• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Summer Games Done Quick 2017 | July 2 - July 9 | Shout outs to...

Blizzard

Banned
Eh, he seems to be doing relatively simple tricks to completely break the puzzles. And stuff like the glitch jump height being tied to framerate.
Is he playing the latest patched version?

I'll echo the sentiment that The Talos Principle is a VERY well made game, and I'd recommend not watching the speedrun if you're at all interested in playing it, because it will ruin the environments and story. It's my favorite first-person puzzle game since Portal 2, along with The Witness. They've also done a bunch of post-release patches to fix bugs, improve performance, add Vulkan, etc. There's also a well-received expansion.

If you feel Steam reviews have any weight at all, I'll point out the game is still at 95% positive out of 11,849 reviews. That's fairly rare as far as I know.

RoadHazard

Gold Member
Is he playing the latest patched version?

I'll echo the sentiment that The Talos Principle is a VERY well made game, and I'd recommend not watching the speedrun if you're at all interested in playing it, because it will ruin the environments and story. It's my favorite first-person puzzle game since Portal 2, along with The Witness. They've also done a bunch of post-release patches to fix bugs, improve performance, add Vulkan, etc. There's also a well-received expansion.

If you feel Steam reviews have any weight at all, I'll point out the game is still at 95% positive out of 11,849 reviews. That's fairly rare as far as I know.

I'm sure it's a great experience if played as intended. Just saying that almost every puzzle can seemingly be broken with relative ease, and as such the game is not all that well made and/or designed.

Blizzard

Banned
I'm sure it's a great experience if played as intended. Just saying that almost every puzzle can seemingly be broken with relative ease, and as such the game is not all that well made and/or designed.
All I can say is that I respectfully disagree. I have 49 hours played on Steam, and I spent a good bit of time painstakingly combing the game TRYING to break things, get out of bounds, etc. since the game sometimes has optional secrets in places like that.

I was playing at a normal framerate though.

Stoze

Judging how well a game is designed or made based off watching a speedrunner who's spent probably hundreds of hours getting good at specifically breaking the game seems totally logical.

I'm guessing you don't think Half-Life 2 was well made and/or designed well either (or most first person PC games here) considering that speedrunner used similar tricks to avoid playing the intended way almost the entire time.

T.O.P

Banned
That Metroid Prime couch

BlueMagic

All I can say is that I respectfully disagree. I have 49 hours played on Steam, and I spent a good bit of time painstakingly combing the game TRYING to break things, get out of bounds, etc. since the game sometimes has optional secrets in places like that.

I was playing at a normal framerate though.

I second this, exactly same experience.

NotLiquid

PJ is one of my favorite runners and Bionic Commando Rearmed is one of my favorite games.

Been looking forward to this run immensely.

jett

D-Member

I didn't break shit when I played Talos.

It's a great game and very well designed. You can't judge it based on some speed run.

Lelex

Neo Member
I loved Bionic Commando Rearmed when it came out. I think it was my first downloadable PS3 game.

Chrono Trigger now, right? So hyped!

espher

Did Chrono Trigger get moved earlier in the schedule or did I just have the start time wrong?

Guess I'll have to rewatch the first 45 later.

I think this is one of the most naive things I've read on this forum. The game is amazing and one of the best games made over the past few years with great world and puzzle design. Saying it's not well made or designed because of a speedrun is ridiculous.

FSLink

Banned
I think this is one of the most naive things I've read on this forum. The game is amazing and one of the best games made over the past few years with great world and puzzle design. Saying it's not well made or designed because of a speedrun is ridiculous.
Agreed unless he means it in a literal sense like how I think Pokémon Red/Blue aren't exactly well made in areas with how silly the programming is in places and led to hilarious bugs.

Brashnir

No way man, it's totally fair to judge a game based on a speedrun. That's why Super Mario world and Link to the Past are two of the worst games ever made. They can both be beaten in like a minute. You spend longer blowing on the cartridge than playing the damn game.

TONX

Distinguished Air Superiority
$20,000 has been donated on this past hour alone for the Chrono Trigger run. Crazy!

Quoting from a TAS explanation:

Normally, when a character with the Green Dream is defeated, he automatically revives. However, when two RNG conditions are satisfied, the game temporarily considers him as dead. and if the other two characters are really dead at that point, he becomes unable to use an item on enemies instead of himself. If you use an Elixir on an enemy and the sum of its current HP and the HP heal is more than 32768(0x8000), that causes overflow and does instant kill. Inner Lavos has 20000 HP; Lavos Core has 30000 HP. Therefore, you can immediately finish those battles with the glitch. This is why I had to get a Green Dream and an Elixer from the configuration setting address.

Also, for some reason, the glitch never occurs if the character has any status effect such as protect or chaos on him/her. I guess this is why the trick had not discovered for a long time.

Ultratech

That Elixir Overflow glitch was pretty cool. Didn't know you could even do something like that in CT.

I'm eagerly awaiting the Tetris block, though it comes on quite late over where I'm at, so I prolly won't get to see all of it. :(

Oh my god, I never realized that there were Marlboro logo looking Mario signs in MK64, how did that get past localization? lol

Edit: Oh, it didn't make it past localization. Replaced with a Lucky Star looking one. Wow, that flew wide over my head.

Top Bottom