• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Summer Games Done Quick 2017 | July 2 - July 9 | Shout outs to...

SargerusBR

I love Pokken!
RESET

crash-14

literally the reason we had to switch carts -- spawning so many whiny posts -- is because this entire route requires a frame perfect trick.

But it's something that you can get by practicing, or it's something so inconsistent that could be "random".

There are other game that also demand them but skill takes a bigger role in the success of it, for what I've seen.

Still, I'll like to understand what's the appeal on those runs so I'll try to do a bit of research.

But it's something that you can get by practicing, or it's something so inconsistent that could be "random".

There are other game that also demand them but skill takes a bigger role in the success of it, for what I've seen.

Still, I'll like to understand what's the appeal on those runs so I'll try to do a bit of research.
it's a frameperfect trick in a 30 FPS game. it's as consistent as any trick with 32ms window.

Keinning

Not feeling this run, Emerald was much more entertaining last GDQ

emerald route just have you bulldozing everything with swampert

relying on raikou makes HGSS very risky. maybe they should have went with E4 only but a safer route

This route seems pretty marathon unsafe. I guess it was accepted because the runner had backups at the ready unlike other "if I fail this the run is over" type submissions.

Shame it didn't work out against Red though, that's always a nail-biter to watch.

I think they should time the RPG runs so they're not in prime time. Do them at 1AM or whatever. People who want to watch them can watch, but I'd love to see Symphony of the Night not at 11:30 on a Sunday night.

That's what they did to FF VII. But it'll be 8 hours long though.

Kalor

Everything that could have went wrong happened. That was an enjoyable run at least, even with the rough spots.

Metroidvania

People called Romanes they go the house?
SGDQ 2017 has been murdered by a Pikachu

Rip teh urn.

I get that it's kind of timer-based, but if the official run actually includes beating Red, one would think they'd factor in some grinding somewhere to account for powering up Raikou - I can't imagine resetting over and over again would really be faster, except for that 1/256 chance or w/e that you get that many misses.

Keinning

Rip teh urn.

I get that it's kind of timer-based, but if the official run actually includes beating Red, one would think they'd factor in some grinding somewhere to account for powering up Raikou - I can't imagine resetting over and over again would really be faster, except for that 1/256 chance or w/e that you get that many misses.

Yeah, relying on "lets abuse items, hope for low hitting moves/no crits for a while and then when we set up still hope for a ton of misses anyway" doesn't sound like something you would put up on a marathon

Should have used a safer route but oh well

Ghizz

Still damn impressive though. Learnt about tweaks (where they make the maps closer together via node-lines) and he got all the way to the end (red) with only 6 total badges...

purg3

slept with Malkin
That's a first for me, never watched a run being dropped before. Hope everything turns out ok for him.

yeah that's tough to watch, especially on a stage like this. Like you said, should have considered with a less risky route.

Tall4Life

Rip teh urn.

It's kind of hard to grind Pokemon to get to those higher levels at that stage in the game unless you run the Elite 4 multiple times and do all the gyms, most wild pokemon are lower level

yeah that's tough to watch, especially on a stage like this. Like you said, should have considered with a less risky route.

Still better than the dropped FF run from last year (I think?) where we just watched a half hour of stairs before they called it.

VRMN

Yeah, relying on "lets abuse items, hope for low hitting moves/no crits for a while and then when we set up still hope for a ton of misses anyway" doesn't sound like something you would put up on a marathon

Should have used a safer route but oh well
It sounded like Red is usually RNG manipulated, but that the trick doesn't work if it's hailing. It was, he wasn't in a position to fix it, he was screwed.

KayMote

Okay, either I was missing some info or I didn't quite understand: could somebody explain to me again why he couldn't finish the run? Why was his Raikou to weak at the end? Shouldn't it have been calculated what stats Raikou should have at the end to be able to beat Pikachu?

Okay, either I was missing some info or I didn't quite understand: could somebody explain to me again why he couldn't finish the run? Why was his Raikou to weak at the end? Shouldn't it have been calculated what stats Raikou should have at the end to be able to beat Pikachu?

Explained earlier:

It sounded like Red is usually RNG manipulated, but that the trick doesn't work if it's hailing. It was, he wasn't in a position to fix it, he was screwed.

Actually leveling Raikou to the point the battle can be consistently won without RNG manipulation would have brought the run far, far beyond the projected 2h40m.

But like what, bro?

Failed a few times at the beginning to get the rng seed he needed. Booted a safe save... and it was also the wrong seed. So the entire beginning of the game was a lot slower than usual.

Booted a new safe save to get the right Raikou.

Missed thunder, hit with crit, missed charge beam for an e4 loss.

Missed thunder multiple times against Karen's umbreon requiring an extra heal.

Hit an extra encounter requiring a reset which lost another 5 minutes.

Messed up the rng seeding before Blue (forgot to teach flash). Had to restart 2 or 3 times.

Missed the rng seed for Red which made the whole run unbeatable.

TUSR

Banned
dear mods who read this

please change the subtitle to "Greetings from Germany"

it makes me laugh everytime

thanks,

tusr

Keinning

People were already telling me i was too old to be gaming when this runner was being born

Oh god more feels than the brothers run

~Kinggi~

Banned
This dude got pretty hair

i dont know but no joke i was thinking 'this girl is cute' cause there is a resemblance to Chloe Grace Moretz and then i started to hear the voice and then i got all confused and i dont know what to think anymore.

Ashby

i dont know but no joke i was thinking 'this girl is cute' cause there is a resemblance to Chloe Grace Moretz and then i started to hear the voice and then i got all confused and i dont know what to think anymore.

And he's only 17 so you got that layer to deal with too lmao

Top Bottom