• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Summer Games Done Quick 2017 | July 2 - July 9 | Shout outs to...

I always wind up skipping or not paying attention to the Pokemon segments. I'm the right age for maximum Red/Blue nostalgia, but I 100% fell out of the series after that.

Ghizz

He failed the RNG at the start which is why he switched carts. If he didn't fail the RNG, he would've done the steps necessary to encounter that Raikou in the grass with a specific set of nature/stats.

He had a backup cart with the Raikou incase he fucked up. So he used it. These speed runners have to get close to the estimated time, otherwise the whole event would get fucked if the run took 4+ hours due to not having a Raikou there.

Alright this run is trash. Should have just kept trying to get it right at the beginning honestly. What fun is it if he's using different save files?

Jebusman

Banned
Alright this run is trash. Should have just kept trying to get it right at the beginning honestly. What fun is it if he's using different save files?

I mean I understand that "keep trying until you get it right" can last literally forever and honestly no one wants that, backup save lets the show go on.

But a run that was seemingly so dependent on RNG in the first place seems like a bad idea when you have ~1 shot to perform this on camera.

Especially if it's a 5+ minute wait per reset. That's just rough.

What fun is it sitting at the start of the game taking 5 minutes every reset until you hit a 32ms window? This is pretty standard for games that aren't super marathon safe.

So you want them to delay all their other games because of RNG when they're running on a schedule? lol

If you really care that much, go watch actual speedruns of the game.

Trickster

So you want them to delay all their other games games because of RNG when they're running on a schedule? lol

If you really care that much, go watch actual speedruns of the game.

While I'm not really too bothered by it. But I would honestly rather have had them use the 2 hours 40 mins on other games that aren't as reliant on rng as this.

Though I imagine it's a pretty popular game, which for an event like this I can totally understand being an important criteria for inclusion

did i miss something?
d0iF88K.png

Sometimes the super long runs are relaxing. There's an 8 hour FFVII one coming up, which I wish I could watch but not gonna stay up until 8am to do so. (but I can catch the finale at work)

Stumpokapow

listen to the mad man
I like RPG speedruns, but I don't like this RPG speedrun (25 minutes in right now) -- 7 minutes of failed setup, then a whole bunch more failure. And Pokemon is ugly to look at. I'm sure the run will pick up when stuff actually happens.

Even in a speedrun, an 8 hour no materia run of FF7 seems excruciating.

I think "No Slots" is "No using Cait Sith's Slots limit" not "no materia slots"

Raw64life

I also enjoy RPG runs and am bored to tears by this one, especially when it's not a legit run.

I'm still salty that no Dragon Quest games can seem to ever crack a GDQ, even though Dragon Warrior 1 has been completely broken and can now be beaten in under 30 minutes.

Nose Master

RPG runs are neat.
8 hours is a bit much though
I kind of wish they got rid of blocks in general, though. If a certain series/game isn't your taste, you have to wait for 5+ hours for them to get through it. Spreading it out makes it more appealing for everyone.

Y2Kev

TLG Fan Caretaker Est. 2009
I think they should time the RPG runs so they're not in prime time. Do them at 1AM or whatever. People who want to watch them can watch, but I'd love to see Symphony of the Night not at 11:30 on a Sunday night.

Keinning

I Am Bread guy went five minutes over the estimate (which is already pretty generous to begin with). Did you guys also wanted him kicked as soon as the timer ran out?

Stop taking this so seriously. If something is not up to your tastes, go watch something else - how about a VOD of a game you wanted to see but couldn't? Plenty of SGDQ yet to come.

I don't give a damn about the metroid runs. It's even worse for me because i have to keep listening about the dumb animals the entire event and i'm not complaining. You guys can endure this too.

crash-14

I don't see the joy on RPGs runs since I can't see the need of "perfect execution" that other type of games demand. I just see them as "Do the optimal strategy and have luck with the RNG".

Keinning

I don't see the joy on RPGs runs since I can't see the need of "perfect execution" that other type of games demand.

There are plenty. They're just not as easy to spot as flashy movements in an action game for instance. Go read about all the manipulation you have to do constantly in a FFI run - you'd be surprised.

That said, i think RPGs lent themselves better as races. RPG Limit Break have them and it's great.

I don't see the joy on RPGs runs since I can't see the need of "perfect execution" that other type of games demand. I just see them as "Do the optimal strategy and have luck with the RNG".
literally the reason we had to switch carts -- spawning so many whiny posts -- is because this entire route requires a frame perfect trick.

Megasoum

Banned
Granted I haven't watched every run in GFQ history (not even close) but I can't remember one time where they got to the time limit.

Also didn't they start super late? Like I feel like the original schedule said it was supposed to start around 4:30 EDT or something like that and it started around 6

Keinning

So weird watching this chaotic run after the almost perfect, WR breaking Banjo Kazooie one

Also, isn't he playing on actual hardware, why sometimes everything goes black like if he was emulating it

Wallach

So weird watching this chaotic run after the almost perfect, WR breaking Banjo Kazooie one

Also, isn't he playing on actual hardware, why sometimes everything goes black like if he was emulating it

If you mean the environment going black, it happened when he used a specific glitch to break the map loading so that he could move through an area in a way that isn't possible normally. It doesn't always do that, sometimes you just see the sprite in the wrong position on the background.

Keinning

Shoddy 3rd party capture device I assume?

Only parts of the map goes black, every sprite over it is still visible - just like a DesMuMe error i remember very well. Can shoddy 3rd party capture devices malfunction like that too? Not very used to them, i admit

If you mean the environment going black, it happened when he used a specific glitch to break the map loading so that he could move through an area in a way that isn't possible normally. It doesn't always do that, sometimes you just see the sprite in the wrong position on the background.

Ah so that's it then. Thanks. Missed the beginning of the run.

Brashnir

if you load a save that you didn't start during the run - as far as i'm concerned - your run should end

For the purposes of posting a legit time for the run, it did end.

However, since this is a marathon they had a backup plan in place to make sure people could see the rest of the game.

Top Bottom