• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Summer Games Done Quick 2016 OT | July 3rd - July 10th | Gotta go fast!

Nanashrew

Banned
That was so cool!

Stumpokapow

listen to the mad man
Frankly TAS Block was shitty.

Yes, the new TAS time record for SMB3 is incredible--the previous record is about 2 minutes 50 seconds, so moving to 2 seconds is unbelievable, really impressive, and probably will be the all-time record. Yes, the 4 multi-play was excellent and highly entertaining, unlock most of the multi-plays that have massive dead time at the end of it. I'm obviously a big fan of robot overlords.

But before the TAS Block, the hype interview said it would be better than last time's. Last time used memory injection to create a full Super Mario Maker editor inside a Mario ROM, as well as using serial injection to make a crosswalk to let you view Twitch Chat on the TV over the NES. It's night and day.

This was a few bad runs (really, an un-glitched full length VVVVVV run? Why even bother?) followed by a few neat tricks followed by a boring bad hard mario hack played by a human, last time was revolutionary hacking.

Yes, the new TAS time record for SMB3 is incredible--the previous record is about 2 minutes 50 seconds, so moving to 2 seconds is unbelievable, really impressive, and probably will be the all-time record. Yes, the 4 multi-play was excellent and highly entertaining, unlock most of the multi-plays that have massive dead time at the end of it. I'm obviously a big fan of robot overlords.

But before the TAS Block, the hype interview said it would be better than last time's. Last time used memory injection to create a full Super Mario Maker editor inside a Mario ROM, as well as using serial injection to make a crosswalk to let you view Twitch Chat on the TV over the NES. It's night and day.

This was a few neat tricks followed by a boring bad hard mario hack played by a human, last time was revolutionary hacking.
I agree, it was pretty disappointing with how they hyped it

Broken Joystick

At least you can talk. Who are you?

This was a few bad runs (really, an un-glitched full length VVVVVV run? Why even bother?) followed by a few neat tricks followed by a boring bad hard mario hack played by a human, last time was revolutionary hacking.

Yeah, last year set the bar too high, I think.

I appreciate the technical achievement of completing SMB3 in two seconds, but that's not exactly fun to watch, with minutes of set up, too.

SJRB

Gold Member
Having never played FF6, there aren't enough ResidentSleepers in the world for the stuff that's going on right now, holy shit.

SGDQ is over for me, it's 1am and the finale is as always at an ungodly time. This final stretch was pretty mediocre. The TASbot stuff, Pokemon, even Diablo 2 got pretty boring at some point.

Seems the 1 million is within reach though, so that's awesome.

jett

D-Member

Huh I guess that's that.

There was a donation from someone whose daughter emptied her piggy bank to donate.

Hah that's cute.

Having never played FF6, there aren't enough ResidentSleepers in the world for the stuff that's going on right now, holy shit.

SGDQ is over for me, it's 1am and the finale is as always at an ungodly time. This final stretch was pretty mediocre. The TASbot stuff, Pokemon, even Diablo 2 got pretty boring at some point.

They've already reached 1mill with the humble bundle. I imagine it could top off at close to 1.1 million total, which is down from last year's total but still pretty good. Seems GDQ in general peaked last year and is now settling at around 1mill.

I have to agree though that this event hasn't been as great as previous ones, although still a good time overall. The one real disappointment was the TASbot block.

I have no clue why they always decide to end the marathon on these extremely long Jrpgs every year. They're always among the most boring runs of the marathon. If they feel like they have to show them, put them on late at night (for USA residents) during the weekdays when people won't stay up and there's no crowd anyway, not during prime viewing hours on the weekend. This year is especially awful since it was a 4 hour Jrpg followed by Super Metroid (Just a reminder they turn down shitloads of awesome runs because they don't want to do them too frequently but insist on doing a Super Metroid run literally every GDQ) followed by another 3 hour Jrpg. To me a great speedrun game would be one that can be enjoyed even by people that have never played the game before. Stuff like the Jedi Academy run and the Tetris block are great examples of this. The vast majority of RPGs make terrible speedrun games if you haven't played them because they're overly long and usually lack any interesting exploits or technical skill. It's usually just the runner navigating through prompts, following a flowchart, and just hoping he gets lucky. It's really shitty that a really fun marathon that showcases a ton of gaming communities always ends on what are historically the least interesting runs of the entire event.

jett

D-Member
I have no clue why they always decide to end the marathon on these extremely long Jrpgs every year. They're always among the most boring runs of the marathon. If they feel like they have to show them, put them on late at night (for USA residents) during the weekdays when people won't stay up and there's no crowd anyway, not during prime viewing hours on the weekend. This year is especially awful since it was a 4 hour Jrpg followed by Super Metroid (Just a reminder they turn down shitloads of awesome runs because they don't want to do them too frequently but insist on doing a Super Metroid run literally every GDQ) followed by another 3 hour Jrpg. To me a great speedrun game would be one that can be enjoyed even by people that have never played the game before. Stuff like the Jedi Academy run and the Tetris block are great examples of this. The vast majority of RPGs make terrible speedrun games if you haven't played them because they're overly long and usually lack any interesting exploits or technical skill. It's usually just the runner navigating through prompts, following a flowchart, and just hoping he gets lucky. It's really shitty that a really fun marathon that showcases a ton of gaming communities always ends on what are historically the least interesting runs of the entire event.

It's simple: they bring in a lot of donations.

Envelope

sealed with a kiss
yeah the long rpgs are a nice way to wind down, especially since i'll never have the time to play something like chrono trigger or FF6 on my own

RagnarokX

I hope if they ever remake FF6 they make Vector as epic on the world map as it should be. I always thought it was funny after all you've seen of Vector you walk to it and it's just a 4 tile big square in the middle of a lush green field.

Top Bottom