1e.png

-------

So that DARLING in the FRANKXX thing is just a stealth Diebuster 2 right ?

tbf the next arc's mc and plot are different from the rest of the show and self-contained. I'd recommend at least the first ep to see if you find the different tone and approach to the material to be more palatable

I've watched some of the next episode and while I can see how the tonal change potentially makes the show better for those who already like it, I personally don't want to listen to another word of Dazai.

Netsuzou Trap
I don't really like how one of the two girls is basically being reluctantly roped into this yuri netorare story. The whole plot line about "oh god, I don't want to do this... but why am I so turned on?" is way too trashy IMO, and I'd rather have had the two girls being okay with it rather than one having her way with the other in an overly dominant way.

It's probably more of a guilty pleasure watch than an actually good story about self-destructive relationships like Scum's Wish was, but the short episode length does help its case a bit. It's kind of sad that among the four seasonal shows I've watched on CR so far this appears to be the most decent-ish...

This "I really didn't want to do this but it felt kinda nice/I enjoyed some of it, after all, so it's totally cool I was forced into it!" theme seems to be unfortunately abundant in manga and anime.

I'm not overly sensitive on the matter and I don't mind it if e.g. 2 characters engage in sexual activity because one was pushing for it a bit, even though the other person wasn't directly verbally agreeing. If the context makes it clear that both people are interested and one is simply slightly uncertain or insecure, then initiating something isn't necessarily out of place.

However, too often the situation simply is downright rapey. When characters say "no" and clearly mean that and are then essentially sexually assaulted, that's something else. If the medium further tries to condone that behavior by saying "look, he/she thinks it feels good!" that's just outright disgusting. The parallels to "is it even rape if she got wet / he got an erection?!" are often not far away.

Fastest Finger First Ep. 1
This was okay, lead is likable and I'm interested enough in its presentation of Quiz Bowl to probably keep watching, pending something better usurping it.

Netsuzou Trap Ep. 1
Was okay. I'm not terribly interested in sexually disfunctional romantic trysts, or however you'd describe it. I might keep watching just to see where it goes, I found it more interesting that Scum's Wish, which I didn't follow past Episode 1, though not by much.

Saiyuki Reload Blast Ep. 1
This was weirdly fun. By no means great, and the shaky cam. was really annoying at times, but I liked the personalities of the four main guys and the ultra violence was fun.

Should be the 11th (JST) with the slot it's booked for, no?

I saw some screens of it and wasn't sure what was going on.

Your right brain fart on my end, the 11th it officially starts. First episode aired early on the 29th for Abema TV which fucks up the start date for certain sites.

Jarmel

Banned
So are the designs from the first CM still in ? They must be a pain in the butt to animate. Violet in the second CM looked bit differently.

Overall sounds great. Just hope what comes after deserves the praise heaped upon it writing wise.
That screenshot in my post is how Violet looks like in the show and is actually directly taken from the cold intro where she is gifted a brooch by Gilbert.

BGBW

Maturity, bitches.
BBC Storyville - Tokyo Girls

Firehawk mentioned this the other day, so I finally sat down to watch it.

One odd aspect I found was it was 100% focused on male fans. If one knew nothing about idol culture (and you'll be glad to know they call it that), you'd honestly think it was only about male fans liking female idols. This is despite, if one looks carefully at most audience scenes, you can clearly see female fans, and, yes, male idols are also not a thing apparently (SideM fans BTFO).

It was a fairly balanced view of the culture, as much as seeing 40 year old men cheer on ten year old girls can be. If anything, I'd say it was quite positive about the whole thing. Nothing like the first half of Wake Up, Girls paints the world. Probably because they focused on a rather small time idol so we never got to see the true terror of the big leagues.

Yes, it's a fairly happy documentary. Some people reflect back on life like if they hadn't spent all their money on idol merch they may have been able to afford a new apartment, but, if you only ever got all your idol news from GAF's Off Topic forums, you'd wonder where all the BAD NEWS is.

Heck, apart from the lyrics of the first song (something about keeping your purity until you leave school), the whole wholesome and pure image is barely touched upon. There are hints towards it, like how you can only touch them in certain places when having your photo taken with them, but nothing like how they must be boyfriend free.

It's very much a documentary for people who already know a bit about the subject since you have to fill in the gaps quite often. Like one guy talks about buying CDs for a chance at a handshaking event but they make no mention of this aspect when discussing the elections of AKB48 (they also don't mention the superior AKB0048. For shame).

Honestly, this whole review is just an excuse for me to post my favourite moment of the whole show:

pDikg7m.gif

Watch if:
  • You want your opinions of idol culture confirmed
  • You like to see cameos of Love Live merch
  • You want to feel better about your own life choices
  • You want to see a show about otaku that shows them in a reasonably positive light and remembers they are human beings too.

Don't watch if:
  • You're not a fan of yellow.
  • You want the harsh truth of being an idol fan is about:
    You're a man with no confidence who likes being able to dominate and contact females with no effort.

Skirt no Naka wa Kedamono Deshita 01

Honestly didn't expect the finger banging that happened here which makes me suspect this is a hentai and not ecchi/romance. Will continue to evaluate in the name of science.

Sakura Quest 14

That line Yoshino's little sister gave about normal happiness being hard to achieve was so good especially for someone like Yoshino who seems to find normal happiness boring.. Hopefully Yoshino has learned something during this little break of her's. There's nothing wrong with wanting an average, normal life.

Puruzi

Banned
The girl in Aho Girl is dangerously stupid. Like you might think she's stupid from the first episode, but no. She's advanced stupid. Brain damaged even. It's bad

BGBW

Maturity, bitches.
The girl in Aho Girl is dangerously stupid. Like you might think she's stupid from the first episode, but no. She's advanced stupid. Brain damaged even. It's bad

I like bananas.
She likes bananas.

It's good enough for me.

Also I like Kill Me Baby. I'm ok with stupid characters.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom