• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Summer Games Done Quick 2016 OT | July 3rd - July 10th | Gotta go fast!

So is there a reason why all these older games, especially these Game Boy games (Pokemon, Super Mario Land), have actual representations of memory in the game? Is it just a side effect that they ignored because they thought it couldn't be exploited, or is it unavoidable?

Vans

I see, I really really hope so because the engineering behind TASBot is what made this block super impressive to me.

RagnarokX

TASbot is interesting when they use it to perform glitches that aren't humanly possible and do neat things like manipulate RAM.

A straight no glitch run of VVVVVV is a bad idea for this event. We're basically just watching a TAS speedrun that was previously recorded so there's no tension.

Last year's TAS Showcase was hilarious because it was drawing nonsense on the screen and all sorts of stuff. This is...less fun. I'll watch this over the Trials run, though.

According to the schedule, the bot will play all three Nintendo Mario games at the same time with one controller. So maybe wait until the end to trash these guys

TASbot is interesting when they use it to perform glitches that aren't humanly possible and do neat things like manipulate RAM.

A straight no glitch run of VVVVVV is a bad idea for this event. We're basically just watching a TAS speedrun that was previously recorded so there's no tension.

Pretty much this. I love the glitch/memory manipulation stuff, but this is just... the game's presentation is so minimalistic/abstract that basically seeing shapes move really quickly and precisely for 17 minutes is kind of.... "ok?"

painey

According to the schedule, the bot will play all three Nintendo Mario games at the same time with one controller. So maybe wait until the end to trash these guys

That's not gunna make the previous runs any less boring. TAS always seems to have 1 good run every year and the rest is just shitty

mnz

Unconfirmed Member
I don't get it, what's the bot doing? It looks like it's 4 different inputs, not one controller!?

Envelope

sealed with a kiss
I don't get it, what's the bot doing? It looks like it's 4 different inputs, not one controller!?

identical input stream/in-game timing sequence, the games load at slightly different paces which is why it looked out of sync

Top Bottom